Low Porosity Support Thread

faithVA

i have been cowashing only for the last two weeks. twice a week or so....co wash.

i deep condish on dry hair with heat and plastic cap. then instead of washing my hair, i just rinse out the condish, apply a very mild cleansing cream just to my hairline to remove any gel buildup. then oil rinse. next, i put my hair in a bun to air dry with my *triple seal moisture. so far i am seeing a difference for the better.

*(triple seal with shea raw moisture mist, olive oil or jojoba, and castor oil unpetroleum jelly)

Let us know how it goes over the next few weeks. Looks like you are cowashing and then using the LOC method. The LOC method does seem to work well for a lot of people.

mg1979

I've noticed three embarrassing hair occurrences that I attribute to my low porosity. First, let me say that my hair is so dry, I pretty much have to re-wet/moisturize every single morning. Three things that happen as a result:

1. My hair looks pretty good at home, still damp, get to work, some time during the day I go to the restroom to find that some or part of my hair is SOOOO DRYYYY, it looks like I didn't even try. :ohwell:
  2. My hair is damp, but dry enough, leave for work, sitting in a meeting, water starts dripping down the back of my neck. :drowning: Off to the bathroom to get some paper towels.
  3. My hair is again damp, looks fine in my mirror at home, get to driving to work, look in the car mirror (where you can see everything even those tiny hairs you thought you waxed), I can see little patches of white product. But worse, get to work, grab my two mirrors to see the back of my hair where it's twisted up in a clip, white product everywhere just sitting on my hair. Need to remember to look at the back at home. :wallbash: Again, off to the bathroom to grab paper towels to blot the rest of the product.
I try to dry it a little bit to avoid the last two, or leave it in a towel a bit-same thing. Is anyone else having these problems? Any tips? Any other embarrassing little mishaps due to your low porosity?

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];15840455]I've noticed three embarrassing hair occurrences that I attribute to my low porosity. First, let me say that my hair is so dry, I pretty much have to re-wet/moisturize every single morning. Three things that happen as a result:

1. My hair looks pretty good at home, still damp, get to work, some time during the day I go to the restroom to find that some or part of my hair is SOOOO DRYYYY, it looks like I didn't even try. :ohwell:
  2. My hair is damp, but dry enough, leave for work, sitting in a meeting, water starts dripping down the back of my neck. :drowning: Off to the bathroom to get some paper towels.
  3. My hair is again damp, looks fine in my mirror at home, get to driving to work, look in the car mirror (where you can see everything even those tiny hairs you thought you waxed), I can see little patches of white product. But worse, get to work, grab my two mirrors to see the back of my hair where it's twisted up in a clip, white product everywhere just sitting on my hair. Need to remember to look at the back at home. :wallbash: Again, off to the bathroom to grab paper towels to blot the rest of the product.
I try to dry it a little bit to avoid the last two, or leave it in a towel a bit-same thing. Is anyone else having these problems? Any tips? Any other embarrassing little mishaps due to your low porosity?

On this mishap days what are you putting on your hair that is making it damp?

And what product are you using when you have the white beads?

faithVA

@faithVA: Just wetting it with water and applying pretty much any product I ever use.

If you are wetting it with water but not locking it in well with the products afterwards, then yes I can see your hair being dry. If the water isn't sealed in properly then its going to evaporate and soon as the air hits it.

It sounds like your product combinations are fighting each other. Perhaps you are using something with cones or waxes that is causing the water to sit on the surface and just roll off.

Without your sharing products, can't say for sure. Because the products you use and the sequence you use them make a big difference.

The white beads are just from the product not absorbing into your hair. It's either too heavy a product, like something with shea butter. Or its a product being applied over something heavy so it can't soak in.

I've not had the first two because I rarely apply water to my hair after wash day. The 3rd one I've had. But once I realized why it was happening, I cut thick products with oil.

Evolving78

i think i am on my 3rd or fourth wash since my touchup and my hair is still doing pretty well with my new reggie and product combo. i used the CON Argan Oil shampoo and the Suave Almond and Shea/jojoba oil to dc with. i am sitting under my soft bonnet with the dc now. i am going to roller set and then flat iron my roots. using the leave-in, a watery/creamy moisturizer, then an oil is really helping my hair to stay soft and hydrated. plus i think dc'ing after washing is helping too. dc'ing on dry hair wasn't cutting it for me. plus having a shampoo with a lot of slip allows me to not have to prepoo anymore. so i have two shampoos now that i really like and one conditioner that seems to be doing the trick. i will spend my money on Aveda conditioner though one of these days.

it would have been nice to figure this out when i was natural. i was trying my best to stay away from certain commercial products and use a bunch of creams that were just sitting on my hair.

faithVA

[USER=2496 said:
shortdub78[/USER];15842019]i think i am on my 3rd or fourth wash since my touchup and my hair is still doing pretty well with my new reggie and product combo. i used the CON Argan Oil shampoo and the Suave Almond and Shea/jojoba oil to dc with. i am sitting under my soft bonnet with the dc now. i am going to roller set and then flat iron my roots. using the leave-in, a watery/creamy moisturizer, then an oil is really helping my hair to stay soft and hydrated. plus i think dc'ing after washing is helping too. dc'ing on dry hair wasn't cutting it for me. plus having a shampoo with a lot of slip allows me to not have to prepoo anymore. so i have two shampoos now that i really like and one conditioner that seems to be doing the trick. i will spend my money on Aveda conditioner though one of these days.

it would have been nice to figure this out when i was natural. i was trying my best to stay away from certain commercial products and use a bunch of creams that were just sitting on my hair.

I am glad you are working things out. It sounds like you are developing a susccessful regi.

mg1979

faithVA said:
If you are wetting it with water but not locking it in well with the products afterwards, then yes I can see your hair being dry. If the water isn't sealed in properly then its going to evaporate and soon as the air hits it.

It sounds like your product combinations are fighting each other. Perhaps you are using something with cones or waxes that is causing the water to sit on the surface and just roll off.

Without your sharing products, can't say for sure. Because the products you use and the sequence you use them make a big difference.

The white beads are just from the product not absorbing into your hair. It's either too heavy a product, like something with shea butter. Or its a product being applied over something heavy so it can't soak in.

I've not had the first two because I rarely apply water to my hair after wash day. The 3rd one I've had. But once I realized why it was happening, I cut thick products with oil.

Hmm...I read back through your posts in this thread. Are you just re-moisturizing with the AVJ + glycerin mix every morning without misting with water?

I cut down oils per my hair analysis recommendations, they were just sitting on my hair too. If the product is too thick, I would add distilled water before & now glycerin since this thread started.

Like I said it seems like any product I use, but to name some Shea Moisture, Giovanni 50:50, GVP balm, and this week trying Curls. I've tried as is, with oil added, with water added, & with glycerin added. There are others but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];15843499]Hmm...I read back through your posts in this thread. Are you just re-moisturizing with the AVJ + glycerin mix every morning without misting with water?

I cut down oils per my hair analysis recommendations, they were just sitting on my hair too. If the product is too thick, I would add distilled water before & now glycerin since this thread started.

Like I said it seems like any product I use, but to name some Shea Moisture, Giovanni 50:50, GVP balm, and this week trying Curls. I've tried as is, with oil added, with water added, & with glycerin added. There are others but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.

Yes I just spray with the AVG/glycerin. You can mix water with glycerin. But I rarely just spray water on my hair. It just has never worked. My hair always comes out drier for some reason.

I understand cutting out oils. If you do think of using oils, start with something like sunflower or grapeseed oil. They are light and tend to absorb well. And you only want to use a small amount per section.

And all of the products you mentioned sound very heavy. If you can put them on your hand and they don't slide or run, they are probably too heavy. You want to start paying attention to the first 3 ingredients. If its a butter, its going to be heavy. Waxes may be too much.

I can use the Shea Moisture Smoothie but for 8 oz of smoothie I have to add 8 oz of oil . The particles in a lot of the conditioners, butters and creams are too large for our cuticles to absorb.

mg1979

Yes I just spray with the AVG/glycerin. You can mix water with glycerin. But I rarely just spray water on my hair. It just has never worked. My hair always comes out drier for some reason.

I understand cutting out oils. If you do think of using oils, start with something like sunflower or grapeseed oil. They are light and tend to absorb well. And you only want to use a small amount per section.

And all of the products you mentioned sound very heavy. If you can put them on your hand and they don't slide or run, they are probably too heavy. You want to start paying attention to the first 3 ingredients. If its a butter, its going to be heavy. Waxes may be too much.

I can use the Shea Moisture Smoothie but for 8 oz of smoothie I have to add 8 oz of oil . The particles in a lot of the conditioners, butters and creams are too large for our cuticles to absorb.

faithVA: Thanks, particularly on the bolded...I never really would've thought of it that way. What brand of AVG are you using? Is it one that you have to refrigerate?

faithVA

[USER=105429 said:
mg1979[/USER];15847915]@faithVA: Thanks, particularly on the bolded...I never really would've thought of it that way. What brand of AVG are you using? Is it one that you have to refrigerate?

It's probably Lily of the Desert. I believe all true AVJ/AVG says to refrigerate. If it does say it has to be refrigerated, then it probably has other ingredients in it.

faithVA

I am moisturizing my hair with Sta Sof Fro this week. I am in box braids. So far so good. It feels softer. I will know more when I take my braids out.

faithVA

Not sure I would repeat this next week but its working for now. I did the following in my box braids on Saturday.

DCd with AO WC under plastic cap for 1 hr +.
Rinsed with warm water.
Moisturized with TW Mist Bodifier and baggied for 30 minutes
Reapplied TW Mist Bodifier

Took out each braid, moisturized with Mist Bodier, SM Yucca Leave-in.

Twisted with KCCC and sealed ends with shea butter.

My hair was soft and moisturized the next day. I put TW Mist Bodifier in my hands before grouping my twists into bantu knots.

The moisture has stayed with my hair so I will try some variation of this next wash day. I may skip the KCCC.

MaraWithLove

I doubt this has anything to do with low porosity, but I've noticed my hair feels more...awesome when I DC before washing. Lately I've been spritzing my hair and applying cheap conditioner to detangle and put my hair into twists to keep it sectioned. Then I take the twists out one by one and apply a nice amount of deep conditioner. If I plan to DC overnight I'll re-twist, but if I'm not then my hair's already nice and detangled and I just hop in the shower or go to the sink and co-wash my scalp. Then I proceed to add my leave-in and sealant: ta-da! Funny how a change of order can make a difference!

faithVA

I doubt this has anything to do with low porosity, but I've noticed my hair feels more...awesome when I DC before washing. Lately I've been spritzing my hair and applying cheap conditioner to detangle and put my hair into twists to keep it sectioned. Then I take the twists out one by one and apply a nice amount of deep conditioner. If I plan to DC overnight I'll re-twist, but if I'm not then my hair's already nice and detangled and I just hop in the shower or go to the sink and co-wash my scalp. Then I proceed to add my leave-in and sealant: ta-da! Funny how a change of order can make a difference!

Thanks for sharing that MaraWithLove. Others have had this same experience. I wonder why DCing first makes a difference. Maybe it helps other products absorb better. hmm. I will try this one day soon. Keep us posted.

faithVA

Ladies let's talk protein. We were talking about low porosity and Aubrey Organics GBP in one of the other threads. I have not had any success using any type of protein treatment or conditioner even the mild ones.

We each have different levels of protein sensitivity. I know some hair loves protein and some not so much. My hair gets quite angry with me when I try it.

What has worked for you ladies?

And what has not worked?

divachyk and judy4all, please remind me which protein products you were able to use successfully? tia

faithVA

So far I have not found anything to work for me. It is both a product problem and a frequency problem.

HydraThermal Naturals - too much protein for me.

Aphogee 2 minute - Caused my hair to shed more than it did before. Didn't think this was possible.

AO GPB - caused my hair to feel wiry and brittle. Lost an inch of my ends and dried my ends out horribly.

I have 3 bottles of the AO GPB :nono: I may try this again but maybe 1x every other month for the 10/15 minutes they say.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
faithVA and all, I use protein as directed. I don't let it stay on for periods longer than what's recommended on the bottle.

I can use the following in moderation without issues:
SSI Okra
Ion Effective Care
Joico Kpak

I didn't have luck with:
Aphogee 2 minute
Aphogee 2 Step

mg1979

faithVA: I'm like you. It seems I can't do protein at all without my hair getting angry. I usually avoid anything with protein unless it's at the lower end of the ingredient list and if it's silk protein. It seems like so much stuff has protein or something else I avoid like silicones.

divachyk

@faithVA have you tried various types of protein? Could you be sensitive to a particular type? Have you tried SAA or the silk dreams line. @divachyk any thoughts as well. I believe I am low porosity so I would appreciate your input.

mamaore, I don't make it a habit of testing out a variety of protein based products since low porosity hair tends to dislike frequent use of protein from what I've experienced and read. I feel it's a waste of money and progress to try out various proteins to find my hair may not like it.

I like using things that fall into the reconstructor category (lighter protein products) rather than doing deep protein treatments. My hair seems to do ok when using protein infrequently and in small doses.

I have tried products with SAA but not SAA directly. I like the Silk Dreams Line but haven't used a protein product from that line if I remember correctly.

I posted above what products my hair does good with. I try to use protein once a month. I find that I can wash with Joico Kpak shampoo frequently and do ok.

My hair does great with Kenra conditioner and it has wheat protein. Otherwise, I haven't analyzed proteins to a close enough degree to know which my hair likes or likes.

I tried the GPB the other day and didn't like how my hair felt at first but 24 hours later, it feel soft but strong. I'm not yet claiming this a must have item because I hated how my hair felt while air drying. I prefer my hair to feel fabulous at go, not 24 hours later.

faithVA

Thanks for the protein answers ladies. That was helpful. I may just stick to the yogurt and oil. I have tried it once and don't remember it causing an issue.

Ogoma

I have found I can incorporate a light protein 1x a week as a rinse out as well as henna every 4-6 weeks. I believe I am able to do this because I co-wash with moisture-heavy conditioners almost daily. I never leave protein conditioners on for longer than 5 or so minutes in the shower and don't steam/deep condition with protein. This regimen has kept my hair in the right balance.

My hair is both low porosity and medium-coarse.

FoxxyLocs

I think I may have low porosity. I've never done a strand test, but I have many of the symptoms.

-my hair takes a long time to get wet, even in the shower
-it also takes an extremely long time to dry - days
-product sitting on top of my hair - shea butter didn't work for me for this reason, it sat on my hair and made it sooooo greasy.
-extreme dryness - having to refresh my hair multiple times a day to keep it from feeling crispy

The only thing that I can't relate to is the relaxer part. My relaxers always took and my hair got bone straight with no problems - this part made me wonder if I'm not really LoPo?

Anyway, what worked for me to combat the dryness was using more water and water based products instead of oil based. I cut out any oil at all until recently, and now I use oil by adding it to my water based leave in, or using very small amounts on wet or damp hair. When I first went natural I would add water to any product I bought - conditioner, moisturizer, etc. - everything got diluted with water. I still dilute my conditioner, but I don't really use commercial moisturizers anymore.

My hair doesn't like protein, so I only use an egg added to my conditioner and follow with a moisturizing DC. I've also used yogurt and that worked fine as well. For me food is safer than commercial protein treatments.

mg1979 - I can totally relate to your post, especially the part about thinking your hair is dry and then having water running down your neck later. I solve this problem by leaving my towel on longer and trying to absorb as much moisture as I can before styling. You can also use a diffuser if you have time, but I usually don't.

faithVA

[USER=174670 said:
FoxxyLocs[/USER];15955491]I think I may have low porosity. I've never done a strand test, but I have many of the symptoms.

-my hair takes a long time to get wet, even in the shower
-it also takes an extremely long time to dry - days
-product sitting on top of my hair - shea butter didn't work for me for this reason, it sat on my hair and made it sooooo greasy.
-extreme dryness - having to refresh my hair multiple times a day to keep it from feeling crispy

The only thing that I can't relate to is the relaxer part. My relaxers always took and my hair got bone straight with no problems - this part made me wonder if I'm not really LoPo?

Anyway, what worked for me to combat the dryness was using more water and water based products instead of oil based. I cut out any oil at all until recently, and now I use oil by adding it to my water based leave in, or using very small amounts on wet or damp hair. When I first went natural I would add water to any product I bought - conditioner, moisturizer, etc. - everything got diluted with water. I still dilute my conditioner, but I don't really use commercial moisturizers anymore.

My hair doesn't like protein, so I only use an egg added to my conditioner and follow with a moisturizing DC. I've also used yogurt and that worked fine as well. For me food is safer than commercial protein treatments.

@mg1979 - I can totally relate to your post, especially the part about thinking your hair is dry and then having water running down your neck later. I solve this problem by leaving my towel on longer and trying to absorb as much moisture as I can before styling. You can also use a diffuser if you have time, but I usually don't.

You don't have to have every symptom to be low porosity. Even within the label low porosity we all have different levels of porosity which impacts our results.

For example I have the issue with the relaxers, but it doesn't take that long for my hair to get wet. And if my hair is loose it doesn't really take that long to dry. But we share commonality on products sitting on the hair, water based over oil based, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

faithVA

I have found I can incorporate a light protein 1x a week as a rinse out as well as henna every 4-6 weeks. I believe I am able to do this because I co-wash with moisture-heavy conditioners almost daily. I never leave protein conditioners on for longer than 5 or so minutes in the shower and don't steam/deep condition with protein. This regimen has kept my hair in the right balance.

My hair is both low porosity and medium-coarse.

Thanks Ogoma. I may try this with the GBP of putting it on in the shower, showering and then rinsing it out. And I think you are correct about cowashing helping you with the protein.

Ogoma

divachyk

I am using up my stash so I have used a number of them that have worked: AO GBP, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening, Live Clean Bali, and some other drugstore brands. They are all very light. I also use Darcy's Botanical Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, CJ Deep Fix, and Kyra's Conditioner because they act as protein conditioners (more strengthening) for my hair.

faithVA

I'm not doing much right now. I am trying the CG method so for the most part just using conditioner in my hair. My hair feels moisturized the day after with just the conditioner but I have a long way to go before I can say whether this really works for me. I am just starting my second week so will keep you posted.

divachyk

I read so much conflicting stuff about porosity that I paid for the Live Curly Live Free/Curl Wizard hair analysis to be sure. I don't know enough about high porosity to say why your description would not be high porosity, but it sounds like low porosity to me because of the underlined parts above. Basically the hair is so tightly compact that nothing is getting in: water, moisturizer, conditioner, relaxer. When I was relaxed, my scalp burned before the relaxer ever took.

One thing I noticed inconsistent characteristics regarding low porosity is on whether or not the hair dries fast or takes forever to dry. This is what I noticed and may be why people say different things. If I have product in my hair, it takes FOREVER TO DRY. But if there is no product in my hair, it dries WAY TOO FAST.
mg1979, my hair responds in the same manner regarding quick to dry without product but takes forever with product. I still say that I'm low porosity because my hair repels water. I attribute the fast drying to my hair never really being wet from the get go. The taking longer to dry with product, I attribute to my hair clumping together after applying product. So now, I separate the strands through finger combing continuously while air drying.