2015 APL/BSL Challenge

apple_natural

My hair seems to love clay- rhassoul/ calcium bentonite/ sodium bentonite. I used to make a mix like batter and I my hair responded well- clean scalp and hair, accepting moisture and clumping. For the past couple of weeks, I've made a much more liquid mix and it gives great slip for detangling (much better than the thicker consistency). I tend to use a blend of rhassoul and bentonite on my hair.

Ok great! I was worried that it would be drying or make it hard if it were not mixed with acv. Sounds like the opposite!

GGsKin

Ok great! I was worried that it would be drying or make it hard if it were not mixed with acv. Sounds like the opposite!

I always add ACV- it helps smooth the mix. I used to only use a splash. I use a little more now, but I don't measure properly lol. I just dilute it in water first (more ACV makes these clays quite runny). The milk helps thicken it up (and adds some conditioning) without using too much clay. It can be drying if left on a long time but in general, rhassoul doesn't tend to be as drying for some.

The mix doesn't really have time to get hard on my hair. I used to cover with a shower cap or bag to prevent this. Now as soon as I've finished applying and detangling, I wash it out.

My timing for clay now is at most around 1hr 30mins start to finish, including detangling time. That's just how long it takes me but a lot of people leave it on for less.

apple_natural

Braiding hair is soaking in acv to prepare for the braiding that may or may not happen tomorrow lol. It's amazing how many things get in the way! !

Last edited:

traceedeebee

I'm hoping to get a trim and flat iron Saturday. Trying to schedule it now. I'm just not in the mood to mess with my hair now.

Evolving78

Trying to decide if I should wash today or just leave it alone for a few days. I may leave it alone. I had some breakage from letting my hair get bone dry. I trimmed my ends and m&s. I have it in four sections.

kupenda

I can't seem to post photos from my phone. But the blue in my hair has faded to a very pretty violet and I can't say I'm dying to go back to the darker color so my next dye job will be purple for sure. I'll pick it up this weekend

I've noticed some breakage around my hairline in the front. It's not dyed or anything. Idk yet what caused it but I'm not happy at all. I've slacked on dc's lately but I won't anymore

apple_natural

I was going to try to wait for the end of the year to clip my hair but I bought new scissors and attacked my front left side. Decided I probably shouldn't cut that much for the rest of the sections though. Its like ear length there now. Ah well. That side grows fast

Still haven't put in those dang braids

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
I wasn't able to really do a LC but I blew out my hair a little bit before putting it into a bun. I think it should be closer to APL soon though.

Attachments

• 11084271_10100459503993679_7658273572389045761_n.jpg
    11084271_10100459503993679_7658273572389045761_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 58

GGsKin

Ordered some bamboo silica and it arrived today- read about it on here in one of these threads lol. I've already been taking Manetabolism regularly for over a year (I think) or thereabouts. Just trying to maximise my output:lol:

apple_natural

Trim complete.
- sectioned as I went along
- detangled with tangle teaser
- used tension method while blow dry (so fast and easy! )
- clipped small pieces at a time within each section
- held the ends tautly and, with my other hand, pulled out the hairs that weren't as long as the majority.
- clipped those hairs as short as necessary for each piece
- clipped the ends of the longest hairs.

Eventually the short hairs are going to grow longer and then I will cut the section even. As the section grows as long as another section, I will cut them even. When all my front or back is even, I will trim it all together. etc

Ive had to do my hair this way years ago and it works for me. The color and heat last year did a lot of damage. Clipping in sections like this enables me to cut as much as necessary, but as little as possible.

I think I can still make APL this year.

Trixie58

I feel like there's lots of trimming occurring with this thread right now! I've been doing the self dust attempts but y'all have me wanting a pro to step in!

PlainJane

For the ladies that are style challenged like myself, just keep practicing!

I joined this thread not knowing how to cornrow or flat twist at all.
I watched YouTube videos until one of the methods finally just clicked.
Back then it would take me an hour and a half to do only FOUR cornrows for a braid out.

It isn't that fast but I'm happy to say I just did four cornrows in 45 minutes!

I'm going to take my own advice and start practicing roller setting again.

apple_natural

I put in armpit length box braids!
Started Thursday and finished Friday. It took about 6 or 7 hours total. They are neater than I have ever made my own braids and they took less time.

I made (somewhat) neat parts instead of grabbing random sections like I usually do. This saved the most time. I sectioned the braiding hair into 10 pieces at a time so that they were pretty even and this saved time too. Also, I didn't borrow from another section as I braided, which helped it look neat. Right from the beginning I started with the braid hair in three pieces and my own hair in three pieces.

Now how do I put in a photo... hmmm...

Eta: I can edit and click the camera but it won't post the photo still

Last edited: