Hair Dye Tips

LexiDior

Hi ladies,

I plan to dye my hair in a couple of weeks but I want to do it the right way. Im relaxed and im almost APL so I dont want to have any breakage. Im thinking about doing an Aphogee 2 step treatment 1 week before I dye but I dont want there to be a protein overload. Can anyone give me ideas about how I should take care of my hair before and after I dye? Thanks so much.

Also I plan to bleach my hair then dye it. Safe bleaching tips would be much appreciated.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Work the color in fast and only leave it in for the recommended time. Dc immediately after. Keep up with your dcs and keep your hair moisturized. Color treated hair can be dry or brittle if not handled properly. Don't try to go too many shades lighter than your hair in one sitting. If you have any other color questions let me know. I have had just about every color :blush:

LexiDior

Work the color in fast and only leave it in for the recommended time. Dc immediately after. Keep up with your dcs and keep your hair moisturized. Color treated hair can be dry or brittle if not handled properly. Don't try to go too many shades lighter than your hair in one sitting. If you have any other color questions let me know. I have had just about every color :blush:

Ok so i shouldnt go from my hair color to blonde? What about after bleaching? Should I DC then and then do the hair color?

overtherainbow

Have you thought about lifting your natural color with developer, then coloring with a semi/demi instead? This is so much gentler than bleach and dye, though you wouldn't be able to go to a light blonde.
I also always clarify and DC before I color someone's hair. I think the color always takes better without all the build up in the way.

LexiDior

Have you thought about lifting your natural color with developer, then coloring with a semi/demi instead? This is so much gentler than bleach and dye, though you wouldn't be able to go to a light blonde.
I also always clarify and DC before I color someone's hair. I think the color always takes better without all the build up in the way.

what number developer should I get? I didnt think about clarifying either, thank you for that.

overtherainbow

^It depends on the condition of your hair. If you have virgin, course strands that are in prime condition and takes color well, then 30 is perfect. But since you are relaxed, I would stick with 20 cream developer for safety sake. Your hair won't be blonde, but it'll be a considerably lighter brown. And always do a strand test to be on the safe side.

LexiDior

^It depends on the condition of your hair. If you have virgin, course strands that are in prime condition and takes color well, then 30 is perfect. But since you are relaxed, I would stick with 20 cream developer for safety sake. Your hair won't be blonde, but it'll be a considerably lighter brown. And always do a strand test to be on the safe side.

overtherainbow

I also heard something about adding baking soda to the developer can help. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ok so i shouldnt go from my hair color to blonde? What about after bleaching? Should I DC then and then do the hair color?
Gradually lift it once a week until you get to your desired shade. Dc after each time and check your strands for damage. Maybe you can get a friend or relative to help you...or maybe get it done at a beauty college. The prices are affordable and since they are professionally trained you should get good results.

overtherainbow

I've never heard of baking soda being used at all. The only thing I mix into my developer is toner. I personally wouldn't add baking soda because it's drying and I feel like it'll throw off the pH. If I were you, I would practice on a weaving track of good quality human hair. Before I lifted color on a real person for the first time, I practiced on some leftover tracks. However, if youre in doubt of something, seek a professional or a friend with experience.
Oh and if your hair is already dyed, then developer wouldn't work.

oneastrocurlie

My stylist lifted my color with a 20 developer than added color.

I used the Aphoghee 2 Minute Reconstructor when I wash 3 days before.

Nazaneen

Are you sure about doing such a drastic change? Maybe try a blonde weave instead?
There is no doubt that coloring your hair up to blonde will be damaging.
What if u decide you dont like it?

Last year I colored my hair to red (i wanted chocolate brown) and around 1 month later went back to black. The red looked dreadful with my skin and I damaged my hair.

LexiDior

Are you sure about doing such a drastic change? Maybe try a blonde weave instead?
There is no doubt that coloring your hair up to blonde will be damaging.
What if u decide you dont like it?

Last year I colored my hair to red (i wanted chocolate brown) and around 1 month later went back to black. The red looked dreadful with my skin and I damaged my hair.

Now that Ive heard what you all have said, I think Im going to go auburn first in stead of full blonde. below is the picture of what I wanted to do.

Attachments

• bout time.jpg
    bout time.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 89

LexiDior

I've never heard of baking soda being used at all. The only thing I mix into my developer is toner. I personally wouldn't add baking soda because it's drying and I feel like it'll throw off the pH. If I were you, I would practice on a weaving track of good quality human hair. Before I lifted color on a real person for the first time, I practiced on some leftover tracks. However, if youre in doubt of something, seek a professional or a friend with experience.
Oh and if your hair is already dyed, then developer wouldn't work.

I havent dyed my hair in about 4 years so I think I will be fine. Also, how long should I wait to use heat on it? Like flat iron it or blow dry it?

overtherainbow

It depends on how well your hair takes to the color and relaxer. I wouldn't blow dry/flat iron for a while because the hair just went through trauma. I had auburn relaxed hair for a couple of years and regular direct heat was not an option for me because it just added on to the damage. Some people can straighten and blow dry right after and be perfectly fine. My hair would probably melt.

LexiDior

It depends on how well your hair takes to the color and relaxer. I wouldn't blow dry/flat iron for a while because the hair just went through trauma. I had auburn relaxed hair for a couple of years and regular direct heat was not an option for me because it just added on to the damage. Some people can straighten and blow dry right after and be perfectly fine. My hair would probably melt.

So how long should I wait before I blow dry? My hair doesnt air dry well so I would need to dry it. If I put a lot of heat protector on it would it still be ok?

overtherainbow

It depends on your hair. Some people can blow dry on the same day of color. I personally would not because when I was relaxed, permanant color and heat would literally melt my hair off.

Mz.MoMo5235

I've gone full blonde with natural ink black hair. I bleached, rinsed, colored, dc'd... few days later protein then dc again.

Never had any issues with breakage doing this. I also did it this way when I was relaxed.

LexiDior

I've gone full blonde with natural ink black hair. I bleached, rinsed, colored, dc'd... few days later protein then dc again.

Never had any issues with breakage doing this. I also did it this way when I was relaxed.

Did you use a developer when you were relaxed and if you did what number?

Mz.MoMo5235

Did you use a developer when you were relaxed and if you did what number?

LexiDior if I bleached I would use a 10 or 20 developer. If I didnt bleach then I would go as high as 50. Depends on what color you're going for. With blonde since I bleached first I didnt need a high developer since its easier for the color to take

LexiDior

Mz.MoMo5235

I dont plan to bleach, I just plan to let the developer take the color away. The toner I have says to only 20 developer with relaxed hair. While I was at Sally's the lady who helped me never ask if I was relaxed or not or mentioned that It would be different for my hair.

Mz.MoMo5235

Mz.MoMo5235

I dont plan to bleach, I just plan to let the developer take the color away. The toner I have says to only 20 developer with relaxed hair. While I was at Sally's the lady who helped me never ask if I was relaxed or not or mentioned that It would be different for my hair.

How dark is your natural color and how much lighter are you going?

leona2025

I've done it to my bangs. The way that worked best for me with no breakage was bleaching first and then covering with a semiperm color.

After that I dced the colored area with a moisturizing conditioner with a little duo tex added for protein. After DCing washed airdried and flatironed.

What works worse. Bleaching too soon after a relaxer, double or triple bleaching, putting permanent color over bleached hair. These things made hair brittle and I had breakage and hair melting off.

xxinsanexxchels

I'm telling you from prior experience I bleached my hair all the time when it was relaxed and it did not fall out. HOWEVER I experienced VERY bad tiny broken hair shedding and my hair refused to grow past my shoulders in this state and even when it finally did it rebroke again every time I relaxed again. As someone who has been through this before (I even did my hair this color ) while it is cute I wanna save you the heartbreak your hair length/health goals are more important imo the only safe coloring for relaxed hair is rinses/cellophanes.