AfroVeda needs help

*Frisky*

I think some of you ladies use her products and might be interested in this.

http://www.gofundme.com/afroveda

My name is Mala Rhodes. I am the owner of AfroVeda Hair Products in Los Angeles, CA and I am here to ask for your help. I've been active in the natural hair care community for over a decade and specifically in the natural haircare business for the past 6 years. It has been quite an intense labor of love, and I'm grateful to have found my calling. But in the 6 years that AfroVeda has been open, things have never looked so bleak as they do right now. Business has been devastatingly slow for the past 6 months of 2014 since moving from Dallas to Los Angeles in February, causing tremendous shipping delays that I have not yet been able to overcome. A perfect storm of bad luck, bad economy, divorce and, yes, bad decisions have left the company on a terrible financial footing.

After running up my credit line during the move the bank decided to review my account and decided that the balance on the credit line was too high and, in their infinite wisdom, demanded immediate repayment in the form of a high-interest loan. This created a domino effect where, when reporting the change in my credit status to the various credit bureaus caused them all to cut my credit and in a couple of cases close my accounts. Once that started taking its toll on my business, I began to lose accounts with both retail and wholesale accounts.

Because of the nature of my businesses all of my debt was secured through personal guarantees and now I am in a spot where not only am I unable to get my business righted, but I have blown through all of my personal assets other than the home I live in to keep things going.

A simple bankruptcy for me is not an option as everything comes back to me anyway, so as much as this pains me to go this route I am asking for people’s assistance in helping me and my company get back on our feet. I am still in business right now, still trying to make products and ship orders to keep the business going. However the revenue from product sales is not enough to keep AfroVeda open AND pay down debt. I have exhausted all of the typical means of raising money, including offering pretty decent discounts on the website. I am now at the point where the GoFundMe approach is a last resort.

As the sole owner/manager, the responsibility for the health of the business lies squarely on my shoulders. My current challenge is coming up with $7,520 in loans and over due debts that must be paid by the end of the first full week in August in order to keep the business open. That's the immediate challenge. I am also hoping to be able to purchase the necessary supplies to complete all of the backorders that are still pending and create a bit of stock for future orders.

I have vowed to all of those in the natural hair care community who have already shown their unwavering support, to do everything in my power to keep AfroVeda operating. I wouldn't ask unless the situation was dire and all my other resources have been exhausted, hence my plea to you all. AfroVeda is not a fraudlent business, and I am doing all I can to get back on track so that I can once again earn your trust.

On a positive note, the news isn't all grim. I just need some financial support to be able to hang on a bit longer while business begins to rebound.

Please help me help others and take this to the next level. There is also an oportunity to work with homeless women who are re-entering the workforce. This would be the next level for AfroVeda. The Gourmet Hair Cafe™ would provide free hair care services for women on the day (or day before) their job interview to help augment the core services provided through One-Stop Career Centers. The money that you donate will also go towards purchasing some of the necessary supplies for the free services, as well as raw materials for the products and rental space for the pop-up shops.

As part of your donation, I am offering you the opportunity to enjoy our conscious hair care products as well. Receive a gift certificate or schedule a party of your own to experience the Gourmet Hair Cafe™ for yourself. Your help is greatly appreciated, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Many people have told me that it's important to have a company focused on conscious haircare, providing natural products that are not harmful, and based on the holistic principles of Ayurveda. It would break my heart to disappoint all those who believed in me and have entrusted me with their support. Hair care is my art, it is my passion, and it is the expression of my love to others. Please help me save AfroVeda and keep that light burning brightly. You can read below to give you a little more information about what AfroVeda is and the direction I am trying to go. Thank you!!

For so long we have used over-the-counter products that only gave us the illusion of healthy hair, while all the time those same products were actually wreaking havoc on our scalps and in our bodies. To remedy this, I created the Gourmet Hair Cafe™ to give you the chance to select your own "blend" of natural herbs and botanicals for a conscious hair care experience (meaning no chemicals, parabens, SLS or other harmful ingredients).

The Gourmet Hair Cafe™ is a brand new concept in hair care where we custom-blend conditioners using the most potent ayurvedic ingredients, along with natural botanicals, to create hair conditioners specifically for you. These conditioners are made "on-the-spot" and given to you to take home. It's YOUR custom blend, and it's only for YOU!

Studies show that custom-blended skin/hair care products may be up to 400% more effective than traditional off-the-shelf products.

Why? Since a custom-blended product is made on-the-spot it has never sat on the shelf, losing its potency. Off-the-shelf items are sometimes made months or possibly even years before you finally buy them. In addition, since its shelf life will be only as long as it takes you to use it, your Custom-Blended product will contain the highest level of active ingredients and the lowest practical level of preservatives. And since it is made only for YOU – it will contain only those ingredients that YOU need, only those ingredients that will benefit YOU – only those ingredients that will deliver results for YOU.

Your product will be only yours and no one else's.

So often we (mainly women and young girls) suffer with hair breakage and hair loss as a result of bad products and improper hair care practices which leave us with low self esteem. We all are well aware that how we feel about our hair can affect more than just our day, it can in many cases, seriously affect our lives and our children’s lives. I am amazed everytime I speak with a parent who is seemingly unconcerned with how her child's hair is cared for, and the comments from the child showing this same mentality being passed down. This is just not cute (see pic above). It is high time we educate our mothers and daughters and teach them that there is a much better way.

Helping people understand the benefit of being conscious of what we use on our hair and skin may seem small, but it is a huge undertaking and I am devoted to spreading the message. I love hearing that someone benefitted from one of my hair sessions, and it just lets me know that I am on the right track.

Thank you!

*Frisky*

Woah, that's long. Do you have a summary?

She needs $7,520 by the first week of August.

She went through divorce, ran her credit up and made some bad business decisions.

The she goes on to talk about a new business venture The Gourmet Hair Cafe which will focus on homeless women who are re entering the workforce.

hunnychile

Wasn't there some big brouhaha involving her company a few years ago? I wish I could remember what it was...it came out that she was using bases or was sassy to a customer, I can't remember. I just remember her business hasn't been the same since.

I hope she can turn her story around.

myronnie

This is unfortunate :( the base fiasco and other issues really ruined her business. Her products are too expensive I wanted to try them but couldn't justify the price.

Last edited:

Angelbean

I truly am saddened for her and will keep her in my prayers.......however her business has taken for granted over the years the very customers she is asking to donate....I am just saying

southerncitygirl

:( her gel is my fave but its so expensive. I usually have to wait till they have a sale that's 25% or more off. Thanks for sharing, sorry to hear about her situation:nono:

Last edited:

Honey Bee

I've never purchased anything from them (cuz I hate waiting for hair products), but I'll support a sista trynna do something. Will donate. :yep:

*Frisky*

I had no knowledge of the scandal that was going on. I watched some youtube videos about it. It will be interesting to see how much support she gets.

mshoneyfly

Sounds to me like she just wants to expand and used her bill money to start this new thing without regard for how it would effect Afroveda. What she'll prob do is use any donated funds for the new thing and then eventually declare Afroveda defunct.

I never used anything by her either. IDK... The little switch up with a new idea in the middle of her pitch is unsettling. I need her to focus on one thing at a time!

Last edited:

BostonMaria

Maybe what she needs is some good business advice. When she raised her prices a few years ago knowing she was just using bases I knew she would get herself into a bind.

She should sell her company and maybe declare bankruptcy if that's an option. If we give her $7500 and she continues doing bad business mistakes she is just going to be in the same predicament next year.

I'll donate a few bucks to help her out. I wish her luck.

overtherainbow

^That's exactly what I was thinking. I feel sorry for her and I'm always more than happy to support a sista, but im skeptical about her exact intentions with the donations. Im even more wary because she claims that she does not have the resources to fill pending orders, and yet her site is still open for business. She needs to close up shop and regroup. I really hope she gets through this unscathed.

LaBelleLL

I'm a bit surprised all that she needs is a little over 7k. The way she was talking, I thought it would be much higher.

The breakdown of the amt is a little unclear. What supplies in addition to paying down her debt does she want to buy? Why ask for donations for supplies when the premise of her post is to reduce her debt. It seems like her debt isn't all that high.

Last edited:

felic1

It is surprising that afroveda and hh are both experiencing debt related challenges. I think hh has a gofundme account as well.

Pompous Blue

^That's exactly what I was thinking. I feel sorry for her and I'm always more than happy to support a sista, but im skeptical about her exact intentions with the donations. Im even more wary because she claims that she does not have the resources to fill pending orders, and yet her site is still open for business. She needs to close up shop and regroup. I really hope she gets through this unscathed.
overtherainbow

That was my question, too? I abandoned her products long time ago and I used to think her products were everything. Even after the scandal I continued to support her. Then poor CS and bad attitude left me gun shy. It was a blessing to leave her, though, because I found better products for my hair....AMEN!

So, she took customers' monies and can't fill orders? Oh, wow!!!

SimJam

This is trending towards norm now.
I was gonna ask if big business goes begging when they run themselves into debt ... but that's what share offers are sometimes right ? (never done a lick of finance dont kill me lol)

But at least when you buy shares you are buying your little piece of the company and you get some reward in dividends etc.

I say all of this to say what a couple ladies have said already I don't have any confidence in how or what she will be using these funds to do so umm ... no.

Im not against donating to someone in need but I feel some kinda way about this situation here.

I feel like I would be enabling a cycle of bad financial decisions.

Kurlee

why is she starting a new business initiative without first making sure her bread and butter (afroveda) is taken care of? How can she run this new venture if it's free and she won't be making any money from it? How will she sustain herself? Something don't sound right.

isawstars

I feel like I would be enabling a cycle of bad financial decisions.

That's exactly how I feel.

It's great that people want to help but Afroveda needs a new business plan, business/financial advisors and her 100% attention instead of starting a new side project. I think afroveda needs more than financial help.. ... That's just the vibe I get.

Sent from my LG G2 via LHCF app

lushlady

Wasn't there some big brouhaha involving her company a few years ago? I wish I could remember what it was...it came out that she was using bases or was sassy to a customer, I can't remember. I just remember her business hasn't been the same since.

I hope she can turn her story around.

Yep. There was a long thread about is here. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=502603

Her situation is unfortunate, but people tend to remember when you try to get over on them.

veesweets

It is surprising that afroveda and hh are both experiencing debt related challenges. I think hh has a gofundme account as well.

Not surprising to me at all. When you act like you don't need your customers, they tend to listen. (Mainly talking about Hairitage Hydration. I've never ordered from Afroveda, just heard about the stupid long shipping times).