quick indigo question? how long do you leave indigo on?

poookie

i searched for the answer but all i got was lots of threads about henndigo mixes.

for all of you guys that have done indigo and henna in 2 separate treatments:

i indigo-ed overnight last night, rinsed it out, let it air dry, left my hair alone for a few hours, and then applied indigo on top of everything about 2 hours ago. it's been on since then. i don't want to rinse it out too soon (Even though this stuff stinks to the high Heavens :lol:)

how long did you leave the indigo in your hair?
and were your results jet black?

thanks in advance :)

jamaraa

I've left it on anywhere from 2hrs to overnight. Most recently (3 days ago) I did an overnight. Yup, my hair has now gone from jet black to blue black! My henna greys are Irish red now (the indigo darkened the red deeply) ! LOL Indigo uptakes more each time you use it. IOW, yes, you can leave it on overnight and it not harm anything (or at least I didn't).

Catherine Cartwright-Jones claims indigo stops dying after 2 hrs, but my experience says no...not true.

BTW, I only do 2 steps...never hennidigo, so I know exactly what you're asking. If you can take the smell. go for it...let us know your results.

Last edited:

poookie

I've left it on anywhere from 2hrs to overnight. Most recently (3 days ago) I did an overnight. Yup, my hair has now gone from jet black to blue black! My henna greys are Irish red now (the indigo darkened the red deeply) ! LOL Indigo uptakes more each time you use it. IOW, yes, you can leave it on overnight and it not harm anything (or at least I didn't).

Catherine Cartwright-Jones claims indigo stops dying after 2 hrs, but my experience says no...not true.

BTW, I only do 2 steps...never hennidigo, so I know exactly what you're asking. If you can take the smell. go for it...let us know your results.

great!! thanks so much jamaraa, that definitely answers my question. i'll leave it on for a few more hours :)

jamaraa

You're welcome Pookie that was a very good question. LOL.. I just found this out by falling asleep w/ it in my hair and getting better color. An accidental discovery really. :)

jamaraa

Here's something else I've done...indigo loading, I call it. I've done a henna and then an indigo for about 2nrs. After rinsing out the indigo, I just conditioned for a bit and then did another indigo immediately afterwards. You can do this over maybe a 2 day period when the indigo will still cling to the henna. That's 1 henna= 2 indigos.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I 2 Step, I leave the Indigo on a minimum of 2 hours and maybe a maximum of 6 wrapped tigthly in Saran Wrap.

This usually does it for me, especially since I use Less Henna/more Indigo to get a darker stain and total grey coverage.

Interesting concept to do a 2nd Indigo Rx days after.

mshoneyfly

Indigo doesnt do anything without the stain from the henna first

ETA: Oh sorry, I misunderstood your question

Last edited:

deedoswell

IA - I've left mine on for hours...did housework...shopping...took a nap - came out with beautiful jet black. Now that I think about it it's time to do again!:yep:

MsDee14

The longest I left mine in for was 2.5 hours and my hair came out extremely black.
But it still wore off after 3 weeks.
So, tonight when I Henna & Indigo, I'm going to keep the Indigo in for up to 6 hours. If blue black hair is the result, then so bet it. I aint scurred.

Kurlee

i notice that my indigo wears off too. It used to be more "permanent" before, but now it seems to fade easily. What brand are you guys using?

grow

I use Zarqa and it really sticks for a long time.

I henndigo for about 2-4 hours.

splendid10

In my 2 step process I leave each on overnight. The last time I left the indigo on for about 4-6 hours and I did not get complete coverage.

lana

Ladies, Indigo is not dying the hair black (over my Henna). I haven't tried sleeping in it yet...but is that what I have to do?

I'm trying to cover a few grays in my bangs that frankly, I'm too young to have.

Please help!

BellaMarie

Ladies, Indigo is not dying the hair black (over my Henna). I haven't tried sleeping in it yet...but is that what I have to do?

I'm trying to cover a few grays in my bangs that frankly, I'm too young to have.

Please help!

Ive been doing henna and indigo for about a year. I get it from mehandi.com. i add salt to it so it stains better and sit under the dryer for about an hour.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Is indigo covering peoples' greys well enough? Is the general consensus that it makes them copper/brown? hmmm

Chameleonchick

I have used indigo to dye my hair black, I don't use a two step because I am lazy. I just make the henna and then add indigo after the henna has released its dye. Yes it covers grays. But not for long maybe 3-4 weeks.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Only if I use the two step process. Heendigo leaves me with copper/brown. But....I have a lot of strong resistant gray.
thanks Transformer. Mine are pretty resistant too.

I have "black henna" i picked up at the Indian market. I read that black henna is also indigo? If this is the case, I will do a 2-step tomorrow and defrost my leftover regular henna tonight.

Transformer

thanks @Transformer. Mine are pretty resistant too.

I have "black henna" i picked up at the Indian market. I read that black henna is also indigo? If this is the case, I will do a 2-step tomorrow and defrost my leftover regular henna tonight.

My understanding that no henna is black. I'm not sure I would be comfortable using that brand for fear that it is just plain ole hair dye instead of indigo.

I purchased mine from the site recommended by a lot LHCF members--Henna Sooq.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks. It is real BAQ powdered henna, though. I used it plain before and it turned my hair a rich mahogany by itself.

In any case, decided to PS instead of henna this weekend. Will go on an indigo hunt when my install is out.

Angelicus

I usually leave the indigo on for one hour before rinsing. My hair always comes out pitch black. LOVE IT!

xu93texas

I have used indigo to dye my hair black, I don't use a two step because I am lazy. I just make the henna and then add indigo after the henna has released its dye. Yes it covers grays. But not for long maybe 3-4 weeks.

I do this as well. It's too much to go through a two step process. Once I apply the henna/indigo mixture to hair, I'll leave it on for 2-3 hours. I can only get 3 weeks of gray coverage from my treatments.