How did u thicken your hair STRANDS???

LaidBak

JBCO is definitely working to thicken my edges. I saw a noticeable improvement within a month. I lost my starting pics so I can't show my beginning progress up until now...but I have my now pics and will just track my progress from this point. What is joico k pak exactly...how do you use it...what is it good for?

Girl I know! I was JUST over in the JBCO thread looking at your progress pics. I hope for similar results.

Joico K Pak Reconstructor is just a protein conditioner. I was at a military academy and we did PT (sorry, Physical Training) 3 times a week. So I had to wash my hair 3 times a week. I had very little time to do it in because we only had 45 minutes to shower and get to class afterward. I used Joico because I knew my hair would get mushy and break off from that much washing if I didn't give it some protein. And Joico works in only 3 minutes. Anyway, I noticed that my hair stopped breaking altogether, and the strands were so much thicker! I used to have practically see through strands. It was pathetic. But after those two months my strands are thicker and stronger. In fairness, I also stopped using heat. I didn't have time to blow dry so I wet bunned 5 days a week.

Mystic

Try the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer. You will be shocked at how this bad boy thickens your strands almost instantly.

I have also used volumizer mouse before I rollerset and that has been working well too but the Aphogee leave in is da bomb!

Solitude

hola_lo2002 are you relaxed? If so, simply stretching out your relaxers will strengthen and thicken your hair in general, along with less direct heat.

Products can coat your hair, making it appear thicker, but the way to thicken it up over time by not doing things that thin out your hair like overprocessing and flat-ironing.

As far as BKT, all the pics of BKT'd hair that I've seen look thinner.

Textured styles and rollesets can also give give the appearance of voluminous hair.

ETA: sorry I had your name wrong, OP! no wonder my "mention" wasn't working.

Last edited:

Aicer

I've heard using cellophanes help thicken the hair also. I've never used it though but I want to, maybe someone can chime in who has.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Girl I know! I was JUST over in the JBCO thread looking at your progress pics. I hope for similar results.

Joico K Pak Reconstructor is just a protein conditioner. I was at a military academy and we did PT (sorry, Physical Training) 3 times a week. So I had to wash my hair 3 times a week. I had very little time to do it in because we only had 45 minutes to shower and get to class afterward. I used Joico because I knew my hair would get mushy and break off from that much washing if I didn't give it some protein. And Joico works in only 3 minutes. Anyway, I noticed that my hair stopped breaking altogether, and the strands were so much thicker! I used to have practically see through strands. It was pathetic. But after those two months my strands are thicker and stronger. In fairness, I also stopped using heat. I didn't have time to blow dry so I wet bunned 5 days a week.
I understand what PT means, lol. I work for the govt, although I'm civilian (civil service)....most ppl would be like PT? What's PT....I know that PT takes a toll on on the ladies' hair. JBCO really helped me. I also have been caring for my hair better in addition to using JBCO....weekly DC, no more traditional wrapping, protective styling 24-7. I might give k-pak a try sometime in the future. ETA: thx for serving.

lamaria211

ive been using castor oil, but this weekend i purchased (because it was on sale) sammy fat head thickening conditioner i havent tried it yet

Krystle~Hime

You have to use Indigo w/ Henna (a 2-step process) to make one's hair jet black. Henna all by itself gives you red or orange tones. I use Henna and Indigo and have been for over 3 1/2 years.

i've read, that "indigo" is not jet black, but dark blue..
I would like to try Henna and keep my color, I luv my hair color, it's a very darked black more dark than #1B and don't want reddish tones, ou blue tones :'( please clear me !!!

Krystle~Hime

okay about protein, I have hydrolyzed wheat protein that can I had to my deep treatment.
but I'm natural, I don't think it will be good to use a protein treatment 3 times a week like you. it will make my hair feels hair and surely more brittle..
which frequency do y'all think I have to do a protein treatment?
once, twice a month? once a week?
thanks in advance because I really dunno.

LaidBak

okay about protein, I have hydrolyzed wheat protein that can I had to my deep treatment.
but I'm natural, I don't think it will be good to use a protein treatment 3 times a week like you. it will make my hair feels hair and surely more brittle..
which frequency do y'all think I have to do a protein treatment?
once, twice a month? once a week?
thanks in advance because I really dunno.

Hydrolyzed wheat protein is used mostly for moisture, so I don't think your hair would get brittle. Keratin and collagen are used for strength. There are many good threads that explains what each type of protein is good for.
Yes, my hair is relaxed and benefits from extra protein. You should always listen to your hair to see what it needs.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=20494&pagenumber=
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=85360&pagenumber=

MissHoney26

light to medium strength protein every week, little to no direct heat, and dusting frequently keeps my hair thick from root to tip. I can't forget jbco either!

LaidBak

Try the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer. You will be shocked at how this bad boy thickens your strands almost instantly.

I have also used volumizer mouse before I rollerset and that has been working well too but the Aphogee leave in is da bomb!

Mystic How are you using the Aphogee leave in? Daily? Once a week? With/without heat? I always thought it had to be used with heat to be effective, and I avoid heat. But I am interested in how you got your results.

Last edited:

ActionActress

So far great answers. I do alot of henning and brahmi-ing, and shikakai-ing and such.:grin:

But the concern is, although one may have alot of thinner strands that could make the over all look of the hair thick already... how does one thicken each, individual strand of single hairs.

From what I have heard some years ago, Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) will thicken the strands as they GROW OUT of the scalp. This however does take time.

AA

hola_lo2002

Like you, I have thin strands but a lot of them, people always say I have thick hair but I know it isn't (or wasn't) true.

2 things that really helped are Henna and castor oil but I would say Henna the most since I'm not that consistant with castor oil. With each treatment I could feel and see my strands getting thicker. The last time I flatironed I could really feel how thick and heavy my had become. I wear a satin pocket bonnet at night when I've flatironed and before the ends would bend because my hair is actually to long for the pocket bonnet but now it doesn't because my ends are thicker and heavier.

I even got my cousin who suffers from alopecia on the Henna band wagon. She said it makes the few strands she still had thicker and the bald spots are filling in with fine hairs.
Just make sure you use BAQ Body Art Quality Henna. If the Henna has ppd in it, it can do more harm than good.

HTH

Thanks for the info!!! now i just have to find that henna ( I live in Canada) and see how it works. It gets really frustrating when u know you're doing everything to keep your hair healthy but it keeps breaking anyway because it's too thin..... Do you buy your henna online???

hola_lo2002

Interesting facts..... I've been taking vitamins consistently for awhile now and it contains vitamin B5. Do you know the concentration needed in order for the B5 to be effective??

So far great answers. I do alot of henning and brahmi-ing, and shikakai-ing and such.:grin:

But the concern is, although one may have alot of thinner strands that could make the over all look of the hair thick already... how does one thicken each, individual strand of single hairs.

From what I have heard some years ago, Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) will thicken the strands as they GROW OUT of the scalp. This however does take time.

AA

hola_lo2002

Lol!!! I barely use the flat iron... Only use it to do length checks every 3-4 months if I'm not too lazy :) ... and that's what is so frustrating about this situation. I rarely use heat and my hair is still thin. Since I've been taking hairfinity they dont break as much but I still get some breakage (I do trim every 3 months too). So my last alternative before I give up really is to find a thickener. I'm going have to try Henna and see if it makes a difference like some of you suggested. I already tried the Joick K-pak and didn't really see a difference after 3 months of using it consistently (17 minute-miracle kit). I have to admit that i've been slacking off the JBCO so I'll have to start using that again. Hair can be SOOO complicated.......
stop using the flat iron. :yep:

ActionActress

@hola...

When I found out about at the time, the average amount us hair growers were taking was atleast 1000 mg. per day. At the same time we were finding out that it made our acne prone skin clearer at those amounts. Some were taking up to 2000 mgs, 2500mgs as the highest amount. I wouldn't go any higher. (People were coming off accutane.)

AA

ActionActress

If I am recalling correctly FO-TI herb became really popular because of hair thickening and growing extending properties. I think.

AA

edit: The key is GROWING in each INDIVIDUAL strand thicker, even if slightly...can make a good difference.

hola_lo2002

@hola...

When I found out about at the time, the average amount us hair growers were taking was atleast 1000 mg. per day. At the same time we were finding out that it made our acne prone skin clearer at those amounts. Some were taking up to 2000 mgs, 2500mgs as the highest amount. I wouldn't go any higher. (People were coming off accutane.)

AA

Wow, that's alot!!!! There's only 200mg (in total) of B5 in the Hairfinity vitamins.... I'm going to add more to my daily intakes then! Thanks for the info!

72giagia

Teddy B, How do you use the henna? Do you henna before or after a relaxer and how long before/after relaxer? Where do you purchase the henna is online or a local store? What is your henna receipe? Sorry so many questions? I'm new and your hair is beautiful. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Shadiyah

Can you please tell me what PPD is?

Like you, I have thin strands but a lot of them, people always say I have thick hair but I know it isn't (or wasn't) true.

2 things that really helped are Henna and castor oil but I would say Henna the most since I'm not that consistant with castor oil. With each treatment I could feel and see my strands getting thicker. The last time I flatironed I could really feel how thick and heavy my had become. I wear a satin pocket bonnet at night when I've flatironed and before the ends would bend because my hair is actually to long for the pocket bonnet but now it doesn't because my ends are thicker and heavier.

I even got my cousin who suffers from alopecia on the Henna band wagon. She said it makes the few strands she still had thicker and the bald spots are filling in with fine hairs.
Just make sure you use BAQ Body Art Quality Henna. If the Henna has ppd in it, it can do more harm than good.

HTH

Krystle~Hime

okay, this night i've read so many threads and asked so many questions !
so I think I'm gonna give a serious try to Cassia Obovata. Same strengthening and thickening properties as Henna, but with this, I will be able to keep my dark hair color that I luv(hihi :p )
I'm gonna give it a serious try for the whole October month. I'm so in a hurry.

LaidBak

Wow, that's alot!!!! There's only 200mg (in total) of B5 in the Hairfinity vitamins.... I'm going to add more to my daily intakes then! Thanks for the info!

Be careful with mega doses of vitamins. I jumped on the B5 bandwagon and had a terrible reaction. Increase the dosage over time, listen to your body, and don't force anything for the sake of hair.