Shea Moisture Purification Mask Name Change Only??

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
AgeinATL

I read your post (while lurking at work). :look:

Right now, I can't even think of anything that is even remotely similar (which is why I had it in my Stash).

Unfortunately, I only have x1 Jar left.:wallbash:

Hoping these 2 from CVS will be the right one.:rolleyes:

It worked famously on dry hair to remove buildup etc......Definitely a Detox with the Clays etc....cleansed nicely

It was my 'go - to' for extremely heavy build up and the smell was decent.

It was so Multi-Functional. As a Pre-Poo, Detangler, Detox Rx etc....

We ALL Shall Be on the Hunt for a Suitable Replacement.:cry2:

veesweets

Whyyyyy?!

This is my warm weather favorite for co-cleansing. I can apply to dry dirty hair, rinse and have clean conditioned hair all in one step.

Right as the weather is changing they wanna switch it up? Come on now SM, stop playin! I waited all winter.

RUBY

I'm really disappointed to hear this. OP you've started something now... I'm gonna have to stock up on the original formula. I have a vision of me visiting many stores and spending way too much money.

SEMO

@Bibliophile

Yeah, that Pale Grey Goodness is Gone:nono:. And I Agree 110%.

It was the Flagship of the entire Line.:lick:

@SEMO

So Did mine yesterday when I first saw this Thread. :barf:

I'm glad OP Posted Pics so we could definitely see it has changed.:ohwell:

Hopefully, when I get mine from CVS it will be the Original Formula. Even the Name has Changed.:nono:

I started to stop by a couple CVS's in the Hood after work tonight close to the Job.

They always remove stuff 'late' in certain areas.:look: So, I need to start there.

Your review of the 'newer' one along with @Beachy will be interesting.:rolleyes:

We will be waiting.

IDareT'sHair

So I just went on the PJ stroll hunting for the purification masque (I was home sick today from work, but this was clearly an emergency). I went to my local Sally's, Target, CVS and Walgreens. Only my local Sally's had any (and luckily the old formula), so I grabbed the only 2 jars they had (and I had them check if there was any in the back).

All of the other places I went didn't even have a place on the shelf with a label for the purification masque (and now I can't remember if they ever did). But if I come across the new formula I'll pick up a jar for comparison. But at least I have 3 full jars now.

Side note:
This is the kind of stuff that makes people become PJ's in the first place (and I was just reforming my ways and dramatically reducing my stash). B/c I have no comparable substitute to put in its place. No 2nd place product that I like almost as much. I don't want to have to go on a hunt to replace this as my holy grail (if I don't like the new formula). :nono:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
So I just went on the PJ stroll hunting for the purification masque (I was home sick today from work, but this was clearly an emergency). I went to my local Sally's, Target, CVS and Walgreens. Only my local Sally's had any (and luckily the old formula), so I grabbed the only 2 jars they had (and I had them check if there was any in the back).

All of the other places I went didn't even have a place on the shelf with a label for the purification masque (and now I can't remember if they ever did). But if I come across the new formula I'll pick up a jar for comparison. But at least I have 3 full jars now.

Side note:
This is the kind of stuff that makes people become PJ's in the first place (and I was just reforming my ways and dramatically reducing my stash). B/c I have no comparable substitute to put in its place. No 2nd place product that I like almost as much. I don't want to have to go on a hunt to replace this as my holy grail (if I don't like the new formula). :nono:

SEMO :hug2:

I'm glad you checked around.:yep: And was able to snatch up x2 Jars:sekret:

I will look tomorrow close to work and see what they have left.:perplexed

The Walgreen's & CVS are right across the Street from each other, so I can hit them both up.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
SEMO IDareT'sHair
The sister company Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Strengthen & Grow Moisturizing Cowash was the closest performance-wise to the Purification Masque. CVS sells it.
ForumRunner_20150330_192956.jpg
Unfortunately it's more expensive and getting scarce on the ground. I think it will also be reformulated.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Whyyyyy?!

This is my warm weather favorite for co-cleansing. I can apply to dry dirty hair, rinse and have clean conditioned hair all in one step.

Right as the weather is changing they wanna switch it up? Come on now SM, stop playin! I waited all winter.

@veesweets

This is exactly how I feel about this product.:lick:

It worked miracles on dry/dirty hair.:lol:

SEMO

Bibliophile

Thanks for mentioning a possible replacement. Hearing about the reformulation made me realize how dependent I am on the purification masque. It allows me to be lazy and stretch the time between wash days, b/c I know it will melt away even the most stubborn tangles (no matter how dry my hair was).

In fact, just last week I did a hair experiment and put my the purification masque up against 3 other deep conditioners I had (that I was trying as pre-poos). I parted my hair in four sections and put a diff. product on each section. The purification masque blew them away. The other three went into my give away bag.

I'm really hoping that the new formula will surprise me and I'll love it just as much.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
SEMO

If I can, I'll only get another 2-3 Jars.:rolleyes:

I don't want to start stockpiling (hoarding) it.:look:

I already have x1 here and hopefully x2 on the way. :crossfingers:

I'll pick up x2-3 more (if possible) and then deal with my disappointment.:ohwell:

Crystal22

The sad thing is i just got turned on to this product and knew instinctively it would work great as a pre-poo....of course it was awesome!! Typical that it would be reformulated.

SEMO

IDareT'sHair

Yeah, I didn't want to start hoarding it either (I had to talk myself out of buying a few more jars using the cvs.com coupon code). 3 jars will last me for a long time anyway. And if I don't like the new formula I'll have to face that eventually.

frizzy

I picked up the old formula and put it back 3 times before I left Sally's today. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $12 for that jar.

I read the ingredients and believe I can duplicate it, but I'll never know for sure if I did.

Beachy

I'm going to be 100% honest I am going to buy as many as I can!!! When I think about the way my poor scalp suffered...emergency room visits because my head felt like it was on fire...yup buying everything I can get my hands on!

I loved the purification mask for both my hair and my daughters hair too. I'm going to try the new one out on her hair the weekend but I can't give it a total hit or miss because our hair types are very different and some products that work for her don't work for me and vice versa.

SEMO

I'm going to be 100% honest I am going to buy as many as I can!!! When I think about the way my poor scalp suffered...emergency room visits because my head felt like it was on fire...yup buying everything I can get my hands on!

I loved the purification mask for both my hair and my daughters hair too. I'm going to try the new one out on her hair the weekend but I can't give it a total hit or miss because our hair types are very different and some products that work for her don't work for me and vice versa.
Beachy

It sounds like a lifesaver, if it's helping you avoid the emergency room. You might be able to contact the company directly and see if they have some of the original left (that they haven't sold to a discounter). Esp. if you're willing to buy in bulk.

SEMO

I hope the new formula is better than the old formula for you guys that love it!
I've had that happen with my holy grail shampoo. So I believe it's possible to like a new formulation better. I just find that it happens rarely.

Beachy

It really made a MAJOR difference for my scalp. When I started I was using it every week and now I can get by with using it every couple weeks maybe even once a month. I have even been able to go 6 to 8 weeks without using it twice when I had my hair in twists but trust me I knew the minute those twists came out the purification mask had to go in. The thought of having to give it up permanently yeah not happy about that....makes my scalp itch just thinking about it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It's definitely my go-to HG/Staple when I need to remove heavy butters, oils, crèmes and my regular Cleansing Conditioners aren't cutting it.

Fall/Winter is usually when I pull it out on a Regular basis.:yep:

So, it will definitely be a serious loss to my Fall/Winter Regimen:ohwell:

SweetlyCurly

After reading this I freaked out and bought 2 on target.com
Really hoping it's the old formula...in the website it looked like it was. Don't know why shea moisture had to go and mess with the best thing ever. This product was perfect.

Rain20

They have moved it to the section with dandruff shampoos in Walgreens and CVS. It is not in the section with most of the other SM products. I didn't pay attention to whether it was the old or new formula.

I think there are too many products for the previous little ethnic hair care section. I think stores are starting to incorporate them with all the other products (Walgreen's and Target). The super fruit line not always with the initial products either.

oneastrocurlie

Major bummer. This the only thing that I use to pre-wash detangle with because nothing else works as good.

Luckily I just cracked open jar 1 of 3 that I have remaining. So I'll be good for a while.

Honey Bee

This is possibly a dumb question, but what's the difference between the original formulation and, say, a clay masque? I never used the product (though I intended to get around to it at some point :ohwell:).

SEMO

Honey Bee

Not a dumb question at all. I'm not sure I'm the best qualified to answer though. But I made a clay hair mask once before (using the Aztec healing clay with vinegar and coconut milk - might have used water, instead of vinegar, can't remember).

My homemade clay mask made my hair stiff (due to the proteins I added, I believe) and was not all suitable for detangling (which is the primary reason I use the purification masque). But I do feel like it detoxed my hair. So, if that's a person's main reason for using it, they could possibly forgo the purification masque and do their own clay mask. If you added it to a regular conditioner (like V05 or Tressemme Naturals) you might get more slip and something more similar to the purfication masque.

Hmm, now I'm curious. I still have a lot of the Aztec clay left. So I might try mixing it with some conditioner and report back on what happens.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Welp.:perplexed

I went to the CVS & Walgreen's close to the job. :look:

CVS = @Rain20 Thanks for the tip that it had been moved near the Dandruff 'Poos that was correct - :yep:

However, they only had the African Black Soap Shampoo and the Conditioner (R/O).

Next Stop Walgreen's = They did have several of the new version.

I.just.couldn't.:nono:

I ended up getting a back up of the JBCO DC'er and a Superfruit DC'er.

I hope the scent of the Superfruit DC'er doesn't get on my nerves. (1st time purchasing it).

Last edited: