WIG CHALLENGE 2014

Ann0804

I'm glad it's wig season again. I'm going through my wigs to give some to family and friends, as well as, purchasing some new styles.

It's nice not having to do all that daily styling and upkeep. Now I can do every other day co washes.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I am FINALLY wearing my wig at work and have gotten so many compliments. "They" stay so amazed by our hair.

Evolving78

I'm ordering my wig this weekend! She is going to look so good on me! I love short pixie wigs on me. I need my flat iron for Molly. I don't feel like spending any money to get another one. I let my mom borrow mine and it's broken. She doesn't wrap cords around correctly so yeah... I gotta figure out how to keep my ends from drying out when my hair is braided? It's fine when twisted.

divachyk

shortdub78, thank you. Yes! Took maybe like 5 mins. I did the bun on the wig last night. This morning, I moisturized my hair, cross wrapped and pinned my hair, threw on wig cap and wig, pinned that, put on a headband to hide the wig band, done! It was quicker than doing my own hair.

BklynHeart

Do any of you put concealer or makeup on the part to make it look more natural? I ordered a wig that has a 'banana part' but the scalp part is still a bit dense. I don't know if I should do the makeup trick or take a tweezer and tweeze some of the hair out.

Evolving78

Do any of you put concealer or makeup on the part to make it look more natural? I ordered a wig that has a 'banana part' but the scalp part is still a bit dense. I don't know if I should do the makeup trick or take a tweezer and tweeze some of the hair out.
I did the concealer thing and everyone thought it was my hair.

mshoneyfly

I have concealer on the one Im wearing today. Its stays on there for days. Last week I extended it down to the edge of my own scalp but IDC today.

image-1145705280.jpg

I think it still looks good enough.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

divachyk

After a million questions from coworkers, I admitted I'm wearing a wig. They were shocked and in disbelief but I feel so much better getting that off my chest. Now we can all move about our day and be great and the attention is no longer on my hair.

eta: photo

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1414513151698.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1414513151698.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

divachyk

What's the advantage to doing braids underneath the wig? I braided my hair tonight (in celie plaits because I can't conrow) but I'm unsure what benefit there is to doing this over having my hair cross wrapped underneath. Oh and, I don't have bumpy looking wigs with cross wrapped hair.

NGraceO EnExitStageLeft and other ladies...your thoughts?

ETA: mshoneyfly, how do you like the Italian Yaki wig

Last edited:

NGraceO

What's the advantage to doing braids underneath the wig? I braided my hair tonight (in celie plaits because I can't conrow) but I'm unsure what benefit there is to doing this over having my hair cross wrapped underneath. Oh and, I don't have bumpy looking wigs with cross wrapped hair. NGraceO EnExitStageLeft and other ladies...your thoughts? ETA: mshoneyfly, how do you like the Italian Yaki wig

I do plaits under my wig simply because it fits in seamlessly with my low manipulation regimen. I do everything in those plaits. I wash in plaits, I DC in plaits, and leave my plaits in (after moisturizing/sealing) until the next wash, under my wigs.

That's the only reason, lol.

ETA: I did cornrows to try something new and after a few weeks realized I was losing both time and hair ( breakage). I headed straight for my plaits.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

I do plaits under my wig simply because it fits in seamlessly with my low manipulation regimen. I do everything in those plaits. I wash in plaits, I DC in plaits, and leave my plaits in (after moisturizing/sealing) until the next wash, under my wigs.

That's the only reason, lol.

ETA: I did cornrows to try something new and after a few weeks realized I was losing both time and hair ( breakage). I headed straight for my plaits.
divachyk
EXACTLY!The bolded

When I wig I literally do not comb my hair for 3 weeks and believe it or not my braid takedown is ridiculously easy and so is detangling.

NGraceO

How were you receiving breakage from cornrolls? I wear them and recieve little to no breakage at all. Then again I don't remove them for weeks at a time. I literally wash/dc my cornrolls every 2 weeks lol.

Renewed1

After a million questions from coworkers, I admitted I'm wearing a wig. They were shocked and in disbelief but I feel so much better getting that off my chest. Now we can all move about our day and be great and the attention is no longer on my hair.

eta: photo

Girl I hate when they dig deep like that. Usually yet folks know when it's a wig/weave.

They ask me about my hair I'll ask them about theirs r their clothes. I hate when they do that.

Just venting ignore me.....lol

NGraceO

divachyk EXACTLY!The bolded When I wig I literally do not comb my hair for 3 weeks and believe it or not my braid takedown is ridiculously easy and so is detangling. NGraceO How were you receiving breakage from cornrolls? I wear them and recieve little to no breakage at all. Then again I don't remove them for weeks at a time. I literally wash/dc my cornrolls every 2 weeks lol.

The added manipulation just didn't work for me, I guess.

I just noticed that during the removal/ detangling process that preceded a wash, I was shedding more hair when I cornrowed compared to when I stuck to plaits.

divachyk

Trust and believe I feel you Renewed1. I had no intentions owning up to it was a wig but after they kept asking random questions I was like, "please stop, this is a wig." I was relieved after telling them because I kinda felt like I was walking on egg shells trying to avoid discussions about my hair. After telling them, I felt comfortable because the cat was out of the bag.

Evolving78

I need to find a good spray NGraceO. All of mine are creamy for the most part.
Shea moisture shine and hold spray! Please go and get it! It's part of my holy grail! Leaves my hair so soft and shiny! Great for bunning, moisturizing new growth, air drying, refreshing twists and braids, etc..

Last edited:

divachyk

I just pulled out Annabelle's Perfect Blends and my hair feels amazing NGraceO. Thanks for the reminder how much sprays rock. I now need to get me a better wig cap and I'll be set. So tell me, what's the art to washing in braids without the hair tangling? My shed hair seems to tangle and coil around the line of demarcation.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I just pulled out Annabelle's Perfect Blends and my hair feels amazing NGraceO. Thanks for the reminder how much sprays rock. I now need to get me a better wig cap and I'll be set. So tell me, what the art to washing in braids without the hair tangling? My shed hair seems tangle and coil around the line of demarcation.
oh you have something! Lol

mshoneyfly

shortdub78, mshoneyfly, thanks! one more question, did you use the concealer stick with a thin brush to apply? I want to make sure I nail this thing. :grin:

BklynHeart
The concealer I have has a fairly small brush but its not angled. I think thats what I really need to make a nice fine line. I actually have one but I use it with acetone to clean the polish off my cuticles. It says its a concealer brush (for makeup). Gonna pick up another one from target this weekend.

You can do it!! Its surprisingly easy. :)

I LOVE this HHJ!!