Not ALL conditioners can DEEP condition!!

kim

I've used Silicon Mix and because of the ingredients and the fact that it states to leave on 2-3 minutes I do not consider it a dc.

I have dc'd with it before i knew this.

Silicon is listed on the list several times as a deep conditioner. So I'm confused.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Thats why I dont understand the purpose of instant/cheap conditoners like v05 and stuff....if they just coat the hair.

I dont understand how they are beneficial if they dont actually go into the hair and do anything....Thats why i still dont really get co-washing with something like suave.

Do people use them becuase they deepconditon enough, and just use these as something after they shampoo to detangle their hair?
....Or do they help seal in the water in your hair?

When I use conditoners like suave and vo5, my hair always gets tangly, rough, and dry.

The purpose of instant conditioners are indeed to coat your shaft and that is what locks moisture in. So I co-wash 3 times a week and my hair more moisturized than it's ever been. I don't deep condition other than pre-pooing with oils because I don't see the point. I WANT the water to lock into my hair so those instant conditioners are doing their job when they leave residue behind to lock in the moisture (which is water).

ETA: I do use a protein treatment once a month so I guess that counts as a DC

Last edited:

Tangie

Silicon is listed on the list several times as a deep conditioner. So I'm confused.

Oops. I didn't get to click the link (I'm on my phone and it was taking forever to load it) so I just read the thread to gauge what it said. But this is why all take all things read with a grain of salt because by definition Silicon Mix would not be considered "deep" but it is used as such and with great results. So, do I stop using it as such because 1 article says so or keep doing what my hair loves? I'll go with the latter. But, I do agree that there are indeed some condishes that can never be a "deep" dc. At the end of the day, you have to just do what works for you.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Every product that I've tried that says it's for DEEP conditioning, it feels like what a regular conditioner would do... just sit on the hair strands. Once I rinse the deep conditioner out, my hair feels the same as if I was rinsing a regular conditioner out of my hair.

CurlTalk

So is Aussie Deeeep 3 Minute Miracle a DC? It claims to be deep in the title, yet it instructs use for only 3 minutes, leaving me quite confused.

Spring

For a moisture deep conditioning treatment you certainly can achieve that with Suave Naturals.. Water is what the hair shaft must have and coconut oil definitely penetrates the hair shaft, and olive oil seals quite nicely. Suave provides a nice base without the expense.

Spring

Another plus for Suave Tropical Coconut making it a great base for deep conditioning, is that it does contain Silk Amino Acids and Nettle (which also contain Amino Acids). Silk Amino Acids make the hair durable and can penetrate the entire hair shaft (not simply coating the cuticle).

NIN4eva

The first couple of times I used Suave Naturals tropical coconut I though it was great. And it smells fantastic. Once I mixed it in with some leftover Humectress. After a couple of weeks though, it was just like rinsing my hair with body lotion. Even after I clarified it was still just blah.

That's what it reminds me of. A cheap body lotion that smells amazing, but an hour later your skin's dry again.

Roseann

I am going to go out on a limb here and disagree to this statement.
If you find a cheaper OTC conditioner and look at it's ingredients sometimes you will get lucky and see that they have some really good things in them for your hair. Who's to say that they don't penetrate your hair shaft?
I would never be adverse to mixing up some of my cheap suave conditioner with some olive and coconut oil....apply a heat cap and go to town.
Here are the ingredients listed on a bottle of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner:
Ingredients :
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol; Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate]; Freesia Refracta (Freesia Refracta) Extract [Freesia Extract]; Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel [Aloe Vera]; Cetrimonium Chloride; Fragrance (Parfum); Potassium Chloride; Distearyldimonium Chloride; Disodium EDTA; DMDM Hydantoin; Glycerin; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Propylene Glycol; Methylisothiazolinone, FD&C Blue No. 1 (Cl 42090), FD&C Green No. 3 (Cl 42053).

While I will agree that many of the latter ingredients listed here your hair could live without some of the former....like the Vit E, Aloe and all the extracts can do wonders for your hair. If you couple this with your favorite hair lovin' oils and apply a little bit of heat I can not see why your hair would not love it no matter how long you choose to sit with it on your head.

Whatever works for you and your hair....there is no right or wrong here.

I totally agree...i always check to make sure it says leave on for 15 minutes or more!!!

grow

Another plus for Suave Tropical Coconut making it a great base for deep conditioning, is that it does contain Silk Amino Acids and Nettle (which also contain Amino Acids). Silk Amino Acids make the hair durable and can penetrate the entire hair shaft (not simply coating the cuticle).

hey Spring!
great info! i never knew Nettle has Amino Acids!
i also drink Nettle Tea (and do hair rinses with it).

i can't ingest the Amino Acids in capsule form without pains, but Amino Acids are in the Nettle tea, i can add some of the tea to my dc's to get some added Amino Acids.....does that sound logical to you ladies?

thanks!

angelica_lisa

The Dominican salon I used to go to used to deep condition my hair with Silicon Mix for 20 minutes, and I always had good results. They had a lot of different conditioners (from leave in to the heavy duty protein), so I doubt they would use it as a DC if it wasn't meant for one.

I use V05 Strawberries and cream for co-washing, CoN Nourishing Conditioner mixed with castor oil for a regular conditioner, and ORS Replenishing Conditioner for a deep conditioner. All 3 makes my hair nice and soft - just depends on the level of moisture that my hair needs at the time.

Like someone said - do what works best for your hair. If a product you're using for a DC works for your hair, then I wouldn't worry too much if someone else says something different. Everyone will not be able to use the same products with the same results - heck I can't even use the same product all of the time if my hair needs something different lol.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I didn't know dc'ing got people so defensive. Some of the responses are getting kinda.....well, lol. It's not that serious to me. I don't even feel that dc's are doing a whole heck of a lot. When i do use one i want to be sure it is one so i only use it if it says it's a deep con....simple as that. I hate dc'ing so i won't waste my time with something i'm unsure about.

If you'd like to put Suave on you head for 2 days by all means do it *shrug*.

The point of dc'ing is to moisturize down into the hair shaft (penetrate) so most likely it won't feel much different than using an instant conditioner on the outside because it's within the hair shaft (this is how I see it) so to be sure i'm using the right thing I use my own judgement which includes looking at ingredients, weather it's packaged as a dc/mask, how long it says leave it on, etc. There is no set rule or product, do your research and use your own judgement.

Last edited:

Spring

hey Spring!
great info! i never knew Nettle has Amino Acids!
i also drink Nettle Tea (and do hair rinses with it).

i can't ingest the Amino Acids in capsule form without pains, but Amino Acids are in the Nettle tea, i can add some of the tea to my dc's to get some added Amino Acids.....does that sound logical to you ladies?

thanks!

Yeah, I read that on an ingredient website about the amino acids in Nettle. Do you buy your tea locally or do you have to buy it online? I would love to try Nettle tea as a hair rinse :).

Spring

I didn't know dc'ing got people so defensive. Some of the responses are getting kinda.....well, lol. It's not that serious to me. I don't even feel that dc's are doing a whole heck of a lot. When i do use one i want to be sure it is one so i only use it if it says it's a deep con....simple as that. I hate dc'ing so i won't waste my time with something i'm unsure about.

If you'd like to put Suave on you head for 2 days by all means do it *shrug*.

The point of dc'ing is to moisturize down into the hair shaft (penetrate) so most likely it won't feel much different than using an instant conditioner on the outside because it's within the hair shaft (this is how I see it) so to be sure i'm using the right thing I use my own judgement which includes looking at ingredients, weather it's packaged as a dc/mask, how long it says leave it on, etc. There is no set rule or product, do your research and use your own judgement.

Hi Pokahontas.

Wouldn't water (full saturation from washing and conditioning) and oil (coconut or olive) accomplish this alone without expensive over the counter conditioners? TIA

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Hi Pokahontas.

Wouldn't water (full saturation from washing and conditioning) and oil (coconut or olive) accomplish this alone without expensive over the counter conditioners? TIA
I'm no expert, but i can tell you my opinion. Yes i think I think coconut oil or evoo would do a good job at penetrating the hair shaft. I often coat my freshly washed, dry hair in CO before applying my dc, great results:yep:.

mimi0410

So is Aussie Deeeep 3 Minute Miracle a DC? It claims to be deep in the title, yet it instructs use for only 3 minutes, leaving me quite confused.

I agree it is a contradiction of terms. Even though it has a claim of deep in the title...based on the intructions its more of an instant conditoner (at least for me).