Not ALL conditioners can DEEP condition!!

envybeauty

Sweetg said:
Umm...okay so the only way to know the difference is by reading the instructions...cool. No one knows the key ingrediant that is common in all?

I wouldn't use Suave, v05or any one of those as my Deep conditioner anyway.

I don't believe all deep conditioners have the same ingredient....no more than shampoos. Having a particular ingredient will not make something a deep conditioner.

envybeauty

KiSseS03 said:
Good lookin out OP! I've been a regular on this site for a year now and never heard that one before. Thankfully I have been using a conditioner from the list anyway!

Not a problem! ;)

envybeauty

Re-ce said:
Girrrrrrl....thank you for the links. I just recently joined and was thinking of products to shop around for for dp co and recon co. I just got the co washes down and so now its time to step my regime up. Thanks alot for the links. Very informative.:)

[/b]

I have learned a lot and thought to share what was obvious to some. I learned it somewhere along the way in my own hair journey.

envybeauty

Re-ce said:
Girrrrrrl....thank you for the links. I just recently joined and was thinking of products to shop around for for dp co and recon co. I just got the co washes down and so now its time to step my regime up. Thanks alot for the links. Very informative.:)

[/b]

I have learned a lot and thought to share what was obvious to some. I learned it somewhere along the way in my own hair journey.

Qetesh

gymfreak336 said:
I don't know why I started laughing when I saw this:lachen: But ITA, You could use a whole bottle of the stuff and it wouldn't make a difference.

I have found that CW with VO5 works best… THEN take a smaller amount of deep condish and let it set in detangled freash CW hair. at first I did try the deep condish with VO5 and it wasn’t bad but by using an actual deep condish I can see a difference.

This provides the best results for me.

balisi

Sweetg said:
Umm...okay so the only way to know the difference is by reading the instructions...cool. No one knows the key ingrediant that is common in all?
I wouldn't use Suave, v05or any one of those as my Deep conditioner anyway.
It's not so much about the ingredients as it is the size of the molecules. The deep conditioners are constructed of molecules small enough to penetrate the hair shaft.

Aveena

Kiwi said:
I use LeKair Cholesterol as a deep conditioner. It only says to leave on for 2 minutes, rinse out, and repeat the conditioning process. I've always thought cholesterol conditioners (LeKair, Queen Helene) were deep conditioners, but I never realized this one says 4 minutes total:confused: . I leave it on for like half an hour sometimes!

I'm at a complete loss :confused: cause I use LeKair Cholesterol too!! always used it as my deep conditioner... for 45mins-1hr? o dear...:perplexed

I always wanted to try Elasta DPR 11 or NTM... tho. I'll have to compare the difference in the way my hair feels.

LovelyLionessa

Fran said:
I'm at a complete loss :confused: cause I use LeKair Cholesterol too!! always used it as my deep conditioner... for 45mins-1hr? o dear...:perplexed

I always wanted to try Elasta DPR 11 or NTM... tho. I'll have to compare the difference in the way my hair feels.

Lekair Cholesterol is one of the deep conditioners listed in the original link. I love Lekair. Anyway, it is a little confusing, because a lot of those conditioners listed like NTM and Herbal Essences etc, say to leave on for a few minutes. I know my NTM DDC says something about a "one minute rinse" on the tube. :confused:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
nvybeauty said:
I have noticed some ladies refer to deep conditioning their hair simply by putting a regular conditioner on their hair and letting it sit for a while. Some conditioners will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair no matter how LONG you leave it!

Regular conditioners just work on the surface of your hair shaft --they do not penetrate it. Deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft to provide conditioning from within. Letting a regular conditioner just sit on your hair will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair!

Think of this analogy: conditioner is to rinse/cellophane/henna as
deep conditioner is to permanent color/highlights.
A rinse will not permanently color your hair no matter how long you leave it on your head.

Make sure you are applying a DEEP conditioner when you want to DEEP CONDITION!

http://motowngirl.com/deep_conditioners.php
http://www.haircompounds.com/userimages/Ionproddesc.htm

So true and so glad you brought this info. to the forefront. :up:

LovelyLionessa

navsegda said:
Actually, I put the two deep conditioners on, then the hair mayonnaise, and sit with all three for like 25 minutes.

This sounds so good. Tonight, I'm doing this. I put some Aubrey's GPB on my dry hair and mixed some Queen Helene Super Cholesterol on top of it and mixed them all together with Aceite 3 oil. I love being a mad scientist when it comes to conditioning. Muahahahahaaa.... :brainy: :lol:

sunshinebeautiful

Kiwi said:
I use LeKair Cholesterol as a deep conditioner. It only says to leave on for 2 minutes, rinse out, and repeat the conditioning process. I've always thought cholesterol conditioners (LeKair, Queen Helene) were deep conditioners, but I never realized this one says 4 minutes total:confused: . I leave it on for like half an hour sometimes!

My jar of Queen Helene Cholesterol says to leave it on for 15-30 minutes. I think that qualifies it as a deep conditioner.

sunshinebeautiful

Mizani_Mrs said:
I wish i can figure out if Humecto is a deep cond or not. because it coats the hair and helps with detangling, but i wonder if this is all i need to impart strength and moisture to my hair strands...

The instructions on the tub of Humecto says to leave it on for 15-20 minutes with a plastic cap. I use it every week as a deep conditioner.

mango387

A previous poster mentioned that she CWed first and then deep conditioned.
Do you think it is okay to use a deep conditioner first and then follow that with vo5 or Suave? I'm sorry, but deep conditioning just does not handle my tangles like the cheapies do.

nomoweavesfome

OK - I BEEN KNEW ABOUT THIS BUT WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW WAS THAT NEXXUSS HUMECTRESS WAS CONSIDERED A DEEP CO. AND I WAS CO-WASHING WITH THAT STUFF LIKE TWICE A WEEK IN THE SUMMER. THEREFORE CONTRIBUTING TO ME OVERCONDITIONING.

VERY INTERESTING.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Kiwi said:

I use Lekair & Lustrasilk Cholesterol Conditioners, I've always considered them to be a deep conditioners, and I still do. I always leave it in for at least 60 mins or longer.

sareca

All my "instant" conditioners work better when I leave them longer and with heat. It may not be deep, but it's certainly better conditioned. My hair doesn't seem to miss deep conditioning. :ohwell:

mkstar826

supersonic
sareca said:
All my "instant" conditioners work better when I leave them longer and with heat. It may not be deep, but it's certainly better conditioned. My hair doesn't seem to miss deep conditioning. :ohwell:

yep yep. personally i don't think it really matters.

InnerSoul

nvybeauty said:
I have noticed some ladies refer to deep conditioning their hair simply by putting a regular conditioner on their hair and letting it sit for a while. Some conditioners will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair no matter how LONG you leave it!

Regular conditioners just work on the surface of your hair shaft --they do not penetrate it. Deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft to provide conditioning from within. Letting a regular conditioner just sit on your hair will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair!

Think of this analogy: conditioner is to rinse/cellophane/henna as
deep conditioner is to permanent color/highlights.
A rinse will not permanently color your hair no matter how long you leave it on your head.

Make sure you are applying a DEEP conditioner when you want to DEEP CONDITION!

http://motowngirl.com/deep_conditioners.php
http://www.haircompounds.com/userimages/Ionproddesc.htm

thanks for reminding... and I had to be reminded of this when I was made aware of the differences btwn the two when I was reading Cathy Howse's book. When I use my deep conditioner that she markets it was specifically made for that purpose(with heat!!) I sit under the dryer for 20-30 minutes. It has made a world of difference!! I still use a moisturizing rinse out conditioner afterwards for slip(especially post relaxer 12wks)... since her deep conditioner has protein. But when I was exclusively using instant cond.'s or rinse out only.. my shafts were silky then turned frizzy.. so I am glad that I found a deep cond. that works for me:)

Aidenberry03

Now what if you deep conditon first (lustersilk & organics hair mayo) wash then condition with a rinse out conditioner. Do you still get the benefits of the deep conditioning treatment? Or should they be excuted in the other order.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
loreal99 said:
Now what if you deep conditon first (lustersilk & organics hair mayo) wash then condition with a rinse out conditioner. Do you still get the benefits of the deep conditioning treatment? Or should they be excuted in the other order.
Yes this is ok to do. You will still get the benefits of the deep conditioning. A lot of ladies like to deep condition then do a rinse out after that because rinse out's provide more slip than some deep con's. You should be fine doing this.

InnerSoul

loreal99 said:

mentioned in my earlier post that's what I do (deep con. 1st then use a rinse out for slip) especially the longer I stretch my relaxers. I haven't noticed any adverse effects by doing this. IMO this works great!..well atleast for me anyways:)

InnerSoul

loreal99 said:
I mean dc, shampoo, then condition (rinse out).

I don't do a pre-pooing. I just shampoo once, then dc with heat then I rinse this out, and then lastly use a rinse out cond., do a final rinse and then I go roller set!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
loreal99 said:
I mean dc, shampoo, then condition (rinse out).
Ok, I see. I didn't see that you wrote dc then shampoo. Personally, no I wouldn't do that because the shampoo is going to strip what the dc put in. Shampoo, dc, rinse out is how I would do it.

honeybadgirl

i have been trying to find out if Aveda Brilliant is an instant or deep conditioner. Does anyone know? the bottle does not state how long to leave on and i'm very curious about that.

oops...i just went on their site and found this:

Quenches your hair's thirst and sets tangles free, even in the most textured hair. Plant emollients restore hair so it looks smooth and shiny. Excellent detangler makes hair feel soft and silky.

• Hydrates
• Conditions
• Detangles

After shampooing with BrilliantTM Shampoo, apply a small amount of BrilliantTM Conditioner to wet hair and work through to ends. Leave on 3-5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and proceed to style.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

honeybadgirl said:
i have been trying to find out if Aveda Brilliant is an instant or deep conditioner. Does anyone know? the bottle does not state how long to leave on and i'm very curious about that.

oops...i just went on their site and found this:

Quenches your hair's thirst and sets tangles free, even in the most textured hair. Plant emollients restore hair so it looks smooth and shiny. Excellent detangler makes hair feel soft and silky.

• Hydrates
• Conditions
• Detangles

After shampooing with BrilliantTM Shampoo, apply a small amount of BrilliantTM Conditioner to wet hair and work through to ends. Leave on 3-5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and proceed to style.

It does for me. I don't agree that regular conditioner can't deep condition. Just because it says to rinse does not mean that it cannot be a deep conditioner.

For example, Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor used to say leave it on for 2 min and rinse. On many occasions I have used it as a deep conditioner and it works MUCH better.

On the other hand Motions Moisture Plus says that you can sit under the dryer as a deep condition with it. For me, it just is not enough on its own. Sometimes, yes, but it is not hardly enough to deal with all my moisture/protein needs exclusively no matter how long I sit under the dryer.

It's all about the ingredients and I know the ones to look for in my conditioners that will give me great effects while sitting under the dryer.

(NOTE: Aveda Black Malva Users - try it under the dryer for 20 min :love:)