WIG CHALLENGE 2014

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I didn't feel like getting braids put in but I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to braid my fine hair underneath my wigs! This is an issue with me and not sure if I should try individuals or twists underneath so I'm not causing breakage or tons of splits. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

TheNDofUO

I'm in I've been wigging 9 months a year so far and have experience the fastest growth of my life. 0.5 a moth despite not being the fastest grower

ThatJerseyGirl

ThatJerseyGirl, I checked yelp and they said it was closed. I'd never heard of them before. Were they good?

Closed???? *clutchin my pearls in horror and disgust!!!!

Hell yeah they were good. Im going to call tomorrow. Not saying that I don't believe you, but they were just opened this summer.

I will let you know my findings.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm in. I've been alternating between wigs and twists over the last year and plan on continuing in 2014

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
[USER=330401]HairPleezeGrow[/USER];19448139 said:
I didn't feel like getting braids put in but I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to braid my fine hair underneath my wigs! This is an issue with me and not sure if I should try individuals or twists underneath so I'm not causing breakage or tons of splits. Any advice?

I struggle with this too. I was doing flat twists straight back, but that started to cause breakage in my crown. I tried individuals and twists and that seemed to work better, but it was more bulky. Right now, I'm trying a cornrow on each side. It is too early to tell if that is working.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I struggle with this too. I was doing flat twists straight back, but that started to cause breakage in my crown. I tried individuals and twists and that seemed to work better, but it was more bulky. Right now, I'm trying a cornrow on each side. It is too early to tell if that is working.

Thanks! I may try individuals in the back and cornrows going to the sides in the front...just so it's not bulky.

CurliDiva

HairPleezeGrow,

When I'm felling super lazy - I just gather my hair into two low ponytails and wrap the ends around my head. It stays flat enough. I'm deep conditioning under my wig (at work) as am I'm typing this! LOL

ojemba

I'm in, been in a cornrows beehive for almost 8 weeks while wearing my homemade wigs. Ill come back with LC when I take beehive out in 3 weeks.

PuddingPop

I'm in. Am I the only Baldie joining the challenge? Everyone else seems to be starting with some hair. I just BC'd and I only have about 1/2 inch. I plan to wear wigs until it grows out some.

xu93texas

I'm in. Am I the only Baldie joining the challenge? Everyone else seems to be starting with some hair. I just BC'd and I only have about 1/2 inch. I plan to wear wigs until it grows out some.

Lol, no you're not. I'm rocking a pixie cut.

quirkydimples

I'm going to dye my synthetic wig this weekend. I thought I liked the color, and I do, just not for everyday. I'm going to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby tomorrow to buy fabric dye or acrylic ink. Wish me luck!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm going to dye my synthetic wig this weekend. I thought I liked the color, and I do, just not for everyday. I'm going to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby tomorrow to buy fabric dye or acrylic ink. Wish me luck!

Let us know how it turns out

trclemons

I wore my first official wig today and got so many compliments. It was the Outre Shorty. This wig thing is exciting and addictive. I have 12 wigs that I will rotate every 2 weeks. I've already prepped my co-workers that we will have guest employees all year and this week's guest employee is named Ms. Shorty. I am really looking forward to this year of wigging our way to longer, stronger hair.

Attachments

• 20140102_073204.jpg
    20140102_073204.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 245

NGraceO

I do eight to ten individual braids/ plaits ( with my own hair lol) all over that I leave in after my shampoo/condition process each week. Cornrows would be the death of my poor hair lol. For flatness, I simply hair pin my hair down almost in a cross wrap position. As long as my plaits are taut at the root and down the braid, I have no issue with them laying really flat once pinned down.

NGraceO

Healthb4Length

I'm planning on wigging it this week, wash/dc then flat twists and wig it up. I'm on the hunt for some half wigs too because I'm part of a heat challenge and a half wig would be perfect for this.

trclemons

Hey Ladies,

I cut the lace down on my current wig, but the remaining lace is too rough on the front of my head. Is there anything I can do to soften it up?

I figured out the problem. The wig was too loose and once I tightened up the bands so it couldn't move, I didn't have any more problems.

Last edited:

quirkydimples

So...RIT dye did not work and now I'm concerned about feeling comfortable with the color. I think I may have to wear my hair this week to work and then wig it when my 1B version comes in.

The photo of me in the pink shirt is the original and the other is after I colored it. -_-

Attachments

• image-3827461878.jpg
    image-3827461878.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 187
  • image-3811924251.jpg
    image-3811924251.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 186
  • image-335212185.jpg
    image-335212185.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 174

quirkydimples

Tchanelle

Wearing it at work. I'm starting a new, conservative job and looking to be upwardly mobile. It's a fun color, but I didn't expect it to be so...bright.

quirkydimples

Tchanelle I used dark brown dye. My husband just walked in the door with black. I'll give it a go and if that doesn't work, I'll just wait until my 1B arrives.

Update: Fail.

Last edited:

JLOP09

Attachments

• image-1767478841.jpg
    image-1767478841.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

gabulldawg

I am playing with the idea of wigging it again. I used to wear wigs a lot and then stopped wearing them for whatever reasons. But now that I'm getting serious about my fitness I think I need to start wigging it again. I sweat A LOT when I workout and it's impossible for me to keep my hair looking fly. I refuse to give up on working out and being fit, so may need to look into a wig. I'm going to see if I can find anything I like over the next few days and report back. :lol:

I'd love more ideas! I'm not sure if I want to go with something short or something long. I was partial to long hair back in the day. :lol:

faithVA

I think I want to hang out with you ladies. I wore wigs in 2009 but stopped when I started wearing kinky twists. I have bought several over the years but none that I really liked. I really like short curly wigs that are shorter than chin length and that is hard to find where I am. I bought a few online but they were a mess. And I have not gotten good at modifying wigs.

I did buy Vanessa's Amerie wig this weekend. She is a short curly wig which is about my natural length. I took a brush and frizzed her out so she looks like my natural hair. I wore her to work for the first time and so far so good. It is the men that always comment on my hair and so far they like it.

I have my girl tashboog shaping my Fingercomber Angled Bob. I am hoping to put that in rotation. And I will probably go wig shopping again this weekend to find a backup.

I will try to wig it for the first quarter.

I will take pictures tonight.

onesoulsista

Has anybody ever had a wig made from Real Fly Honey Wigs or another wig company. How was the quality? My wig making skills arent that great

babyt87

I want in please! i was wig gin' consistently in 2012 and got great growth. then i decided i didn't need them in 2013 and basically didn't retain much, so I'm going back to what works. I'll be starting on the weekends so pics to follow soon :)

Aggie

My hair is in some serious slow growth state (from neglect, of course) and I think getting back to my wigs will help it's growth along. I'm so in this challenge. I need it right now too. I'll be wearing one of my half wigs tomorrow and I need to look for 2 really nice whole wigs to alternate with the half ones.