Dominican Challenge!!!

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
Yay, I'm in!

I won't be doing it for six months, though, because I refuse to go to ANY salon in the summer months. I'll think about going at night, though. You all know what happened last time.

But right up until summer (and then again in the autumn) I'm going to try to go once a week. I just can't not wash my hair for two weeks.

Here's my regimen:

*Thurs.: Pre-shampoo at home with Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil deep conditioner (1-2 hours). Wash hair with Alter Ego Tropical shampoo and conditioner, Head & Shoulder conditioner, Body Shop Glossing conditioner (used as rinse). Towel dry, add Salerm 21 and Alter Ego Revitalizing Drops
*Fri.: Get hair done at Dominican salon (http://www.reactionbeauty.com). Wash and set, blow dry, wrap.
Sat.: Wear hair down all day, wrap up at night.
Sun.: Take hair down, comb/brush out, leave out for 1-2 hours, wrap.
Mon.: Same as Sat., but I put in 4 large steam rollers for more body
Tues. and Wed.: Same as Sun.
Dusting: Once a month
Relaxer: Once ever three months, at home Profective Anti-Damage No-Lye

I already drink no less than exactly 3 liters of water a day and have been for years, so that won't change but I'm starting Krav Maga again so I'll be adding some things to my exercise routine.

Hi Boadicea,

Quick question how does your hair respond to washing with shampoo 2 days in a row?? It sounds like an interesting way of treating the hair the day before your wash and set, I'm just concerned about using shampoo 2 days in a row.

Let me know.

Thanks

Boadicea

It's never presented a problem. I don't use very much shampoo at all and allow it to sit on my hair for about a minute and then rinse. That way I don't have to shampoo two or three times in a row in one day.

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
It's never presented a problem. I don't use very much shampoo at all and allow it to sit on my hair for about a minute and then rinse. That way I don't have to shampoo two or three times in a row in one day.

Thank's Boadicea,

I think I'm going to try to do this on saturday night...since I will be going to the salon on sunday. BTW...how much does your salon cost you for a wash/set? Do you blow your roots?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I have not been successfull in finding a domincan salon in my area. Can I just go to a regular salon and get a blowdry & curl (roller set)? Or what should I ask for? :p

ms_kenesha

I would ask them if they can rollerset you and wrap your hair or ask them if they know how to use the round brush, if they can they can rollerset and blow-out your hair.

sugaplum said:
I have not been successfull in finding a domincan salon in my area. Can I just go to a regular salon and get a blowdry & curl (roller set)? Or what should I ask for? :p

sugaplum

Star Shooter
ms_kenesha said:
I would ask them if they can rollerset you and wrap your hair or ask them if they know how to use the round brush, if they can they can rollerset and blow-out your hair.

Thanks Ms. Kenesha. :yep:

Boadicea

RabiaElaine said:
Thank's Boadicea,

I think I'm going to try to do this on saturday night...since I will be going to the salon on sunday. BTW...how much does your salon cost you for a wash/set? Do you blow your roots?

I'm charged $23 for a wash and set and only the roots are blow-dried but the brush is taken from roots to ends so some of the curl is lost. I'll ask them not to do that when I go on Friday.

RabiaElaine

sugaplum said:

Hey Suga,

I hope you can join us in this challenge. All that the salon really needs to be able to do is a taut and smooth rollerset. Then you can have them wrap it and you can be on your way. If your roots need to be blown straight like mine do, when I need a relaxer, you ask them to do that after they remove your rollers. Only let them blow dry the roots! That's really all they need to do, the reason why I prefer Dominicans is because so far they are the best at doing this.

I hope your salon is able to do this for you. Perhaps if you know any Dominicans yourself they can direct you to a salon or you might run into a friend that knows how to do this on the side and they can do this for you.

Good luck!!:)

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
I'm charged $23 for a wash and set and only the roots are blow-dried but the brush is taken from roots to ends so some of the curl is lost. I'll ask them not to do that when I go on Friday.

That's not bad, my place charges $20 and my hair is a lot shorter than yours, some place charge different amounts because of length.

On a side note, I'm thinking about making Salerm Wheat Germ mask my pre poo the night before my wash and set, then rinse it out, use a rinse conditioner like suave after instead of shampoo. Wash it out, put a little leave in and go to bed. Then get my hair washed and set like normal at the salon, what do you think?

Boadicea

There are a lot of Dominican salons where I am, but I think of the extra $3 as for their service. The place right across the street from Reaction charges $20 but it's always crowded, has no heating or air conditioning, barely anyone speaks a good amount of English, and it's also the salon where I fainted because it was so hot. Plus they're scissor-happy. AND they cut without asking.

Another one not too far away charges $15, but their rollerset is kinda lousy. Not too far from there is a much larger salon that charges $25, but many people don't go there because of the attitude the stylists have.

I think if you pre-poo with SWGM you should be fine. Plus you can control how long you leave the SWFM on.

I just remembered that I promised I'd do a home rollerset for Valentine's so I'll ask them not to blow out all of my hair next Friday. Am I still part of the challenge if I do a bit of both?

RabiaElaine

Boadicea said:
There are a lot of Dominican salons where I am, but I think of the extra $3 as for their service. The place right across the street from Reaction charges $20 but it's always crowded, has no heating or air conditioning, barely anyone speaks a good amount of English, and it's also the salon where I fainted because it was so hot. Plus they're scissor-happy. AND they cut without asking.

Another one not too far away charges $15, but their rollerset is kinda lousy. Not too far from there is a much larger salon that charges $25, but many people don't go there because of the attitude the stylists have.

I think if you pre-poo with SWGM you should be fine. Plus you can control how long you leave the SWFM on.

I just remembered that I promised I'd do a home rollerset for Valentine's so I'll ask them not to blow out all of my hair next Friday. Am I still part of the challenge if I do a bit of both?

Can this be left on for too long?? Is it a protein mask or just a deep conditioner?

Ofcourse you can still be a part of the challenge if you do a home rollerset...the point of this is their techniques. I am personally going to try to stay away from a home rollerset because when I do them it doesn't come out as smooth as I want, so I end up going back to my flat iron to add more heat.:)

daviine

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Daviine,

Your hair is gorgeous and healthy. How long have you been going to get your hair done by dominican salon? How short was your hair when you cut it? Do they do your relaxer as well? Any recommendations since you've been on this challenge longer than the rest of us?

RabiaElaine....thank you so much for the compliment! I truly appreciate it!

My hair was cut March 12, 2003. So I've basically been going to Dominican stylists since then. I have washed my own hair probably no more than 4 times since that time if I remember correctly. I have airdried my hair once only out of those times.

My hair wasn't Halle Berry short ot anything but I couldn't put it in a ponytail. If it wasn't curled, my students said my hair looked Chinese. At that point, the salon was mandatory for me because I was getting frustrated.

Here is how short my hair was: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I do not get my relaxers done at Dominican salons because I have had three (maybe 4) mishaps. Three strikes you're out.

What kind of recommendations do you mean--salon wise? I just go to the salon downstairs. I don't want to look for parking. I go to the same stylist almost every single time. I would suggest finding who you like and chum up with them. That's all I have in the way of recommendations.

Hope I was helpful--daviine

daviine

Boadicea said:
Technique.

I've brought my own products countless time and have been going for over two years and my hair comes out the same whether I use their products or my own.

I can rollerset at home, but it doesn't come out as smooth as when they do it. If I want supple body and bounce, I do my own set. If I want sleekness and swing, I go to the salon.

I did a rollerset this weekend. It took me the longest time to put those blasted magnetic rollers in (I'm better with mesh rollers). Well, I was so proud of myself because my hair had so much body and bounce but well...it's a little on the dry side...but at least it looks good! :)

daviine

Britt said:

Your hair is looking real good Daviine. Hey, if your hair thrives by going to them why stop? I'll be going this weekend. When my hair was cut into a short bob I had to go weekly or rock a twist out.

Thank you! But you know I've ALWAYS loved your hair. I remember when your hair was short, I wanted to cut my hair short too! You reminded me though that I would love to try to rock a twistout soon...but I don't think I'll airdry... :scratchch

By the way, you left something in my car the last time I saw you......and its still there......:rofl:

Boadicea

@Daviine: I LOVE that pic of your hair!

@Rabia: I'm not sure how long is too long for you, but I leave it on for an hour at least. I haven't used it in a long time and don't remember the ingredients, so I can't say if it's a protein conditioner, but I wouldn't call it moisturizing. I'd call it strengthening because when I use it, my hair feels stronger rather than more moist. How is it for you?

hondahoney007

Count me in.

My regimen:

*Wash & set, deep cond with Affirm 5-in-1 Reconstr., and wrap once a week at "Lookin Nice" dominican salon
*Grease scalp w/ At One with Nature Super Gro once a week
*Oil scalp sparingly with WGO as needed
*Oil hair and ends daily with Keracare Essential oils, Shea butter oil and cocoa butter oil
*Tie hair up nightly before bed
*Try to get my fotki album started asap and update every month

Shariracquel

Hey, Im joining this challenge Bodieaca and I go to the same Salon. www.reactionbeauty.com. Yippy, Well I basically do the same thing as Kenesha - I don't have money and time to go to the salon every week, but every two weeks is sufficient enough for me. If things don't work out as well when I wash my hair myself in between my wash visits then I might just change it to once a week. But, I will wash my hair every week, religously and deep condition at the salon and at home and treatments. I have a set regime, but Im so tired, for me to list everything that I've done is kind of ---u know. Well that's me for now, keep us updated.

RabiaElaine

Welcome hondahoney007 and Shariracquel to our challenge :weird: .

We will be checking in once a month or as needed if you have an problems or issues. I will be updating my calendar monthly. Let us know if you have any questions. This should be a pretty simple challenge to keep up with because it's low maintenance.

Good luck laides!

Are there any other Dominican Challengers out there??

Britt

daviine said:
Thank you! But you know I've ALWAYS loved your hair. I remember when your hair was short, I wanted to cut my hair short too! You reminded me though that I would love to try to rock a twistout soon...but I don't think I'll airdry... :scratchch

By the way, you left something in my car the last time I saw you......and its still there......:rofl:

Hey Daviine!
Haaaa, i totally forgot.. i think it's a St. Ives conditioner right :lol:. Thankyou for the hair compliment ;).

HWAY

I'm joining this challenge ladies. I have a regular stylist who does my hair every two weeks but on the off weeks, I go to a Dominican Salon because they're cheaper and I can bring my own products.
I use GPB as a prepoo and use Elucence shampoo and conditioner. I'm now 5 weeks post relaxer and am trying to stretch to at least 7 weeks.

Question:My stylist used Aphogee four weeks ago. Is it too soon to use Emergencee? I am still experiencing some breakage.

RabiaElaine

HWAY said:
I'm joining this challenge ladies. I have a regular stylist who does my hair every two weeks but on the off weeks, I go to a Dominican Salon because they're cheaper and I can bring my own products.
I use GPB as a prepoo and use Elucence shampoo and conditioner. I'm now 5 weeks post relaxer and am trying to stretch to at least 7 weeks.

Question:My stylist used Aphogee four weeks ago. Is it too soon to use Emergencee? I am still experiencing some breakage.

Welcome HWAY,

I agree with Boadicea it really depends on your hair. Have you tried using a really moisturizing conditioner?? Have you been doing anything else lately that might be causing the breakage??

Crystalicequeen123

Hey ladies...

I would LIKE to join the Dominican salon challenge too, but...maybe I'm just the minority here, but ever since I went to a dominican salon and got my first blowout, I noticed thinning on my edges of my scalp. I naturally have baby fine hair, and I don't think I have a LOT of strands of hair either. You know, some people have fine hair, but they have a LOT of it, so it doesn't look thin. Well, I'm just the opposite. I have fine hair, but I DON'T have a lot of it. :-(

But anyway, it's funny you mention the Dominican salons because I JUST went to a new one in my area this past Saturday. The roller set came out really nice, but is it just me or does anyone else's hair feel THINNER when they do your hair?? My hair always comes out feeling SOOO thin!!

I really would LOVE to join you ladies, but I'm just worried that constantly going to the Dom. Salons is slowly thinning my hair even MORE. I haven't gotten a blowout at the salons ever since that FIRST time, and I don't intend on getting another blowout ever again. TOO much heat, and it really thins out my hair.

With that said, are there any products or things I can do to improve my thinning/fine hair? I would like thicker hair, especially around the edges of my hairline where it's thinning. If I feel confident in being able to maintain thickness in my hair and my hairline, then I will CERTAINLY join you ladies in the Dominican Salon challenge. I really like the way they get you in and out fast. Not only that, but the women who come there religiously (I can tell which ones are newcomers, and which ones go there many times) always have this NICE, LONG, flowing hair! Their hair really looks HEALTHY! And THICK! Plus, they can roller set like nobody's business. I'm just afraid of my hair thinning out because of them. :-/

HELP....I need some suggestions!

Thanx!

webby

Think Slim
Crystalicequeen123 said:
You know, some people have fine hair, but they have a LOT of it, so it doesn't look thin.

Thanx!
I'm one of those with fine hair but LOTS of it.

I don't have any recs for making hair thicker, but I highly recommend that if you are considering the dominican challenge, you have them blow your roots only. As the hair gets longer, it's not a good idea to add tension to the length by pulling with a brush, IMO.

In fact, my stylist is about to get another lesson from me...after training her to blow only my roots, she decides that she wants to pull the brush through my hair anyway...er..um NOT. No brushing beyond my roots. It's how I prevent thinning, breakage and damage.

HTH

Boadicea

I don't think there are any permanent outside products that will thicken the hair, but supplements may work for you.

For products that give the feeling of thicker hair, I recommened:

-Nexxus Diamtress shampoo
-Michael diCesare's Thick-It shampoo

Crystalicequeen123

Hey thanks for the input Webby (I see we're in the same boat! LOL) and Boadicea.

When I got my first (and LAST I might add) Dominican blowout, I told her specifically to only blow out the roots, and at this point I was about 10 weeks post relaxer. But I think she wasn't simply blowing out my roots. Not only that, but the MAIN problem was that the ROOTS of my hair started looking thin around my hairline ever since she's done a blowout on the "roots only". Needless to say, I won't be getting anymore blowouts period. I just don't think that MY hair can take it. I think I'll stop relaxing my hair line too. I think I'll give it a break next time I relax my hair.

My hairline was growing in nicely after 14 weeks post relaxer, and I told my black stylist (where I trust to get my hair relaxed) NOT to put relaxer on my edges, but she was like: "Well, you just have to put a little on the edges, not a lot. It will be okay", and then proceeded to put relaxer on my edges anyway. Needless to say, I was FUMED because afterwards, all the little curly q's of new hair growth that was growing at the hairline was GONE after. UGHGH! I was soo livid!

Crystalicequeen123

Boadicea:

I've been using the Vita-tress Biotin shampoo, and the Vitatress Biotin creme for thinning hair from the NExxus Line for a week. I'll let you know if it does anything. I've tried the Nexxus Diametress and it didn't really do anything for me. It just left my hair feeling really dry for some reason. :-/

But I'll let you know if any of the vitatress products help my hair. :-D

Thanks Webby for your advice. I most likely won't be getting another blow out anytime soon. Maybe (MAYBE!) if and when my hair recovers from the last blowout, and maybe if my hair starts getting thicker maybe I'll consider it. But my hair in the middle is fine, it's just the hair around my hairline and edges that is really thin, and I hate it.

webby

Think Slim
Crystalicequeen123 said:
Needless to say, I was FUMED because afterwards, all the little curly q's of new hair growth that was growing at the hairline was GONE after. UGHGH! I was soo livid!

Not cool :( She should have done what you instructed you to do.

Crys, maybe you can just rollerset and wrap. My mother said that most of the salons she went to in DR didn't blow the hair, just just wrapped it after the rollerset.

Crystalicequeen123

webby said:
Crys, maybe you can just rollerset and wrap. My mother said that most of the salons she went to in DR didn't blow the hair, just just wrapped it after the rollerset.

Webby,
Yeah, that's what I've been getting done lately at the Domnican salons. Just a wash, condition, and roller set. My hair always still seems to feel thin afterwards, but I'll keep going there and see if I notice any improvement to my hair.

I DO notice that A LOT of the women coming out of the salon have really NICE, long healthy hair. I dont' know if that's because they frequent the Dominican salons OR, if they just were born with hair that naturally grows at a faster rate. You know what I mean?? I guess my question is, what came first? The chicken or the egg??

webby

Think Slim
Crystalicequeen123 said:
I dont' know if that's because they frequent the Dominican salons OR, if they just were born with hair that naturally grows at a faster rate. You know what I mean?? I guess my question is, what came first? The chicken or the egg??
I had a problem retaining length when I went to black salons. My hair was very long when I was a child and after I got a relaxer, it was just not looking good at all. In fact, things were looking rather bleek.

When I started to go to dom salons, I noticed an immediate difference and realized that their regimen and technique is what grew my hair, but they are definitely not for everyone.

My mother has ultra fine hair, but it is very misleading, because it looks coarse, super kinky. She is having a difficult time finding a regimen that will not cause thinning or breakage. With that said, you have to find what works best for YOUR hair, not someone elses, ya know?