Ayurvedic oils cause itchy tender scalp? Need your expertise

yodie

I've been oil rinsing with Shikakai and Amla oils with no problems. I also add these powders, including Brahmi, to my conditioner.

Well, the other day I combined Aut Gro oil (Ayurvedic) with Brahmi and Shikaki oils, applied to my scalp, massaged and the next day my scalp was very itchy and tender.

I know some women get itchy/tender scalps as a sign of growth, but I've never even had a tingle when I massaged or applied any particular growth aid.

I've been using Mega Tek for a couple of months and never had itching, but I have experienced some slight tenderness.

Another side note - I tried the whole table salt to my conditioner experiment 2 days b4 I applied oils to my scalp. Hated it, but my scalp didn't seem agitated. Not sure if this is the culprit, but it surely removed some of my curls.

Anyone have an episode like this?
Could it be the Brahmi oil or the combo of all the oils mixed together?
Could it be the salt opened my pores or agitated my scalp & I only noticed after applying the oils?

Just trying to find out what not to do again.
Thanks.

Last edited:

jamaraa

You gotta ALOT of stuff going on here. What's in this Aut Gro oil, for starters? How much brahmi are you using? Since I don't know whether you tingle or itch when you're growing (sometimes I do wretchedly and others not), let's work w/ the products.

Shikakai can be drying. In Veda, it's prescribed for those who have oily skin and/or scalps, tho it can be used by many in reasonable amounts. Since you're applying this to your scalp w/ conditioner for some length of time, that could be your problem. Without knowing more about the Aut Gro (you could be getting too much of something or a whole 'nother herb which brings it's on issues). Adding the salt might be another issue....how much did you add?

If you're going to use salt, I'd recommend using it on your final rinse (add to a large bottle of water) and NOT adding it to the conditioner that contains all these herbs. Veda is powerful stuff not really designed to be used w/ Western products (tho it can be) and you're using alot of products.

Without more info, I'd say you need to think about alternating the vedic stuff. Maybe amla today and shikakai next week or however. Do the salt as the final "sealing" rinse. Mixing it altogether could be creating several reactions.

Last edited:

yodie

Thanks for responding. I think I may have confused you a little.

I've used Gro Aut oils for several months. Never had a problem with this.

My scalp is more on the dry side vs. oily. I use Shikakai and Amla as a prepoo and it's never bothered my scalp before.

I use powders (Amla, Shikakai & Brahmi) in my conditioner (NO SALT ADDED TO THIS MIXTURE), one teaspoon of each. Never a problem with this. I let it sit for about 30 mins and rinse.

I experimented with the salt one time and never plan to do it again. I added it to regular conditioner, applied it to my hair, let it sit for awhile and then rinsed. No herbs used during this conditioning treatment.

I noticed the itchy/tender scalp (MY SCALP NEVER USUALLY ITCHES AS AN INDICATION OF GROWTH) after I mixed the Gro Aut (too many ayurvedic oils to list) with Shikakai and Brahmi oils and applied directly to my scalp. Went to sleep and woke up the next day with a very itchy/slightly tender scalp. My prepoo ayurvedic oils are mainly applied to the hair and the mixture listed above was applied directly to my scalp.

HOPE I HAVEN'T CONFUSED YOU TOO MUCH.

You gotta ALOT of stuff going on here. What's in this Aut Gro oil, for starters? How much brahmi are you using? Since I don't know whether you tingle or itch when you're growing (sometimes I do wretchedly and others not), let's work w/ the products.

Shikakai can be drying. In Veda, it's prescribed for those who have oily skin and/or scalps, tho it can be used by anybody in reasonable amounts. Since you're applying this to your scalp w/ conditioner for some length of time, that could be your problem. Without knowing more about the Aut Gro (you could be getting too much of something or a whole 'nother herb which brings it's on issues). Adding the salt might be another issue....how much did you add?

If you're going to use salt, I'd recommend using it on your final rinse (add to a large bottle of water) and NOT adding it to the conditioner that contains all these herbs. Veda is powerful stuff not really designed to be used w/ Western products (tho it can be) and you're using alot of products.

Without more info, I'd say you need to think about alternating the vedic stuff. Maybe amla today and shikakai next week or however. Do the salt as the final "sealing" rinse. Mixing it altogether could be creating several reactions.

jamaraa

Ok...I WAS confused. Based on what you said and a little refresher looksee on my part, I say ditch the brahmi. It's used generally for head related issues (headaches, memory, sleep issues), but since your head is bothering you that's probably a sign you don't need this herb.

Josie

Check to see if there's mineral oil in your Shikakai and Amla oils. I read
somewhere on this board that mineral oil on the scalp can cause itching and
soreness. You may need to clarify. HTH.
Josie

imstush

It *could* be growth, or it could be an allergic reaction. I would try and limit the things you are using. I caught a very bad allergic reaction to some Indian oils. I can only use the vatika oil and the shikaikai powder. HTH

jamaraa

Dabur's brand has mineral oil in some of their oils, but I doubt it would irritate you. Products made for Blacks tend to have mineral oil high up on the list, so if you used any of them, did they bother you?

I'm still of the brahmi opinion.

PinkPebbles

This is interesting...I've used Vatika oil on my hair strands for over a year and I've just recently started applying it to my scalp. I've noticed this week my scalp started to itch and it still looks dry as if I haven't applied anything.

With that being said, I'm going to use Vatika just on the length of my hair and go back to using my other natural oils for my scalp.

natieya

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. I just figured it was a growth spurt because I'm having itchies and tenderness. I make my own oils using a crockpot, so I know there's no mineral oil in mine. My hair looks like i'm 8 weeks post relaxer, but i'm actually only 4. It's a trip. :drunk: I'm impressed with this method and I really like it. Hang in there. Hopefully your symptoms will subside. Mine are getting better daily. :)