Watch out unethical salons and stylists

Lucia

I found a testimony of shady stylists putting relaxer in a "conditioning treatment" without the client knowledge. I've heard of this happening at Domincan salons too. http://www.strawberricurls.com/2010/...rowdignite.com I'll leave the link above up but it's not working now but in case they fix it. so I found another testimony and I'm putting the article up here and the link.

http://www.strawberricurls.com/2010/06/09/stylists-are-perming-your-hair-and-you-dont-even-know-it/

Hello all!

Here’s the deal. I’m a junior stylist in a natural salon that doesn’t straighten hair. So a few of our clients just opt to go elsewhere to get their hair straightened. Recently a few of our clients have been telling us stories of salons mixing relaxers with conditioners in order to get their hair straighter. I’ll give two examples.

First example. A client used to get Dominican blowouts. She was short on time and just stuck with a rollerset. She’s a solid 4b. When I saw her she had broken pieces at her scalp and her hair was straightish/curlyish and not quite 4 anymore. She said the minute they rinsed the dc out her hair was no longer it’s texture. After the rollerset she said her hair just went downhill.

Second example. A clients hair was originally SL. When I met her I assumed she had recently BC’d and still had relaxed ends. She informed me that she’s been natural for years and that she’s only been getting it pressed. But on the last press her hair was sleeker and shinier than usual. She said her stylist mixed something but she wasn’t paying attention and since she didn’t smell anything she didn’t think anything was up. She did say that she got a 15 minute dc with whatever was mixed. After it was all said and done her hair gradually fell off and she now has only 2 inches of hair. She still has straight ends but I just felt bad cutting it all off.

I could go on but I think you guys get it. If you go to a salon where they complain about the thickness of your hair or things like that don’t let them touch your hair. Both of these ladies had thick hair 4 type hair. My guess is that they are just putting it in and not neutralizing afterwards. I can’t think of any places that shampoo after a dc.

I don’t normally start threads but there was enough people to make me see that something is afoot. Why people would do such a nasty thing is beyond me.

She warns that stylist are relaxing our hair and passing it off as conditioner! Please ladies, please be careful of who you let in your hair because the next thing you know, you could wake up the next morning and all of your hair falls out of your head.

Some stylist, not all, tend to get this attitude about themselves that they know everything and you can’t tell them anything and to do so would be offensive to them. It really is disheartening because it gives the stylists that actually give a damn about your hair, a bad name.

I know many women on NaturallyCurly.com, LHCF.com, CurlyNikki.com, and other hair sites that have nothing good at all to say about hair stylists and THIS is one of the main reasons why.

Am i saying that all stylists are the devil? No, not by a mile but what i am saying is that if your going to go to one, find a good one that won’t do stuff like slip relaxer into a conditioner treatment. That is just evil…

Last edited:

CodeRed

That's... not only shady but stupid as all get out... if someone is allergic/has bad reactions to relaxer chemicals then what are you going to do? That person has every right to demand right then and there what you put in their hair so they can take it to a doctor/lab to be tested... Is that really worth losing your reputation/possible freedom for?

Some people are so stupid and evil.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That's why you take your own products to salons. You should also pay attention and ask questions along the way. It's your hair and you need to know everything that's being done to it.

Lucia

That's why you take your own products to salons. You should also pay attention and ask questions along the way. It's your hair and you need to know everything that's being done to it.

I just don't go at all I only went twice for wedding I was attending but when I went they didn't wash condition or anything to my hair. I came with it already co washed conditioned damp ready for a blowout curl and updo. She kept goin on and on about my ends how much I needed a "trim" ;). We all know what that meant she wanted to hack about a foot off and how I had soooo much hair yada yada.
I know for a fact that's crap cause now I can do a blowout and curl myself. My hair is thick but not that thick. Does it take an hour yes but it's worth it to me.

Last edited:

Transformer

ammonium thioglycolate- could be added the conditioner. Liquid relaxers like Vigoral is used a lot. When my DD was small with unruly hair the stylist snuck and did this once.

Lucia

ammonium thioglycolate- could be added the conditioner. Liquid relaxers like Vigoral is used a lot. When my DD was small with unruly hair the stylist snuck and did this once.

Transformer
See I would be so mad that's not only shady but plenty of kids have asthma and allergies and have to be rushed to the hospital on some stupid bs. See it just shows me that a lot of stylists don't care about their clients at all its al a big show so they can get paid. Someone's health should be the most important.

With these stories I think even if a parent or client said look I don't perm or color because I have allergies they would probably still try and sneak some stuff in their conditioner that's why shops are closing left and right.

Transformer

The ingredients of hair relaxers, which many black women use to straighten their curls, are anything but relaxing. Almost all of the samples of currently available hair relaxers tested by Environmental Working Group (EWG) were ranked highly toxic, although limited information was available. Allergic reactions, hormone disruption, immune system toxicity and organ toxicity were four of the main risks.

This is from the first link above. I wonder what is their any correlation with relaxers and the rapid, lethal breast cancer in Black women.