anyone going to cosmetology school

Lilmama1011

Right now or at least in the recent 5 years. How was it? Tedious? Rewarding? Fun? What was your tuition like? I'm going to be going this fall but looking at schools now. The school I toured today t
wants 18,400. I'm going for styles, cut, color, and might do braiding. Any advice please insert in here: ) Thanks in advance

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
Ive been thinking about it. My dh and some friends have been encouraging me to go since I'm so into hair, but idk. What schools are you considering? I want to truly focus on natural hair care and find a school that focuses on that.

I think part of my hesitation is im not great at styling. Is that something you can actually learn or does it have to come naturally?

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

Ive been thinking about it. My dh and some friends have been encouraging me to go since I'm so into hair, but idk. What schools are you considering? I want to truly focus on natural hair care and find a school that focuses on that.

I think part of my hesitation is im not great at styling. Is that something you can actually learn or does it have to come naturally?

Yeah, you can learn styling HappyAtLast. I'm in Az so I'm looking at east valley institute of technology, Avalon School of cosmetology, and The Studio academy of beauty

Lilmama1011

I'm waiting to meet up with Evit and Avalon to make a decision by tomorrow or Saturday. The the studio academy was fine but I didn't feel the environment itself for some reason. I wonder if the other schools will be cheaper and I'm drawn to the school

brebre928

Congrats!
Im not in school but I went in 2004-2005 and im a licensed cosmetologist. I learned a lot while there. The school I attended was called hair academy (in MD) and their goal was to prepare us for the state board test. I enjoyed my time there and I made some life long friends. I cant remember how much tution was but t was pretty pricey. You will be happy with your decision.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I found this course and talked to the lady today. It really sounds like exactly what I'm looking for because I don't necessarily want to do all that other cosmetology stuff, just these kinds of things. It's 3 days of one-on-one training for 8+ hrs each day. What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

I'm trying to learn all textures. No limits for me. I already know natural hair anyway

aishasoleil

I graduated from cosmetology school a year ago last week. I've been working for almost 4 months (took a 6 months between graduation and taking my state board to stay home with my then newborn son) and I can honestly say I made the right career choice. I love what I do!

I found school very rewarding, but I think a big part of it was that I had (still have) a great passion for doing hair. The school you choose can also make or break your experience. Take a tour, talk to the instructors and students.

My tuition was about $6k, but they raised it after I graduated because they received a grant that would allow students to get financial aid. I got lucky, I think. I also live in a small area where most things are less expensive than other places in general. I think tuition at my school is now over $10k And schools in the closest larger city tend to charge between $15-20k.

Just a heads up: Most schools will heavily focus on teaching what you need to pass your state's board test. You'll pretty much learn the basics, which are good to know. But, if you want to do something like braiding make sure you ask the instructors if that is something they focus on. I went to a school where I was the first black person to enroll. And it's in an area where black folks are scarce and they don't typically go to the school to get their hair done. So, I had to practice/learn a lot of things on my own. Word got out that I was there, so a few people came to me which was great experience.

Anyway, I say all that to say yes, cosmetology school is worth it if it's something you really want to do. Also, depending on where you live you may have to be very self-motivated. And expect to spend at least $10k depending on the area.

xxinsanexxchels

I'm signed up for cosmetology school at Paul Mitchell the school I start sept 2nd, I toured it and fell completely in love with it. We are getting a very nice kit that comes with an iPad and 5 mannequin heads for school. However my tuition is $20,000 and I am very happy to have financial aid paying for my schooling.

Lilmama1011

I graduated from cosmetology school a year ago last week. I've been working for almost 4 months (took a 6 months between graduation and taking my state board to stay home with my then newborn son) and I can honestly say I made the right career choice. I love what I do!

I found school very rewarding, but I think a big part of it was that I had (still have) a great passion for doing hair. The school you choose can also make or break your experience. Take a tour, talk to the instructors and students.

My tuition was about $6k, but they raised it after I graduated because they received a grant that would allow students to get financial aid. I got lucky, I think. I also live in a small area where most things are less expensive than other places in general. I think tuition at my school is now over $10k And schools in the closest larger city tend to charge between $15-20k.

Just a heads up: Most schools will heavily focus on teaching what you need to pass your state's board test. You'll pretty much learn the basics, which are good to know. But, if you want to do something like braiding make sure you ask the instructors if that is something they focus on. I went to a school where I was the first black person to enroll. And it's in an area where black folks are scarce and they don't typically go to the school to get their hair done. So, I had to practice/learn a lot of things on my own. Word got out that I was there, so a few people came to me which was great experience.

Anyway, I say all that to say yes, cosmetology school is worth it if it's something you really want to do. Also, depending on where you live you may have to be very self-motivated. And expect to spend at least $10k depending on the area.

Yeah they have braiding for $399 extra and I can choose to do it while I'm end enrolled because after that it can go up to a 1000 aishasoleil

aishasoleil

Yeah they have braiding for $399 extra and I can choose to do it while I'm end enrolled because after that it can go up to a 1000 aishasoleil

That's really cool, actually. It's nice that they offer that! I'm thinking about going back to school to become an instructor in the next 3-5 years so that I can help aspiring cosmetologists learn the things that I had to teach myself and that I'm still learning.
I really think you will love cosmetology school. Be sure to keep us updated!

Lilmama1011

I have found a school but will start in October because the September 23rd classes are full. I went to tour 2 schools yesterday. It was one high schoolers would go and was a turn off. It looked old school and small. The second one I fell in love with. I decided I want to take a makeup class as well as do hair that is 2500 more and feel it will be beneficial

Last edited:

PureSilver

I applied over 5 years ago to cosmo school in my area and did not take up the opportunity. I bet now they aren't free anymore. I'll check back because I've been considering which way to go forward. The market is heavily saturated in my country but it doesn't limit my ability to learn, do what I love and earn. I will report back before the week ends.

ManeStreet

Depending on your state you don't have to go to cosmetology school at all. If you work at a salon that has a senior cosmologist then they will give you credit hours (they just sign a paper that says you've worked for the required number of hours) then you go take the state board test. As long as you have the skills to pass the test then you become licensed cosmologist & instead of paying tuition to a school you will getting paid while you work in a salon & hopefully building clientele at the same time.

PureSilver

I checked out 2 schools today and called a few others. The one that i would opt for has a waiting list and on top of that they are the cheapest and provide all the tools i would need.

Their next intake is May 2015....Darn i don't wanna wait that long but US$50 for a year of training plus tools and certification is fantastic, better that US$550 no tools 6-7 months training plus certification.

Lilmama1011

I'm going to pay the enrollment tomorrow. She said the classes are filling up quick for October so I have to get in there or take night classes

bronzephoenix

Right now or at least in the recent 5 years. How was it? Tedious? Rewarding? Fun? What was your tuition like? I'm going to be going this fall but looking at schools now. The school I toured today t wants 18,400. I'm going for styles, cut, color, and might do braiding. Any advice please insert in here: ) Thanks in advance

2013 Cosmo Grad here :)

•It was a bit of everything.
• My tuition was close to that mentioned above. •The cosmetology program will cover everything you want to do and even some things you aren't interested in including nails, skincare & makeup. •Be advised; location & demographics will determine how much or how little you will learn about black/textured hair care/styling.
•The hours are what you make of them.
•Don't be afraid to do the things you aren't good at, this is your time for error!
•Form good habits early (sanitation & disinfection especially).
•You'll be surrounded by young girls. LOTS of young girls. Keep your head above the drama that is guaranteed to happen. •Understand that the beauty industry is always growing and changing, when school ends new (salon) learning will begin.
•When you start you'll be SO excited. By the end?! It'll feel like you're serving time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Depending on your state you don't have to go to cosmetology school at all. If you work at a salon that has a senior cosmologist then they will give you credit hours (they just sign a paper that says you've worked for the required number of hours) then you go take the state board test. As long as you have the skills to pass the test then you become licensed cosmologist & instead of paying tuition to a school you will getting paid while you work in a salon & hopefully building clientele at the same time.

I personally wouldn't recommend this. There is theory that is taught in the classroom that you won't get in the field nor is tested on state board that a cosmetologist needs to know in order not to get sued. Working in 1 salon will not get a person the exposure needed to be a successful stylist.

I got my license a few years ago from a Paul Mitchell school. I worked on all races of hair and recommend going to a school that is diverse. You'll learn so much more about hair when you go to a more diverse school. It was one of the best things I did and I don't have shy regrets about it. Good luck and enjoy yourself!!

Lilmama1011

I'm thinking about how they said we can get our hair done free, there and I shudder. I don't want to come off at stuck up, but when I start school, I will be like 7 weeks post. I comb my hair carefully and don't see tons of hair in the comb. I don't need someone asking me when was the last time I relaxed and it's time to get one. I an afraid I will go off and see a lot of hair in the comb

Evolving78

I'm thinking about how they said we can get our hair done free, there and I shudder. I don't want to come off at stuck up, but when I start school, I will be like 7 weeks post. I comb my hair carefully and don't see tons of hair in the comb. I don't need someone asking me when was the last time I relaxed and it's time to get one. I an afraid I will go off and see a lot of hair in the comb
you might find a classmate that has some skills. I used to get my hair done at school and it was gravy. I was natural at the time too. I went to Paul Mitchell for skin, and went to another school in Indiana for hair.

Lilmama1011

you might find a classmate that has some skills. I used to get my hair done at school and it was gravy. I was natural at the time too. I went to Paul Mitchell for skin, and went to another school in Indiana for hair.

shortdub78 I hope so. Because they won't understand that I don't use shampoo but once a month, wash in sections and comb through slippery conditioner under running water before deep conditioning. I know no one isn't go to sit there and apply my conditioner relaxer style like I do. I want every strand treated the same way!

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78 I hope so. Because they won't understand that I don't use shampoo but once a month, wash in seconds and comb through slippery conditioner under running water before deep conditioning. I know no one isn't go to sit there and apply my conditioner relaxer style like I do. I want every strand treated the same way!
that's how you learn in school to apply relaxer. We would use cholesterol conditioner and practice on the mannequin. Now the conditioner thing is something else, but the attitude is different with a student vs an experience cosmetologist. The student is more eager to please and listen.

Lilmama1011

that's how you learn in school to apply relaxer. We would use cholesterol conditioner and practice on the mannequin. Now the conditioner thing is something else, but the attitude is different with a student vs an experience cosmetologist. The student is more eager to please and listen.

Hopefully I find a good one, because I will get my hair done by her continously. When black people do my hair, it tangles terribly and comes out and then they asked when the last time I had a relaxer. When I do it at home it doesn't do that, even with 3 months of new growth. I don't want a black person doing my hair but then I don't want anyone else who isn't use to our hair. We have a ethnic mannequin but her hair texture is like Hispanic loose curls. Not like mine at all

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Bumping. I love doing hair and would like to have reneice like skills and focus on healthy hair. I would love to be a lhcf approved stylist in NY lol! I'm going to see the school closest to me and take a tour tomorrow

Lilmama1011

Bumping. I love doing hair and would like to have reneice like skills and focus on healthy hair. I would love to be a lhcf approved stylist in NY lol! I'm going to see the school closest to me and take a tour tomorrow

Napp good luck. I hope you like it.