Best New Jersey Salons?

hiddy3

How many Jersey girls do we have here? All this salon talk has me in the mood to try a new place. Where/who do you like?

Pallas

Ennyaa

I get my hair done at Shades in Livingston, NJ. They are VERY VERY conscious about not overlapping relaxers and hair health. They do alot of natural hair there and use some great products. (They got me started on KeraCare and I know they give head massages with Shea Butter and hot towel wraps.) They aren't cheap but they aren't too pricey either and they will definitely LISTEN to you and make suggestions.

My stylist is Kim but all the ladies (except one new young girl that I'm not too sure about) are very good. In fact except for that one they ALL have natural/texturized hair.

Ebony

Gist Hair Studio/288 Amherst St/East Orange, NJ 973-395-0900..owner and stylist-Michelle. My sister has been going to this salon for two years. Her problem hair is totally healthy. Michelle is very informative. She was the first person who ever told us that she puts vitamins directly into her hair products. She cut her hair short summer 2001. No lie, it's already back down her back past the shoulders. Most of her customers have long hair. I would go to her more, but i have no patience & need to be in&out. She and her sister are the only stylists. Both have long beautiful hair. Also, the place to go for roll n sets (doobies)..our Dominican Hot Spot in Jersey..Max's UniSex/129 Mulberry St./Downtown Newark 973-824-2110 or 8282. In & out and cheap. My sister gets her eyesbrows waxed there too. They've been in uptown NYC forever and opened up shop downtown Newark 3-4 years ago as well. I'm back n forth between NY (where i live)& Jersey (family) since I'm right on the border and i need the flexibility of having spots for everything between the two states.

daviine

I have no idea where Livingston is but I'll travel there one weekend for the services you just described. By what other town is Livingston?

My aunt lives In Edison but used to live in East Orange. I live in Brooklyn.

JerseyGirl

I have been happily going to Debby's in New Brunswick. Debby and her team of lady's is great. They are Dominican and I paid $20 for a wash and set and deep conditioner. $16 for a wash and set. I usually bring my own products for fear that their shampoo and conditioner may be too drying for my hair. That is my main problem with my hair that it is just too dry.

Debby only roller set your hair. The first time I went I had a roller set and let her blow dry it. Boy was that a mistake that blow drying was toooooo hot and my head hurted me for three days. But I left there very happy and let me tell you I am a hard person to please. But the price is right and I nevery sat there wanting no more than 10 minutes to be serviced. Everyone hair is healthy and long. My boss told me about this place and her hair is waist length. She too is native New Yorker and was travelling to Queens every Saturday to get her hair done and someone referred her to Debby's and she has been going faithfully for two years. Check it out.

daviine

Is New Brunswick near Edison? If so, next time I'm bored at my aunt's house, I can disappear to the salon. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

daviine

I'm pretty sure there aren't any salons in Edison---at least none I would want to go to.

rosebud

JerseyGirl,
Do you also get your relaxer touch up at Debby's? Where are they located? Do they all speak and understand english?

Also, does anyone in NJ go to Maxx's in Elizabeth for a relaxer touch up? How do you like them for touch up. I went there recently for a relaxer touch up and the person there could bareley understand or speak English and because of that I think she mis understood me and used the wrong relaxer. ( i even had someone in the salon translate for me..I am tired of this miscommunication in these salons!!!)My hair barely looks like I had a touch up now I don't know what to do. I am looking for a new hair dresser in NJ who I can rely on to do good relaxer. Places south of Newark will be best.
rosebud.

Robin41

Hey to all the New Jerseyans!!! I go to Beauty Essentials on Route 22 in North Plainfield. I try to go during off-hours so I don't have to wait and they're very good. They do natural and relaxed hair and my stylist, Alicia, is the absolute best at trimming without cutting! I've also seen their work in some hairstyle magazines.

I didn't realize there were so many of us right here in Jersey -- good to know!

free2bme

Hi all! I'm a New Yorker but have been spending a lot of time in NJ lately. I have tried 2 salons in NJ. I went to Debbies in New Brunswick she does a decent job of rollersets and doobies. I stay away fron their blowdryers; a little too hot and drying for my taste. I also bring my own products. Thanks for the recommendation Jersey girl. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The other one is called TNT II. I go there for touch ups they are very time conscious and do excellent touch ups (little overlapping) and they use excellent products. They are in a nicer area than Debbies but are more expensive. Their touch ups are $65 and up.

Ennyaa

Hey I been wanting to find a Dominican spot in NJ for those times I just don't feel like doing my own hair. Thanks. I might try the one in East Orange. I live in South Orange so it's fairly close. My sister tells me there is another place on Main Street in Orange but I'm not exactly sure where it is. I'll likely continue to go to my regular salon for texturizers and stuff but I wouldn't mind trying a different place for doobies and stuff.

JerseyGirl

Dominican Unisex on Central in Newark, New Jersey (Marena - is the girl's name). One of my co-workers goes here and her hair is flawless. Her hair is 3 inches above bra strap. She has been going to them now for two years and when she first started going her hair was very damaged. She said her hair has never been this long and healthy in her entire life and she use to live in New York and spend so much money and time going to expensive salons and never got the results she has from Marena. For a wash, set, deep conditioner it is $20 to $25 - depending on the length. You can use your own products - she does. She has never had a problem and will only use them. There is also Max’s Unisex on the corner of Mulberry Street. Their prices are the same.

Debby’s Hair Salon is located in New Brunswick near Rutger’s College. I have had a touch-up done by her twice and never had any burns or scars. She used Affirm and smooth with the back of a comb. I usually base my own scalp. As far as their English, they speak very good English. The understand everything. I have never had a problem. Everyone that goes to Debby comes out with healthy, bouncy hair.

Robin 41 - I live very close to Beauty Essentials - I have seen them in the hair magazines and I want to give them a try. How are they prices? Do they have you wanting all day and night?

free2bme

South Brunswick

353 Georges Road (off route 522 & 1)
Station Plaza Mall
Dayton, NJ 08810
Phone: 732 438 9553

Robin41

JG - Beauty Essentials' prices are reasonable - $55 for t/u and trim. Again, depending on when you go, sometimes I get right in the chair and on occasion I've had to wait up to a half-hour. I like to leave work a little early and get like a 3:00 apptmt on a weekday and then it's no problem. I only visit the salon for my bi-monthly touch-ups but they do everything in there.

Alicia's been doing my touch-ups for years and I totally trust her. Let me know if you decide to pay them a visit. I only live ten minutes away from there myself so maybe we can get together!

AZJeepgurl

Awwww, maaaaaaan! You ladies are making me miss my home state. I'm new here (to longhairforum) and I was born and
raised in NJ. Grew up in Edison, actually! I moved to Arizona in July of 1999 and there isn't a Dominican
salon, or even a Dominican person for that matter in this state. UGH! Dang! Wish I knew about hair boards
when I was back home. Too late now! Lived in New Brunswick right before I moved here. I know you guys
are like "Who are you and why do we need to know this?" /images/graemlins/confused.gif Heh, heh! Just feeling a bit nostalgic,
(sniff). Well, if I ever come home to visit, I will check out those places. Thanks for the info! And I'm glad to
be a part of this board! I love it here!

Robin41

Welcome AZ. I lived in Tucson for three years and absolutely loved it. The dry climate and beauty of the desert suited my personality perfectly (if you can imagine) but the area isn't famous for catering to the African American community. At least now you can get products over the Internet.

Believe me, during this Jersey winter I'd rather be there than here!

Ennyaa

Welcome AZ. I'm with Robin on this one. I wish I was in a warmer climate right now, that's for dern sure. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh btw I wasn't able to see your photo journal on Yahoo. Got a forbidden message when I tried. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

AZJeepgurl

Robin, Thanks for the welcome! And Girrrrl, You ain't lying about this being the wrong state to cater to black folk. Guess I should have researched a little more before I came.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

AZJeepgurl

Robin & Ennyaa: Hahaha: I didn't say I wanted to be there NOW...LOL

I miss food, culture, diversity, arts...the list goes on. But while you guys are shoveling, I'm driving with the top down on my jeep. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ennyaa: Yes, I was pretty sleepy when I added that URL last night. Checked it this morning and it didn't work for me either!
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Back to the drawing board!

soul_stice12

hiddy3 said:
How many Jersey girls do we have here? All this salon talk has me in the mood to try a new place. Where/who do you like?

Pallas
I'm new to Jersey and today I got a recommendation from someone at work to go to this place called Shear Bliss in Morristown. I am transitioning and have 8 months of new growth. Shamisha blow dried my hair beautifully straight, "Dominican style" with the round brush. The heat was a little painful at first but the end result was worth it. After she had blown it, my hair looked as though I had freshly relaxed it. Then she curled it with the flat iron, as I left my hair was the silkiest it had been in years. I don't normally try to use much heat, but I wanted my hair to look nice for a wedding I'm going to tomorrow, in the end my hair still felt soft and healthy and had a nice sheen to it. I was very happy with the salon. They took me right at my appt time and had me out of there in less than an hour and a half. While I was there I also spoke to a woman named Sheila who does a lot of natural hair as well. Her styles also came out very nice. I would take a pic for you all but it was raining tonight so I had it pin curled up before I left the shop. I am so very satisfied, I feel like I found the best of both worlds...the straight blow drying skills of a Dominican shop paired with the skillful styling and flat ironing of a black salon. :D

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ebony said:
Also, the place to go for roll n sets (doobies)..our Dominican Hot Spot in Jersey..Max's UniSex/129 Mulberry St./Downtown Newark 973-824-2110 or 8282. In & out and cheap. My sister gets her eyesbrows waxed there too. They've been in uptown NYC forever and opened up shop downtown Newark 3-4 years ago as well. I'm back n forth between NY (where i live)& Jersey (family) since I'm right on the border and i need the flexibility of having spots for everything between the two states.

Thank you so much for this. My father lives in Jersey City and when I got to see him, there are about 10 Dominican salons around where he lives. In fact, there is one right across the street from him on 2nd and Montrose. But I may try out both of the salons you suggested. I think the Dominicans know what they are doing, sans the blowouts. ;)

ETA: I promise that when I see my Dad in August, I will do a walk and write down all of the Dominican salons in that area for you Jersey City/Newark ladies...

Last edited:

NuMe2004

Robin41 said:
Hey to all the New Jerseyans!!! I go to Beauty Essentials on Route 22 in North Plainfield. I try to go during off-hours so I don't have to wait and they're very good. They do natural and relaxed hair and my stylist, Alicia, is the absolute best at trimming without cutting! I've also seen their work in some hairstyle magazines.

I didn't realize there were so many of us right here in Jersey -- good to know!

Thanks so much for this! I will be in North Plainfield in August and would like to go to a salon while I'm there. I may just have to check them out :).