2015 WIG CHALLENGE

mshoneyfly

divachyk

You're wayy too nice, girl. Grown people asking a bunch of questions about your hair is just deliberately disrespectful. They know better. I think they're just doing it bc you have allowed it. I wouldn't stand for it. They know not to say the wrong thing to ME on my job.

I dont even try to hide the fact that its a wig. All I care about is that it looks good. I tweeze the part, I add concealer, I slick my edges but I don't give a hoot if people know it's a wig. Heck I wear a different one about every three days! Different colors, different textures, curly AND straight!

When I first started wearing them and people inquired (with compliments first), I would say, "girl, this is a wig!" Somedays people would say "now that one looks like a sew in" or "that one looks very believable; except for all the extra length" (I like 'em extra long ;) )

Lots of people wear them at my job but they wear the same one for months in hopes that people will forget its a wig. I think thats when people will have the most to say about it, though.

I hope you wear the bob soon and I hope it gives you an extra spring in your step, too :)

I LOVE this HHJ!!

GGsKin

divachyk

You're wayy too nice, girl. Grown people asking a bunch of questions about your hair is just deliberately disrespectful. They know better. I think they're just doing it bc you have allowed it. I wouldn't stand for it. They know not to say the wrong thing to ME on my job.

I dont even try to hide the fact that its a wig. All I care about is that it looks good. I tweeze the part, I add concealer, I slick my edges but I don't give a hoot if people know it's a wig. Heck I wear a different one about every three days! Different colors, different textures, curly AND straight!

When I first started wearing them and people inquired (with compliments first), I would say, "girl, this is a wig!" Somedays people would say "now that one looks like a sew in" or "that one looks very believable; except for all the extra length" (I like 'em extra long ;) )

Lots of people wear them at my job but they wear the same one for months in hopes that people will forget its a wig. I think thats when people will have the most to say about it, though.

I hope you wear the bob soon and I hope it gives you an extra spring in your step, too :)

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I embraced this sentiment, exactly.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Yeah, I'm not like that on my job mshoneyfly. None of us are really. We've talked a range of subjects (excluding the no-no subjects: race, sexual orientation, etc) in the past, including hair. So yes, I've allowed hair discussions in the past. Now that it's fake hair, I'm not so interested.

ETA: ITA...changing them up frequently, generates less reaction. I rotate 3 frequently, even in the same week and no one says anything. Coming in with a short one would generate buzz momentarily but it likely will die off quickly thereafter.

I'm thinking of debuting in spring since it's short and would work best for hotter temps.

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Ladies, I have arrived! Thanks for the invite divachyk . I don't own any wigs yet, but after I scroll through this thread I should have some ideas.

divachyk

I'm due to wash this weekend. Will try a head full of 2 strand twists vs. braids. Braids are so time consuming to put in and take out. I'm looking for ways to save time on wash day. Hoping the 2 strand twists work out.

BonBon

I just created a braid out effect on a previously straight synthetic wig that was on the way out. It looks so pretty, why didn't I think of this ages ago LOL. :drunk:

I used to dip my kanekalon extensions in boiling water back in the day but wasn't so sure as it tends to leave it with a shiny hard look sometimes. My wig looks very natural. Happy.

ForestRose

Are wigs a good idea for thinning edges? I need to cover my hair up but I'm scared weaves, box braids and twists will be too tight. Wigs seems to be a good option because I then have access to my hair and I can still keep a track of whats going on in there.
Can wigs effect edges?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Are wigs a good idea for thinning edges? I need to cover my hair up but I'm scared weaves, box braids and twists will be too tight. Wigs seems to be a good option because I then have access to my hair and I can still keep a track of whats going on in there.
Can wigs effect edges?

xxlalaxx
Yes they can. Keep your edges moisturized. I moisturize all around my edges and apply an edge product before I put on my wig caps. Find wig caps that are gentle to your hair especially around your edges. Ensure that your wig is fitting securely so that there is no slippage that can cause rubbing. Pay attention to your edges especially if you use glue or tape with your lace fronts.

divachyk

Can wigs effect edges?

xxlalaxx In addition to what january noir stated, I try to ensure the wig cap is touching my edges, not the wig or the lace.

divachyk

Bumped in to a neighbor / friend / church member at the grocery store and she was like, who did your hair. She thought my bob wig was a sew-in. That made me feel good. :yep:

Last edited:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Got my first wig a few weeks ago and now I'm addicted.

1.How long do you plan on wigging it (3months, the entire year, between other protective styles, etc.): 3 months then for a few weeks at a time between sew-ins during the summer/early fall then back to wigs full time around late September.

2.Purpose of joining challenge (protective styling, low manipulation, hair retention, etc.): low manipulation and hair retention

3.Whether you are: natural, relaxed [texlaxed, bonelaxed, texturized, etc.], transitioning: natural

4.Current hair length: MBL (technically WL but I'm not claiming that until more of my hair gets there)

5.Styling choice of hidden hair (ie. Beehive, plaits, cornrows, etc.) cornrows or plaits

6.Photo of your starting point (if you have hair growth goals, and/or just want to share): I'll post pics later.

7.Photo of any wigs you are currently wearing and/or hope to wear: I have more of a list, not pics but I'll try to add some later

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
After a few flexi rods and a dip in boiling water. I really love this wig! (I hope the pic isn't huge. I'm on my phone). It's the beautician friends wig, I think the style is campbell (just in case anyone was wondering)

Attachments

• image-329401093.jpg
    image-329401093.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 126