BORAX has saved my scalp!

Ann0804

I've used borax when I first started going natural after watching a Youtube video of someone using it. It actually did not harm my hair at all. I just diluted it in water, applied it to my hair and my hair was really clean, not dried out in anyway. It was like an ACV rinse. I would use it again since I had great results.

abcd09

Here's my review:

I used the borax tonight hopefully to combat a) scalp film and b) itch. I bought it from the grocery store, diluted 1.5 tb in 2 cups water, and tried to pour on my scalp only, but the watery mixture inevitably got to my hair. My scalp had been itching so SO bad this week. I did have a film that also left gray patches at my roots and is very difficult to remove. I thought this was buildup, but I don't put anything near my roots besides a small amount of oil, so I guess it was fungus. Dandruff shampoos doesn't work for me.

Anyway, I put the borax on my scalp and it immediately itched less, like 80% less. There's no "cooling" sensation like with tea tree oil or dandruff shampoo, which I guess is simply a cover up for a symptom, not a treatment. I rubbed the borax on my roots and my scalp to remove any gunk. I left the borax on for an hour. My fiance walked in on me and almost flipped when he figured out I was using "laundry soap" on my hair :lol:.

Rinsing was easy, but there's still a slight film despite me rinsing and scrubbing for 45 mins. I am 4 months post relaxer, so this may have something to do with the water not getting to my scalp as easy. There's still less itching than before, which is great, but I'll be very happy when there is less "gunk". My hair did feel a little stripped and dry, and tangly (but not a lot of tangles) I have to be careful being this long without a relaxer because my hair matted in the past, but for some reason it isn't as much with this stretch (knock on wood). Could be my conditioner. I put on my "miracle" conditioner (I apply Humecto then Humective) and have it on now. I probably won't rinse for another 2 hours because I'm afraid of having dry hair.

I'll do an update with the condition of my scalp and my hair sometime tomorrow.

abcd09

My scalp has maintained the reduced itch rate:yep:. Still a little itchy, but I'll blame that on the dry winter air. Still seems to be some buildup despite rinsing my dc out for a long time and stroking the roots with a cloth. Borax left my hair length the same as a clarifying shampoo. Make sure you dc afterwards.

ChocoKitty

I'll be trying this out this weekend. My scalp has been pretty gunky since I haven't been able to use Nizoral faithfully. I just ordered some citric acid yesterday and it should arrive today. I'm quite excited about this. My hair has been acting funky for a while now... No pun intended. :look:

silenttullip

I want to try it but I'm scared. My scalp over produces sebum so it's frequently oily. I've gotten rid of the itch with coconut oil massages and pre pooing with it but I would love to be free of waxy build up of sebum. I've tried many things...
Any more updates?

ChocoKitty

I'm still using it. My hair seems way thicker as a a result. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Just make sure you rinse with citric acid. I think distilled water with citric acid makes my hair even smoother.

sapphire18

i think there's some confusion between borax & boric acid. boric acid is a compound found in many eye solutions; you can make your own natural eyewash with it. also boric acid suppositories are used as a natural remedy for yeast infections, not borax. i have personally used it myself as instructed by my naturopath & it works wonders for keeping your natural ph in balance. can someone else chime in & clarify? thanks!

silenttullip hairoffire la mosca update:

I know this is an old thread but... I think some of ya'll are confusing Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) with Boric Acid. Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) is alkaline with a ph of 8. Borax has a ph just a bit lower than baking soda both are used to balance the ph of swimming pools. Boric Acid is a weak acid not an alkaline. So anyone who is worried about Boric Acid does not need to worry about using Borax (Sodium Tetraborate). They are not the same chemical. You can check the ingredients on the side of the box.

Borax occurs naturally in evaporite deposits produced by the repeated evaporation of seasonal lakes. The most commercially important deposits are found in Turkey; Boron, California; and Searles Lake, California. Also, Borax has been found at many other locations in the Southwestern United States, the Atacama desert in Chile, newly-discovered deposits in Bolivia, and in Tibet and Romania. Borax can also be produced synthetically from other boron compounds. 20 Mule Team Borax is naturally derived. Borax is even present in some tooth bleaching formulas. But please do not put Borax in your mouth.

Borax should be safe for most healthy adults hair, we put a lot of things that are far more harmful to us internally in our hair than Borax. For example Lye. Lye is a strong alkali, producing highly basic solutions. Both wet lye and dry lye solutions are highly caustic and may cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness. Lye may be fatal if swallowed.

You can read more about Borax (Sodium Teraborate) here.

Last edited:

nlamr2013

Any updates? I always have this smell even right after I wash on my scalp. And there is always this scaly flaky type thing on my hairline. I'm going to try this. Thank you all.

abcd09

Any updates? I always have this smell even right after I wash on my scalp. And there is always this scaly flaky type thing on my hairline. I'm going to try this. Thank you all.
@nadaa16 I have been using borax regularly since last posting here, either in Jan or Feb, and while I haven't been doing long treatments, I do have something to say

BORAX HAS STOPPED, YES STOPPED, MY HORRIBLE KNOTS AND TANGLES!!!

I am nearly 6 months post relaxer and I have fine 4bcish hair and let me tell you, before using borax I was getting KNOTS and MATTING so bad I would have to cut out chunks of hair. Even my relaxed-straight hair liked to wrap around itself and knot badly.Last year I was making countless threads and posts here about how to get rid of knots and dredding and matting. I was frustrated, hopeless, felt helpless, depressed. Now I have gone 4 months without a mat problem except last week when I reduced the borax for a cowash. Now I;m back to it and guess what, they're gone!

It seems like the borax loosens, makes the strands lay "on their own" or stops the wrapping that previously caused 2 inch long knots.

I don't even lose a lot of hair when combing after I'm done! Less than half a penny! I used to lose so much. I wish I had a picture. It's AMAZING.

The key is using about two tablespoons diluted in 2 cups water per side of the head. I know its the borax and not the chicoro prepoo because for the last two weeks I tried only using half a teaspoon of borax on each side, continued my regular routine of prepoo, rinse with small amount of borax, and then deep condition and my knots came back!!!! Now after two washing sessions with MORE borax (back to 2 tablespoons or more per side) my hair is back to being virtually tangle free with 3.5 inches of new growth!!! Plus, it's softer.

I know someone will think I'm crazy for this, but I will never ever do a long term stretch or wash with anything else. I was going to make a thread about this for long term stretchers but I'm not sure what they'll say!

Last edited:

yardyspice

@nadaa16 I have been using borax regularly since last posting here, either in Jan or Feb, and while I haven't been doing long treatments, I do have something to say

I am nearly 6 months post relaxer and I have fine 4bcish hair and let me tell you, before using borax I was getting KNOTS and MATTING so bad I would have to cut out chunks of hair. Even my relaxed-straight hair liked to wrap around itself and knot badly.Last year I was making countless threads and posts here about how to get rid of knots and dredding and matting. I was frustrated, hopeless, felt helpless, depressed. Now I have gone 4 months without a mat problem except last week when I reduced the borax for a cowash. Now I;m back to it and guess what, they're gone!

It seems like the borax loosens, makes the strands lay "on their own" or stops the wrapping that previously caused 2 inch long knots.

I don't even lose a lot of hair when combing after I'm done! Less than half a penny! I used to lose so much. I wish I had a picture. It's AMAZING.

The key is using about two tablespoons diluted in 2 cups water per side of the head. I know its the borax and not the chicoro prepoo because for the last two weeks I tried only using half a teaspoon of borax on each side, continued my regular routine of prepoo, rinse with small amount of borax, and then deep condition and my knots came back!!!! Now after two washing sessions with MORE borax (back to 2 tablespoons or more per side) my hair is back to being virtually tangle free with 3.5 inches of new growth!!! Plus, it's softer.

I know someone will think I'm crazy for this, but I will never ever do a long term stretch or wash with anything else. I was going to make a thread about this for long term stretchers but I'm not sure what they'll say!

I have to try this!! Thanks for posting because I have been wrestling with tangles and knots and I am close to flatiron which is not great for my fine strands.

yardyspice

Any updates??

I tried it and I liked it :grin: It was weird because my hair felt clean but not tangled. It was great on my scalp and kept the itchies away for a while. I am definitely adding it to my routine especially since I always have borax for my laundry. Thanks for the suggestion.

abcd09

I tried it and I liked it :grin: It was weird because my hair felt clean but not tangled. It was great on my scalp and kept the itchies away for a while. I am definitely adding it to my routine especially since I always have borax for my laundry. Thanks for the suggestion.
I LOVE Borax! I'm glad it worked for you.:yep: I was hoping it wasn't just a one-time, one-person miracle. I plan on using it to stretch my relaxers to 4-5 months and shampoo.

Oh and I used Borax a week before my relaxer and my hair turned out very nice :) So no relaxer side effects :yay:

CityGirlLuv

Any recent updates with this stuff. Besides in helping the scalp, does it also help in combating dry hair? I'm thinking of trying it today.

JeterCrazed

Used it Friday after I took my braids out. With regular shampoo, getting the flakes out is impossible after having it braided up and working out all week. Simple as 1-2-3.

nlamr2013

Thank you for thereply IDK how I missed this. I do remember trying it but I think I tried doing a scalp treatment. I think I will buy some more and put some into my con argan oil sulfate free wash and see what happens!

abcd09

Any recent updates with this stuff. Besides in helping the scalp, does it also help in combating dry hair? I'm thinking of trying it today.
CityGirlLuv I have dry hair, and I believe the borax has helped my hair accept moisture better by 50%(I always DC after). I still have problems with ends, but I have fine hair so I don't know if any product or technique will change that. I'm still looking for a good daily moisturizer.

I used Borax a week before my relaxer (in May after 8 month stretch), and it went fine. I'm having to do another long stretch and won't be able to relax till November which will be 7 months.I still use borax instead of shampoo (no shampoo unless I have buildup) and combined with the prepoo it is helpingMy new growth is very manageable.

Black Ambrosia

I'm going to have to give this another try. I mixed it before and applied it as a spot treatment but didn't experience any relief. Also, it didn't mix well and I had some difficulty getting it out of my hair as it was braided. Maybe I'll put it in the blender and give it another try. I'm encouraged by all the positive results everyone is having.

natural_one

I'm going to have to give this another try. I mixed it before and applied it as a spot treatment but didn't experience any relief. Also, it didn't mix well and I had some difficulty getting it out of my hair as it was braided. Maybe I'll put it in the blender and give it another try. I'm encouraged by all the positive results everyone is having.

I would definitely suggest you try it again. This time mix it well with warm water and apply it all over the scalp and let it sit for a while. I haven't had any scalp problems since I have been using this...