From to SL to BSL to WL....How long did it take you?

AvaSpeaks

Okay, I will add a question to this thread.

How long did it take people who are completely natural? Any SL to BSL to beyond?

tylertown

SL - I've always had long hair so i've always been beyond this

APL - I cut it and it took about 3 mos to get back here

BSL - About 4 months

I'm in between these two.

MBL - I think in 2 more months I'll be here

Biggest contributer is conditioning and low manip.

lejardinier

I'm BSL or longer now but I never noticed how long it was until my husband looked at my hair one day and said 'Oh my god, do you know how long your hair is?' So I'm figuring that it took from mid-2005 to December 2006. But I've only been on this site for three months. I think the main thing that helped my hair was getting rid of the demonic stylist who has been doing my hair since I was a teen. I just started doing it myself. Found someone to touchup twice a year. Heat once a year. Only set it if I have something special to go to. Twisting it in big chunks all over gives me the same kind of effect anyway. I stock up on Italian hair products when I go there on vaca but everything else comes from here. Don't brush, don't comb much. Water down my shampoos 2 to 1. CW three times a week. Protein shakes. Indian oils. All of the usual stuff. I use the same 5-10 products all the time. Oh, yeah. I keep my hair covered whenever I leave the house. All year long.

tkj25

i'm currently growing my natural hair out again from a big chop:drunk:, but when i had shoulder-length hair it took me about a year and a half to get to mid-back.

from sl to bsl/mb = 1.5 to 2 years (on average)
bsl/mb = 1.5 to 2 years (on average)

#1 contributor to retention: protective styles (yarn braids & twists), wms (wet, moisturize & seal), minimal heat, no-pooing, supplements ...

Last edited:

remnant

I'm natural 4b
From SL to hit BSL(stretched) : 2years+ 2months

Contributor for Retention:
  1. Moisture moisture moisture moisture (moisturiser,sealant,deep conditionner)
  2. protective style (crown and glory box braids, weave, twists)

Last edited:

Babygurl

Thank you for responding.

If you had to start all over again, what would you have done differently?

I cant say I would have done anything differently, the trials I experienced (finding the right products and methods) are just part of the learning experience, you never know whats best for your hair until you try. OF course If I started from TODAY and cut my hair it would grow right back because now I have the knowledge on how to retain it, the correct product to use, and the correct methods (when to relax, how to completely detangle, etc.)

winterinatl

All natural!
Well it took me a couple of years to get from shoulder to brastrap. I can't seem to get past bSL for anything, though :ohwell: with my current regimen. I don't really think there's anything left to do but stop trimming, but don't want to b/c I love blunt, healthy ends on my head. If I don't trim I get splits, even with the DC' ing, the protein, the protective style and no heat. Bah!!

Cichelle

I did the big chop in July 2005. From my pics, it looks like, at that time, my hair was SL when stretched.

SL--July 2005
APL--March/April 2006
Barely making BSL (very top of my bra strap)--July 2006
BSL (bottom of bra strap)--October 2006
WSL--June/July 2007

So, it looks like I went from SL to WSL in two years. These are stretched lengths, though.

Things that helped me retain might be: protective styles every day (buns and updos), no heat, no trimming, frequent co-washes (usually daily, but sometimes less over the last couple of years), no combing or brushing EXCEPT with conditioner in the hair and only with seamless combs, and using natural butters and oils.

sylver2

lets see...
in 95 hair was shaved in back and had halle berry cut.
started growing hair out spring 96.
was SL spring 97.
APL dec 97.

cut again to necklength 2000
had a scissor happy stylist for awhile so didn't make SL until end of 2001.
2002-2003 STUCK between SL & APL
APL-2004
BSL-FALL-2005
MBL-JAN-2006
WL- SUMMER-2007

Last edited:

aa9746

I know there is a thread like this somewhere but I dont feel like looking for it.

From to SL to BSL to WL....

How long did it take you?

#1 Contributor to Retention?

I'm looking at your progress and I'm curious to know your #1 contributor to retention.:grin: