Silicon mix - are we still using it?

MzRhonda

I love it...the slip is amazing and i love the scent.

Yep I just started using it and it is amazing.....I have since ordered the 36oz since 3 of us in my house are natural.......I just added Kanechom and it is even better. :lovedrool: It is easy to manage, detangle, smells great, soft and shiny and since I wear my hair straight it looks and feels soft and shiny and as if I have a relaxer....no frizz. :up:

curlytwirly06

Yep I just started using it and it is amazing.....I have since ordered the 36oz since 3 of us in my house are natural.......I just added Kanechom and it is even better. :lovedrool: It is easy to manage, detangle, smells great, soft and shiny and since I wear my hair straight it looks and feels soft and shiny and as if I have a relaxer....no frizz. :up:

thanks for the info, what is kanechom, and what do u use it for?

Evolving78

Yes please spill out in Kanechom?
it adds more moisture and slip. They have different ones for different needs. Most people use the goat milk one. You just add it to the silicon conditioner and apply. Can't tell you how much to use. Just depends on your length and how much you need. I say half and half. Tablespoon full of each.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I just started using this a few weeks ago and LOVE IT! The first time I used it, tshower rinsing and detangling was blah to say the least but after air drying my hair was soft and shiny because my the products closed my cuticles. I only left it on for about 10 minutes without heat just to test the product. Well this past wash day I steamed it in for about 29-30 minutes and OMG! These two products (Silicon mix and shea butter Kanechom)combined are my new staples, I plan to clarify monthly to prevent build up and I will only use it 2-3 times a month. The other 1-2 washes will be reserved for moisture conditioning with my cone free DC and protein DC. I love that my local BS stocks it. When the cashier asked me about it I just told her it was meh and just a cheap everyday conditioner...sorry but I don't want them to be selling out once the word gets out, lol.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
it adds more moisture and slip. They have different ones for different needs. Most people use the goat milk one. You just add it to the silicon conditioner and apply. Can't tell you how much to use. Just depends on your length and how much you need. I say half and half. Tablespoon full of each.

I read/YT video somewhere to do 2 parts kanchom and 1 part silicon mix so that's what I do. I usually mix too much and just store the remainder mix. The first time I left the mix in an uncovered bowl and it made my bathroom smell so good, lol.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I get mine from Amazon and I'm a Prime member so I get it super fast.
I just ordered a few Kanechom and a Novex product because of this thread. It will be here tomorrow.

I got:
Kanechom Ultimate Aloe Vera Moisturizing and Conditioning Hair Treatment Cream (for wavy and curly hair)
Kanechom Chocolate Hair Moisturizing and Conditioning Cream (I hope this smells good or it will go back)
Silicon Mix Bambu Nutritive Hair Treatment
Novex Argan Oil

curlytwirly06

I get mine from Amazon and I'm a Prime member so I get it super fast. I just ordered a few Kanechom and a Novex product because of this thread. It will be here tomorrow. I got: Kanechom Ultimate Aloe Vera Moisturizing and Conditioning Hair Treatment Cream (for wavy and curly hair) Kanechom Chocolate Hair Moisturizing and Conditioning Cream (I hope this smells good or it will go back) Silicon Mix Bambu Nutritive Hair Treatment Novex Argan Oil

Y'all need to stop. Dang it in just bought a bunch of stuff!

LovinLea

These are the ingredients of the Silicon Mix you guys are using?

INGREDIENTS : Water, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethycone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Keratin, Ceramide, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

CrysMelis

HairCare Enthusiast
These are the ingredients of the Silicon Mix you guys are using? INGREDIENTS : Water, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethycone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Keratin, Ceramide, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

Yep! Full of cones and mineral oil. Just like I like it!

MzRhonda

I read/YT video somewhere to do 2 parts kanchom and 1 part silicon mix so that's what I do. I usually mix too much and just store the remainder mix. The first time I left the mix in an uncovered bowl and it made my bathroom smell so good, lol.

Yes Yes I still have some uncovered unused mixture in a bowl in my closet and it smells wonderful. :grin:

Evolving78

These are the ingredients of the Silicon Mix you guys are using? INGREDIENTS : Water, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethycone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Keratin, Ceramide, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.
this was the reason I didn't bother with it before! All of those natural/cone free products did nothing for me. I had to learn that somebody's bad could be my good! Could have saved myself some money and hair drama. I love sulfates and I love cones! Lol

Evolving78

I just started using this a few weeks ago and LOVE IT! The first time I used it, tshower rinsing and detangling was blah to say the least but after air drying my hair was soft and shiny because my the products closed my cuticles. I only left it on for about 10 minutes without heat just to test the product. Well this past wash day I steamed it in for about 29-30 minutes and OMG! These two products (Silicon mix and shea butter Kanechom)combined are my new staples, I plan to clarify monthly to prevent build up and I will only use it 2-3 times a month. The other 1-2 washes will be reserved for moisture conditioning with my cone free DC and protein DC. I love that my local BS stocks it. When the cashier asked me about it I just told her it was meh and just a cheap everyday conditioner...sorry but I don't want them to be selling out once the word gets out, lol.
I know that's right! Lol

CrysMelis

HairCare Enthusiast
:lol: I'm thinking it might good for when I'm straightening my leave out.

LovinLea

My hair is highly porous. So cones and me are best friends when I want to wear straight, sleek styles. Since my hair cuticle is usually open, the cones and mineral oil that people complain sit atop their hair and does nothing in regards to penetration, actually works in my favor to protect my hair from frizz and moisture in the air. No complaints here.

And yes, it is great for straightening your leave out. Cones also double (for me) as a heat protectant.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
These are the ingredients of the Silicon Mix you guys are using?

INGREDIENTS : Water, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerine, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethycone Copolyol, Cyclomethicone, Keratin, Ceramide, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

I have a game plan in using cones and mineral oil filled products. I plan to use them every week for two weeks and then clarify and DC using my most moisturizing moisture masque. Then the following 2 weeks do a protein treatment that last week...then repeat. I just bought redken clarifying/ chelating shampoo so I'm ready. I don't think I can successfully transition back to natural without cones and mineral oil in my regimen for my 4b hair.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

nymane

Honestly, I don't even consider Silicon Mix to be "cone heavy", in spite of its name. Dimethicone Copolyol is a water-soluble, lightweight silicone, so the only legit cone in the ingredients list is Cyclomethicone

Other than Cyclomethicone, the only other debatable ingredient is Mineral oil. That said, I secretly think that there are some other unlisted ingredients that make this DC so magical :yep: :lick:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
My hairdresser uses all kinds of products and most have mineral oil and cones. He's got hair down his back and I never had a problem when he used them on me; actually my hair was better back then. It wasn't until I joined LHCF that I heard that mineral oil and "cones" were the Devil and jumped on that bandwagon. :rolleyes:

I'm going back to what worked before....

PlainJane

The slip was great! But it did not work for me in terms of moisturizing my hair well. It had the same effect as a protein treatment. I didn't use heat though but I left it on for a few hours while I did some house work. Maybe that's why? I'll give it one more try probably next week DCing with heat for 30 minutes and make my final decision. I wanted this to work so bad! I don't have a holy grail conditioner yet but it's hard to choose one since I'm half natural and half relaxed.

curlytwirly06

The slip was great! But it did not work for me in terms of moisturizing my hair well. It had the same effect as a protein treatment. I didn't use heat though but I left it on for a few hours while I did some house work. Maybe that's why? I'll give it one more try probably next week DCing with heat for 30 minutes and make my final decision. I wanted this to work so bad! I don't have a holy grail conditioner yet but it's hard to choose one since I'm half natural and half relaxed.
Thank you for updating us. You're transitioning correct? Maybe you're hair is in that picky stage, lol. Did you use kanechom with it?

Holla

I can't leave this on my hair for hours. My hair will feel coated if I leave it in too long. This works best for me when I wash, leave it for a few minutes while I shower then rinse or when I DC under a dryer for 20 min then rinse. I use this for mostly slip because it detangles my hair like no other.

Barbara

Princess
I added a little oil to it to make it more moisturizing. :drunk: It's definitely a "keeper."

I'm going to get the shea butter Kanechom to try it. This is the first time I heard about this product. I'll see if it's sold in one or some of the beauty supply stores in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

PlainJane

Thank you for updating us. You're transitioning correct? Maybe you're hair is in that picky stage, lol. Did you use kanechom with it?

lol yes my hair is in the picky transitioning stage. It did make my curls pop though. Does Kanechom provide moisture? I just heard about it from this thread so I'll have to research what it is exactly.

PlainJane

I can't leave this on my hair for hours. My hair will feel coated if I leave it in too long. This works best for me when I wash, leave it for a few minutes while I shower then rinse or when I DC under a dryer for 20 min then rinse. I use this for mostly slip because it detangles my hair like no other.
I usually don't DC that long but I was being lazy and it was in there around 4 hours. I'm definitely going to give it a try using my normal DC routine- 30 mins with heat.

MsSanz92

I still use it been using it on and off since '08. I always use it on my weaves before installing them my hair in general tends to really like Dominican hair products despite the less than stellar ingredients

MsSanz92

this was the reason I didn't bother with it before! All of those natural/cone free products did nothing for me. I had to learn that somebody's bad could be my good! Could have saved myself some money and hair drama. I love sulfates and I love cones! Lol

Me too! My holy grail shampoo (Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo) has sulfates and holy grail deep conditioner (Rolland UNA Moisturizing Masque) has cones and mineral oil in it but I'm not gonna stop using it because of the bad ingredients because they leave my hair feeling like :lick:

MsStella92

I love the Kan Kannechom line as well. I honestly haven't used it in awhile but I can't remember why. Does this have silicone?