all about weaves

beana3

First let me thank beverly for putting the boards back up (I think im addicted!). Now i have a question for all those who have worn a weave, wear a weave, or just know how to take care of them.
Recently this has been an option for myhair since i've been getting more assignments. Its pure hell and i cant take it anymore. I wantedto know about any GOOD places in NYC where i could get my weave done, I want a realistic look, and the glue in kindis NOT what im looking for.
Im just interested in hearing about how you all have taken care of your weaves without neglecting and damaging the hair underneath. How did you wash and condition, style and how often you got them done? What would be a typical week with the weave. Would you suggest it to anyone as a good way to "rest" the hair? How does this affect the hair underneath? How did you let your scalp breathe?
Since my hair already has a good length (but yes i have a huge damaged spot) I dont really want to add more than an additional two inches. I dont want my tracks to be seen (i hate when i can tell a woman has a weave) and i want to make sure that this is the right thing for my hair. my dermatologist appointment is scheduled in two weeks, i'll run this by him to make sure. I appreciate all responses

Laginappe

Delurking to offer my experiences with extensions.

Hi, I'm currently wearing an extension called Hairlocs. I've been wearing them for a year now and I love them. Its a human hair, strand by strand method that uses no glues or braiding or heat or chemicals. I've been extremely pleased since wearing them. I've been able to take very good care of my own hair while wearing them and have even gained a few inches of my own due to the new hair care regime I had to adopt. I was so glad I found this method because, like you, the glue in method was out of the question. I have fine relaxed hair and I knew it wouldn't stand up to the rigors of the glues or chemicals a lot of the methods use (like Fusion or Great Lengths). I've never even worn braids because I was afraid of the stress on my hair. I tried a sew in weave once, and hated it because it didn't move or feel like real hair. I hated feeling the tracks when I touched my head. I actually took the class to learn the method because I wanted to be sure about it and what it "might" do to my head. I do know that they use this method to treat people with hair loss/damage and alopecia.

As far as taking care of them - it was a learning curve for me because I had a very BAD hair care regime before going with the extensions. I didn't realize how bad I'd been to my head until this past year. No wonder I always had short hair. I've since learned more and more about proper hair care and that's made having the extensions easier as well as benefited my own hair growth. Because they're human hair extensions, I take care of them in basically the same way as my own hair. I had to re-learn everything - even down to the proper way to wash and care for wet hair. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any real difference or anything really special I have to do to maintain the extensions. I tie/wrap my hair up at night. I wash at least twice a week - although right now its more because I'm wearing it curly and doing conditioning washes every other day. Even the BSM treatment worked extremely well for both. In the beginning I wore it flat-ironed straight, but now I'm on a no-heat campaign. I've been doing roller sets and love the results.

Right now I'm concentrating on maintaining what I have while I further nail down the best hair care regime for myself. My ultimate goal is to encourage my own hair growth to the point where I won't need the extensions anymore. I'm confident that with the tips I've learned here on these boards as well as other places I'll be able to do it.

Hope this helps.

beana3

Re: Delurking to offer my experiences with extensions.

thanks for the info.. i'll do some research on it
oh and how much was it? .. it seems kinda expensive.

henrilou

Ok.Weaves are something I know something about. I had been wearing a perm since the 8th grade...My hair generally stayed a bit past my ears(this might get long...)Anyway, in 1997 I went to a stylist who said that "my perm had worn out, and she was going to run it through". Hello. I was stupid and said, "ok whatever." Because I never had so called "length" I was in the mind set of "just get my sh$t straight." She broke me off so bad. Honestly within 3 weeks my hair was about 1/2-1 inch in the back and at the crown.Well I HAD to weave. And I stayed in them for 3 years. First. Get the sew-in. I know, I know. You don't like them, they are lumpy. Well tell your braider to braid the rows smaller and they won't be lumpy. Also my stylist would use synthetic hair in the cornrows to strengthen them. And she would use the 'ear-to-ear' pattern to keep them natural. Also once they're in, I wouldn't let her cut them, or the end look kind of 'wiggy'. I would grease (yep, grease) my scalp regularly and wash once/a month. I would wrap every night (actually the same regime I use now) My hair is now bra-strap length. And it's never been this long-ever. I think it's I stopped perming (my hair is too weak to thrive with that) and the weave kept me out of it so it COULD grow.

henrilou

Oh sorry. A typical week with the weave was basically wrapping every night and in the morning smoothing down with a LIGHT oil just the real hair. (you DO NOT want a greasy weave.) But. your real hair will blend better if it's just a little dirty/ has oil in it. Because the fake hair is so much shinier than clean real hair. So to blend you have to lightly oil the real stuff. As far as my scalp breathing, well I didn't know it needed air. My hair still grew alot. When I wear a weave I am a GREASE QUEEN, because I think hair grows better that way.

Laginappe

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to post the website for the company. It's Hairlocs. They have a list of stylists there that have been certified for this process.

As far as the expense - yes it can get up there in numbers. It depends on who you go to. Different stylists charge different amounts. And it also depends on how much you're having done. Some people only get a small amount of strands put in - to maybe add length in the back, or add fullness. In those cases they'll usually charge by the strand - anywhere from $3 to $10. A full head costs more. You'll have to call around. I do know there are a few people in New York who're doing this process, but there are more on the west coast because the company is based in LA/Hollywood.

For me this has been my one big splurge on myself. I tried a sew in weave and it wasn't for me. I wanted more versatility for styles - I can wear it up in a ponytail or a bun or whatever. And I didn't want to ever worry about my tracks showing. I've seen too many women caught the wrong way by a quick breeze. I like the way this hair moves too, in the wind and when I'm just walking around. It moves like natural hair. And I like being able to run my fingers through my hair and feel scalp not tracks. I couldn't stand that when I tried the sew in.

I do agree that the sew in weaves are probably better for encouraging faster growth since your hair is "up and away". But, like I said before, I'm seeing a steady growth pace so I'm happy. I believe its because my hair is blended in with the extensions, my hair and scalp get all of the benefits of the conditioning etc that I'm doing.

As far as the hair texture - with this process, they custom match the texture to your own hair. There's none of the shiny difference between your hair and the extensions. One thing I learned about my hair is that its not shiny - it has a sheen, but its not shiny. And now I can see the same difference in other women who are wearing weaves and extensions with the shiny hair. It looks ok, but it would look even better if the match was just a bit closer to their own texture. Whichever way you decide to go just make sure you get the best possible hair - try looking for a good texture AND color match. Its the combo of both that gives the best results.

Hope this helps.

beana3

not 2 be all up in your business but.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif how much would you generally spend on your own hair (did you get some sections put in or a full head)....
I actually like what i'm hearing of the hairlocs... I would only get the back section of my hair done with this method.. but i guess i could always get a track put back there also and my hair would rest in the cornrows of that section. i just hate the difference in texture b/w what i see of weaves and my real hair.
i must be truthful with you, i'm not willing to spend more than $300 max....

Laginappe

That’s ok,

I got a full head done – which for me is about 150 (roughly) strands. I spent around $600 for mine, not including the cost of the class. But I took the class because I’m neurotic and I was wary of trying this new method without learning everything I could about it. I got somewhat of a deal because a classmate did mine and I did hers. All I really had to pay for was the hair. I know some stylists can really get up there cost-wise. Hairlocs is gaining popularity in Hollywood right now so they can afford to charge certain clients more.

I totally understand about setting limits on your spending. Sometimes I get carried away myself (alot!) I’m a fully diagnosed product junkie. But at the same time I don’t mind spending the money if I’m guaranteed to get the results I want. My priority was to have the most realistic hair possible. The other really nice thing about this method is that the hair is re-usable. In the year since I’ve worn them I’ve only done 1 complete “redo” of all of the hair. The longevity was another selling point for me.

I’d say it wouldn’t hurt to call a few stylists and talk to them about the extensions. Most of them offer free consultations (if they don’t then steer clear). Tell them what you’re looking for and see what they’d charge. Like I said, some of them can be expensive, but others may not be. Prices are set by the individual stylist.

Oh, one more thing. They can also use this same method to attach custom wefts too. Its nice because you get the weft, without the “bulk” of the tracks. Makes for a faster application and sometimes its cheaper too. Just another option.

Whichever way you go you can still get good results with the sew in. Its just a matter of choosing the right hair. There’s got to be some great hair places out there – I just don’t know where – I’m not familiar with the east coast. Take someone you trust, who has a good eye and really match carefully. Think texture first and color second. If the hair is too straight – its just not going to look right. Even relaxed hair has an underlying texture to it that makes the light reflect off of it differently than other types of hair. Its that light reflection / texture difference that makes or breaks a good weave or extension job. At least that’s what I think. I’m not an expert by any means. I just know what I notice when I’m out and about. Here in LA, the faux-ponytails are popular. And they look nice for the most part. But lots of the ones I see choose a perfect color match, but forget about the texture match. So their own hair may be relaxed and pulled up into the ponytail nice and smooth – but it doesn’t come close to matching what’s flowing out of the tail portion of the ponytail. (Did that make sense?)

Good luck!!

Ebony

hi. i've been sporting weaves almost every summer for the past 4-5 years. usually, the summers i can't stand dealing with my hair because i travel so much more during that time and can't be bothered. some members have seen my pics as they used to be in my signature and i will re-post them so you can see. the maintenance is easy. it looks very real as i cannot stand a cheap looking weave. i always get stares...i mean, to the point where it's actually rude and i have to stare back in order for "chic" to realize..lol. i also love that the curly hair that i buy is really close to my own curly hair type. i purchase it Adorable Hair in manhattan. the same woman has put in the weaves for me and my sister for all this time. she is in brooklyn off of flatbush. she charges about $225, and you get it tightened in six weeks for about $20-$25. I'm overdue and I'm getting mine tightened on Thursday. THe hair from Adorable Hair is really good, but pricey. I get 8oz of french refined curly 20inches long and it was $160 this year. i remember when it was $110. the price goes up every year. although Adorables has good quality human hair, I'll be going back to the first place i ever purchased hair for my first weave, next year. That place is called Lugo's in brooklyn. their french refined is actually curlier & a lot cheaper, but a little thicker than Adorables, and sometimes i miss it. maintenance is easy. wet & go like my own, unless you get straight or afro-textured hair. i moisturize my scalp & hair every day. i like jojoba oils, perfect for perms & carrot cream by organic root stimulater. anything that smells good and works is great because towards the end of the three months your hair will start to smell, but not to the point where other's can smell it. if you wet your own hair, it will smell worse, so i never do. great smelling hair oils & moisturizers are key. it's braided under a net and the weae is sewn onto the net. it's easy to take out yourself. oh, and no longer than three months for a sew-in. if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. if you'd like the specific info, i'll provide it for you. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ebony

the hairlocs sounds really great. you were able to take the class without having to be a certified stylist? did u find it easy to apply what you learned on your classmate?

beana3

hi ebony... i remember your pics from the old board your hair was gorgeous and so were you!!! but n e wayz, i loved the way your hair looked, very real. We are pretty much in the same boat because you hiar w/o the weave is long.

i dont remeber if u mentioned that you relaxed or not, do you? I'm 4a relaxed myself. Do you notice a good amount of growth with this method???? How do you make sure to properly care for your hair underneath? Since were both in NTY i appreciate the store listings /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll go anywhere in the 5 boroughs to getr a good weave!!!

sbj4115

wanted to revive the thread!

found some really interesting info in it and wanted it to revive the thread! my own hair is "long" so no one ever understands why i want to wear tracks sometimes (cuz it's fun!). i'm currently wearing 2 tracks to add a little bit of length and volume. looks great. lookin' for some care and styling tips!

BLESSED1

Re: wanted to revive the thread!

I wear sew-in weaves from time to time when I want to give my hairline a rest (I usually wear my hair in a phonytail). I'll leave about 3 inches of my front hair out & about 2 inches of my sides out. Also I'll leave a little of my nape hair out so that my tracks never show when I put my "hair" in a ponytail. I get my hair cornrowed in a spiral shape, the ear-to-ear pattern didn't work well for me (too bulky). I would wash once a week, put light oil or braid spray on my real hair that was showing, and either use grease or S-curl spray in between my tracks (once a week usually after I washed it). I would also do a protein treatment once a month, I use Duo-tex which is light like water so I don't have a problem with build up occuring while I have the weave in. If my scalp gets itchy between washes, I'll rub some Smooth & shine serum between my tracks. This is light as well and doesn't cause build up. And I use "deep wave" hair, since that matches my hair once it's air dried. This way I don't even have to heat-style the exposed hair. I notice that my hair grows about 1-1.5 inches a month when in this style, even though I only wash it once a week (as opposed to 4-6 times when I don't have a weave). Hope this helps!

ineedmoney

when you get hairloc, can u do that if you are natural and want your hair to look straight?

cutebajangirl

blaxalrose- do you have more specifics on the Remy hair like the brand name of it ? TIA

sbj4115

here's the remy hair in a box (at least when i was in the store, this is what it looked like, but it was $45): http://www.ebonyline.com/remihair.html

i saw it in person and thought it was wayyyy too "white"/silky. it wasn't like a black person's relaxed hair, i thought. but maybe that's cuz i've got type 4 relaxed hair. i still ended up going with Remi (but in the PURPLE package) cuz i loved the texture and quality. even my stylist could tell it was really good hair. it's more of a true yaki texture and costs about $30. i love it. here's what i got (i thiknk..it's hard to find online):

cutebajangirl

thanks so much guys it is really hard finding a good weave match for 4a/4b hair . I think the Zury in the gold box is the one with Mink in it right?

Happy2BNappy

I am natural (for about 2.5 years now) but I have been wearing weaves on and off for the last 7 years or so. I am currently wearing a partial weave - sew in weave in the back and cornrows in the front. Really cute!!
I go get my hair washed and conditioned every two weeks professionally and also get my front rebraided also. I think if you use the right products and don't forget about your own natural hair braided you should be fine. I apply Carol's Daughters products to my scalp and also cleanse it between washings with Organic Root Hair Cleanser. If you have a straight weave style just remember when you comb or brush it, hold it so you won't pull your own hair (which alot of people seem to do).... I hope this helps...

asummertyme

some great info here, i am also a brooklyn head, and i purchase my hair thru jugos, or mona's across the street from lugos, i really like mona's hair, when i do a strait weave, i have some pics of my weaves in my link check em out...i did them myself, i use the netting method..

Compassion

How do you relax your hair with the hairloc system?? I read that you can go for 3 months without the need of a touch up. What would one do if they relaxed more often than that?

Blessings,
Compassion

sithembile

I've just bought some Beverly Johnson weave which I'll be putting in this weekend. Has anyone used this brand before, and what did you think?

Ebony

wow! thanks for reposting this thread!!! i planned to sit down and search for it when i had a minute cuz i'd like to find the chiquita who did the hairlocs process.

sbj4115

i don't know if she has more than one kind, but i loved beverly johnson hair! i thought it looked very natural and it didn't shed or tangle at all!! the only reason i didn't get it again is that my stylist didn't really have anything good to say about it. she didn't like the texture, nor the way it reacted to a curling/flat iron. i totally loved it though. i think you'll like it.

Laginappe

[ QUOTE ]
Compassion said:
How do you relax your hair with the hairloc system?? I read that you can go for 3 months without the need of a touch up. What would one do if they relaxed more often than that?

Blessings,
Compassion

[/ QUOTE ]

You relax according to your own schedule. Whatever you and your hair requires then that's what you do. The Hairlocs don't interfere with your relaxer or your timing of it. I do my touchups right over mine with no problems at all.

Ebony

Laginappe, are you and your classmate still doin each other's hair? I'm also wondering if you need a license of some sort to take the class to learn to do the process yourself?