Coffee for Hair Growth!

Tamrin

unapologetic
Most of the ingredients in No doz are emulsifiers and thickening agents and coating. So are we gonna do this or no. im sticking with plain old coffee. I don't drink coffee nd rarely touch teach. I better not start buzzing around.:grin::grin:

Irresistible

Y'all don't get it. :lachen: Believe me, coffee is strongest in caffeine the closer it is to green. The more you roast it, the more caffeine you lose. That's why people don't get the jitters so much from a french roast or espresso that they would get with a regular American drip coffee. Green coffee would yield more caffeine than tea. I guess that if someone ground and boiled the green one, they would get a coffee that looks like Arab coffee drink (like what is drunk in Saudi) and it resembles a light tea. You'd probably not get the staining. I have some green coffee beans around here somewhere and I'll test it. If anyone wanted to try it, got to an Arab marketplace or Ethiopian one (they like to roast their own coffee for ceremonies etc.). They definitely say to not use instant tea or coffee as a hair rinse:

http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=974748
Hmm thank you for that link

there goes the simplified instant coffee idea out the window :ohwell:

but I wonder why not instant?

I think I'm gonna do the coffee pack/yogurt thing on there

only I think I will be using Tea now instead:yep:

girlcherokee

i have some ground cafe bustello capuccino - in the yellow bag that i bought for my MIL awhile back - i dont drink coffee so i know nothing about it. can i just mix this in with my henna or infuse it in some hot water and then mix it in with henna treatment? i will do a henna treatment in the morning so this is why i am wondering. maybe i can get the benefit of a bit of brown color along with a caffinated growth. does coffee have to be brewed in a coffee maker? cant it just be steeped or infused like tea or herbs? i know this is a dumb question but keep in mind that i have never prepared coffee or lived with anyone who did.

Irresistible

i have some ground cafe bustello capuccino - in the yellow bag that i bought for my MIL awhile back - i dont drink coffee so i know nothing about it. can i just mix this in with my henna or infuse it in some hot water and then mix it in with henna treatment? i will do a henna treatment in the morning so this is why i am wondering. maybe i can get the benefit of a bit of brown color along with a caffinated growth. does coffee have to be brewed in a coffee maker? cant it just be steeped or infused like tea or herbs? i know this is a dumb question but keep in mind that i have never prepared coffee or lived with anyone who did.

Someone posted alot of info on steeping it several posts back

discobiscuits

okay, i answered my own question and did a search. apparently you can use coffee or black tea to color hair. i may try this. if the caffeine does not increase my hair growth, maybe the coffee will be the natural dye/rinse that i've been looking for other than henna/indigo.

luckiestdestiny

okay, i answered my own question and did a search. apparently you can use coffee or black tea to color hair. i may try this. if the caffeine does not increase my hair growth, maybe the coffee will be the natural dye/rinse that i've been looking for other than henna/indigo.
I don't want you to think that people left you hanging on your question:
Irresistable answered you on page 6, DivaD answered your question on page 7 Hwiseman answers you on page 8 and even provides a link to show you how to do it.

However, I'm glad you went out and got the answers too.

Last edited:

discobiscuits

I don't want you to think that people left you hanging on your question:
Irresistable answered you on page 6, DivaD answered your question on page 7 Hwiseman answers you on page 8 and even provides a link to show you how to do it.

However, I'm glad you went out and got the answers too.

Thanks lukie, however I only have 3 pages, not 8 and Iris's post did not address color w/ tea/coffee directly (unless I missed it + she sometimes PMs me when I have brain farts). The link in hwiseman's post was one I came across in my search but it is a layman's site (like LHCF) and I wanted more than one source and/or sources that were more reliable/professional. Most of the sources were layman's sites/posts and there were very few that addressed coffee coloring hair so I took the totality of all of the information that I found. I even did a LHCF search for recent threads/posts and in the archives. I don't think the ladies left me hanging, but the coffee coloring hair I did not see directly addressed in this thread after I asked my question.

No worries, this thread is about coffee/caffeine and hair growth, not coffee coloring hair so I'm not disappointed or anything.
:grin:

girlcherokee

Someone posted alot of info on steeping it several posts back

thanks irresistible! i saw the steeping techniques further back in the post, but i think if i read correct, i will go back and read again - it was for coffee beans, but this is more like a powder the consistency of the henna itself so i was just thinking i could just steep it over night(i did) now i have sludge, and i could just mix the sludge in the henna. anyone ever done that? i feel like if i strain it, i will throw out most of it. i just am not familiar with the nature of coffee i guess, does it react like tea or does it need something special to bring out it's properties. this is also capucino - anything i should be aware of about this? is it stronger? i dont want to end up with a red scalp. LOL
i normally leave my henna treatment on for a few hours so i dont want to be bouncing off the walls - with a big red scalp.

thanks irresistible! i saw the steeping techniques further back in the post, but i think if i read correct, i will go back and read again - it was for coffee beans, but this is more like a powder the consistency of the henna itself so i was just thinking i could just steep it over night(i did) now i have sludge, and i could just mix the sludge in the henna. anyone ever done that? i feel like if i strain it, i will throw out most of it. i just am not familiar with the nature of coffee i guess, does it react like tea or does it need something special to bring out it's properties. this is also capucino - anything i should be aware of about this? is it stronger? i dont want to end up with a red scalp. LOL
i normally leave my henna treatment on for a few hours so i dont want to be bouncing off the walls - with a big red scalp.

I'm honestly not sure myself, but I believe coffee doesn't need much other than may be a little heat or a lot of time to steep to bring its properties out.

Cappuccino has milk and espresso in it, and milk isn't bad for you-- and espresso may be stronger per ounce. It depends on how much you use.

Either way you mix it, I think you'll get the benefits.

girlcherokee

I'm honestly not sure myself, but I believe coffee doesn't need much other than may be a little heat or a lot of time to steep to bring its properties out.

Cappuccino has milk and espresso in it, and milk isn't bad for you-- and espresso may be stronger per ounce. It depends on how much you use.

Either way you mix it, I think you'll get the benefits.
thank you lilbrowned! i did end up straining it because when i dipped my finger into it i realized that it was too gritty and did not want to have to deal with getting gritt out of my newgrowth. so i have my henna/coffee/indigo/brahmi/maka/amla treatment in now - will report how it goes.

Forever in Bloom

Eyeing the Chagrin Valley Cafe Moreno shampoo bar ... :lick:

onyxdreams

nothing to add not a chemist , just wanted to thank my sisterhood for great information as always and the opportunity to learn from you all.

luckiestdestiny

I just poured coffee on my head after wash/ cond/ dc and I have left it on for 18 minutes, the articles I put above in the thread somewhere said that it could be left on longer for maximum effect if the scalp isn't too sensitive apparently mine isn't, but I did do an oil rinse, and put coconut oil on my scalp to condition, early before I even shampooed,so maybe that's why. Anyways I'm not leaving it on any longer but it does feel good. It feels cool, kinda like when I do the nettle rinse, except my pores seem like they are opening way up. I like it so far...we'll see about it's effect on the hair overall though!

charmtreese

I used green tea today and I liked the results. Since green tea is slightly acidic, it left my cuticles SMOOTH!!! I think this is gonna be a keeper in my regimen!

BTW: I left it on for 30 minutes under my heat cap and dc!

empressri

listen, yall just hurry up and experiment for me. i'd like a coffee spritz so i can spray in my hair while at work so i dont fall asleep at the computer lol

luckiestdestiny

listen, yall just hurry up and experiment for me. i'd like a coffee spritz so i can spray in my hair while at work so i dont fall asleep at the computer lol
Dive in, the water's warm. It's just coffee!:lachen:

I just tried it tonight and I'm still alive, so I guess that's good. As soon as I invent a spritzer, you're first on my list.:rolleyes:

salseraaa

I tried the coffee rinse today with very strongly brewed coffee made using two heaping tablespoons of coffee and two cups of water. In the shower after shampooing and conditioning my hair, I rinsed my hair and scalp with the cold coffee. It left my scalp feeling ... it's hard to describe, not quite tingly, but kind of like a cross between numb and lightly pulsing. I think my scalp felt numb because the coffee was so cold and the caffeine significantly improved the circulaton to my scalp. It definately stimulated my scalp. It's relaxing and invigorating; I like the feeling and plan to keep using the treatment, but next time I'll apply it to my scalp ony and use a squeeze bottle.

Give it a try ladies! It feels great and if it also grows hair, it's a keeper for me!

luckiestdestiny

I tried the coffee rinse today with very strongly brewed coffee made using two heaping tablespoons of coffee and two cups of water. In the shower after shampooing and conditioning my hair, I rinsed my hair and scalp with the cold coffee. It left my scalp feeling ... it's hard to describe, not quite tingly, but kind of like a cross between numb and lightly pulsing. I think my scalp felt numb because the coffee was so cold and the caffeine significantly improved the circulaton to my scalp. It definately stimulated my scalp. It's relaxing and invigorating; I like the feeling and plan to keep using the treatment, but next time I'll apply it to my scalp ony and use a squeeze bottle.

Give it a try ladies! It feels great and if it also grows hair, it's a keeper for me!
that's totally how I did it (with a squeeze bottle). I think the numbness came from it being cold, because I didn't get that (mine was room temperature), but I did get the pulsing feeling, that's a good way to describe it. I knew that my scalp was being stimulated too. I cosign with your bolded above.

Lebiya

I will be trying this!

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong:

After shampooing, dc - brew the coffee pour on head, massage, leave on for ½ hour rinse, style as usual?

Also, is it Ok to mixed some brewed coffee with a daily moisturizer or use it as a leave in? Does the coffee HAVE TO be rinsed out?

Ganjababy

REVIEW COFFEE USE ON SCALP
Coffee really works. I have always had fine hair that appeared thick because of so many strands- not due to thickness of individual strands. This changed several years ago when my hair became so extremely thin. I had a ball patch that grew from the size of a quarter to the size of my fist at the top of my head due to a relaxer burn and then anemia. Plus my hair was really thin and see through from over-relaxing. This is what led me to LHCF.

A friend recommended a spray made from green coffee beans to me last year. I used it for about 4 months and it definately improved the thickness of my hair. At the end of the 4 months I could part my hair at the top where I used to do comb overs before. Also my hair was no longer see through and people kept asking me if I had on a wig. I only stopped using it to jump on several LHCF bandwagons as I could not incoporate it with other stuff. However I have been thinking of going back to it because it did work. The thing that turned me off this spray was the fact that I had to wet my head and spray it 2xper day! I was relaxed at the time too so this was diffiult so I just sprayed it on dry head, still too much work though. I was worried that my hair would revert back to being very thin and see through with a big bald patch but it did not. This was due to the vits I am on and OCT/MT and improving my diet etc.

Unfortunately this spray is not available in the U.S. It definately works though so I do think coffee rinses will work too as green coffee is the active ingredients.

Though I was also on iron tabs I did not get my haomoglobin up enough during that time, so it was not due to the iron tabs. I will be going back to using coffee as a maintenance product from now on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-480216/Spray-stop-womans-hair-thinning.html

Spray that can stop a woman's hair from thinningBy SEAN POULTER
Last updated at 08:47 06 September 2007

A spray made from coffee bean extracts has been found to stop women's hair thinning, scientists said yesterday.
The treatment - which goes on sale next month - is said to increase the thickness and health of each strand of hair.
It encourages growth from the roots and can prevent age-related hair loss, according to researchers.
Scroll down for more...
Healthy: But hair can start to thin when a woman reaches her 20s
The product works by soothing the scalp, reducing the inflammation that damages hair follicles.
Stewart Long of Boots, which developed the remedy, said: "Our new spray changes the way the immune system acts.
"Effectively, it stimulates the cells to ensure the follicles continue to produce thick healthy hair.
"If the follicle closes, the chances of getting regrowth are virtually nil, even with the high- strength drug treatments that are on the market."
Although the product is targeted at women, it would also work for men.
Four out five women given the spray in independent tests at Glasgow University said it worked.
Three out of four of the guinea pigs said they lost less hair when combing or brushing.
The claims were backed up by scalp tests conducted by a trichologist over a 12-month period.
Small patches of hair were shaved off to see how quickly and thickly they grew back.
Mr Long said women were often reluctant to talk about hair loss.
"It is considered quite normal if a bloke goes bald but for women it is a huge psychological issue," he added.
"It is often speeded by periods of stress or illness.
In reality 50 per cent of women experience some thinning of the hair by the time they reach 50, however most suffer in silence thinking that they are the only ones with the problem.
"But this is not just a condition afflicting the older generation.
"Hair thinning can start for people as young as 20, and can be a massive blow to how women perceive themselves."
Consumer research conducted by Boots shows that 79 per cent of women find hair crucial to their self-esteem.
Another 61 per cent per cent valued their locks more highly than other parts of the body and would rather suffer weight or skin problems than lose them.
Corinne Sweet, a relationship psychologist, said healthy hair had long been a symbol of female attractiveness.
"Losing hair, in strands or clumps, can be deeply distressing for women as a sign of stress, ill-health or ageing," she added.
"Going bald, in patches, or even totally, is really the last great beauty taboo, so a product that can restore vitality and volume to hair should certainly help restore self- esteem, self-confidence and promote a positive self-image."
Creams and potions claiming to tackle ageing and other ailments are common in the beauty industry but many have fallen foul of the Advertising Standards Authority.
Boots said it has received the authority's approval for its claims for the hair spray after presenting its officials with the evidence from its independent trials.
The product - Boots Expert Hair Loss Treatment Spray for Women - can be ordered in advance from the middle of September.
It was developed by the research team behind Protect & Perfect, a beauty serum which became a major sales success after scientists found it could rejuvenate skin and beat wrinkles.
The spray contains antioxidants and centella asiatica, a medicinal plant sometimes called the Indian pennywort.
The green coffee beans used in the hair spray come from Central America.
How the spray works
The spray's ingredients work by calming the immune system and reducing inflammation of the scalp.
Damage to the scalp can cause follicles to shrink or even close up, causing hair to thin and fall out.
Applied to the roots of damp hair twice daily and then rubbed in, the spray allows the hair to be styled as normal.
Boots says the results should be seen within three months.
In an independent study carried out at Glasgow University, women were given the product to use at home for 12 months.
The researchers compared the results for the active product against those for a placebo that looked exactly the same.
They found that 80 per cent of volunteers using the genuine treatment reported significant improvement in hair growth.

Last edited:

Lebiya

Though it would be nice if coffee aided in growth- which i think it does- just the fact that it will extend your growth cycle up to 37%, this has to be a keeper for me!!

empressri

Dive in, the water's warm. It's just coffee!:lachen:

I just tried it tonight and I'm still alive, so I guess that's good. As soon as I invent a spritzer, you're first on my list.:rolleyes:

Alright! If the supervisor asks me why I dumped her cup of joe over my head, I'm going to be like "See, luckiestdestiny from lchf told me...."

:lachen:

REVIEW COFFEE USE ON SCALP
Coffee really works. I have always had fine hair that appeared thick because of so many strands- not due to thickness of individual strands. This changed several years ago when my hair became so extremely thin. I had a ball patch that grew from the size of a quarter to the size of my fist at the top of my head due to a relaxer burn and then anemia. Plus my hair was really thin and see through from over-relaxing. This is what led me to LHCF.

A friend recommended a spray made from green coffee beans to me last year. I used it for about 4 months and it definately improved the thickness of my hair. At the end of the 4 months I could part my hair at the top where I used to do comb overs before. Also my hair was no longer see through and people kept asking me if I had on a wig. I only stopped using it to jump on several LHCF bandwagons as I could not incoporate it with other stuff. However I have been thinking of going back to it because it did work. The thing that turned me off this spray was the fact that I had to wet my head and spray it 2xper day! I was relaxed at the time too so this was diffiult so I just sprayed it on dry head, still too much work though. I was worried that my hair would revert back to being very thin and see through with a big bald patch but it did not. This was due to the vits I am on and OCT/MT and improving my diet etc.

Unfortunately this spray is not available in the U.S. It definately works though so I do think coffee rinses will work too as green coffee is the active ingredients.

Though I was also on iron tabs I did not get my haomoglobin up enough during that time, so it was not due to the iron tabs. I will be going back to using coffee as a maintenance product from now on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-480216/Spray-stop-womans-hair-thinning.html

Spray that can stop a woman's hair from thinningBy SEAN POULTER
Last updated at 08:47 06 September 2007

A spray made from coffee bean extracts has been found to stop women's hair thinning, scientists said yesterday.
The treatment - which goes on sale next month - is said to increase the thickness and health of each strand of hair.
It encourages growth from the roots and can prevent age-related hair loss, according to researchers.
Scroll down for more...
Healthy: But hair can start to thin when a woman reaches her 20s
The product works by soothing the scalp, reducing the inflammation that damages hair follicles.
Stewart Long of Boots, which developed the remedy, said: "Our new spray changes the way the immune system acts.
"Effectively, it stimulates the cells to ensure the follicles continue to produce thick healthy hair.
"If the follicle closes, the chances of getting regrowth are virtually nil, even with the high- strength drug treatments that are on the market."
Although the product is targeted at women, it would also work for men.
Four out five women given the spray in independent tests at Glasgow University said it worked.
Three out of four of the guinea pigs said they lost less hair when combing or brushing.
The claims were backed up by scalp tests conducted by a trichologist over a 12-month period.
Small patches of hair were shaved off to see how quickly and thickly they grew back.
Mr Long said women were often reluctant to talk about hair loss.
"It is considered quite normal if a bloke goes bald but for women it is a huge psychological issue," he added.
"It is often speeded by periods of stress or illness.
In reality 50 per cent of women experience some thinning of the hair by the time they reach 50, however most suffer in silence thinking that they are the only ones with the problem.
"But this is not just a condition afflicting the older generation.
"Hair thinning can start for people as young as 20, and can be a massive blow to how women perceive themselves."
Consumer research conducted by Boots shows that 79 per cent of women find hair crucial to their self-esteem.
Another 61 per cent per cent valued their locks more highly than other parts of the body and would rather suffer weight or skin problems than lose them.
Corinne Sweet, a relationship psychologist, said healthy hair had long been a symbol of female attractiveness.
"Losing hair, in strands or clumps, can be deeply distressing for women as a sign of stress, ill-health or ageing," she added.
"Going bald, in patches, or even totally, is really the last great beauty taboo, so a product that can restore vitality and volume to hair should certainly help restore self- esteem, self-confidence and promote a positive self-image."
Creams and potions claiming to tackle ageing and other ailments are common in the beauty industry but many have fallen foul of the Advertising Standards Authority.
Boots said it has received the authority's approval for its claims for the hair spray after presenting its officials with the evidence from its independent trials.
The product - Boots Expert Hair Loss Treatment Spray for Women - can be ordered in advance from the middle of September.
It was developed by the research team behind Protect & Perfect, a beauty serum which became a major sales success after scientists found it could rejuvenate skin and beat wrinkles.
The spray contains antioxidants and centella asiatica, a medicinal plant sometimes called the Indian pennywort.
The green coffee beans used in the hair spray come from Central America.
How the spray works
The spray's ingredients work by calming the immune system and reducing inflammation of the scalp.
Damage to the scalp can cause follicles to shrink or even close up, causing hair to thin and fall out.
Applied to the roots of damp hair twice daily and then rubbed in, the spray allows the hair to be styled as normal.
Boots says the results should be seen within three months.
In an independent study carried out at Glasgow University, women were given the product to use at home for 12 months.
The researchers compared the results for the active product against those for a placebo that looked exactly the same.
They found that 80 per cent of volunteers using the genuine treatment reported significant improvement in hair growth.

Thank you for that testimony! Is that spray for sale the internet??