Tomato juice for hair

katblack

I was looking for natural method for long hair, mostly herbal methods. Well, as I was looking through all the trash that usually pops up I noticed from yahoo answers. Someone was asking for natural ways to grow out their hair and this guy suggested leaving tomato juice in your hair for 30mins for growth. He went on to say that he was mexican/indian, whatever that means and that his mother and grandmother swear by it:ohwell:.
I want to try it, I dont think it will hurt. I will blend on 1/2 a tomato and mix it in with honey, cinnamon and olive oil, all very good for hair.
:yawn:
Very little that I do know about tomato is that it will lighten already light hair so caution oneself. Also it's good for balancing the hairs ph, good stuff:yep:

msa

Try it out and see.

I just came back from Walgreens and the Yes to Carrots line now has a product line called Yes to Tomatoes...it has shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. I bought the shower gel and lotion because it smelled good and it's mostly natural. I know the lycopene (I think that's what it's called) in tomatoes is supposed to be really great for your skin.

Report back on your findings!

ShaniKeys

My mother&sis told me that Angolan women do this too, I wanted to try it but they advised me not too, I don't know why. Please let us know how it works out for you.

katblack

Try it out and see.

I just came back from Walgreens and the Yes to Carrots line now has a product line called Yes to Tomatoes...it has shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, etc. I bought the shower gel and lotion because it smelled good and it's mostly natural. I know the lycopene (I think that's what it's called) in tomatoes is supposed to be really great for your skin.

Thanx for the incouragement, I will try it for sure. Lycopene is really good, it softens the skin and hair I believe.

katblack

My mother&sis told me that Angolan women do this too, I wanted to try it but they advised me not too, I don't know why. Please let us know how it works out for you.

I will. For the most part it should be safe, I'm wondering what would be more effective, tomato juice or paste?:ohwell:

Lucky's Mom

Try it out and see.

Hmm - The overripe tomatoes in the fridge - may not go to waste!!!

FindingMe

I have a natural beauty book, and it lists tomato juice (1 cup) as a natural hair rinse to remove odors from your hair (like smoke).

In this same section, it lists lemon juice (1c LJ + 1 cup H20 mixed brings back life and shine to dull hair), baking soda (1 TBSP + 1 Cup H20 removes residue), ACV (1/2 c + 2 c H20 mixed gives shine and bounce), and beer (1 can or bottle, even flat/stale, gives body) as natural rinses. So prolly has some merit.

It says to use after you shampoo as a final rinse. Then rinse your hair with the coolest water you can stand for at least one full minute after using any of these rinses.

msa

I have a natural beauty book, and it lists tomato juice (1 cup) as a natural hair rinse to remove odors from your hair (like smoke).

In this same section, it lists lemon juice (1c LJ + 1 cup H20 mixed brings back life and shine to dull hair), baking soda (1 TBSP + 1 Cup H20 removes residue), ACV (1/2 c + 2 c H20 mixed gives shine and bounce), and beer (1 can or bottle, even flat/stale, gives body) as natural rinses. So prolly has some merit.

It says to use after you shampoo as a final rinse. Then rinse your hair with the coolest water you can stand for at least one full minute after using any of these rinses.

I can attest to baking soda rinses removing residue. It's the only thing I use as shampoo now, cleans my scalp and hair. Others use it to clarify. It also make my hair a little more elongated and easier to detangle.

And, I know Nonie loves ACV rinses along with many other people on the board.

You can't go wrong with natural remedies, that's for sure.

FindingMe

I will. For the most part it should be safe, I'm wondering what would be more effective, tomato juice or paste?:ohwell:

I would try the juice as a rinse first. It just seems easier to work with. If you like it, then maybe work up to the paste...

kittenz

I don't know anything about this but I think I would go with a real tomato. The processed tomato juice or paste aren't as fresh and probably have additives. Who know's what they'll do to your hair. If the tomato is supposed to be beneficial then you might as well use the real deal and see if you like it. Stick it in the blender or food processor. JMO:rolleyes:

katblack

I don't know anything about this but I think I would go with a real tomato. The processed tomato juice or paste aren't as fresh and probably have additives. Who know's what they'll do to your hair. If the tomato is supposed to be beneficial then you might as well use the real deal and see if you like it. Stick it in the blender or food processor. JMO:rolleyes:

It's possible, actually highly likely, that lycopene is the cause of the hair growth because tomato has high levels of lycopene. Also lycopene is present at higher concentrations when the tomato is cooked or turned into a paste. I guess I will try both. (mind you the tomato paste will be organic..:grin:)

kittenz

It's possible, actually highly likely, that lycopene is the cause of the hair growth because tomato has high levels of lycopene. Also lycopene is present at higher concentrations when the tomato is cooked or turned into a paste. I guess I will try both. (mind you the tomato paste will be organic..:grin:)

Oh I see. Then I'd definitely go with the organic or cook it myself. Good luck.

Last edited: