2 INCHES IN 4 MONTHS (end of the year) CHALLENGE

ScorpioBeauty09

My hair is definitely growing, though I can't tell how fast since my stylist decided last week of all weeks to even out the sides of my hair since my left side has been shorter than my right for a while.:ohwell: When I started this challenge after my setback my hair was not even SL in some areas, now it's definitely past SL and approaching APL.:grin: I'm still taking Hairfinity. I begin my second bottle today. My main concern is minimizing breakage, which I've noticed very little of lately. I started wearing my hair up so my ends aren't exposed. I also notice that keeps moisture in my hair longer so I don't need to moisturize everyday. If HF is working the way I believe it is, I'm aiming for 3 more inches by the end of the year which will put me back where I was before my setback.

Last edited:

Dee Raven

Update: My hair is gross. But I think it's growing. Today I'm going to deep condition either all day or at least for 5 - 6 hours. Then next week I think I'll try to do a henna treatment. I'll try to take a mini-update pic later today or tomorrow.

greenandchic

Update: Not sure how much my hair has grown yet (haven't done a length check).

I did a yogurt/cassia treatment on Thursday, made a flax seed/black tea gel for my hair and finally strained the shikakai out of the coconut oil and used it last night to twist my hair with for a twist out bun. My hair was super shiny this morning though I hope it does some good.

PureSilver

hm-mm...my hair is growing i can tell, especially my edges that have been filling in nicely. I try to be consistent with my use of MT and moisturising with Shea Butter right after.

Oh i discovered that Shea butter applied heavily on my wet hair is the best detangler and moisturizer.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I'm in. Maybe I will reach APL by Decmeber 31st. *wishful thinking* :rolleyes:

What's your regimen?
It's a simple weekly routine.
Pre-poo with coconut based oil mix (and sometimes conditioner or over-night treatment.) Spray scalp with water spiked with apple cider vinegar and apply castor oil to edges and nape. (Done the night before wash day.)
Wash with shampoo and conditioner. The gently towel dry, moisturize with a cream or butter, seal with coconut based oil mix, detangle with a wide-tooth comb, cornrow, and allow to air dry. (All of this is done on one day usually on the weekend.)
In-between washes, moisturize hair every 2-3 days with cream/butter and seal with oil mix.
Deep conditioning or do protein treatments are not on a set schedule, but on a as needed basis.

What Products are you using?
Shampoo: Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo
Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Deep conditioner: Mizani Kerfuse (protien) and Hydrafuse (moisture) 1:3 mix
Moisturizer: Qhemet Biologics Aethopika Twisting Butter
Sealant: coconut, sesame, rice bran, and vitamin E oil mix

What will you especially do for achieving this goal?
Protective styling with my hair in cornrows under a wig till the end of the year.
Deep conditioning more often. Applying castor oil to scalp more often throughout the week.
Taking my vitamins: multi, fish oil, MSM, biotin, and super B-complex.
Working out 5-6 days per week, drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, eating a proper diet and getting a good amount of sleep.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Hey:hiya:
Did a wet wrap yesterday since i didn't feel like a rollerset. My hair has gotten thicker. I cut about 1 inch 2 weeks ago (2nd trim of the year). I probably could have waited but the ends were really bothering me.

I REALLY want to be BSL by the end of the year. I'm starting the deeep moisture method today. Will be going to the salon today so thay can braid my hair in a beehive.... wish me luck :) I have restarted taking the MSM but only twice per week. we'll see how this goes..

Saga

The Generous Queen
I have definitely been slacking on my vitamin/water game...but my exercising and sulfur application are on POINT. I've been exercising at least 3 times a week so far.

Seamonster

Got to step up my exercise game. Dealing with splits so I am trimming once per month, and doing a lot of seek and destroy, just hoping I grow so fast, I reach BSL by December. Gonna twist bun for the rest of the year, except my birthday weekend. Don't know how I will wear my hair for that?

Feels like I have been stuck at APL for the longest, keep running into issue after issue.

nisemac

checking in...

finally got my shipment of Shea Moisture and Aphogee products. Preshampoo--coconut oil. also took out cornrows

Shampoo--Shea Moisture Hibiscus and coconut

Monthly protein treatment-- Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment. Usually use an egg. this was my first time trying Aphogee. minimal heat as my bonnet didnt work. not sure how i feel about it. i think maybe 1 every two months versus once a month.

Deep Conditioner-- Shea Moisture Deep treatment mask for 1/2 hour then follow up with hair mayonnaise.

Leave in--Aphogee Leave in, shea butter, and avg.

back in cornrows and wearing wig. mid-week (or as needed) will spritz with diluted leave in and Shea Moisture Elixir.

have no plans to check length until end of October.

Imani

Got my 1/2 inch for September. 1.5 more to go.

If I stick to my reggie and stay on point with my vitamins/diet I think I can do it.

Last edited:

BreeNique

SOUNDING OFF::

all well on my front. hair is doing well, haven't done a legit length check in a minute.
keeping it bunned up/ top-knotted up, ends tucked away. i need headbands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the regimen is the same, been using my Kenra up (eh...?), keeping it moisturized and protien-ed up. seeing some shedding (bulbs on the ends), and some breakage. not surprising. it's the relaxed ends. -_-

In November I'll be getting a weave (hopefully!!!), so that'll be something to keep my hair safe in this cold new england fall/ winter. in december i'll do my final couple of inches of BC, and hopefully my new growth from THIS CHALLENGE (!!) will put me to a full head of healthy, natrural hair.

<3 bh

iamtan

Hmmm...I think I will join this challenge (unofficially). I want to see if I could hit my goal of APL by the end of December by using the techniques (or lack of) that I used to help retain my hair that grew 2 inches in four months. My starting pic will be from the end of August on the thread : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=562521&

I will be consistant and add a new progress pic on the end of October and the end of December. :)

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Checking In:

Got my hair braided so I will be wearing a wig for the rest of the year :grin:. I plan to rebraid every 4 - 6 weeks.

Charla

You women and your darn challenges! And me and my darn need to gain these inches! I'm in! My next LC is Sept 3. I'll post pics then.
in the meantime, this is the nape as of today, freshly washed and blown out.

What's your regimen?
Wash once every 7-10 days. M&S as needed. Keeping it very simple.
Avj, Aussie Moist, castor oil.
What will you especially do for achieving this goal?

Sulfur oil, scalp massages & GHE every other day.
Continue vitamin reggie.
Continue walking 4 days weekly.

Just updating that I'm locking my hair away for the rest of the year! I want to retain ALL my growth! Getting braids in a cornrow bun Saturday and then again in mid November. I'll be taking them out at the end of the year for my progress pics.

TeeSGee

Checking in: I'm still sticking with my reggi and K.I.S.S. I added biolage ultra control deep smoothing masque into my reggi and i'm loving it.. It makes my hair soft, silky smooth, and detangled..I've also not used any direct heat.. i do a ponytail rollerset wkly and air dry overnight and I love the results.

pookaloo83

I'm going to unofficially join. I wish I would have taken a length check before but...:ohwell: I'm collar bone length. Trying to aim for APL but I may be thinking too far ahead on that. :lol:

prettybyrd

I received all of my products, and I have updated my regimen. I'm still stretching, bunning, and plaiting my hair.

Here is my new regimen with the new products.

Shampoo: Taliah Waajid Black Earth Shampoo
Conditioner: LP Organic Honey and Vanilla Smoothie, Darcey's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioning Cream, Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner (I love conditioners!)
Moisturizer: LP Fresh Cream
Seal: Grapeseed oil, JBCO
Deep treatment: DB Hair mask
Gel: Eco styler - Pink

youwillrise

just wanted to note that i updated/changed my regimen in my original post. ive been using only natural products with no chemicals, plastics, etc and i will continue to do so.

i put some new twists in my hair last night. did something a bit different. i was going to do rope twists, but i decided that all the twirling was getting annoying, so what i did was braided the base, twisted most of the hair and then braided the ends. hopefully it'll have more staying power. shooting for 4 weeks in these.

UPDATED regimen - 10-2-2011.

What's your regimen? cleanse with bentonite clay once every 1.5 to 2 weeks. condition with aubrey organics conditioners (honeysuckle rose & white camellia). dc twice a week, rinse & condition once a week. oils galore (mostly castor, apricot, avocado, oyin burnt sugar...im also trying [not sure i'll rebuy] rice bran and sunflower oils) . wearing twists or braids for 2 to 4 weeks at at time. finger detangling on twist/braid takedown day in the shower. no combs/brushes.
What Products are you using? see above
What will you especially do for achieving this goal? nothing special. keeping ends moist and protected.

i'll try to take some photos maybe later tonight or tomorrow afternoon (after work) depending on when my hair dries...i'm currently dc'ing my hair and will rinse soonish. i'll release a few twists in different areas on my hair and do a pull down.

HauteHippie

I keep trying to post a starting pic... to no avail. The forum keeps force closing from my phone!

Anyway, I've changed my reggie, too.

I'm using Silk Dreams products almost exclusively, now.
I wash with Whip My Hair and condition with Vanilla Silk. Apply the leave in and seal with Pre.

I twist my hair nightly with a little Cantu (the one in the white jar with the orange top). Not sure how long that will last.

I will jump back on the sulfur bandwagon soon, in which case I will co-wash every other day with a Mane and Tail Original/Giovanni SAS mix.

I'm still steaming every 7-10 days with ORS Replenishing pak or Giovanni's deep conditioner pack.

I'm considering that Nonie just might be right and I will probably become regular duster.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

song_of_serenity

Checking in. Haven't been consistent with anything. :/ No vitamins etc, but I'm going to go back to twists (been doing buns) and leave it alone and take some biotin. I got the mud wash and it'll be used every two weeks. I want to do the KISS method.

brownsugarbaby

Ladies! I'm thinking about taking myself out of this challenge.

I have been so inconsistent with my regimen. I typically like to stay in protective styles for an entire month and only manipulate my hair to take down, deep condition, and put back up.

However, I am a recent graduate and looking frantically for a job. And because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, I cannot show up to an interview unpolished,with fuzzy braids or twists.

So about every other week or so I'm taking down my hair, pulling on it all crazy, shedding, and breaking like nobody's business. I will credit the shedding to increased stress and the breakage to carelessness.

All that to say, I think its best for me to stop while I'm ahead. I doubt I'll be able to see progress with my antics. I'm hoping to find a job this week so that I can get back to my regular scheduled progress.

youwillrise

decided to use up the bit of sulfur i have. what the heck. i'm not really consistent when i do it, but i'll use it up and see if i see results...or "extra" growth.

i know i said in an earlier post that i didnt feel like sulfuring...haha, but i'll try it.

HauteHippie

brownsugarbaby

I understand completely. That was me last year. I might as well have been straight yanking my hair out with all of the manipulation. My best friend saved me with a full sew-in for my birthday.

Good luck in your search and don't be afraid to reach out to us for assistance.

Truly wishing you all the best.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

brownsugarbaby

EtherealEnigma

Thank you for the support. I just need to get back on my feet so I get on with things.

I may or may not post my progress in the end depending on how the next three months go. My birthday is New Years Eve, I would love to be MBL by then.

We shall see! Keep me in your hair thoughts ladies. :)

ScorpioBeauty09

Update!: Friday was a wash day and I can tell my hair is definitely growing back, actually faster than I thought. I'm 1 inch away from full APL and 2 inches away from where I was before my setback. My hair's grown at least an inch and half. My goal for this challenge was 4 inches, so we'll see how that happens. I guess Hairfinity is really working for me.:yep:

Jewell

Have been on point with the water (drinking about 1-2 liters per day). Inconsistent with taking my vits, but gettin back on track tonight. I have been avidly protective styling, as usual, in a high bun secured by a plastic duck bill clip. Edges lightly gelled down, and satin scarf to let the hair "set" and keep the frizzies away. Have been really paying attention to oiling my hair with coconut oil based Ayurvedic oils. Oiling scalp every 3 days with my herbal oil mix.

I seem to have gotten at least some good growth since my last official length check photo in April, which put me at BSL. Now, when I stretch my hair manually, it is past BSL and since I have a tattoo down my spine I can tell it has definitely grown, not a matter of just pulling technique. I hope to be WL stretched by May next year.

I have not straightened since June 2010. Don't plan to straighten, either. Straight looks = wigs and weaves over here! No heat, and I love my curls and kinks. I just wish I could loosen the tight curls a teeny bit so that it doesn't shrink up so much, helping me to actualize more length without straightening.

AwesomelyNappy

checking in.

I have been consistent for the most part with my regime. I stopped taking my vits for a week due to stress and my stomach aching two weeks ago, so last week i stopped taking all vits. It was actually hard to give up because i had become accustomed to taking them in the mornings. I'm going to start back up today minus the prenatal... I'm going to find a regular ole multivit to replace it. Also, i've been drinking green smoothies just about every day for a month, so i know its benefiting my hair (body, skin, overall health) somehow.

I'd been stressed and noticed some shedding, but it has waned in the past few days but i'm keeping an eye on it (especially since the stress hasn't gone anywhere). The shedding wasn't anything major, but still i noticed a little more than usual. I haven't noticed much breakage, and i dusted my hair in the front last weekend (and also cut me in some bangs).

The past few days i've been wearing my hair out in a wash & go, using a little moisturizer mist and some proclaim activator gel with olive oil (love this for wash and goes. eco styler is nice and defines well, but makes my hair hard. the proclaim defines well, gives hold but my hair is not stiff, and its only 2.99). as much as i like w&g's, i'm going to hold off for a while because i dont want to start finding ssk's and breakage because of it.

I didn't dc my hair on Friday, so tonight i will just use an ors deep condish pack on my hair for 45 min, oil rinse, braid and be done with it.

PureSilver

So i tried the wig thing for a month and i realize that my hair thrives better when i weave it up for weeks at a time. I don't plan on washing it often like i've done in the past maybe once every two weeks for the next 8 weeks that i'll have it in. I also put my hand in my hair way too much when i'm wearing the wig, so what works for me is weaving it up. Oiling my scalp and leaving my hair alone for weeks at a time.

I do hope to get the two inches for this challenge.

missjones

Checking in: I have been keeping my regimen simple. Washing and DCing once a week. And I've been doing wngs and blowing with a diffuser on cool. I haven't been co-washing, too much manipulation.