I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

moneychaser

Britt said:
Meinzzfuture (past FOTM) is Haitian and I don't think she has any secrets :lol:. When we used to go the hairdresser I didn't see her use anything out the norm. Her hair is pretty much waist length.
YEP, She swore by Castor Oil I believe :)

toinette

Tricking the president
i'm haitian and the one thing i used to do when i was natural was braid my hair every night. when i was younger, my mom would literally style my hair at night so she wouldnt have to do in the morning before i went to school. so she would grease it, braid it with boul go-go (the little elastics with the balls at the ends), and tie me up in a scarf every night. when i got older and my only style was a puff, i vigilantly greased and braided my hair every night for YEARS, but no scarf tho. so the one thing that most haitians for sure do with natural hair at least is grease and braid every night.

also it doesnt have to be a lot of braids. i used to make 6 to 12 plaits.

with tmy relaxed hair, i just wrapped it because i dont see the point in brading unless u want a wavy style. i dont know if they wrap their relaxed hair in Haiti. any ofthe other haitian ladies know?

Britt

Dana03 said:
YEP, She swore by Castor Oil I believe :)
Yeah thats it. Its a castor oil that her grandmother brought back from Haiti for her. She would use once in a while sometimes. Its really heavy and stinky. I know they have the Jamaican castor oil thats black, i think they are similar.

toinette

Tricking the president
i dont know if it's actually castor oil, but lwil maskriti is the bomb. if it didnt smell so bad, i would use it in my hair.

sylver2

I posted this on another board. Right before I moved to DC. I was living in Roosevelt, Long Island. There is a Hatian salon that I went to faithfully every week called Yole's on Nassau Rd in Uniondale.
Wash n' Set-$14
Relaxer-$25
I started going right after my Halle Berry cut.
My hair was the healthiest its ever been and grew really fast while I was going to them. Every girl you see there had long hair.
When I moved to DC I would drive back up to NY twice a month just to get my hair done by them.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
sylver2 said:
I posted this on another board. Right before I moved to DC. I was living in Roosevelt, Long Island. There is a Hatian salon that I went to faithfully every week called Yole's on Nassau Rd in Uniondale.
Wash n' Set-$14
Relaxer-$25
My hair was the healthiest its ever been and grew really fast while I was going to them. Every girl you see there had long hair.
When I moved to DC I would drive back up to NY twice a month just to get my hair done by them.

Sylver 2 can you pm me with info in Yole, I live in W. Hempstead so I'm very interested.

daviine

nurseN98 said:
Hey y'all, I'm Haitian and I ain't got no secrets... :lol:

All Haitian women don't do the 'ti tress'.....at least no one in my family did that and I don't remember that at all as a child. I DO remember the l'huil muskati (Haitian castor oil).....that stuff stinks :ohwell: . My mom would use it on me when I was a kid from time to time and do hot oil treatment with it. And the one thing that most Haitian women are vigilent about is wrapping with a silk or satin scarf. But honestly, just like all other black women, some of us have long thick hair and a lot of us don't. I think it depends on the family and what hair care techniques are passed down. Every week when I was a kid my mom would wash, deep condition with cholesterol, detangle then braid my hair. She did not use those hair barrettes (those tight balls especially) so there was no tension on my hair. She oiled my scalp, braided it into 5 or 6 fat braids and tied it up every night.

The only other thing I can tell you is that a lot of Haitian ppl believe in eating their food only. They won't eat out for nothing. I know that's how my family was. Everything was made from scratch, no short cuts. Occasionally she'd buy KFC or some other fried chicken and make some rice or something to go with it. But God forbid I would come home and tell my mother I had a cheeseburger from McDonalds....she'd just scold me :spank: :lol: We ate a lot of veggies and meat, beans & legumes and homemade fruit juice. I had gotten away from that as I got out on my own and now I find myself getting back to that way of eating and I am so much better for it. :)

I agree. I don't think I know anyone who puts "ti tress" in their hair. If I had to guess (assuming there is a secret) I would say that it was l'huile palma christi (balck castor oil) and/or tying hair up at night.

Otherwise, I'm thinking it's genetics ...some people have it, some people don't.....

daviine

toinette said:
i dont know if it's actually castor oil, but lwil maskriti is the bomb. if it didnt smell so bad, i would use it in my hair.

I'm weird but Iove the way it smells....I just wish everyone else felt the same way so I could wear it daily!

Didn;t Meinzzfuture wear it daily? I know one of my students does....she has beautiful hair....I'm not sure if that's the reason why...but I can't wait for her to grow up and reap the benefits of all the good care her mother is taking of her hair!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Victory1 said:
They are braiding their hair at night before putting a satin cap on. It's not a regular braid, it's a bunch of tiny individual stand alone braids (Haitians call it ti tress (pronounced tee-tress)). It takes about 15 to 45 minutes, depending on how thick and how long your hair is).

This reminds me of something a Grenadian (sp) man told me once when I was younger and I wanted my hair to grow long. He said: If you want your hair to grow long you should braid it every night. So maybe that's just a version of a protected hair style? The old school version :D
I think I'll try braiding every night and oiling my hair like I usually do before.

daviine

sylver2 said:
Wash n' Set-$14
Relaxer-$25

I'm wondering if Yole's is a franchise.....I know of at least one Yole's in Brooklyn and I think there is one in Queens. There is also one in Baldwin, and I think Westbury........ I definitely know that there is more than one.....

EbonyEyes

sugarsweet said:
I know doo grow really works for me. I put it on everyday and it has worked wonders for my hair, it increased the growth rate and everything. The oil that I used called DOO GRO Medicated Hair Vitalizer
Triple Strength for severely damaged hair promotes strong healthy growing hair 4oz

Even if your hair isn't damaged it still works for growing hair.
hopes this helps a little :) :grin:

I had gone to the beauty supply store one evening and asks this girl who works there about Doo Gro. She said that she didn't use the oil but used the grease (the same name as the one you referred too above). She has a short hair cut with the back shaven and she said that it worked but a little too well. She said her hair grew extremely fast and she had to cut it once every two weeks. She stopped using it because of this.

-Ebony

ccd

Well, I don't know why they wouldn't share but I know some folks are funny with info....not everyone wants to give out what the know....OH well!!!! Lucky for you, you have LHCF

I am Haitian....
Anyway, as a youngster...my mom did braid my hair....cornrows sometimes, and plaits depending....we use Huile Masketi also....But ALSo...MOule d Bouef ( the spelling? please forgive me) thats Bone Marrow I believe...my grandma and my aunts were big fans.....that actually smells nice

Braid AND a scarf where a big deal growing up...my granny would always beef with me ( as a teenager, when I started taking care of my hair) about sleeping with my hair (lage) meaning out in the open air...she said that was NO GOOD.... of course...I did what I wanted ( as a stubborn little women) and definitely suffered the consequences

PLEASE NOTE my hair was natural, thick and shoulder length otherwise mom pressed my hair on special occassions .....until I was thirteen or fourteen
( At 13/14 I WENT Crazy...relaxed it THEN cut and curlied it a year later.... hated it and re/relaxed it a short time later....I Know, I know, what the
H*##...)

ALSO Mom did hair treatments with mayo (sometimes mayo and egg)
and an avocado mixture

( I WAS LIKE HUUUUhhh ....as a kid) I think she let in sit in my hair overnight sometimes
Man, come to think of it.....they were good to me ( ah well)

The only "secret" which you all know is ...

1.protect those ends.....

2.handle with care when combing and/or brushing

3.wrap hair when you sleep ( with scarf and braids...the only thing here is that they would use those cotton scarves......eeekk!!!, we all know better right :)

4.eat well

5.drink water...keep your body right, minimal sodas NO CAFFIENNE....
usually juices ( homemade was the best but of course Americanization got you drinkin' /feenin Hawaian Punch or something like that :)

6. maybe nutrients but that is something I learned as an adult ( specific vitamins that effect hair)

But like someone mentioned earlier...I think it depends on what you do and how you treat your hair daily...more than any secret product that effects your hairgrowth and maintanence ( in my case I went from taking care of it to then blow drying with a comb attach, curling irons and air drying my hair without proper mositurization ( Aka..went downhill ) and my hair suffered the consequences)

GOOD LUCK finding out what those ladies use...but you've got a wealth of info here...... :)

Last edited:

ShortyDooWhop

ccd said:
Well, I don't know why they wouldn't share but I know some folks are funny with info....not everyone wants to give out what the know....OH well!!!! Lucky for you, you have LHCF

I am Haitian....
Anyway, as a youngster...my mom did braid my hair....cornrows sometimes, and plaits depending....we use Huile Masketi also....But ALSo...MOule d Bouef ( the spelling? please forgive me) thats Bone Marrow I believe...my grandma and my aunts were big fans.....that actually smells nice

Braid AND a scarf where a big deal growing up...my granny would always beef with me ( as a teenager, when I started taking care of my hair) about sleeping with my hair (lage) meaning out in the open air...she said that was NO GOOD.... of course...I did what I wanted ( as a stubborn little women) and definitely suffered the consequences

PLEASE NOTE my hair was natural, thick and shoulder length otherwise mom pressed my hair on special occassions .....until I was thirteen or fourteen
( At 13/14 I WENT Crazy...relaxed it THEN cut and curlied it a year later.... hated it and re/relaxed it a short time later....I Know, I know, what the
H*##...)

ALSO Mom did hair treatments with mayo (sometimes mayo and egg)
and an avocado mixture

( I WAS LIKE HUUUUhhh ....as a kid) I think she let in sit in my hair overnight sometimes
Man, come to think of it.....they were good to me ( ah well)

The only "secret" which you all know is ...

1.protect those ends.....

2.handle with care when combing and/or brushing

3.wrap hair when you sleep ( with scarf and braids...the only thing here is that they would use those cotton scarves......eeekk!!!, we all know better right :)

4.eat well

5.drink water...keep your body right, minimal sodas NO CAFFIENNE....
usually juices ( homemade was the best but of course Americanization got you drinkin' /feenin Hawaian Punch or something like that :)

6. maybe nutrients but that is something I learned as an adult ( specific vitamins that effect hair)

But like someone mentioned earlier...I think it depends on what you do and how you treat your hair daily...more than any secret product that effects your hairgrowth and maintanence ( in my case I went from taking care of it to then blow drying with a comb attach, curling irons and air drying my hair without proper mositurization ( Aka..went downhill ) and my hair suffered the consequences)

GOOD LUCK finding out what those ladies use...but you've got a wealth of info here...... :)

Possibly a stupid question, but where do you buy the Huile Masketi and MOule d Bouef

sylver2

daviine said:
I'm wondering if Yole's is a franchise.....I know of at least one Yole's in Brooklyn and I think there is one in Queens. There is also one in Baldwin, and I think Westbury........ I definitely know that there is more than one.....

I hope they are spreading.
Hurry and get down to DC.

ccd

ShortyDooWhop said:
Possibly a stupid question, but where do you buy the Huile Masketi and MOule d Bouef

No not at all a silly ? I would love to know...unfortunately, I have no idea...I would think in Brooklyn or Queens where there is a large Haitian pop.....

Haitian Brooklynite/Queenies...help us out??

I'll ask my mom or aunts if they know..... otherwise I think people probably get it from Haiti when relatives go back and forth...

ccd

Ok...well, I got the scoop from my mom...

Grandma use to make her own Moelle Du Boeff....(WOW...I say) she went to the butcher asked for Bone Marrow ( I guess the specific bone or section) then boilled it and took what ever seperated from the bone or whatever...thats the marrow...and she added her petroleum and other ingredients)

so Im searchin the net HERES what I found

http://64.70.210.177/Supply/Hair Care/kettyhair1.html

pebbles

What secrets? I'm Haitian. I think someone forgot to let me in on that secret! LOL! :lol:
Does any store carry Moelle de beouf in the US other than the little Haitian boutiques? I've never seen it here. My cousin brings some of the oil for me when she comes from Haiti, but that's it. :)

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I'll bet they are just minimalists.

1) eat your vegetables, drink your water (they're cheaper than moon pies & soda anyway)
2) trim your hair to keep it presentable and neat
3) wash your hair and comb it, to be presentable and neat

Salons and "hair regimes" are not proven to make hair grow faster than just ... leaving hair alone!

ccd

pebbles said:
What secrets? I'm Haitian. I think someone forgot to let me in on that secret! LOL! :lol:
Does any store carry Moelle de beouf in the US other than the little Haitian boutiques? I've never seen it here. My cousin brings some of the oil for me when she comes from Haiti, but that's it. :)

Check out the website above...they have moeullevegetal
( never heard of that one)

http://64.70.210.177/Supply/Missantilles/0012711.html

Lucia

I'm Haitian and I know the braiding, moisterizing/oiling with scarf at night is key but the products and the fresh food diet we have helps a bunch. The l'huile masqueti and moille de bouef are the bomb for real that stuff will make anybodys hair grow. Before I jacked myself up I had thick BSL natural hair. I mean we eat alot of corn based foods= mais moulin, acasent, la boullie, protein= beans, fish, chicken, lots of vegetables and fruits and in my family we eat avocados like it's the last avocado in the world. It's hard to find the products here in the states all the time so I've found passible substitues like WGO, lano lustre, monoi which also comes from Haiti too not just Tahiti.

Lucia

I'm Haitian and I know the braiding, moisterizing/oiling with scarf at night is key but the products and the fresh food diet we have helps a bunch. The l'huile masqueti and moille de bouef are the bomb for real that stuff will make anybodys hair grow. Before I jacked myself up I had thick BSL natural hair. I mean we eat alot of corn based foods= mais moulin, acasent, la boullie, protein= beans, fish, chicken, lots of vegetables and fruits and in my family we eat avocados like it's the last avocado in the world. It's hard to find the products here in the states all the time so I've found passible substitues like WGO, lano lustre, monoi which also comes from Haiti too not just Tahiti. THere's a bunch of Haitian oils, How about stil bepan? anybody use this? It worked great for me but I can't find it anywhere.
I'll tell people if they really want to know but I get strange looks once I translate what it really is then they're like you put what on your hair?

Kinkyhairlady

Lucia you can translate because I want to know. I am also Haitian but I don't know all these terms that some of you have mentioned. I bet you some of these products are what these girls are using. But the thing is you have to have a family member going to Haiti to get them I think. Actually there is a Haitian store near me called Milli Millo I will check tommorrow if they have the Luile Maskiti. I know as a child that made my hair grow a lot it just smelled awful. I'll use anything now that will make it grow back from the cut I just got.

daviine

Moelle de boeuf? Hmmmmmm..... I wish my grandmother made her own...I love this thread. I get my l'huile from Haiti. Does anyone know where I can get "REAL" bone marrow from in Brooklyn?

Thanks......

Lucia

Lucia said:
I'm Haitian and I know the braiding, moisterizing/oiling with scarf at night is key but the products and the fresh food diet we have helps a bunch. The l'huile masqueti and moille de bouef are the bomb for real that stuff will make anybodys hair grow. Before I jacked myself up I had thick BSL natural hair. I mean we eat alot of corn based foods= mais moulin, acasent, la boullie, protein= beans, fish, chicken, lots of vegetables and fruits and in my family we eat avocados like it's the last avocado in the world. It's hard to find the products here in the states all the time so I've found passible substitues like WGO, lano lustre, monoi which also comes from Haiti too not just Tahiti. THere's a bunch of Haitian oils, How about stil bepan? anybody use this? It worked great for me but I can't find it anywhere.
I'll tell people if they really want to know but I get strange looks once I translate what it really is then they're like you put what on your hair?
Stil bepan is just the name no trans.
L'huile masqueti= maqsueti oil only available if someone gets it from a Haiti or a Haitian store.
Moille de bouef=cow bone marrow (yes it really has it in there it's not just the name)
maybe there is an online source. Did you ladies know that Mexicans have a "hair vitamin" that makes their hair grow like a weed.
hth

Last edited:

DragonPearl

The oil you're talking about is oil of Palma Christi, aka Castor oil. We already had a thread on this:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=22717&highlight=castor

Toward the end of the thread, someone gives the name and phone number of the Haitian drugstore in Brooklyn where you can purchase the Haitian made Castor oil. I do remember hearing a lot about moelle de boeuf i.e. beef bone marrow as a hair growth product, but I personally have never tried.

Last edited:

DragonPearl

By the way, Castor oil stinks to high heaven. My husband can't stand it so I have to dilute it when I use it. :-(