do you scrub your scalp when washing your hair?

blackberry815

Good afternoon LHCF ladies,

just curious to know your thoughts on scrubbing the scalp? is it good or bad? do you think it can lead to breakage? is it better to wash the hair more often to avoid build up on the scalp and therefore avoid scalp scrubbing? how do you make sure your scalp is clean without scrubbing if you don't scrub?

Thank ya to those who choose answer!

ETA

I asked because I read somewhere that in addition to causing abrasions and causing damage to the scalp scratching your scalp can cause Trichorrhexis nodosa (mid strand splits), and breakage from the roots.. and removes the protective layer of the hair at the roots... basically from researching the effects of scratching I got curious to know if scrubbing the scalp has the same effect on the hair closest to the roots since its a similar motion and in some cases the same motion since alot of people use nails when they scrub....and of course because of this I'm thinking that I dont wanna scrub my scalp any more.... It especially makes sense to me because my crown (where I usually scratch and rub my scalp the most throughout the day) has short broken off pieces So I'm convinced and there will be no more scratching the scalp for me no matter how sore or itchy... but what to do about washing?? how do you get a clean scalp sans scrubbing? lol

I am considering washing my hair more often to avoid any scalp build up so I can just wash my hair and let the water run over my scalp instead of scrubbing to get a clean scalp..

Last edited:

faithVA

I scrub with the pad of my fingers prior to washing. I part the hair and then scrub the scalp. Then when I wash I do put the shampoo/conditioning cleanser and work it into the scalp that way.

The action shouldn't be rough. It shouldn't really be different than giving yourself a scalp massage. I wash 1x a week and cowash 1x a week and I still scrub with the pads of my fingers. My scalp feels much better this way.

I don't know that my scalp would be clean without it.

Aireen

Do you mean scrub with something abrasive similar to what people use to exfoliate their face? :look:

I just use my fingertips to gently lift any dandruff off my scalp with a sulfate shampoo. It also kind of lifts scabs but not purposely - when this happens the area is a little tender but heals well. If my scalp needs extra care, I use a conditioner containing zinc pyrithone just on the scalp and that helps with dandruff.

I really don't think anything extra is needed to "scrub" your scalp. I feel like anything else would be too harsh.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I scrub by using a finger massaging motion with the pads of my fingers. I've never given it much thought if it's good/bad. I would assume it's safe since I'm not using my finger nails or other sharp objects. No matter the frequency of washing, I always use the same massaging method to lift anything resting on the scalp and to massage in product.

Nonie

I use finger pads to massage my scalp. I consider it a very good thing for loosening dirt and increasing circulation. In fact, it is this very action that is the highlight of my hair journey. It is why I look forward to washing my hair every 3-4 days. I do this during the shampoo application and during the rinse. I don't do it during conditioning (In fact, I avoid my scalp by skipping the inch of my hair closest to it completely), but when rinsing out conditioner, I do massage my scalp to makes sure any traces of conditioner have been "erased" from my scalp. Then I repeat the massage after dunking my head in a solution of ACV and essential oils of lavender and rosemary.

Aah... thinking about it all is heaven!

tenderheaded

My hair tangles in the shower, so I scritch with the end of a giant rattail comb while pre-poo has been in 30-60 min, then scritch again after the deep con/Wen. This works great for me.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I use the pads of my fingers when I wash/ cowash

wanakee

I wear latex gloves when I shampoo / co-wash, this allows me to use my nails on my scalp (feels like my scalp gets cleaner than using the pads of my fingers). The gloves protect my scalp from being scratched and protect my nails and cuticles from being snagged on my hair.

shtow

If I have any flakes, I lift them with a comb prior to washing. I use the pads of my fingers in the shower as I think using nails is unsanitary and can lead to irritation.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I also wear gloves on my scalp in the shower. I just like the way it glides through my hair. I still use the pads of my fingers to wash my scalp tho. Also, I rely acv rinses to help prevent build up. And, since I keep oils on my scalp often, I periodically make a brown sugar scalp scrub (brown sugar, jojoba oil and peppermint eo) and gently massage that around my scalp.

I've had no problems with scalp build up or abrasions.

knt1229

I massage my scalp. It feels good and my scalp gets clean. Although, I don't use a lot of products so I don't have build up.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I scrub with the balls of my fingers but sometimes I can't help it because I have so much build up from co-washing that I like to get in really good and scratch. *shrugs* Doesn't seem to be irritating my scalp unless I get too aggressive. It happens. If you're going to scrub I'd say get your fingers through your hair and on the scalp. Does that make sense? Like don't scrub your scalp on top of your hair...makes sense? LOL

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm another scalp massager. I don't have a problem of buildup, dandruff, or scabs. I use my finger pads, gently massage in circular motions, and rinse as thoroughly as I can. I use sulfate free, mostly natural products that dissolve easily.

greenandchic

Like faithVA mentioned, I "scrub" with the pads of my fingers, not my nails. I dilute my shampoo and add it to the scalp only when my hair is still dry. I massage it in to wash my scalp and cowash my hair. That keeps my scalp clean, but my hair conditioned (and clean from the shampoo residue).

getoffmylawn

I used to use my nails (blunt tip) until I heard a million folks say its bad blah blah blah so now I use my finger pads. Both have the same outcome for me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using LHCF

UGQueen

I do, use my finger pads when i scrub.. i only do it when i shampoo not when i co wash.
I will start using latex gloves however cause i used them while shampooing my SO (he has shoulder length dreads) and it was soo much easier and faster to wash and scrub his scalp so the gloves are keepers for me.

was thinking of adding peppermint oil to my shampoo as well.. we'll see.

LaToya28

I used to use my nails because it felt good to my scalp, but I ended up thinning out my edges and causing breakage. Now I just use the pads of my fingers and wash more often.

Britt

I just bought one of these from Sally's and will try it out this weekend when I shampoo. I got the idea from Youtube.

blackberry815

@Aireen I asked because I read somewhere that scratching your scalp can cause Trichorrhexis nodosa (mid strand splits), and breakage from the roots.. and removes the protective layer of the hair at the roots... basically from researching the effects of scratching I got curious to know if scrubbing the scalp has the same effect since its a similar motion and in some cases the same motion since alot of people use nails when they scrub...... just for full disclosure purposes.. lol

I am considering washing my hair more often to avoid any scalp build up so I can just wash my hair and let the water run over my scalp instead of scrubbing to get a clean scalp..

I edited my original post to add this info cuz I know my original post might be a little vague.

Last edited:

Kindheart

If I have any flakes, I lift them with a comb prior to washing. I use the pads of my fingers in the shower as I think using nails is unsanitary and can lead to irritation.

I read on a hair book that lifting flakes actually irritates the scalp causing more problems and flakes in the long run .

I do exactly what Nonie does ,wash every 3-4 days lightly "scrub" shampoo with my finger pads and avoid putting conditioner directly on my scalp .

blackberry815

I wear latex gloves when I shampoo / co-wash, this allows me to use my nails on my scalp (feels like my scalp gets cleaner than using the pads of my fingers). The gloves protect my scalp from being scratched and protect my nails and cuticles from being snagged on my hair.

I also wear gloves on my scalp in the shower. I just like the way it glides through my hair. I still use the pads of my fingers to wash my scalp tho. Also, I rely acv rinses to help prevent build up. And, since I keep oils on my scalp often, I periodically make a brown sugar scalp scrub (brown sugar, jojoba oil and peppermint eo) and gently massage that around my scalp.

I've had no problems with scalp build up or abrasions.

wanakee NJoy

You guys got me thinking I may try the gloves thing. that sounds like an excellent idea just because nails can cause alot of damage even when your not even trying to scratch or scrub your scalp... just this morning a piece of hair got stuck in a small crack in the edge my nail that I didn't know I had and it broke off.. gloves would really avoid any problems with that while washing and it seems that it would be alot gentler on the scalp since the gloves would kind of glide..

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Yes, I make sure to scrub my scalp every time I wash my hair. I have sehboric dermatitis, so I need to make sure my scalp is clear, and healthy. I do one scrub with my nails, and then go over again with the pads of my fingers.