CAN I DEEP CONDITION, AFTER A HARD PROTEIN TREATMENT?

taytay86

My hair was extremely dry, I wasn't paying much attention to moisture as I should have. As a result my hair started breaking because of dryness. I relaxed my hair, but forget to do my protein treatment before, so I did it the second wash after my relaxer to make up for it. My hair is still breaking, but it's minimal - it really needs moisture, but not sure if I do a DC treatment the wash after using protein (Nexxus Emergencee) if I will do more damage? Do I need to give my hair a break?

TIA

Vintageglam

I would strongly advise that you must do a moisture DC after a strong Protein treatment to stop your hair being too hard/ dry.

LushLox

You absolutely must do a moisture rich DC after doing a strong protein treatment otherwise it'll be setback city!!

taytay86

THANKS LADIES - I used Nexxus Humectin with a shower cap after protein to combat the dryness. Left it on for about 30 minutes or so. However I've read in other threads that conditioners, do not deep condition.

My question is, can I use an actual D.C. (w/o protein) now as I find my hair is still dry/breaking?

I actually have to search for a new D.C. as the ones I have seem to work better on natural hair. I am thinking of trying ORS Pak...

taytay86

If I am supposed to D.C. right after protein, then I guess this answers my question. But I just used a regular conditioner, and left it on for longer...

caribeandiva

Human being
Moisture should always follow protein because protein leaves hair dry. You should always do a moisturizing DC right after any protein treatment. If you don't you will end up with dry, hard, breaking hair.

Miss AJ

THANKS LADIES - I used Nexxus Humectin with a shower cap after protein to combat the dryness. Left it on for about 30 minutes or so. However I've read in other threads that conditioners, do not deep condition.

My question is, can I use an actual D.C. (w/o protein) now as I find my hair is still dry/breaking?

I actually have to search for a new D.C. as the ones I have seem to work better on natural hair. I am thinking of trying ORS Pak...

Girl no, that has hydrolyzed collagen pretty high on the ingredient list. Good for a normal DC, not so good for a post hardcore protein DC. I'd recommend Lustrasilk Shea Butter Plus or Queen Helene Cholesterol for after a hardcore protein treatment.

Vintageglam

Girl no, that has hydrolyzed collagen pretty high on the ingredient list. Good for a normal DC, not so good for a post hardcore protein DC. I'd recommend Lustrasilk Shea Butter Plus or Queen Helene Cholesterol for after a hardcore protein treatment.

was just about to suggest the lustrasilk as an option. Cheap and effective.

ETA: For a weekly mild protein treat you could mix the ORS pack and Lustrasilk 50:50. I know some ladies on the board have had success with this mixture.

BTW you may want to check out SistaSlick's articles on regimen building and protein v moisture balance. They are VERY helpful :yep:

Last edited:

taytay86

LOL

What's bad about hydrolyzed collagen? Is it because of where it comes from? So many people on the forum said they love ORS pak for D.C.? Is it too heavy? I was just at the drug store and looked at various D.C. and I really liked the feel and smell of ORS nourishing conditioner, so I thought the D.C. would be even better.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
hydrolyzed collagen is protein.

definition - Collagen is a group of naturally occurring proteins. In nature, it is found exclusively in animals.[1][clarification needed] It is the main protein of connective tissue. It is the most abundant protein in mammals,[2] making up about 25% to 35% of the whole-body protein content.

In muscle tissue it serves as a major component of endomysium. Collagen constitutes 1% to 2% of muscle tissue, and accounts for 6% of the weight of strong, tendinous muscles.[3] Gelatin, which is used in food and industry, is derived from collagen.

the sheabutter plus is a better bet.

and yes. dc after protein is a great idea.....as the other ladies already said.

taytay86

OK so I looked at the ingredients of the products mentioned, and they have mineral oil in them which I am not a fan of:nono:. I spent about 30 minutes in the BSS and found nothing:sad:. Everything that claimed to be a moisturizing treatment had protein or mineral oil in it.:wallbash:

taytay86

joico intense hydrator?

Protein:nono:

matrix biolage ultra hydrating balm?
Looks interesting - but aren't silk acids protein as well?

Wow I'm just baffled. EVERYTHING seems to have some form of protein. If it's far on the list, is it still OK to use as a moisturizing treatment?!

SistaSlick recommends Kenra MC - but isn't this just a conditioner? The bottle says intensive treatment but not sure...Some women on here said not to DC with a reg conditioner as it won't work. I wish she could chime in right about now?:rolleyes:

I need something THICK, DETANGLING with LOTS OF SLIP!

Why is this so hard:wallbash:

Last edited:

Miss AJ

LOL

What's bad about hydrolyzed collagen? Is it because of where it comes from? So many people on the forum said they love ORS pak for D.C.? Is it too heavy? I was just at the drug store and looked at various D.C. and I really liked the feel and smell of ORS nourishing conditioner, so I thought the D.C. would be even better.

Hydrolyzed collagen isn't bad, I said no because you don't want to use a protein DC after doing a hardcore protein treatment. I loooove ORS pak but if I used that after my Aphogee 2 Step I'd be in breakage city.

Vintageglam

I think you will be okay with the Matrix biolage intense hydrator or the sallys gvp version. A few of the ladies here like it.

taytay86

Hydrolyzed collagen isn't bad, I said no because you don't want to use a protein DC after doing a hardcore protein treatment. I loooove ORS pak but if I used that after my Aphogee 2 Step I'd be in breakage city.

Do you use ORS pack as a light protein treatment? Or a mositurizing treatment, that happens to have protein in it?

Miss AJ

Do you use ORS pack as a light protein treatment? Or a mositurizing treatment, that happens to have protein in it?

I use it as a light protein treatment. It does have moisturizing properties but because the hydrolyzed collagen (and a couple other protein ingredients i think) is high on the ingredient list it has more of that in there so I'd consider it a light protein. Now something like Lustrasilk Olive Oil cholesterol would be considered a moisture treatment that happens to have protein in it because it has soy protein in it but it is listed toward the bottom of the ingredient list so there isn't much in there to cause protein overload, but it's enough to add a little strength to the hair.

taytay86

I use it as a light protein treatment. It does have moisturizing properties but because the hydrolyzed collagen (and a couple other protein ingredients i think) is high on the ingredient list it has more of that in there so I'd consider it a light protein. Now something like Lustrasilk Olive Oil cholesterol would be considered a moisture treatment that happens to have protein in it because it has soy protein in it but it is listed toward the bottom of the ingredient list so there isn't much in there to cause protein overload, but it's enough to add a little strength to the hair.

Makes sense - thanks so much!:yep:

JJamiah

See I asked another sister the question about using ORS as a DC but she said it was a mild Protein so now I will put that into my rotation another way. I know it is TOOO moisturizing under the steamer I had to combat it with Aphogee 2 minute in order to stop the breakage. maybe without I'd get more of the protein effect :D

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Makes sense - thanks so much!:yep:

this^^^^^

look at the first five ingredients. those are the ingredients with the heaviest weight in the product. if you see a protein way way down the list, it's neglible.

just like if you see prods that advertise some magical potion in the ingredients...then you look at the label and it's the fifteenth ingredient on a bottle that has sixteen ingredients, it might as well not even have it in there. :nono:

you are looking for base moisturizing ingredients like water, flower waters (chamomille, rose, etc.) , butters, oils, aloe, cetyl alcohol, stearyl (are both moisturizing)

Giovanni conditioners are organic and moisturizing and cheap.

also you can add olive oil, coconut oil, etc. to VO5 conditioners, Suave conditioners, Herbal Essence, Garnier, Tresemme. those are cheap conditioners that can be amped up with some home ingredients for a low cost too. :)

godsflowerrr

After using a heavy protein teatment, you must use a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment right after. If not, your will start to have breakage due to protein overload. Maintaining a moisture protein balance is very important...too much of either can result in breakage.