New and Lost

lshevonne

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this great site but need lot's of help.
My hair length is anywhere from 2 1/2 inches to 5 inches long. If you know of any good relaxers please share. I've used Fabulaxer in the past but have just switched to Just For Me. I was looking for something not so strong. My hair is 4B and has been shedding a lot. Way before the relaxer switch. I know it's all due to stress. I don't take any vitamins but know I need to. (I hate pills) I love the braid out styles but don't think my hair is long enough for them. I'm going on week 8 since my last touch-up and it's really hard. I'm trying to see if I can make it to 12 weeks. I know my hair needs the break. I wash/condition my hair once a week, deep conditions every week or every other week. Apply JFM maintenance products, Frizz Ease - Relax Serum, Olive Oil and Hair Food. I also apply Infusium 23 and/or Aura Elixir as leave ins. I think that covers everything that I do. I haven't used curling irons, flat irons or blowdryers in about 2 mths. I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail hair piece or bun.
** Let me just add that my funds a very limited ** LOL

Kitkat

<font color="purple"> Hi Ishevonne! Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us! Looking forward to seeign more posts from you soon. The ladies here are extremely helpful and very supportive.

Are Fabulaxer and Just for Me lye relaxers or no-lyes? I ask because, as many of us found out thru trial and error (including me) /images/graemlins/smirk.gif no-lye relaxers tend to be very drying on the hair in the long run. A few ladies here use no-lye relaxers, and their hair looks great. Check out the home page model, Adrienne - I believe she uses Dark &amp; Lovely no-lye &amp; she has beautiful hair. But from everything that I've read on this forum and in black hair care books, no-lye relaxers don't agree with most of us. I use Affirm Mild, which worked surprising well on my 4a/4b hair.

Maybe you are waiting too long between relaxers. Some women can go for 12 months between touch ups, whereas others must relax at the 8 week mark (or even sooner). If you've been waiting too long, perhaps that's why you're experiencing the problems you have. But on that note, how is your hair shedding? Are you losing entire strands with a white bulb on the end, or no?

Many of us here swear by Wild Growth Oil, and I'm sure others will weigh in on the hair cremes/oils that they love. Some of my favorites are ORS Carrot Oil or Kiehls with Silk Groom. I know that your funds are limited, but maybe if you can keep one good quality product in your arsenal, this could make a difference.

I hope that this helps! /images/graemlins/wink.gif</font color>

lshevonne

Both are no-lye. My hair is very soft so I'm afraid to use a lye relaxer. I did read about the WGO, and saw it at Sally's. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help.

lshevonne

I did forget to mention that the hair in the back is where it seems to be shedding. It's a little bit of both, long strands and small breaks. Not very much with the white bulbs.

Kitkat

<font color="blue"> Ishevonne, keep in mind: a lye relaxer is your friend!! Seriously, many of us used no-lye relaxers in the past because one would think that avoiding lye is a good thing. The truth is, the active ingredient in no lye relaxer, calcium hydroxide, causes calcium build-up that leads to dryness with continued use. Again, there are exceptions; Adrienne, an active member here, has gorgeous hair that most of us would kill for &amp; I believe she uses a no-lye relaxer. Conditioning lye relaxers condition as they relax, contributing to soft hair. If you're concerned that your hair is very soft (do you mean fine in texture?) you can use mild strength relaxer.

If you can, you should pick up a book that many of us have purchased and found to be helpful. The author's name is Shamboosie, and the book is titled 'Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems.' It is extremely informative and chock full of information, most of which we have found very useful.

Now about that shedding . . . could be many reasons for it. Do you sleep on your back, or wrap your hair? Try a good protein conditioner, followed immediately with a good moisturizing conditioner. Could also be just plain old stress.

I can't speak on Nexxus Emergencee because I've never used it; sorry! </font color> /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LondonDiva

Ishevonne

The bulbs on the end of your hair can either be black or white. Mine are black in colour. If you can't see them too well with the naked eye them run the hair strand between your fingers and at the end you should be able to feel the bulb.

sweetcocoa

<font color="purple">Welcome, I saw in your post you don't like pills...many of us ladies here are trying liquid vitamins(I take Centrum Liquid...and I'm looking for liquid in my other vitamins).</font color>

lshevonne

KitKat, LondonDiva &amp; Sweetcocoa Thanks for all the help.
I don't wrap my hair as often as I should but do sleep on my back sometimes. I did check out the Buried Treasure, good info. Ok, liquid vitamins here I come. :0)
I'll also keep an eye out for the book...

SVT

Sweetcocoa, can I get Centrum liquid at any retailer? I'm taking the tablets right now and was hoping they had a liquid form.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Welcome, I saw in your post you don't like pills...many of us ladies here are trying liquid vitamins(I take Centrum Liquid...and I'm looking for liquid in my other vitamins).

[/ QUOTE ]