Naturally Flexible Support Thread

sgold04

I just read this entire thread. After reading about people's issues with reversion I worry a bit about going natural. I workout 5-6 times a week and I'm not going to give that up. My roots revert now but my lengthy stays straight. But most of my length is texlaxed. I'm worried that when I'm 100% natural I may not be able to deal with the frizz. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
My length stays straight when I work out, only about an inch or so reverts, if that. I wear my hair in a high, semi-tight ponytail, and use a moisture-wicking head band. Once I'm done working out, I put a silk scarf around my head while it's still in a pony while my hair dries so the front and sides remain flat.

sgold04

I was supposed to wash my hair today, I'll be out of the country for a week, but I was too lazy. So I just sprayed my straight hair with water, applied kckt, evoo, and SM curl enhancing smoothie, twisted, the used flexi rods at the end. My hair held up pretty well with TMS, so I'd use it again, I just wish my hair was more silky, which it always is when professionally done. I used the chi G2 for the first time, it's not tourmaline, so maybe that's the problem. I didn't go above 390 degrees. I won't be straightening for a loooong time, maybe the holidays, but I may blow it out more often, when humidity permits.

GettingKinky

My length stays straight when I work out, only about an inch or so reverts, if that. I wear my hair in a high, semi-tight ponytail, and use a moisture-wicking head band. Once I'm done working out, I put a silk scarf around my head while it's still in a pony while my hair dries so the front and sides remain flat.
That sounds like it might work for me. I'll have to try it next time I get my hair flat ironed. My roots have already reverted this time.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i did a deep treatment yesterday with Hairveda Methi Sativa two step....i combine the two products and put them on at the same time. i chelated first and then put the treatment on and a turban for about 2 hours.

my hair feels like different hair! i was even able to undo a big spider sized knot of hair that got tangled after i chelated! i have been deep conditioning and deep treating for YEARS and it STILL amazes me how different the hair is after these treatments are applied. my curls pop, the shine is ridiculous and the frizz is kept at bay much better. yesssssssssssssssssss!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
This is day 8 of my blowout and my hair is still light and full of movement. I moisturize every other day with Kerastase Discipline Keratine Thermique. I'm tempted to go over my reverted roots, but I know that is a big no no :nono2:

Last edited:

GettingKinky

@sgold04 where do you get your moisture wicking headbands. I need to get one before my next flatiron appointment in July.

Despite my workouts my flatiron is surviving pretty well. It's been 6 days and I'm still wearing it down.

GettingKinky

My roots were so puffy that my hair was looking like a bad wig. So, inspired by @sgold04, I treated my edges the same way I do when I wear a bun. I moisturized them using the LOC method and then tied them down with a silk scarf. They look so much better and the wiggy look is gone. I'm so happy. :yay:

I think I may be able to wear my hair straight from time to time and still exercise. I'm on day 7 and still going strong.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Day 10 and I'm ready to throw in the towel. My roots are super poofy, but my ends are still light and smooth.

I do have a deluxe sample set of Kerastase Therapiste (prepoo, shampoo, mask and serum). I might just wash my hair with the new stuff and wear a wig til my next appt.

Evolving78

I was supposed to wash my hair today, I'll be out of the country for a week, but I was too lazy. So I just sprayed my straight hair with water, applied kckt, evoo, and SM curl enhancing smoothie, twisted, the used flexi rods at the end. My hair held up pretty well with TMS, so I'd use it again, I just wish my hair was more silky, which it always is when professionally done. I used the chi G2 for the first time, it's not tourmaline, so maybe that's the problem. I didn't go above 390 degrees. I won't be straightening for a loooong time, maybe the holidays, but I may blow it out more often, when humidity permits.
It's the temp. If your would turn it up a bit more, you would get the results like the salon.

havilland

Ok thanks! I was afraid of heat damage, but my hair reverted back fully, plus I used a lot of heat protectant, so I should be ok to turn it up the next go round.
I'm not sure what you mean by a lot of heat protectant...but i would use it sparingly or it has the reverse effect. Too much product = yucky flat iron

Test a strand of your hair on a higher temp and see how it works out. I use 400-410 with no problem. But I use ONE PASS. Any more than that and I'm risking heat damage.

Rae81

I have been thinking about cutting my hair shorter and I really want it cut while its curly. I have been searching for natural stylist in my area that have reviews. I'm so afraid that whoever I choose will mess it up. Also my curls are so tight so I have to make sure the cut will look right with my curls. My fear is i get it cut and shaped then my hair shrink up to a twa lol.

GettingKinky

Whenever I wear my hair down I usually get comments from a lot of people saying how much they love my hair. Today I was talking with a coworker (Asian) who just started wearing her hair up. She said she was inspired by me ( I wear my hair up 99% of the time). She said I always look so neat and that she thinks I look better with my hair up.

I totally agree. My hair looks better down, but I look better with it up.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My blowout survived a week of rain, but didn't stand a chance against the humidity today. Go figure. Luckily only 1/2 inch of my roots have reverted.

I ain't getting it done again til next week so I will be bunning until then.

havilland

I think I found a new holy grail product. Tea Tree Tingle by Trader Joes.

I used it as a co wash before and thought it was fine. Nothing to write home about.

I tried it as a leave in recently and I am oh so impressed! My curls are popping and shiny AND my hair is touchably soft. That was always the missing link for me. I can get my curls to pop (after 3 years of trying) but they aren't touchable. If I break the gel cast, then my hair frizzes. I don't know...my wash n go struggles are real. That's all I can say.

Well I left in some TJTTT and my hair is so touchable and soft. I hope this isn't a fluke.

My hair looks the same as it always does. But it feels like heaven!

The second pic is after I scrunched out the crunch.
(I don't know why the pics posted twice???)

Even second day wake up in the morning my hair is soft and controlled. Mama is happy today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 49

havilland

Deep conditioning twice a week now and my hair is loving it! :clap:
Twice a week took my hair to a different level! Ain't it the truth! I need to go back to twice a week. When I was transitioning I deep conditioned twice a week religiously. That's how I was able to transition for two years

havilland

Is anyone revamping their regimen?

Now that my hair is longer and the ends are older I feel like I need to protect the ends and preserve them.

I am planning to use more natural homemade products and also I am going to start oil rinsing with every weekly co wash to seal in moisture.

I am adding the following natural products into my routine or back into my routine:
Aloe Vera juice - spritz and final rinse
ACV - scalp treatment
Rose hip oil - add to deep conditioner
Nettle - add to deep conditioner or make hair tonic
Essential oils (peppermint and rosemary) - add to daily spritz, add to deep conditioner, add to final aloe rinse

Last year I co washed daily in an effort to take my hair to the next level and it worked like gangbusters. So I am once again changing my regimen to encourage more growth and retention.

I am also going to go back to hair journaling. I have not journaled since I stopped transitioning. I am going back to keeping records so that I can work on project waistlength. I want LONGER HAIR!

I included a pic of second day hair after utilizing my new regimen.

Sooooo that's what I'm doing. What r y'all up to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 43

Adiatasha

Is anyone revamping their regimen?

Now that my hair is longer and the ends are older I feel like I need to protect the ends and preserve them.

I am planning to use more natural homemade products and also I am going to start oil rinsing with every weekly co wash to seal in moisture.

I am adding the following natural products into my routine or back into my routine:
Aloe Vera juice - spritz and final rinse
ACV - scalp treatment
Rose hip oil - add to deep conditioner
Nettle - add to deep conditioner or make hair tonic
Essential oils (peppermint and rosemary) - add to daily spritz, add to deep conditioner, add to final aloe rinse

Last year I co washed daily in an effort to take my hair to the next level and it worked like gangbusters. So I am once again changing my regimen to encourage more growth and retention.

I am also going to go back to hair journaling. I have not journaled since I stopped transitioning. I am going back to keeping records so that I can work on project waistlength. I want LONGER HAIR!

I included a pic of second day hair after utilizing my new regimen.

Sooooo that's what I'm doing. What r y'all up to?

How do you style with daily washing?
My hair still frizzed. I guess that's a sign that I need more moisture. Sigh. How do I get maximum moisture when I work M-F?

I attached a pic of my hair when it's wet
See how there is drizzling at the roots?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 40

havilland

How do you style with daily washing?
My hair still frizzed. I guess that's a sign that I need more moisture. Sigh. How do I get maximum moisture when I work M-F?

I attached a pic of my hair when it's wet
See how there is drizzling at the roots?

I would say that you need to experiment with new products....your curls are beautiful! but I see what you mean about frizz. Your roots look thirsty to me.

Here are some techniques you can try:

• Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted with water) as a final rinse to seal the cuticle after you wash and condition

• Cold Water Final Rinse - again to seal the cuticle

• Oil Rinse - use about a quarter size drop of oil and rub it through your hair and rinse it out to seal in moisture

• Aloe Vera Rinse - use pure aloe after you wash and condition and rinse it out before applying leave ins. helps restore the hair.

• Hot Oil treatment- mix up some oils and warm them and let them sit on dry hair under a baggie and turban for several hours. rinse and cleanse as usual in afterwards

• Daily cowashing

• Spritz your hair with water (filtered) and seal with a dab of oil before bedtime

• Try a clarifying shampoo then a deep moisturizing conditioner to get all old product off the hair and start fresh

• Experiment with a new product line. Your products may be the problem.
  • Get rid of a common ingredient in your current products and see if that helps...for example, if you use products with silicone, stop. or if you use products with glycerin, stop. Shea butter, stop. OR add in one of these ingredients and see if it helps.

Don't try all these at once. Try incorporating one and step up your game for a month and see how it goes.

Shelew

I think I found a new holy grail product. Tea Tree Tingle by Trader Joes.

I used it as a co wash before and thought it was fine. Nothing to write home about.

I tried it as a leave in recently and I am oh so impressed! My curls are popping and shiny AND my hair is touchably soft. That was always the missing link for me. I can get my curls to pop (after 3 years of trying) but they aren't touchable. If I break the gel cast, then my hair frizzes. I don't know...my wash n go struggles are real. That's all I can say.

Well I left in some TJTTT and my hair is so touchable and soft. I hope this isn't a fluke.

My hair looks the same as it always does. But it feels like heaven!

The second pic is after I scrunched out the crunch.
(I don't know why the pics posted twice???)

Even second day wake up in the morning my hair is soft and controlled. Mama is happy today.

Is it a conditioner? Does the conditioner make your hair itchy leaving it in? I tried many years ago and it did so I have not revised leaving conditioner in. But I see so many saying they use conditioner as a leave in with no problems. I have been tempted with Jioco moisturizing cond but each time I rinse it out but I love the way it looks with it in.

I tried Jane Carter invigorating creamy leave in last night on old hair not just washed on a braid out and it is super soft and moisturized. Not sure how it will hold up to heat and humidity because I have not left the house yet. Probably will be a puff ball by the time I get back lol!