Summer Bun Challenge

bluenvy

Joining!
Level 2: Star Level
I like my hair up off my shoulders during summer, I get aggy/hot and bothered. Five days out the week will be perfect, since I like to let my hair free now and later

Starting length: Grazing APL
Goal length: Grazing BSL
Bun regimen: Wash & Dc weekly, m/s bun using hair pins. Co wash mid week m/s bun.
Why you want to join this thread: Keep my ends protected for majority of summer months. Also keep length I have now plus more

krissyhair

You too krissyc39. I'm glad you joined the challenge.

On another note, it's only Tuesday and I have already worn three days worth of my protective style.

Maybe the rest of this week I can wear it out somehow and enjoy it.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I'm either going to blow dry and bun or braid my hair overnight and bun. I need to keep my hair as stretched as possible to avoid SSK's & extreme matting. I need to figure this out before it gets super hot here.

krissyhair

Thank you!!

I started with a braidout
- put hair in really loose ponytail
-fold the hair back and tuck it into the part of the ponytail close to the scalp (if that makes sense)
- I place a bobby pin through the rubber band and secure it

There are alot of videos on YouTube that can probably explain it better than me, it's really easy

I copied your method today. It came out really well.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im doing entry level
Starting length: apl
End of challenge goal: bsl
Regimen-bun daily, cowash monthly, moisturize and seal as needed

Yesterday's bun

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1402443178726.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1402443178726.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 147

krissyhair

[USER=406999]Prettymetty[/USER];20192621 said:
Im doing entry level
Starting length: apl
End of challenge goal: bsl
Regimen-bun daily, cowash monthly, moisturize and seal as needed

Yesterday's bun
That's only APL? Dang your bun is huge. I'll put your name on the challenge list as soon as I can get to a computer.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Thanks for adding me krissyhair. Yeah I have big hair. Im a 4b natural so my hair grows out not down. Hopefully this challenge will get me to bsl (fingers crossed)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got a bottle of Vo5 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner today. Anything by Vo5 is great for my cowashes and detangling sessions

krissyhair

I got a bottle of Vo5 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner today. Anything by Vo5 is great for my cowashes and detangling sessions

I just got through a bottle of that same conditioner. It works well, but by the end of it I was tired of lime scent.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I washed and braided my hair on Sunday & bunned all week. I was inspecting my ends today and I found some SSK's. I think I'm going to have to blow dry then bun or use a fine tooth comb while braiding/twisting.

I think I'm going to invest in some grease to help my ends & edges lay flat.

krissyhair

[USER=125987]SlimPickinz[/USER];20209223 said:
Those really work, the spin pins?

Yes they work. I love them! There is a short version too in case you want to style part or half of your hair too.

Fenaxa

I'm seeing this kinda late but I'd love to join! I have pretty much been living in buns for quite a while now and it's so fun.

LEVEL: Platinum; I pretty much already do this but lately I might've worn my hair out a couple of times lol. I plan on keeping it up in buns 24/7 though.
STARTING LENGTH: I'm about BSB (nape), SL- almost grazing APL at the crown.
GOAL LENGTH: By the end of this summer, I hope to be 1.5" richer and touch APL from my crown and have my nape staring at BSL:lol:
REGIMEN Once per week mud wash (after this detox period) with diluted vinegar, moisturize with shea butter and seal with Sunflower and Safflower oil. I'll find out what truly works for me this summer since I finally broke down and ordered that Komaza analysis, so my regimen might change.
WHY I'M JOINING: Since I'll be in buns all the time, I can minimize potential damage to my hair from manipulation until I find out what really works for me. Summer will be a learning experience.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Welcome Fenaxa!

I went to the beach today and it was super windy, so I pulled my hair into a ballerina bun and secured it with my daughter's little elastic bands. Then I put a scarf on top. That wind wasn't no joke lol

Eta pics: before the beach...during...and after the wind attacked :lol:

Attachments

• 20140616_121828.jpg
    20140616_121828.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20140616_161528.jpg
    20140616_161528.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20140616_201323.jpg
    20140616_201323.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My brother gave me a gift card to Target so I got some more spin pins and ouchless bands. I have already lost some of the spin pins I bought last time :(
I got a new dc and leave in also. Can't wait to try them out

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I bought some goody mini spin pins for my buns. I also got a bunch of the little claw clips

Those really work, the spin pins?

I LOVE the goody spin pins!! They're the only pins I use for my buns now. I have the mini pins and the full size pins. When my hair was closer to SL/BSB, the mini pins were great for my mini buns. Now that I'm past APL, I moved up to the full size pins and love them. I stalk my local Walgreens for them because they tend to have BOGOF sales on them and I clean up.
I have some in my bathroom, living room, purse, my car, and my best friend's car...that's how much I love them :lol:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I LOVE the goody spin pins!! They're the only pins I use for my buns now. I have the mini pins and the full size pins. When my hair was closer to SL/BSB, the mini pins were great for my mini buns. Now that I'm past APL, I moved up to the full size pins and love them. I stalk my local Walgreens for them because they tend to have BOGOF sales on them and I clean up.
I have some in my bathroom, living room, purse, my car, and my best friend's car...that's how much I love them :lol:
Me too! I have the mini and the full size. I keep them all over the place. Never know when I will need to pull up my hair. Earlier today I googled "spin pin hairstyles" and it inspired me to do today's bun.

Attachments

• 20140619_174304.jpg
    20140619_174304.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 108

Pennefeather

I'm joining! This is my new style. I have bunned for the last 21 days, and plan to continue through the summer - at least through Labor Day.

Level
Three -Gold

Starting Length
Touching shoulder

Goal
Add two inches by Labor Day

Daily Regimen
Spray w leavin, add moisturizer, and bun
No comb, just fingers
Every other night apply Green Magic to scalp, and massage
LOC
Scarf at night

Weekly Regimen
Prepoo, wash, deep condition damp bun

why I'm joining
To have support while minimizing my manipulation, and see real length retention

I'm very excited, and will try to post often.

KERC1974

I'm in!

Level 4 - Platinum

Starting length - Bra strap

Goal - To reach mid-back or retain at least 3 inches by September.

Regimen - Co-wash 2-3x / week, Deep condition 1x / week, shampoo 1x / per month, leave-in, fenugreek tea and essential oil spritz, moisturize and LOC every other day, wet bun, henna 1x / month, finger detangle as much as possible.

Joining this challenge because bunning is a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to protective style. I currently bun 4-5 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

SimJam

I'm ready I'm ready:yay:

Level of Participation
Star level

Starting Length
Im not sure, not yet APL

Goal Length
Full APL

Regimen
Poo wash 1xper month
Co-cleanse 2X/month
Deep condition 3X/month
Protein treatment 2X/month

medium heat blow dry, twist then bun
sometimes I may skip the blow out but I find it keeps the SSKs at bay ... what to do what to do !!!!

Why I'm Joining
haven't joined a challenge in a long time and I've given up on length challenges so I'll stick to style and any other challenge that I think would be fun

Bun is from an old twistout that Ive been rocking for the past week

Attachments

• bun comp.jpg
    bun comp.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

krissyhair

Hi girls. I'm not ignoring you, just waiting to put you in the thread. Thanks for joining. This challenge is getting big!

Miss617

Always left of center
I've been debating about joining, but I see no reason to at least give it a shot. So I'm in for star level.

Starting length: BSB
End of challenge goal: 2 inches
Reason for joining: I'm transitioning and this is the only style I'm really comfortable with right now. I also think my hair does better when I leave it alone as much as possible.
Regimen: Still figuring this out, but at least washing weekly for now. DC, protein and all that other stuff is TBD.

prettybyrd

I bunned my hair today and I think I'll keep this bun for the weekend - refreshing my edges as needed. I'm getting hair lazy so this challenge comes in handy. :lol: