BEAT THE HEAT: HOT GIRLS 2015

Evolving78

ok got it. lol The silicone in my conditioner probably does it for heat protecting properties. Shampoo: Creme of nature Argan oil Conditioner: Silicon mix My post wash leave ins vary between oyin handmade dew, miss jessies leave in condish or scurl. After this step I tension blow dry with my chi blow dryer or I blowdry use my conair styler on medium heat. Then I use my twisting butter and evoo to flat twist. I don't have any heat damage.
I was going to mention Silicon Mix!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Also does anyone use dry shampoo in between washes? I would like to go 2 weeks with a straightning but my hair goes bad at 4 days or so

Lylddlebit

Lylddlebit do u have any heat damage from straightening often?

I have had heat damage before won't lie. However it's never the "I washed my hair and it won't revert back" that a lot of people on the board are scared of. It's usually when I mess up, leave the hot comb on the stove too long because I wasn't paying attention and got distracted, then singed a small piece of hair smooth off which last happened in 2012. The second thing is sometimes I will notice the last 2 inches of my hair has a looser curl than the main bulk of my hair so I will just trim off those two inches the next time I straighten. However right now I am not dealing with that. I will admit I am one of those people who would be fine with heat damage for a lot of reasons:My sister has heat trained hair and it is a breeze do style whenever she asks me to do it(I imagined mine would be just like hers if my heat caught up with me), my hair has never been one uniform texture I have a patch in the back is a 3 texture when the majority of my hair is in the 4 range, I don't wear wash and goes and when I wear a fro it is only the day before or after a wash day before I finish styling it.

So yep, I get damage sometimes but it's been an easy fix for the last few years.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

March Press:
Before Trim, after trim and styled

Attachments

• IMG_0296-vi.jpg
    IMG_0296-vi.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0270Version2-vi.jpg
    IMG_0270Version2-vi.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0298-vi.jpg
    IMG_0298-vi.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got some new heat protectant samples from Kerastase. I will use that instead of Chi Silk Infusion next time I straighten my hair.

missliberia

Also does anyone use dry shampoo in between washes? I would like to go 2 weeks with a straightning but my hair goes bad at 4 days or so

I HAVE to use dry shampoo if I allow my hair to go past the 1 week mark. I don't know what it is but my scalp is RANK and Dry shampoo masks it perfectly.

missliberia

Me at work last week:

Side view:

Other side:

Hemline:

Before that straightening:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I blow dried and lightly fat ironed this month and last month. The result I get is kinky straight fro no matter what I do. I have thrown the towel in, and now use this method for manageability and detangling, nothing more.

I will probably cut out the light flat ironing out and stick to blow drying on cool/warm.

I used Aveda Brilliant and Universal Styling Creme, layered with Aveda Naturally straight, and OGX coconut milk serum last time I heat styled.

Evolving78

I want to get those Aveda naturally straight products. Are they sticky? Hard/coating? I was thinking of getting the mizani thermasmooth. I plan on washing and flat ironing my hair today. I washed and flat ironed the front this past weekend, but didn't do it all over and my hair needs some attention to avoid these knots.

Lylddlebit

Prettymetty I use the KQC Deep waver. I love it although I do wish some would have been available on eBay for the prices showing now than when I bought mine off flat iron experts(last summer eBay and amazon both only had them full price ).

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

I blow dried and lightly fat ironed this month and last month. The result I get is kinky straight fro no matter what I do. I have thrown the towel in, and now use this method for manageability and detangling, nothing more.

I will probably cut out the light flat ironing out and stick to blow drying on cool/warm.

I used Aveda Brilliant and Universal Styling Creme, layered with Aveda Naturally straight, and OGX coconut milk serum last time I heat styled.

Have you ever wanted the silky straight look? I know you said no matter what you do you get the same results but I wonder if that means you have tried everything or that is what you are willing to do in your comfort zone. Do you ever try a hard press instead of a light flat iron or is that a "no no" for potential of damage?

ag00

If you want to get it that silky straight look, you can't be afraid to turn up the heat. If you have a coarser hair texture, you have to use a higher heat temperature. Try blow drying on high heat and flat ironing at 400 degrees.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I want to get those Aveda naturally straight products. Are they sticky? Hard/coating? I was thinking of getting the mizani thermasmooth. I plan on washing and flat ironing my hair today. I washed and flat ironed the front this past weekend, but didn't do it all over and my hair needs some attention to avoid these knots.

shortdub78

I love them. So much slip its unreal. My hair was smooth and shiny.

Prettymetty I use the KQC Deep waver. I love it although I do wish some would have been available on eBay for the prices showing now than when I bought mine off flat iron experts(last summer eBay and amazon both only had them full price ).

Lylddlebit

Very pretty results too!

Have you ever wanted the silky straight look? I know you said no matter what you do you get the same results but I wonder if that means you have tried everything or that is what you are willing to do in your comfort zone. Do you ever try a hard press instead of a light flat iron or is that a "no no" for potential of damage?

I wanted body and volume in my press. The price for that however seems to be that my hair doesn't stay that way. I get the kinky straight look I am looking for then the next day I lose most of the effect. the hair reverts and quickly makes its return to 1/2 to 1/3 of its length.

The flat iron I have is a Hana elite flat iron. It's ceramic, and between the 370 and the 450 settings there aren't any dials, so I don't exactly know where 400 is. According to the leaflet that came with the flat iron virgin coarse hair, which is what I have, should be flat ironed on 450 degrees. That scares the crap out of me though. According to the information I have found online you shouldn't go above 400, or you will instantly heat damage the hair. I have also seen stylist tutorials, like with Moknowshair, where on hair like mine she uses 450 degrees. But, I don't really want the super flat look that I see when people use that temperature though.

If you want to get it that silky straight look, you can't be afraid to turn up the heat. If you have a coarser hair texture, you have to use a higher heat temperature. Try blow drying on high heat and flat ironing at 400 degrees.

ag00

At one point I blow dried on high with a comb attachment, and then flat ironed on at least 390 with the comb chase method. It looks kinky straight ( which I like) and then reverts within a day. I am using a ton of anti reversion products too.

Basically, I like body and volume in my press, however pretty much a couple hours after a press it looks like I didn't use much heat at all, it looks like a blow out.

My hair always comes out looking like the before picture. This is not my photo though.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
"Believe it or not, there was a period of time that I just did not think it possible to go beyond the “blow-out look” on my 4C natural hair to sleek and straight. It just didn’t happen for me when I tried using a couple of the more popular flat irons out there. Moreover, after spending an hour or so on straightening, my hair would revert within minutes. For a period of time, I saw no point in flat ironing my hair if the results did not look like I had used the tool at all and only lasted seconds. What was the point? I might as well have just stretched my hair using conventional methods." quoted from BGLH

This is pretty much exactly how I feel, :lol:.

ETA: I am thinking using a boar bristle brush and some sort of oil or pressing grease might work?

I keep hearing though that no one should use grease or oil when straightening because it literally burns the hair?

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78 I love them. So much slip its unreal. My hair was smooth and shiny. Lylddlebit Very pretty results too! I wanted body and volume in my press. The price for that however seems to be that my hair doesn't stay that way. I get the kinky straight look I am looking for then the next day I lose most of the effect. the hair reverts and quickly makes its return to 1/2 to 1/3 of its length. The flat iron I have is a Hana elite flat iron. It's ceramic, and between the 370 and the 450 settings there aren't any dials, so I don't exactly know where 400 is. According to the leaflet that came with the flat iron virgin coarse hair, which is what I have, should be flat ironed on 450 degrees. That scares the crap out of me though. According to the information I have found online you shouldn't go above 400, or you will instantly heat damage the hair. I have also seen stylist tutorials, like with Moknowshair, where on hair like mine she uses 450 degrees. But, I don't really want the super flat look that I see when people use that temperature though. ag00 At one point I blow dried on high with a comb attachment, and then flat ironed on at least 390 with the comb chase method. It looks kinky straight ( which I like) and then reverts within a day. I am using a ton of anti reversion products too. Basically, I like body and volume in my press, however pretty much a couple hours after a press it looks like I didn't use much heat at all, it looks like a blow out. My hair always comes out looking like the before picture. This is not my photo though.
now I don't know what to get! Lol

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
now I don't know what to get! Lol

I used the Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight paired with the Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme.

I did not buy the Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother because it is 30 dollars for 3 ounces. That is an absolute no go on my hair, there is just too much of it. So, I use the styling creme instead of the style prep smoother with the naturally straight.

I haven't tried the Mizani but I have heard mostly good reviews.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I used the Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight paired with the Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme. I did not buy the Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother because it is 30 dollars for 3 ounces. That is an absolute no go on my hair, there is just too much of it. So, I use the styling creme instead with the naturally straight instead. I haven't tried the Mizani but I have heard mostly good reviews.
I will get Aveda and ask for mizani for my bday!

ag00

ETA: I am thinking using a boar bristle brush and some sort of oil or pressing grease might work?

I keep hearing though that no one should use grease or oil when straightening because it literally burns the hair?

And that is all a bunch of propaganda from people that don't know anything about 4b/4c hair. I have used almost nothing else BUT grease for heat styling and I have no heat damage whatsoever. And not only do I not get heat damage, but I also have NO REVERSION while heat styled. Grease blocks out humidity so it stays straight. I don't use too much for it to be weighed down but just enough to get it sleek. This works the same for many others I know that have or had incorporated it into their regime. Grease has been used for more then 200 years now by blacks to straighten our hair. It's never stopped working. What I've learned about 4b/4c hair is that it needs products of thick consistency like our texture to provide ultimate moisture and protection. And for me, that has been grease and conditioner.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
And that is all a bunch of propaganda from people that don't know anything about 4b/4c hair. I have used almost nothing else BUT grease for heat styling and I have no heat damage whatsoever. And not only do I not get heat damage, but I also have NO REVERSION while heat styled. Grease blocks out humidity so it stays straight. I don't use too much for it to be weighed down but just enough to get it sleek. This works the same for many others I know that have or had incorporated it into their regime. Grease has been used for more then 200 years now by blacks to straighten our hair. It's never stopped working. What I've learned about 4b/4c hair is that it needs products of thick consistency like our texture to provide ultimate moisture and protection. And for me, that has been grease and conditioner.

ag00

I am inclined to believe you because those that I have seen with the best results (with my hair type) use shea butter, a heavy butter cream or grease prior to straightening in addition to a leave in and heat protectant. I will keep this info in mind...

:fan: :brainy:

Eta:

A 4b/c natural uses shea butter to flat iron on about 400 degrees fahrenheit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5Xv5JPHUM

The next natural with similar hair to mine used a leave in conditioner consisting of, Kinky Curly Knot Today, aloe vera juice, jojoba oil, castor oil, and Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream prior to blow drying before flat ironing with a serum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SJAm6swIgU
She goes over what is in the leave in conditioner she used here at the 3:28 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZqSEBiOJM

Here MoKnowsHair uses 450 degrees on 4b/c hair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSnLtnCrks
However she also mentions avoiding natural oils (and ostensibly grease) for straightening. Perhaps that is why the iron needs to go up so high?

Last edited:

summertimewine

*sips tea*
Idk why but I thought this thread would be ways I could get all this hair off of my neck and shoulders to "beat the heat" this summer :lol:

Anyway, good luck ladies!!

Evolving78

DoDo
I got the mizani today and I'm going to grab Aveda later today! I'm going to try the mizani thermasmooth right now! I'm excited!

Evolving78

DoDo I got the mizani today and I'm going to grab Aveda later today! I'm going to try the mizani thermasmooth right now! I'm excited!
dc'ing right now with the conditioner. I'm about to hop back in the shower to rinse. The shampoo was gentle and very cleansing. My hair didn't feel stripped. The conditioner felt nice going on and I was able to do some light detangling to comb the product through.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
dc'ing right now with the conditioner. I'm about to hop back in the shower to rinse. The shampoo was gentle and very cleansing. My hair didn't feel stripped. The conditioner felt nice going on and I was able to do some light detangling to comb the product through.

shortdub78

So, you got the Aveda Smooth Infusion shampoo and conditioner and you are deep conditioning with smooth infusion conditioner?

Let me know how your hair comes out after you rinse out the conditioner. If it feels soft, cloudy etc. Every time I use the smooth infusion conditioner I follow up with something else to deep condition, so your thoughts would be very interesting to me.:yep: