New SheaMoisture Line - Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
MahoganyCurls posted a photo on her IG

The link to the website: http://www.sheamoisture.com/Jamaican-Black-Castor-Oil_c_374.html

Color me intrigued.

angelhairtype4

I'm no pj, but I want to try it. I like the list of ingredients. The acv was a plus so it's ph balanced. I love castor oil use it all the time. Is black castor same as regular castor oil though?

bluevalentine

I've been on a shea moisture kick and just ordered the styling lotion, masque, and leave in from this line. Can't wait to try it.

I also was questioning why the ingredients don't say Jamaican black castor oil but simply castor oil. Someone school me lol.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Shea Moisture could be staple status but those little *bleep* bottle of conditioners with those stupid pumps attached that only disburse a pinch of conditioner deter me every time. I have no need for anything else besides conditioner and I would hate to fall in love with it and have to buy a bottle of conditioner every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Ann0804

I purchased the leave in, deep conditioning masque, edge control and shampoo.

The leave in really did well detangling my hair which is what I look for in a leave in. The deep conditioner is nice. It made my hair smooth and shiny. I'll try the shampoo this weekend.

It has a light play dough (clay) scent to it.

Mz.MoMo5235

I'm upset! When I heard they were coming out with Jamaican black castor oil I thought it was the oil, not a product line.

I'll stick with the sm prods I already know I like

angelhairtype4

Shea Moisture could be staple status but those little *bleep* bottle of conditioners with those stupid pumps attached that only disburse a pinch of conditioner deter me every time. I have no need for anything else besides conditioner and I would hate to fall in love with it and have to buy a bottle of conditioner every 2 weeks.

I like to switch the pump tops out with the squeeze tops. Hope that helps.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
And I like to put mine in a jar so I can grab a handful of condish at a time. I hate the pumps!

God is an alien, and we are living under a microscope.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I was disappointed again by the ingredient lists. Not everyone can use shea butter and coconut oil so high up.

Maybe in the future I will try it

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I used the shampoo, masque, leave-in & styling lotion. I like only the shampoo & leave-in. The rest is unremarkable.

Only the leave-in has castor oil in the first 5 ingredients.

See my review in the ISO Shea Moisture JBCO thread.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I want to try the leave-in and the edge control. I'm pretty much satisfied with my current leave-ins, so I'll probably try the edge control first.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My local CVS had the leave in and the lotion. The leave in melted the knots and tangles so easily! I am feeling the urge to straiten for the first time in months! I am going to come back with a pic after I am done. If this product continues to perform like this, my transition will be cake!:yep: I decided to not use any heat, but two strand twist my hair. I can tell this product is PH balanced because my twists held up. I will show a pic once I am done. This product line def gets 2 thumbs up from me!:wow:

Last edited:

angelhairtype4

My local CVS had the leave in and the lotion. The leave in melted the knots and tangles so easily! I am feeling the urge to straiten for the first time in months! I am going to come back with a pic after I am done. If this product continues to perform like this, my transition will be cake!:yep: I decided to not use any heat, but two strand twist my hair. I can tell this product is PH balanced because my twists held up. I will show a pic once I am done. This product line def gets 2 thumbs up from me!:wow:

Thx for the review DD. I haven't seen in my CVS I just might have to order some.
Did it make your hair feel stronger? I heard it's got lots of protein in it.

DDTexlaxed

It certainly made my shedding less. I have to use it a few more times to see if it made my hair stronger. I was able to do something I never did before.. Finger detangle! The product did not dry crunchy or hard. I can't stop touching my hair. It's so soft!

oneastrocurlie

I had a similar experience with the leave in. Seemed to melt into my hair and my twists were defined the next day. Still are, two days later.

DDTexlaxed

I posted the picture sideways, but I am officially in love with the SM black castor oil line! My husband also approves!:dinner::up:

CarefreeinChicago

I went to cvs for so something else and happened to past by these product and picked up the leave in since my HG knot today was almost empty.

bluevalentine

i tried the leave in, the masque, and the styling lotion. the styling lotion is mehhh....however the masque and the leave in wow i am in love! the masque left my hair feeling soft, moisturized, and strong. it was easy to detangle, especially with the leave in. like someone said above, it melted right into my hair and my air dried hair was so soft and moisturized. definitely a staple.

only negative is the smell, it does have a light play dough smell, but i can deal with that since it's not too heavy.

mshoneyfly

The leave-in is a creamy consistency and comes in a jar thats larger than their standard size masque jar. The shampoo comes in a larger bottle too. None of the JBCO containers have that annoying pump this time.

IDK why they don't put JBCO in the ingredients list. I wondered about that too. Haven't tried it yet BC Im weaved up right now but I just had to buy the leave-in, styling lotion, masque, poo and oil. I like that they contain ACV to balance pH levels. My hair really likes that.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I was disappointed again by the ingredient lists. Not everyone can use shea butter and coconut oil so high up.

Maybe in the future I will try it

Im allergic to castor. Im not about to risk hives all over my face and scalp.

...sigh..

Would really love to try this line. :ohwell: