Relaxed Hair Thread

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Re: Relaxed Hair THREAD!!

Yay we are often forgotten.

I have a super keep it simple regimen: Moisture morning and night with glycerin based product and oil, braid at night in 2 plaits or just bun & tie down with a scarf, wash/condition/detangle every weekend.

If my hair is feeling dry and I have alot of product already in my hair, I will run water through my hair, put in my bun or do a braidout if I decide to detangle.

I started doing this last week, I also add aloe vera juice to my spritz bottle as well.

Solitude

Miss Solitude... any self-trimming tips? I'm thinking about giving it a try.

I have a creaclip that I've tried, but I find that it works better if I just take small sections of my hair and look in the mirror and clip it, pulling my hair straight down and taunt. I only trim freshly relaxed & flat-ironed hair with new cutting scissors. I trim about a half an inch - maybe more in sections that grow faster & the layers that frame my face.

For the back, I pull my it to the front in sections and cut straight across. For my slightly shorter layers, I dust the scraggly ends sections by section.

Before I was comfortable self-trimming, I had started going to SuperCuts. They did exactly what I told them too and it was pretty cheap. I just washed and flat-ironed my own hair before I went.

cia_garces

I know we're kind of talkin' about reggies, but since all the relaxed heads are in one place I have a question for everybody.

How do you guys style your hair the week after a relaxer when it's thin and limp? My hair was really dry and, I fear, damaged after my trip to the salon, so all I really wanna do is protective style and do hairstyles with low manipulation, but my hair is so thin right now. If I wanted to wear my hair down and straight I would love it, but I don't. I tried a braidout last night, but that was a big flop. My braidouts look SOOOOO much better a month or two after a relaxer.

So what tips do you guys have?

Solitude

I know we're kind of talkin' about reggies, but since all the relaxed heads are in one place I have a question for everybody.

How do you guys style your hair the week after a relaxer when it's thin and limp? My hair was really dry and, I fear, damaged after my trip to the salon, so all I really wanna do is protective style and do hairstyles with low manipulation, but my hair is so thin right now. If I wanted to wear my hair down and straight I would love it, but I don't. I tried a braidout last night, but that was a big flop. My braidouts look SOOOOO much better a month or two after a relaxer.

So what tips do you guys have?

I wear my hair straight-straight for about a week, but after that I will rollerset to get more volume. My braidouts look better after about 3 weeks and I go back to them. I also fluff my braidouts out a bit to make them look fuller until I get more new growth.

Hey, ladies - one of my favorite relaxed youtubers, Frogan just relaxed her hair after a 15-month stretch! It looks so healthy. YouTube - Relaxed!!- 15 Month Stretch Ended

You can skip to minute 16 if you just want to see her straight hair.

amwcah

Relaxed head here!

Keeping it real simple for the winter. Wash and deep condition or steam 1-2x per week. Airdry, moisturize, and plait into 8-10 braids. Wear hats or wigs. Moisturize plaits with water and seal with castor oil. Relax every 3-4 months.

theLovelyStyle

Relaxed head over here!

I am currently APL 4a/b waiting for BSL and thicker hair!!

Currently I Shampoo 1x week w/ ORS Creamy Aloe or HE LTR
Cowash whenever my hair feels a little dry 1-3x week with HE HH, HE LTR
Deep Condition on wash days w/ Elasta QP DPR-11 or ORS Replenishing Conditioner
I Black Tea Rinse every time I wash/cowash
Roux PC every time I wash, Cowash for my ends
I airdry and finger detangle with Mane n Tail Detangler
My leave-ins are NTM Silk Touch or ORS Olive Oil
Sealing Oils are Hot 6, Castor Oil
Emu Oil/Castor Oil on scalp every wash/cowash day
Moisturize when I need to w/ NTM, HE, ORS Creamy Olive Oil Moisturizer, Elasta QP mango Butter, Wave Nouvea/Scurl(Summer time), or a cheapy conditioner

I used to rollerset alot, but now Im bunning and will rollerset overnight for special events. And flat iron 1x month for length checks

Vitamins:
Multivitamin, Garlic, and Fish Oil

Carisa

Relaxed 4a or 4b or both (still not completely sure)

What are you doing products, regimen, vitamins, etc?

>Braids (cornrows or plaits)
>Wigs over my braids (no sew ins or microbraids though)
>Deep condition 1-2 times a month (my staples- neutrogena triple moisture, nexxus, hydrasilk)
>Baggy ends while hair is in braids about 1-2x a week
>Co-washing about 1-2x a week with V05 mostly and many others
>Perm every 3-4 months (with designers touch, vitale, elasta qp)
>Protein treatment every 3 months (i use aphogee 2 step)
>Vitamins (natures bounty HSN vits, msm, grapeseed extract,glucosamine daily)
>Use leave in conditioners such as infusium 23 when I remember (which is usually about 3 or 4 times a week)
>Use coconut oil and olive oil, shea butter (when bagging, sealing or deep conditioning)
> Miconazole nitrate 2% and shea butter about 1-2x a week
>Use silk pillowcases
>No trimming, brushing, hair coloring, heat (Im in hair bootcamp until summer)
>Also no usage of products such as grease, gel, spritz

My mix- olive and coconut oil, JBCO, msm sulfur powder, rosemary and peppermint oil to use on my braids about 2 times a week.

AlliCat

Relaxed BSL Here :grin:

My 2011 Hair Regimen

Pre-poo: [Weekly] I apply coconut oil to dry hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes with heat. This step doubles as a hot oil treatment

Shampoo: [Weekly] Lather once and concentrate on scalp.

Condition: [Weekly] After shampooing I have 2 options:
(1) Deep condition for one hour with heating cap (either use a moisturizing or light protein deep conditioner, depending on what my hair needs).

(2) If I don't feel like DCing, I will do a quick protein treatment in the shower instead.

Co-wash: [1x/week]

Leave-in Conditioner: [2x/week] I spritz this on wash days only

Moisturize and Seal: [Daily]

Other Healthy Hair Practices
- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle/style
- Sleep with a satin scarf + silk pillowcase
- Air dry most of the time
- Protective style most of the time
- Halfwigs are my BFF
- Clarify/chelate monthly
- Flat iron for length checks only
- Stretch relaxers 3-4 months

When I'm in cornrows, my regimen is a little different. I shampoo and quickly condition whenever it's really itchy. No deep conditioning. No moisturizer, just spray my leave-in daily. Oil ends and scalp with JBCO a couple times a week. My hair retains the most length and softness with this braids regimen. I leave them in for 2 weeks.

OhmyKimB

Hey hey! I'm actually revamping my reggie as I'm going to be getting streaks put into my hair. I won't be soley depending on my stylist this year, I had a difficult year, but she is really good and my hair grew a lot.(previous to last year I didn't)

I have bsl layered hair, type 3c. I do relax every 8-9 weeks and turn when needed. I relax often b/c my hair sheds out like I'm going bald longer then 8 weeks and I kept my hair up and moisturizes so I have little splits and breakage. Soon I'll start keeping track of things again with my tumblr

I also started thinking about staying this length....seems to work for me.

ETA: Sorry anyone who read this last night, I typed this on my phone....I really need to stop doing that.:nono:

Last edited:

cia_garces

I wear my hair straight-straight for about a week, but after that I will rollerset to get more volume. My braidouts look better after about 3 weeks and I go back to them. I also fluff my braidouts out a bit to make them look fuller until I get more new growth.

Hey, ladies - one of my favorite relaxed youtubers, Frogan just relaxed her hair after a 15-month stretch! It looks so healthy. YouTube - Relaxed!!- 15 Month Stretch Ended

You can skip to minute 16 if you just want to see her straight hair.

Thanks for the tips and the link!!!!

WorkInProgress88

relaxed 4a/b checking in

i'll be back with my regimen/product BUT i did deep condition tonight with AOHSR and detangled with my Tangle Teezer -- i swear its ever so gentle on my hair, cuts down on detangling time, and leaves my hair detangled all week which makes the next wash easier.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations

Texlaxed and loving it, I'm more heavily texlaxed so my hair is more wavy than curly. I am 3c/4a, with some 4b. Full APL.

Regimen:

Shampoo/Cleanse every 7 days
Deep condition 1x weekly
Reconstructor 1 week pre and 2 weeks post relaxer
Moisturize 1x daily
Relaxer every 12 weeks

Very simple and effective.

Solitude

Thanks for the tips and the link!!!!

no problem. I'll have to look for the link to this youtube vid where a girl trims her hair almost just like I do....there's so many youtube vids that I'll have to search for it.

shaulanaw

Hello everyone! Relaxed head here! I am 4a-bcdefg. LOL I love my hair texture. Nice and thick.

My Regimen is really simple. I leave my hair alone. I bun 80% of the time, and every blue moon, (I mean that literally) I will use heat. I co-wash maybe 3 times a week and I usually will do a braid out for something a little more "stylish".

I am also incorporating my God sent Shikakai, Amla, Neem, and Brahmi back into my reggie. I strayed away and my hair is taking a serious beating behind it. I use moisture and proteins interchangably. I also seal with oil. My hair is wet 90% of the time in a bun though for the most part.

I've also started using Argon oils, conditioners etc....(verdict still out).

Currently I am shoulder length again....(sighs) I had a MAJOR set back from not properly protecting my ends. It's just hair, I'll hit APL again by summer.
HHG everyone.:grin:

Curlybeauty

Relaxed head checking in...

I wash 1x a week
DC 1x a week
and Roller set 1x a week.

I'm taking nioxin vitamins right now..

merilusmims

I am relaxed 4b... At last check (End of november) Im full APL Goal is to be MBL
Havent seen my hair since then and plan to relax in march at 16-17 weeks

I relax every 12-16. I use braids/twist towards the end of my stretch so sometimes it goes longer

I DC every week even in braids but for that every 2weeks. Cowash when bunnin every other day. Use heat Only after relaxer

Vitamins:Biotin,Spirulina, Horsetail( every few mths)

My Staples...
-Aphogee
-Wheat germ Oil
-HELOTR
-Salerm
-Olive oil
HHG

Curlybeauty

I've been rocking this air dryed bun for the past few days, because I didn't feel like setting it. But I don't like how my ends feel or look. In my mind rough/jagged= in need of a trim. BUT I just got one smh

Is there a trick to keeping the ends smooth?

sunnieb

I've been rocking this air dryed bun for the past few days, because I didn't feel like setting it. But I don't like how my ends feel or look. In my mind rough/jagged= in need of a trim. BUT I just got one smh

Is there a trick to keeping the ends smooth?

If you just got a trim, no need to go get another one just yet. Have you tried ponytail baggying at night? I usually baggy my whole head, and my ends are smooth. Here's the thread where the ladies explain how they baggy.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=481734&highlight=best+baggy+challenge

Last edited:

Curlybeauty

I think I may implement a version of the baggy method.

In a spray bottle I will have some mane and tail conditioner, some water, and some oil that I want to get ride of and wet my ponytail down everyday with it before I do my bun. As I pull pieces to pin down I will seal it with some EVCO.

I just don't want to have any mushy hair that will be break :nono:

Maybe I will toss some CHI keratin spray in there too...

bigbrowneyez

Relaxed MBL 4a/b hair! My regimen is pretty simple. In the summer/spring I do a lot more co-washing because I can airdry in a bun or braids. In the winter i tend to wash once a week. I get a relaxer on average at 11 weeks. I might be stretching longer this time tho (maybe 4-6mths). I'm currently at 9 weeks. Stretching has seemed to thicken up my hair so i like the results of it, though it definitely is work! I usually only blow dry and flat iron for events or a few weeks after a fresh relaxer. Other than that, its buns and pin-ups. During this next stretch tho, i've found bantu knots to be a lasting style :-D

PDub

I'm relaxed 4B. I will be full APL (finally!!) when I relax in April 2011.

My regimen is very simple and only changes slightly depending on where I am in my stretch:
-I wash and deep condition twice per week
-Moisturize/Seal daily
-Baggy overnight at least 3 times per week
-Protein treatment once per month
-Bun religiously
-Limited heat usage
-Relax every 4 to 6 months

My products:
-Hair One Tea Tree
-Nexxus Humectress
-Nexxus Keraphix
-Nexxus Emergencee
-Redken Extreme Anti Snap
-S Curl Moisturizer
-Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil
-Relax with Phyto II

I had been stretching my relaxers every 6 months but my hair has gotten so thick (which is good) that I can no longer handle it myself. I self relax. I am currently 15 weeks post and it is so thick that I am relaxing this weekend. There's too much breakage at this point. My goal is to be BSL by the end of the year, so I'm keeping my regimen and products consistent and simple.

ETA: I've been baggying overnight for a few days and now I have my breakage under control (I hope!). So I'm not going to relax this weekend. I'm going to continue stretching. Hopefully I can make it until April 29th!!

Last edited:

baglady215

I just relaxed today. I was 14 weeks post, I think. I used Mizani BB Super. I left it on for 15 mins (half and half method) and I'm not bone straight. I would say 85-90% straight. This is my first time using MBB. I like it, but I'm not blown away. I'll probably go back to ORS Lye or Silk Elements Lye when I finish the tub.

ellehair

Relaxed head here!!!

Currently APL
I cowash about 3 times a week alternating m&t the condish, VO5 moisture milks, Aussie moist
DC 2x per week with motions moisture plus, keracare humecto, silicone mix, AO GBP or HSR

Reconstruct with Aphogee 2 min every week - gonna start every 2 weeks to see how my hair reacts, I think I may need more moisture

wash every 2 weeks or so with CON sunflower and coconut
Clarify as needed

Relax 8-10 weeks with S&B Botanicals regular

Wig or bun 100% - hide ur hair challenger:)

Moisturize and seal 2x per day with ntm, scurl, wn or my spray mix of giovanni direct EVOO and a little condish- my hair loves this mix - seal with argan or EVOO or EVCO

Keep them coming ladies and lets be consistant with the progress! I love to hear about healthy relaxed heads!:grin::grin:

lilpooky

Hey guys! I've been looking for this thread!

I'm currently NL. My hair type is 4A.
I relax every 8-12 weeks.
I wash, DC, and ACV rinse 1X a week
Moisturize daily
Protein treatment whenever needed.

My hair is currently in a sew-in. I hope to be SL by this Spring.

Last edited:

ellehair

I'm relaxed 4B. I will be relaxing this weekend and I will be APL (finally!!).

My regimen is very simple:
-I wash and deep condition twice per week
-Protein treatment once per month
-Bun religiously
-Limited heat usage
-Relax every 4 months (previously every 6 months)

My products:
-Hair One Tea Tree
-Nexxus Humectress
-Nexxus Keraphix
-Nexxus Emergencee
-Redken Extreme Anti Snap
-Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil
-Relax with Phyto II

I had been stretching my relaxers every 6 months but my hair has gotten so thick (which is good) that I can no longer handle it myself. I self relax. I am currently 15 weeks post and it is so thick that I am relaxing this weekend. There's too much breakage at this point. My goal is to be BSL by the end of the year, so I'm keeping my regimen and products consistent and simple.

I love your hairs thickness:lick:! i can only dream!!