Why do you relax?

UniquelyDivine

Hello ladies! I am relaxed myself and have been since 7 y/o, my question to the relaxed ladies is why do you relax? I have heard naturals say they did it because they were tired of the chemicals and for various other reasons, so please do tell.... why do you choose to relax your hair?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
becuase i was tired of the single strand knots, having a hard time detangling, tired of having my WL hair look like SL hair from shrinkage, i wanted to do the "white girl" flip at least once in my life. and i love the feeling of hair dangling my lower back. i have the option of straight hair and curly hair. and its wayyy more fun for me to be relaxed/texlaxed

UniquelyDivine

^^ I actually did do a search but I didn't see one like this * shrugs* I'm still interested in what people that may have missed the old threads have to say... Sorry if it's been done before.

lovelexi

for me to answer that question then i must explain why im not natural. well i've been relaxed since about 11 yrs old. i feel like i want to be natural but the process of getting there isnt appealing to me. so i make my life easier by continuing to relax

dede1129

I relax/texlax because I love enjoying the length of my hair and being able to wear it straight or curly. I still can do my braidouts like I was doing when I was transitioning but my hair is more manageable and does not get tangled which allows me to retain more length. I decided to end my transition and texlax because it fit my lifestyle as well. I Love being texlaxed! It's the best of both worlds to me!

bimtheduck

I relax but daily maintence and styling is easier for me with straight hair. I can achieve curly or wavy hair without heat. I'm not so sure that if I were natural I could achieve straight hair without heat. And I don't want to BC or deal with transitioning just yet.

^^ I actually did do a search but I didn't see one like this * shrugs* I'm still interested in what people that may have missed the old threads have to say... Sorry if it's been done before.

Sometimes the search feature is down or the threads that do come up might not be as relavent because they're years old.

Arcadian

I relax because I can.

I have no crazy 3 page report, and no reasons beyond that. I've been natural, I've been bald (twice), it works for where I am at this time in my life.

-A

Livingmylifetothefullest

I really don't know. My mother got sick of doing my hair (and my crying, smacking me with the comb, me fidgeting constantly, etc.) so she wanted it relaxed and I've been getting it done ever since. Eventually, I want to go natural but not right now. I'll stick with what I know.

UniquelyDivine

I really don't know. My mother got sick of doing my hair (and my crying, smacking me with the comb, me fidgeting constantly, etc.) so she wanted it relaxed and I've been getting it done ever since. Eventually, I want to go natural but not right now. I'll stick with what I know.

That's kind of how I feel, I really don't why I am, I've been natural but didn't know what I was doing so I couldn't enjoy it. So relaxed hair was easier for me, I'll try it again someday though.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm waaaay too hair lazy to flat iron my hair on the regular. And my style preference happens to be straight or loose curls.

brucebettye

I texlaxed so that my hair can hang down instead of just out. I like the ease of texlaxed hair, even thought I don't wear it straight. I just like to be able to detangle my hair with ease and just slick it back into a bun. Also I like the way my hair looks and the fact I can still rock an afro or afro puff. Also I can cowash my hair in the morning and put it in a puff or bun and still look decent. I love my texlaxed hair!!!!!!!!!

MissMusic

Being natural interfered with my profession (people could not see around my hair) and I just like the ease of relaxed hair.

augiemoment

I was natural for three years and my hair was very long, thick and healthy BUT
the struggle not to relax was too great as i couldnt bun my hair, i was always having migraine and i would literarily cry every wash day cos my hair was too thick and strong.
even now i know what to do, the minute i have two months or more growth, my hair starts to tangle and would be very hard once it's dry.
I relax to make my hair more manageable cos i cant take the migraines from my natural hair

ajacks

I prefer to wear my hair straight, so accomplishing this with my 4a/4b is not only time consuming it is also potentially damaging from the amount of heat required. I am texlaxed (underprocessed purposely). I feel it's a happy median.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I returned to relaxer after BCing twice becuse I prefer my hair straight. Thats it. I'm currently on a long term stretch and have been toying with transitioning, but ultimately I think I will texlax. I love to WnG and still have fairly straight hair.

SignatureBeauty

I texturize my hair because it is easier for me to deal with, I have been natural before and love it, but don't love the dryness.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

How long were you natural? Was it difficult for you to go back to being relaxed?

I know you didn't ask me but I am gonna answer for me:grin: I had been natural off and on since 2003, My hair grew the same, so it wasn't like I had any faster growth, but the dryness was killing me, I tried everything and it just didn't work, so If i could have combat the dryness I would more than likely still be natural, but this will be my first time growing texturized hair, I had been texlaxed before but preferred more of my kinks & curls, And, no I had no problem going back to the Relaxer, for me, Hair isn't that serious or deep, but for others I understand why it is deep and understand the point they make.

I might end up transitioning and don't touch up, who knows LOL!!!

RossBoss

I relax because the hairstyles that I love the most require straight hair. Also, very easy to manage. In MY opinion, natural hair works for hot climates and I think that is why we have it in the first place, but I live in an area that gets the 4 seasons instead of year round heat so I just relax.

UniquelyDivine

I know you didn't ask me but I am gonna answer for me:grin: I had been natural off and on since 2003, My hair grew the same, so it wasn't like I had any faster growth, but the dryness was killing me, I tried everything and it just didn't work, so If i could have combat the dryness I would more than likely still be natural, but this will be my first time growing texturized hair, I had been texlaxed before but preferred more of my kinks & curls, And, no I had no problem going back to the Relaxer, for me, Hair isn't that serious or deep, but for others I understand why it is deep and understand the point they make.

I might end up transitioning and don't touch up, who knows LOL!!!

Thanks for answering either way :grin: so have you not experienced the same dryness with relaxed hair? If you can find a way to keep your natural hair moisturizer would you stay natural?

Hello ladies! I am relaxed myself and have been since 7 y/o, my question to the relaxed ladies is why do you relax? I have heard naturals say they did it because they were tired of the chemicals and for various other reasons, so please do tell.... why do you choose to relax your hair?
I did it b/c I was tired of busting brand new hair bands trying to get a ponytail.

As a compromise for DH I was either going to cut off about 6 inches or I was going to relax. He didnt want me to cut it so I relaxed it. Does this mean I hate myself? :giggle: