Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

Evolving78

Today's smoothie 1 banana 1 handfull of blueberries 1/3 of a pineapple ( a lot i know but i love pineapple) 1 handful of kale 2 spoons of organic whole flaxseed 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt Ground cinnamon 1 cup of bolthouse carrot juice... thanks for mentioning this brand shortdub78. It tastes better than previous carrot juice i have had. I still wont drink it alone though, lol. It made a lot. I had a 16 oz cup when i woke up earlier, and it kept me up for hours. The rest is in the fridge, i hope it didn't go bad.
I need to try this mix!

cherryhair123

Hair Goals
Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: BSL Natural
Transitioning:
Hair type: 4A
How you will achieve goal: protective styling, moisture, finger combing

Weight/Fitness Goals lose 30 lbs
Current weight-183
Weight Goal-155
Exercise, less carbs, more protein and green smoothies under 1200 cals

davisbr88

:dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!
LET'S GET IT STARTED!!!!

Question for this week:
What or who (including yourself!) is your motivation?

My father and grandfather are my motivators. My dad was recently diagnosed with a serious illness (he's doing okay now) and I know I just cannot afford to carry around this weight and be more susceptible to the myriad of diseases that run in my family. I want to be around to celebrate life and joy with my father.

My grandfather is my other motivator because when my older brother was born, he immediately gave up smoking and excessive drinking to be healthy for us. He did it cold turkey, he made no excuses, and he hasn't gone back. His strength is inspiring to me, and it lets me know that I CAN make this change. I have that strength in me, too!

Last edited:

Ajna

So here is my motivation story in brief I used to be a marathon runner, I started running after a break up that really took its toll on me but that was a good thing. Anyways I started running and went back to school initially it was great. Then I got so involved in my career goals that I stopped taking care of myself, not eating poorly just not watching what I at. A few months ago I noticed my clothes were getting tight and I had started smoking again. So I decided I needed to take better care of me in 2015. Quit smoking a month ago and around the same time I discovered Ernestine Shepherd.

If you do not know who she is check out this video http://youtu.be/na6yl8yIZUI

I loved her story but more importantly she did something and still does. So currently she is my motivation she has inspired me to want to put back on my running shoes but before I could I needed my body to heal so this January it has been yoga and walking, this month I am adding in weight lifting and running.

naptime

Did 1 hour of p90x plyometrics today. That's good, but the ridiculous spread that hubby is making for the game is gonna kill me. I blame him for my current weight issues, lol.

davisbr88

Ajna: that is an AWESOME motivational story! I, too, practice yoga and it changed my life. Let me know how your weight lifting goes! I can't run due to foot injuries, but I used to LOVE lifting and need to get back into it.

naptime: go, girl! I'm not going to be around any Super Bowl food this year since I'm sick and contagious, so I guess I'm lucky? *hmph*

I did the week 1 day 1 workout of the 6-week bootcamp today and I had to take SOOOO many breaks. It took forever! But I finished it. 2 more to go this week.
I think I am going to stretch the bootcamp out to 12 weeks so I can do the weekly workouts twice. I want to master the exercises with good form and without needing to take a break before I move on.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Question for this week: What or who (including yourself!) is your motivation?

1. Myself. I've never been this big in my life and I don't want to stay this size.
2. My godkids. I want to be able to run around with them this summer. We all have asthma so it won't be too much running lol but losing some pounds will help me play a little more before my weak lungs tell me to have a seat.
3. My wallet. I have all these "skinny" clothes and I refuse to buy bigger clothes or keep giving then away. I need to wear this stuff.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Yesterday I resisted the urge to eat 4 cookies. :yay: I did allow myself to share 1 with my bestie since I did a ridiculous amount of walking at work. Today I resisted donuts and candy bars at 7-eleven. I got 2 bags of trail mix, one with m& ms and nuts and one with just nuts and cranberries. This snow threw off my meal and snack prep plans. Had to leave for work over an hour earlier. Smh.

davisbr88

KinksAndInk: you are ON it, girl! Good job resisting temptation!!!
Also, I totally feel you about the clothes thing. I have a lot of really cute clothes that I bought when I lost a lot of weight last year that are still hanging around and I want to get back into them. I'm not buying anymore clothes!

Eboni801

Hair Goals Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: MBL
Natural /Transitioning: transitioning
Hair type: too many textures to count
How you will achieve goal: rollersetting and protective styling

Weight/Fitness Goals:
Current weight: 143
Weight Goal: 135
Current dress size: 8
Goal size: 6
I plan to achieve this through, healthy eating, exercise and yoga.

Eboni801

Question for this week: What or who (including yourself!) is your motivation?

Definitely for myself. I have 6 month old twins and I want to prove that it is possible to get your body back, well somewhat.

Also because of my children's father, the road has been mighty bumpy, hopefully things will work out but if they don't at least I won't have to spend time getting back in shape to return to the dating scene.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My reflection in the dressing room mirror today was a wake up call. I guess being terrified of looking like this another day is my motivation :lol:

I had a good weekend at work so I treated myself to a new tank top and a pair of gym pants. I can't wait to work out just so I can wear it. It's that cute :yep:

trclemons

I am definitely in!

Hair Goals
Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: BSL/MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 3c/4a
How you will achieve goal: Hiding my hair in braids & twists.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 177
Goal Weight: 150
Current Dress Size: 12
Goal Size: 8
How you will achieve goal: Improving my eating habits; drinking more water; reporting my weight weekly; participating in some of the monthly squat, abs, etc. challenges; & participating in Black Girls Run activities (including my first 5K run).

MINI GOALS
March = 170 lbs.
June = 163
September = 156 lbs.
December = 150 lbs.

trclemons

:dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!
LET'S GET IT STARTED!!!!

Question for this week:
What or who (including yourself!) is your motivation?

My father and grandfather are my motivators. My dad was recently diagnosed with a serious illness (he's doing okay now) and I know I just cannot afford to carry around this weight and be more susceptible to the myriad of diseases that run in my family. I want to be around to celebrate life and joy with my father.

My grandfather is my other motivator because when my older brother was born, he immediately gave up smoking and excessive drinking to be healthy for us. He did it cold turkey, he made no excuses, and he hasn't gone back. His strength is inspiring to me, and it lets me know that I CAN make this change. I have that strength in me, too!
My motivation is a few invitations I have received for events in 2015:

1. 50th Birthday Party this weekend at Ft. Lauderdale Beach (Lord, help me to hide as much of this fat as I can)

2. Wedding in Nashville in October (I'm single, so I need to be tight and right)

3. 40th Birthday Party in St. Maarten in November.

And another motivation is my 6 year old nephew who looked at my Mom and told her, "Nana, one day you are gonna have one stomach just like me" and then he proceeded to count her fat rolls. When I am around him, I am constantly hiding because I don't want him to discover that TeeTee and Nana have a lot in common. :lol:

ronie

1. Myself. I've never been this big in my life and I don't want to stay this size. 2. My godkids. I want to be able to run around with them this summer. We all have asthma so it won't be too much running lol but losing some pounds will help me play a little more before my weak lungs tell me to have a seat. 3. My wallet. I have all these "skinny" clothes and I refuse to buy bigger clothes or keep giving then away. I need to wear this stuff.

Yes to everything you said. I have not been this big my whole life. This body is foreign to me, and I need to get to a familiar place.
I have tons of clothes that I had not been able to wear in over a year. I gave some to my little sister in law, but I still have plenty. I did buy some bigger clothes, but I refuse to replace my whole wardrobe.

ronie

Did 1 hour of p90x plyometrics today. That's good, but the ridiculous spread that hubby is making for the game is gonna kill me. I blame him for my current weight issues, lol.
I'm lucky to be at work this weekend. I weigh every Monday, so I m trying to make today count. Hoping for 151-152lbs Monday evening when I wake up. If I manage to not eat anything out of my planned snack tonight and go straight to bed in the morning after work, I will be golden.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am going to cut back on bread, dairy and sugar this week and see if that helps. My weight last night was almost 173 :sad: . I keep gaining and I'm afraid that I may have food allergies. I am not overeating. If anything I am drinking too much water. I want to get blood work done to rule out any health issues.

This morning I am 169. I just took my prescription water pill so I should at least be back to my starting weight (164) by the end of today.

ronie

I am going to cut back on bread, dairy and sugar this week and see if that helps. My weight last night was almost 173 :sad: . I keep gaining and I'm afraid that I may have food allergies. I am not overeating. If anything I am drinking too much water. I want to get blood work done to rule out any health issues. This morning I am 169. I just took my prescription water pill so I should at least be back to my starting weight (164) by the end of today.
Yes definitely get the health concerns out of the way. Keep the dairy and cut the sugar and bread. I find that cutting the soda alone made great changes for me. I have tried dieting before with weekly soda allowance. This time around I went completely soda free and i see results faster.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
It's so hard for me to eat breakfast every morning. I need to kick this habit because not eating breakfast tends to make me over eat at lunch. I need to look into some make ahead options. Breakfast burritos, oatmeal bars, crockpot oatmeal and a few others have been on my to do list for a while. I need to get my life together.

ronie

I'm lucky to be at work this weekend. I weigh every Monday, so I m trying to make today count. Hoping for 151-152lbs Monday evening when I wake up. If I manage to not eat anything out of my planned snack tonight and go straight to bed in the morning after work, I will be golden.
So that did not happen, loll. The night was great. But I had to go pick up my daughter at my mom because DH got stuck at work due to bad weather and low staffing at his hospital. My mom had a whole Haitian meal on the stove at 9 flipping 30 in the morning. So I ate (white) rice, stew peas and turkey, no vegetables loll. And now I gotta go to sleep. This is really bad. At least my portion was really small except for the turkey.
I had a whole liter of water with my vitamins after the meal. So I must do my 1 hour body works class this evening. Pushing weigh in until tomorrow morning.

ronie

It's so hard for me to eat breakfast every morning. I need to kick this habit because not eating breakfast tends to make me over eat at lunch. I need to look into some make ahead options. Breakfast burritos, oatmeal bars, crockpot oatmeal and a few others have been on my to do list for a while. I need to get my life together.
If you like oatmeal, try the Quaker instant packets. I love the apple cinnamon ones. It s super easy to make and it's just 160 calories per pack and 7g of sugar. I just mix it with a little water, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, stir, add some milk (I use whole milk), stick back in the microwave for 30 seconds, no sugar needed. It fills me up for hours.
When I am making for the whole family I cook it on the stove the same way.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Had a small bowl of cereal tgis morning. I usually do a green smoothie or boiled eggs or oatmeal but didn't have time. Will try and attempt my treadmill today but my leg is still killing me. For lunch may do a peanut butter sandwich to get protein.

Hair wise everything is going fine. I have my hair braided in a beehive with very little hairline out. Still wigging it.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
If you like oatmeal, try the Quaker instant packets. I love the apple cinnamon ones. It s super easy to make and it's just 160 calories per pack and 7g of sugar. I just mix it with a little water, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, stir, add some milk (I use whole milk), stick back in the microwave for 30 seconds, no sugar needed. It fills me up for hours. When I am making for the whole family I cook it on the stove the same way.

I tried the instant but I don't like the texture, maybe it's because I use 2% or almond milk. Whole milk is too thick for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong. The crockpot one uses steel cut oats I think. But until this Mother Nature gets her ish together I'll be eating cereal.

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
KinksAndInk try think thin protein bars. They sell them in whole foods and other chain grocery stores. Best tasting protein bar I've ever had! Great way to get ur protein in. I keep them in my car and purse so I'm not tempted to stop and eat while I'm out. I'm really not hungry after eating one. They have 2 protein versions the one below and a high protein one that has like 20g and 250 calories they're ok, but just know that when there is that much protein stuffed in a bar it's not going to taste as good. The ones below are the best. Hope this helps. image-397474851.jpg

Here's the high protein ones.

image-3653746288.jpg

Last edited:

naturallymine

I'm definitely in this one!

Hair Goals
Current Length: Almost shoulder length
2015 Goal Length: Full APL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 4c
How you will achieve goal: Shampoo 1x weekly, DC 3x weekly, no heat, protective styling, supplements

Weight/Fitness Goals Current Weight: 180 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs
Current Dress Size: 12
Goal Size: 8
How you will achieve goal: Work out 3x weekly, eliminate processed foods, cut carbs, increase protein, supplements, juicing, lots of water!!

xu93texas

I'm in. I need accountability!!

Hair Goals:
-Current length: TWA
-2015 Goal length: SL
-I'm natural
-Hair Type:4A/4B
-I will achieve SL by PS with wigs and crochet braids, using JBCO and sulfur based products; inversion method; and exercising/eating right.

Weight/Fitness Goals:
-Current weight: 165
-Goal weight: 128-133
-Current dress size: 10
-Goal size: 4/6
-I will achieve this goal by exercising and eating healthy. Right now, I'm researching the Paleo diet. I purchased a Vitamix and I drink green smoothies on a regular basis. I've been slacking on exercising. I walk 5-7 miles per day in steps according to my Fitbit, but I'm not losing weight; just maintaining. So we purchased a treadmill this weekend and hubby and I will start a walking program.

Mini goal #1
I want to lose 10-15 pounds by March 31

Mini goal #2
I want to lose another 10-15 pounds by May 31

Mini goal#3
I want to lose any remaining weight to achieve my goal by July 31

Mini goal #4
-walk in my first 5k race during the month of October during breast cancer awareness month. My mother is a breast cancer survivor(27 years).