BORAX has saved my scalp!

morehairplease

JeterCrazed

@JeterCrazed did you do 2 cups of water to the 1/4 cup of borax? I plan to use a spary bottle like @Muse and wanted to ask to make sure.

Also, is this the essiac tea http://www.essiacproducts.com/?gclid=CNPPupvYzawCFQqb7Qod-3JPpw?

thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

Yes. That is correct. 1/4 cup with 2 cups water instead of 4. Lazy :drunk:
NO. That is NOT Essiac Tea :stop:. That is some shortcut crap. Get Flora brand Flor Essence. Amazon is the cheapest I've found at $23 for a box of 2 or $30 for 1 pre-made 17oz bottle. The one box makes 4 of those bottles.

JeterCrazed

Oh, and @natural_one, It's going on two days without :couchfire:

natural_one

JeterCrazed That gif is exactly how I feel. :lachen: For me, I still haven't had any flaking or funk. I'm hoping this is longterm so maybe now I can press my hair and wear it out for longer than 3 days.

Guitarhero

Thanks everyone for your concerns, but this has been the only thing to relieve me of my scalp issues. As with everything on LHCF, there are some things that aren't for everyone so take my review with a grain of salt. If I have any adverse reactions I will definitely up this thread to warn everyone. Here's an article to give another opinion of Borax. http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/borax.html

For those that are interested, the recipe is

1/2 cup of Borax
4 cups of warm water

I mixed in a blender to make sure it mixed well. I poured it over my scalp and let it sit for 1 hr and then co washed.

Do you follow with a citric acid rinse afterwards? I'm wondering if it's necessary or just something that 1a-2b's do because they don't want to feel gummy/greasy hair???

Muse

I just bought a 4lb box of Borax (20 Mules brand) at Target for only $2.99! I also checked out the FAQ's from the manufacturer's site. Maybe it will help clear up the confusion between BORIC ACID and BORAX.

What are the ingredients in 20 Mule Team® Borax?

20 Mule Team is composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.)
Is 20 Mule Team® Borax Laundry Booster the same as boric acid?

No, Boric Acid is an acid formed from the reaction of borax with sulfuric acid or another mineral.
How much Borax is in 20 Mule Team?

20 Mule Team® Borax is comprised of 99.5% pure borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.) The remaining 0.5% is composed of trace minerals.

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about

So as long as you don't go mixing the borax with sulfuric acid or any other minerals you should be fine. I know we have a lot of mixologists on here.:lol:

natural_one

Do you follow with a citric acid rinse afterwards? I'm wondering if it's necessary or just something that 1a-2b's do because they don't want to feel gummy/greasy hair???

No, I didnt do a citric acid rinse, I just deep conditioned. I didnt experience any gummy feeling hair.

Guitarhero

Guitarhero
You were right in both cases.

Borax: http://www.amazon.com/Vitanica-Yeast-Arrest-28-Suppository/dp/B0002BB6YQ

Boric Acid:
http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/DrHudson-_ep_41-1.html

Borax us just salt of boric acid. Both have exact same applications.

Muse Anyone with sulfuric acid at home who doesn't know that is running a meth lab :lol:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

No,

I meant to say boric acid capsules for yeast infection and corrected it. I said "borax" by accident. I didn't mean any other such thing as I was referring to vaginal yeast infection treatment as something I have personally used. I'm correcting my own statement based upon what I meant to say pertaining to that specific treatment that I have experience with. Just making that one statement clear.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

No, I didnt do a citric acid rinse, I just deep conditioned. I didnt experience any gummy feeling hair.

I'm going to be using the borax for my feet (after tennis shoes, I have a problem with fungus...yikes!) as well as making my own soap this week off. :meme: So happy to finally be trying it. I was going to try years ago and finally, I'm going to dive in. There are so many recipes and I have an HE machine and don't wanna kill it. But anyhoo, I didn't know if people realized that Borax is one of the ingredients used to make detergents and not. It's so safe and I'm glad you found something that works! I think it's probably better than the polysorbate-80 folks were using for cleansing some years ago. If my homemade shikakai gel soap (from shaved bar soap) doesn't cut it, I'm heading for the borax. I tried the water cleansing method but you have to be so patient...6 weeks to normalize. Borax seems to be the stuff!!

As for returning symptoms, I'd say to make sure your hair and scalp are dry before sleeping. Don't bun with damp hair and try neem capsules or even homemade garlic oil (with coconut) for the scalp and take coconut oil internally. Prescription Fluconazole works well...but it's murder on the liver and you have to be so freaking careful.

Last edited:

JeterCrazed

No,

I meant to say boric acid capsules for yeast infection and corrected it. I said "borax" by accident. I didn't mean any other such thing as I was referring to vaginal yeast infection treatment as something I have personally used. I'm correcting my own statement based upon what I meant to say pertaining to that specific treatment that I have experience with. Just making that one statement clear.

Oh, ok. Cuz you were calling Moses like it was an emergency. :lol:

natural_one

Update: Well, I made it a whole week without having to wash or apply tea tree oil. I plan on washing this evening just out of habit, not because i need it. My hair still smells fresh and there is no flaking. How is everyone else's scalp that tried this?

Muse

I just tried it this morning and it loos like a keeper so far. I poured the mixture over my head and massaged my scalp. i tried to let it sit for a while but I couldn't even make it 15 minutes before getting annoyed with the dripping. I jumped in the shower, rinsed, shampooed, then conditioned. Talk about soft hair! You ladies were right even after just the borax it's so soft! I only shampooed after borax for good measure to make sure I had gotten all of the gunk out. Next time I'll only use borax as shampoo. I scratched my scalp and there was NOTHING under my nails for the first time in years! I feel like I have my scalp back!

I did see one small spot in the front when I parted my hair that somehow I didn't get with the borax or shampoo but next time I'll let the borax sit longer and that may help. Also I'm going to use an applicator bottle next time. I started with a spray bottle and that got too awkward so I just ended up dumping it on my head.

la mosca

How interesting! I would love to try this, but does anyone have any thoughts on the pH of borax (I saw somewhere that it is about 9.5) and what the effect of that might be on the hair?

Avyn

From the dangers I found during my research, I stand by my opinion! Because something is an ingredient in something else does not mean you should use it without research, for other areas. Who knows the exact measurements that are used in eyedrops or for yeast infection medicine. It could become poisonous with more potenency, just like alcohol. And absorption into the scalp is near the same as ingesting it. There was a thread about "Tea Rinses" a while back that was started cause some of us ladies had a reaction to the caffeine in the tea which caused extreme nervousness, distress with breathing and for me ultimately problems with my Anxiety Disorder. And that was through the scalp. Then you never no what it could do to the actual "Hair" itself. Just better safe than sorry! :rolleyes: :yep:

Boric acid & borax aren't the same

Sent from my SCH-R915 using SCH-R915

natural_one

How interesting! I would love to try this, but does anyone have any thoughts on the pH of borax (I saw somewhere that it is about 9.5) and what the effect of that might be on the hair?

la mosca If you are worried about the PH of your hair afterwards, you can do an ACV rinse to restore balance.

hairoffire

I'm so glad it worked for you. It worked for me and i did a bunch a research before i used it. It got my hair back right. I know everyone won't agree but this stuff worked for me. I wouldn't suggest drinking it or anything:lol: but it worked on my scalp and yes i does cure yeast infections too. Some doctors even prescribe borax suppositories for infections.

i think there's some confusion between borax & boric acid. boric acid is a compound found in many eye solutions; you can make your own natural eyewash with it. also boric acid suppositories are used as a natural remedy for yeast infections, not borax. i have personally used it myself as instructed by my naturopath & it works wonders for keeping your natural ph in balance. can someone else chime in & clarify? thanks!

Muse

@la mosca If you are worried about the PH of your hair afterwards, you can do an ACV rinse to restore balance.

2nd what natural one said. The guy in the youtube video used borax to wash and ACV to "condition". I just rely on my regular conditioner (Joico) to bring the pH back down.

My mom twisted my hair tonight and I asked her if she saw any gunk and she said no. I'm about to start shouting in the isle like JeterCrazed.:lachen:

JeterCrazed

When I was living in Irvington, NJ, the pH of the tap was 8.5. :ohwell: I tested it after trying to figure out why my discus kept dying :(. Just saying...

JeterCrazed

I just tried it this morning and it loos like a keeper so far. I poured the mixture over my head and massaged my scalp. i tried to let it sit for a while but I couldn't even make it 15 minutes before getting annoyed with the dripping. I jumped in the shower, rinsed, shampooed, then conditioned. Talk about soft hair! You ladies were right even after just the borax it's so soft! I only shampooed after borax for good measure to make sure I had gotten all of the gunk out. Next time I'll only use borax as shampoo. I scratched my scalp and there was NOTHING under my nails for the first time in years! I feel like I have my scalp back!

I did see one small spot in the front when I parted my hair that somehow I didn't get with the borax or shampoo but next time I'll let the borax sit longer and that may help. Also I'm going to use an applicator bottle next time. I started with a spray bottle and that got too awkward so I just ended up dumping it on my head.

EXACTLY!! I felt like Herman Cain. :rolleyes:

morehairplease

Ladies thanks again for this thread! I purchased a box of borax from Walmart for $2.98 Friday. So far, my scalp does not itch and it feels like it is actually breathing for once. Hopefully, I will continue to see improvement with this treatment as I plan to do it weekly for 6 months and track my progress.

Last edited:

Muse

Ladies thanks again for this thread! I purchased a box of borax from Walmart for $2.98 Friday. So far, my scalp does not itch and it feels like it is actually breathing for once. Hopefully, I will continue to see improvement with this treatment as I plan to do it weekly for 6 months and track my progress.

:yep: :yep::yep: @ the bolded!

natural_one

I had planned on washing my hair Friday night but I really see a need to cause my hair still was smelling fresh with no flakes, so today is Wednesday and I still havent washed it. Still no flakes or gunk! The borax really worked!!

kandiekj100

I washed with Borax on Sunday night. So far so good. I'll be going to the gym tonight and tomorrow night, so I'll see how I'm holding up after that. My goal is to be able to sport flatironed hair for more than a week without feeling like I'm going to dig a hole straight to my brain.

Muse

I had planned on washing my hair Friday night but I really see a need to cause my hair still was smelling fresh with no flakes, so today is Wednesday and I still havent washed it. Still no flakes or gunk! The borax really worked!!

How long has it been since you last washed? I'm trying to stretch to 2 weeks now that I'm wearing twists. The borax hasn't completely taken away the itch for me 100% but it's not NEARLY as bad as it was and I'm not getting a fingernail full of gunk after scratching. I think I just left it on for too short of a time so hopefully the next treatment should rid me of the itch 100%.

natural_one

Muse I havent washed since last Friday..So tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

I left mine on for 1 hr so maybe leaving it on longer will help. As far as the drips, i pulled it back into a ponytail and kept a towel handy.

abcd09

bump! is everyone experiencing good results?

after trying witch hazel, I still have some weird grayish buildup on my scalp despite clarifying. This week I've had some intense itching as well, although I wonder if it's from shampoo.

I plan on using the borax tomorrow. I hope I can stop the itchies and make the embarrassing build up go away!