AALIYAHS Hair Regimen (What do you think)

melissa-bee

I know black people can have small noses you don't need to inform me.

And I've seen pictures with an obvious difference, I'm looking for them now.

melissa-bee

This was her nose in childhood

Is this not the nose she had

Compared to the the other pictures which make it look smaller and straighter.

It could be make up and lighting that made her nose look different, I don't know. But it looks like she had a good nose job that suits her.

nathansgirl1908

I'll toss a respectful disagreement out there as well.

If somebody showed up on this board today with waist length bone straight natural hair and claimed that they heat trained with a marcel iron (uncontrolled heat source) with enough frequency to sustain the style in a career where they dance on stage under hot lights, walk the red carpet under hot lights and you never see as much as a crinkle of reversion, I KNOW what the response would be.

This is not about believing whether or not a black woman can have long hair. This is about whether I believe that someone could singe their hair on a consistent basis and still retain the amount of length and all signs including occams razor point to uh-uh.

Is anyone making that argument though? Aaliyah said herself that she used weaves for thickness and to protect her hair from heat. So yeah, she did use weaves from time to time. That's not really being disputed.

It always amazes me how even on a hair board with women who have long hair, Black women still assume weaves as a default when they see another Black woman with long hair.

Kurlee

This was her nose in childhood

Is this not the nose she had

Compared to the the other pictures which make it look smaller and straighter.

It could be make up and lighting that made her nose look different, I don't know. But it looks like she had a good nose job that suits her.
looks like the same nose and "I AM MUSIC" was a track she was on, very late in her career (close to death), so it doesn't make sense that her nose went from childhood, to straight and then back to the childhoodish nose. Contouring/angles vs. head on shots.

sigh . . . . black folks and their issues:spinning:. First the hair CAN'T be real, because the sky will fall down, then she's mixed, no her nose too straight, so she got a nose job.:drunk: I didn't know it was still 1902.

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
It's like, who is black in America and not mixed with something? Really....why do we have to give so many outdated, self hating excuses for why some people have long hair and some don't? Sheesh.

Kurlee

It's like, who is black in America and not mixed with something? Really....why do we have to give so many outdated, self hating excuses for why some people have long hair and some don't? Sheesh.
That's what I'm saying. It's like her hair can' t be real cuz she's black, but at the same time, she HAS to be mixed? What is it? The complexion? I'm so lost on all this foolishness.

Kurlee

Is anyone making that argument though? Aaliyah said herself that she used weaves for thickness and to protect her hair from heat. So yeah, she did use weaves from time to time. That's not really being disputed.

It always amazes me how even on a hair board with women who have long hair, Black women still assume weaves as a default when they see another Black woman with long hair.
THANKS!!!! It's like no matter what we see and learn to the contrary, the ignorance has a vice grip on us.

Junebug D

Who cares? She isn't the first black girl to have long, straightened hair and she wasn't the last. I believe most of it was hers. Her hair was thick, always had a nice length, and her grandma had thick, long hair. Some people are just blessed with hair that can withstand heat. And when Aaliyah was alive, the internet and papz weren't everywhere taking pictures of her every single day like they do Rihanna and Lady Gaga and Beyonce; sneaking shots on the beach and everywhere. We don't know what her hair looked like during her downtime.

Leigh

Aaliyah wore tracks at times as a protective style. She also wore braids and put her hair in ponytales during her down time. The relaxers broke her hair off so bad that she got it trimmed/cut and began growing it out. When she performed she wore a weave and at times a wig.

She said, as we already know and as many other celebrities have said, that the heavy styling is hard on the hair. So for the most part, with a few exceptions, she began wearing weaves when performing. It allowed her own hair to look great for appearances and events. And she was natural. Folks were all up in her head and all she said was I ain't got no perm (in a playful tone). (this was at an appearance in my city about a year before she died)

Calia001

Aaliyah had my goal length. I adored her so much. I'm not getting into the track debate because as other posters mentioned: unless your a card carrying member here, your hair is a lace front with tracks in the back with strand by strands added for fullness. For example Rhianna how is it not obvious that her vacation hair is growing from her scalp?

Sent from my LG-P999 using LG-P999

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Off topic: but you know she really was ahead of her time-remember she was doing that dark almost gothic type style infused with RnB on the "Aaliyah" album? Now who do you know that used this to blow her career up? I've always had an affinity towards that stuff as a kid and that is why I liked her...she just had a cool style from her music and clothing. And lets not forget she was very intelligent. She was a really a good role model as far as musicians go for my generation.

Last edited:

Geminigirl

Aaliyah was definitely mixed.
Mixed with what? Do you mean something more than most black people from America who have some Indian (Native American) blood and some white blood somewhere in their background.
Aaliyah wasn't mixed as in bi racial but I remember hearing she had a white grandmother. Also when she died they released behind the scene footage of her on the trip to do music videos, and her stylist was there he ran his fingers through her hair and said it was real and how he took care if it. I recorded this BET special on VHS I wish I still had It. Anyways her hair was frizzy that day from humidity. It wasn't thick or super big but it was poofy. I believe she had a nice length and added hair for thickness AND length in the back.

Weaves of yge nineties were horrid. Remember Pam and Gina? Pam usually always had a broken off patch I'm the back with the extra shiny French roll or ponytail and her sideburns. And Gina and her apple head LOL just no ma'am

Sent from my LG-LW690 using LG-LW690

Geminigirl

Aaliyah had my goal length. I adored her so much. I'm not getting into the track debate because as other posters mentioned: unless your a card carrying member here, your hair is a lace front with tracks in the back with strand by strands added for fullness. For example Rhianna how is it not obvious that her vacation hair is growing from her scalp?

Sent from my LG-P999 using LG-P999

Yes! And health too. Who didn't want that side swoop that she made so famous and sexy. I always wanted thy damn bang as a relaxed head.

Sanity

Cosmetologist
Mixed with what? Do you mean something more than most black people from America who have some Indian (Native American) blood and some white blood somewhere in their background.

Aaliyah's Grandmother was Native American.. But who's race has not been intergrated with another?? She was/ is still Black... :look:

PinkGirlFluff

Anybody can grow hair long as long as they are healthy. She had amazing hair and judging by her looks, she took really good care of herself. Regardless of ethnicity her hair was always very healthy looking. Even if she was biracial I know biracial kid with fros bigger and more kinky than my own. Racial make up does not always mean this or that when it comes to hair. Besides I have a homegirl that does not relax and her hair is not as long as Aaliyah's but the texture looks the same. She's heat trained.

lesedi

All is well with me
Why do we have to rock the boat about her race? We keep going back and forth......We need a resolution. That's all I will say on this subject. I'm not trying to write a 4 page letter.
If you all still want to get up in her phenotype/genotype, then don't know what to tell ya

Kurlee

Aaliyah wasn't mixed as in bi racial but I remember hearing she had a white grandmother. Also when she died they released behind the scene footage of her on the trip to do music videos, and her stylist was there he ran his fingers through her hair and said it was real and how he took care if it. I recorded this BET special on VHS I wish I still had It. Anyways her hair was frizzy that day from humidity. It wasn't thick or super big but it was poofy. I believe she had a nice length and added hair for thickness AND length in the back.

there's a pic of her grandmother in one of her albums and she is a beautiful black woman. Why are folks reaching and speculating? It's hard to believe that a beautiful light skinned woman with long hair is black? Everyone you see in her family is black, including the Hankersons and people trying to reach back to grandparents? Lawd:perplexed

The joke is we saw the pics of the Kardashians gettting weave SEWN into their heads and no one brings it up in their 10,000 threads.

Last edited:

Sanity

Cosmetologist
Back to the subject! She had beautiful hair!!

Attachments

• aa8675.jpg
    aa8675.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 257
  • aa97576.jpg
    aa97576.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 245
  • imagesC643674N8.jpg
    imagesC643674N8.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 240

beans4reezy

Every year since her death, I try and ignore the anniversary because I don't want to miss her. Big mistake coming into this thread....this thread, really makes me miss her. She was gone way too soon....

And please with the Beyonce, Rhianna, Ciara, Brandy, and Monica comparisons...Aaliyah had a depth and sensuality to her that I have yet to see mimicked.

tdwillis

Funny how people are talking about her hair length and if she wore tracks, but if she had a choice to return to this earth for a little while longer (especially given how she died), her hair length would probably be the last thing on her mind.

10WordzOrLess

Why do we have to rock the boat about her race? We keep going back and forth......We need a resolution. That's all I will say on this subject. I'm not trying to write a 4 page letter.
If you all still want to get up in her phenotype/genotype, then don't know what to tell ya