WIG CHALLENGE 2014

faithVA

I left my wig in the car last night and it was too cold to go back out and get it. So I tried to warm it up while driving to work this morning :lol:

I don't know if I can bring myself to wear a wig every week. I am wondering if you I need to wear a wig one week and then flat twist extensions the next. I will see how I feel by the end of the week.

Michelle1971

I'm getting back on my wig game after wearing my hair out for the past few months :yep:
Wearing my eloquent hair half wig now.
Eyeing a few synthetics to purchase to rotate in.

CurliDiva

I left my wig in the car last night and it was too cold to go back out and get it. So I tried to warm it up while driving to work this morning :lol:

I don't know if I can bring myself to wear a wig every week. I am wondering if you I need to wear a wig one week and then flat twist extensions the next. I will see how I feel by the end of the week.

Hey @ faithVA,

Please don't say you put it on at a red light! LOL

In the winter, think of your wig as a hair hat! It will help to keep you warm! :)

faithVA

[USER=9197 said:
CurliDiva[/USER];19488385]Hey @ faithVA,

Please don't say you put it on at a red light! LOL

In the winter, think of your wig as a hair hat! It will help to keep you warm! :)

:lol: No, I didn't put it on while in the car, even though I have snatched them off while driving down the highway. I just waited until I got to work to put it on.

The wig does keep my head warm but I really dislike stuff on my head :lol: So I take my wig off when everyone at work leaves and put it on at the very last minute. I'm trying to figure out now how I am going to make it to the end of the day :lol:

faithVA

I am ready to snatch this wig off my head :lol: I can make it 4 more hours. breathe in, breathe out

LovelyRo

Hey, I'm thinking about joining this challenge using u-part wigs. I need an alternative to cornrows under the wig as my crown can't handle it. Any ideas???

faithVA

[USER=30767 said:
All4Tris[/USER];19488991]Hey, I'm thinking about joining this challenge using u-part wigs. I need an alternative to cornrows under the wig as my crown can't handle it. Any ideas???

Can you leave the crown out and then just do individual braids/twists in that section?

I actually have my hair in flat twist under my wig and do loser flat twists in my crown.

LovelyRo

Can you leave the crown out and then just do individual braids/twists in that section? I actually have my hair in flat twist under my wig and do loser flat twists in my crown.

Thanks... I never thought about that! I'll give individual braids in the crown area a try.

Im joining! Iam transitioning to natural and never wigged until I met....Creta Girl. Im in love. I thow her in a bun at work then leave she down for the weekend. I finally figured out how to do a Flat twist that would make you tuber Mahoganycurls jealous! Lol

My plan: braid hair into to individual plaits. Leave and inch perimeter out.I will wash and deep condition my hair every sunday. Moisturize and seal all hair every 2 days, flat twist the perimeter. Sleep in satin scarf.

Stats: My natural hair is 4 inches now. My entire hair is APL. Im 10 months post.

jessicarabbit

cant remember if i joined this challenge or not, but im in lol
i wear wigs faithfully every day and it's been awesome for me. My only issue is my edges, i think they might be thinning a bit. I'm currently wearing the wig in my avatar but in a 1B.
adellehenri81 , I've had Creta girl before and it didnt work out for me. How are you putting it in a bun and all that? and you putting a scarf around the edges?

13StepsAhead

I'm going to remake my wig this weekend... It feels a little loose and I don't want to add pins because I have had them pull out my edges in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

djkforeal

I'm in! I have been wiggin it since late 2009 and I will continue to use them for years to come. I usually wear lace wigs because I just don't like how wiggy some synthetic wigs look so I usually by indian remy or human hair wigs. I will post a starting pic later because I can't upload any right now. I'm excited to join this challenge.

faithVA

I thinnned out Amerie last night. It was my first time. She does look a little better. I will wash her this weekend and see if I need to thin her out some more. I also cut her bangs to keep it out of my eyes. This weekend, I need to buy a brush and some sheen spray.

I also have a Mia human hair wig I thinned her out as well and cut off about 1/2". I am going to try to twist and rod set her to see if I can make her work.

quirkydimples

I may be dropping out of the wig challenge. My color mishap caused me to have to wear my hair to my first week of work. And I've found that doing my hair (a bun using spin pins) isn't really adding much time to my morning prep (I exercise before work).

Also, since I planned on wearing a short wig, I don't want to deal with questions and back and forth should I choose to occasionally wear my CBL hair out at work. (I teach.)

I think I've made my decision.

I still plan to GHE at night and through my morning workout, so hopefully that will be enough for me to make APL this year. Wish me luck!

...off to join another challenge.

NGraceO

I may be dropping out of the wig challenge. My color mishap caused me to have to wear my hair to my first week of work. And I've found that doing my hair (a bun using spin pins) isn't really adding much time to my morning prep (I exercise before work). Also, since I planned on wearing a short wig, I don't want to deal with questions and back and forth should I choose to occasionally wear my CBL hair out at work. (I teach.) I think I've made my decision. I still plan to GHE at night and through my morning workout, so hopefully that will be enough for me to make APL this year. Wish me luck! ...off to join another challenge.

Lol, I'm verrrrry particular about my hair in that way, and I tech as well. I am very selective about that hair I choose to wear because I don't care for questions such as those. Oh middle schoolers. :lol: good luck with everything though!!!

NGraceO

gabulldawg

I've found my wig! I went wig shopping today and was getting really discouraged because I was having a hard time finding a wig that flattered my face. Just when I was about to give up I found one! It's a lace front called Molly by Freetress Equal. It's nice curly waves. I just washed and conditioned it and am planning to wear it tomorrow. Will post pics! I'm really excited about getting back into a wig routine!

Igotstripes

Hi everyone! I think I want to make a wig but I live in a windy city, how do you guys keep your wigs on? Is it possible to sew them down?

LovelyRo

Hi everyone! I think I want to make a wig but I live in a windy city, how do you guys keep your wigs on? Is it possible to sew them down?

I live in a Windy City too... I have a u-part wig that I sew down and one with wig clips (not my fav) but, I haven't had any incidents with the wind.

Last edited:

gabulldawg

How are yu guys caring for your edges under your wig?

Good question. This is something I'm concerned about. I used to wear half wigs, so I never really had to worry about my edges. Now that I'm wearing a full/lace front I hope I don't get any damage to my edges.

So far so good with the wig! I've gotten a lot of complements. DH likes it. My male coworkers say I look sexy. :lol: A female coworker said I looked elegant. :gorgeous:

ojemba

image-2715141849.jpg

Wearing my home made wig today. I took dwn my 8 weeks beehive last week. I did a wash and deep condish on Tuesday and just put in some medium plaits. I'm scheduled to get my beehive this Saturday.

My starting LC for 2014 and Challenge

image-2666123422.jpg

djkforeal

I have been wearing wigs for a few years now and I have not had any problems with my edges due to wearing wigs. If you keep your edges moisturized and tamed you should not have any issues especially if you are not using any adhesives to apply your wig. I like to stick to natural products for my edges and products that don't build up since I am only washing my hair every 2-4 weeks since it is braided under my wig.
I also use the elastic band method for keeping my wig in place even in windy conditions and working out, for extra security I use a couple of bobby pins at the nape to keep it down in the back cause the elastic band method tends to leave it gaping at the nape (at least from the way I have been doing it)
Hope that helps.

gabulldawg

I have been wearing wigs for a few years now and I have not had any problems with my edges due to wearing wigs. If you keep your edges moisturized and tamed you should not have any issues especially if you are not using any adhesives to apply your wig. I like to stick to natural products for my edges and products that don't build up since I am only washing my hair every 2-4 weeks since it is braided under my wig.
I also use the elastic band method for keeping my wig in place even in windy conditions and working out, for extra security I use a couple of bobby pins at the nape to keep it down in the back cause the elastic band method tends to leave it gaping at the nape (at least from the way I have been doing it)
Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the advice! I have a pixie now, so I can't braid down my hair or anything. I just throw on a wig cap and go on about my business. I do keep my hair moisturized underneath (spray it with a conditioner/water mix) and apply oil/grease around my edges before I put the cap on. I also spray the wig cap on the inside with sheen spray (don't know if that even makes sense :lol:). I'm hoping that all will prevent any breakage. I do leave a tiny bit of my hairline out in the front to cover up the edge of the wig (if that makes sense). I use some edge control on that part to slick it back. I also don't use combs. I use two bobby pins behind each ear and I've never had issues with my wig coming off. I guess I'm on the right track. Thanks again djkforeal.

SunnyDelight

I'm in .... at least until Spring.

I have my hair in 7 big braids which I moisturize daily. As for my edges, I spray with water based mixture and apply cream daily. So far no issues but I will be watching them closely for thinning.

I've fully transitioned to natural hair but wearing wigs is just so much easier for me than the constant manipulation. Funny how I want my real hair to grow but love short wigs .... I have Molly, Mommy and Belinda in rotation.