Shea Moisture Purification Mask Name Change Only??

Beachy

From what I can tell it's just the name that has changed, the ingredients look to be the same and in the same order on both products.

Recently I have had a hard time finding the purification mask around where I live, so when I was out-of-state in North Carolina I came across this product which seems to be the Purification Mask with a new name.

I am hopeful that the only change is in the name of the product and it will still work the same as always. Has anyone out there used the newly named Purification Mask and if so were your results just the same as always?? Unfortunately I won't be able to try it out for a few more weeks because I have Senegalese twists in my hair right now.

Beachy

A picture would be helpful (this stupid app kept shutting down on me)

Attachments

• image-1856401619.jpg
    image-1856401619.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 365

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Beachy

You are absolutely right. It looks nothing like the 'original' Purfication Hair Masque. :ohwell:

SM can't tell me it hasn't changed. It doesn't even look the same.:perplexed..:rolleyes:

Consistency is totally off. And I wouldn't be surprised if performance hasn't be compromised too.:look:

NaturallyATLPCH

@Beachy

You are absolutely right. It looks nothing like the 'original' Purfication Hair Masque. :ohwell:

SM can't tell me it hasn't changed. It doesn't even look the same.:perplexed..:rolleyes:

Consistency is totally off. And I wouldn't be surprised if performance hasn't be compromised too.:look:

Shea Moisture and their shenanigans smh...

Beachy

^^ yeah i'm just saying a prayer that it works my on my hair as good as the original purification mask. To be honest it looks and feels more like the super fruit mask to me....which is a good thing because I love that mask too!

NaturallyATLPCH

^^ yeah i'm just saying a prayer that it works my on my hair as good as the original purification mask. To be honest it looks and feels more like the super fruit mask to me....which is a good thing because I love that mask too!

I have the Superfruit but haven't tried it yet. That's good to know so I will have an OTG option for a good DC.

I also have 1 jar left of the old formula (the Purification Mask) so I will just ration it out until I'm ready for a change. :lol:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
The "Original" Purification Hair Masque is/was one of the only SM Hair Products I purchase/re-purchase.:ohwell:

Although, I've recently bought both the Manuka Honey & the JBCO DC'ers but haven't tried either.

Another Poster suggested I tried the Shine & Hold Mist, but I haven't picked any up.

That's so messed up.:rolleyes:

NaturallyATLPCH Beany

Beachy

@NaturallyATLPCH I'm ticked. :swearing: I need to try to find that a couple of the Old Formula before they switch them all out.:rolleyes:

Yeah I'm going to try to find as many of the original as I can because it will not be cute to see a grown woman cry over a conditioner, but I swear that's the only product that was able to stop me from having to use prescription creams on my scalp.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Beachy

I looked and had x1 in my current stash.

I just placed an order for x2 from CVS using SAVE20 for an additional 20% off.

I hope it's the Orig. If not, it's going right back to a brick & mortar.:ohwell:

Beachy

^^Thanks!! About to head over to CVS.com and get a few. I'm already plotting how I can stretch whatever I can find. The problem is I usually put this in my dry hair and scalp so I use a whole jar :dontjudge: I am gonna have to figure out how to use this more sparingly and still reap the benefits.

Beachy

^^ Thanks!!! I'm about to head over to CVS.com to get a few. I am already trying to figure out how to stretch whatever I can find. The problem is I put this on my dry hair and scalp so I use a whole jar whenever I use it :dontjudge: I am going to have to figure out how to use this more sparingly and still get the same benefits.

Beachy

I think I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow to get my sisters to check their local Walgreens while this BOGO is going on. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I just hope when mine arrives from CVS it's the old stuff and not this new branded thing.

If not, it's going back.:rolleyes:

randi415

Yeah I'm going to try to find as many of the original as I can because it will not be cute to see a grown woman cry over a conditioner, but I swear that's the only product that was able to stop me from having to use prescription creams on my scalp.

Same here, I will cry if I have to go back to my steroid creams. I will be so disappointed if it doesn't work as well as the old formula. I have 2 left and haven't been able to find any OTG thinking about checking Amazon. Now that I think about it I had a hard time finding the last two I bought, that was about a month ago.

AgeinATL

The consistency appears to be very different too despite the ingredients being the same.

Wow...it doesn't even LOOK the same. The original's consistency is perfect because it spreads easily and makes detangling a breeze. The new consistency looks WAY too thick to perform the same.

The ONE Shea Moisture product that I actually like and they go and mess with the formula. I. am. PISSED! :censored:

Now I have to find a new, comparable co-cleanser. Calling @IDareT'sHair - any suggestions sis?

Also calling NaturallyATLPCH since I know you liked it as well. Have you found anything just as good? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This is the only SM i bought religiously. I guess i will keep the 6 jars I have on hand and use them up.

The rest of the masque do nothing for my hair other than a prepoo to use up.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Just my speculation but from the pictures it looks like the Kaolin clay has been removed or reduced from the masque. Kaolin has a pale grey color & a silky consistency.

This is disappointing...The Purification Masque is the star of the SM hair line.

Well, I'll be at Ulta tonight after work :'(

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

SEMO

My stomach sank as soon as I saw the title of this thread. :(

The purification masque is one of my very few holy grail products (I only have 3). I pre-poo with it every single time I wash. Nothing detangles my hair like this product does. I noticed the other day on Walgreens.com that I couldn't find the product, but it didn't occur to me to panic. I stocked up in a past BOGO, but I have less than one and half jars left.

I'm feeling some kinda way right now. This is the second of my holy grail products to have issues in the past few months (I think my holy grail shampoo is being discontinued - even though a company rep says it's not, it's not even listed on their site as a product).

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try the new formula. I need to know if I can live with it, while I can still possibly find the old formula lingering around.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Just my speculation but from the pictures it looks like the Kaolin clay has been removed or reduced from the masque. Kaolin has a pale grey color & a silky consistency.

This is disappointing...The Purification Masque is the star of the SM hair line.

Well, I'll be at Ulta tonight after work :'(

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

@Bibliophile

Yeah, that Pale Grey Goodness is Gone:nono:. And I Agree 110%.

It was the Flagship of the entire Line.:lick:

My stomach sank as soon as I saw the title of this thread. :(

The purification masque is one of my very few holy grail products (I only have 3). I pre-poo with it every single time I wash. Nothing detangles my hair like this product does. I noticed the other day on Walgreens.com that I couldn't find the product, but it didn't occur to me to panic. I stocked up in a past BOGO, but I have less than one and half jars left.

I'm feeling some kinda way right now. This is the second of my holy grail products to have issues in the past few months (I think my holy grail shampoo is being discontinued - even though a company rep says it's not, it's not even listed on their site as a product).

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try the new formula. I need to know if I can live with it, while I can still possibly find the old formula lingering around.

@SEMO

So Did mine yesterday when I first saw this Thread. :barf:

I'm glad OP Posted Pics so we could definitely see it has changed.:ohwell:

Hopefully, when I get mine from CVS it will be the Original Formula. Even the Name has Changed.:nono:

I started to stop by a couple CVS's in the Hood after work tonight close to the Job.

They always remove stuff 'late' in certain areas.:look: So, I need to start there.

Your review of the 'newer' one along with @Beachy will be interesting.:rolleyes:

We will be waiting.