MHM Hangout

faithVA

Thank you faithVA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I feel like Im seeing the issue... I dont think the Trader Joe or the KCNT are moisturizing enough for my hair...and the MHM suggested list is very short, lol. But Im done buying more products...Im just gonna have to try using my conditioners that I already have and see what happens. I Have Shea Moisture JBCO and Nexxuss Humectress. I'll try it out.

Your welcome. Yeah, I've never used the Trader Joe's. But KKNT isn't a true conditioner to me. It is a leave-in and that's it.

Definitely try what you have and see how that works.

Smiley79

^^ Exactly, LOLLL, I never thought of the KKNT as a conditioner but I tried it anyways, smh. I will definitely keep it as a leave in though.

deborah11

You click the paperclip.
Choose file
Click upload

Then when you return to your post, you click the paperclip again and select the picture(s) you want to insert.

You still have a file size but it will alert you if the file is too large or if it can't be uploaded.

Thanks so much. I would have never been able to figure that out. I am challenged:lol:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I finally found this conditioner...I have a hunch its works identical to the avocado version. I bought 2 bottles for $11! Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I found this one before the Avocado version. I love this stuff, the scent is awesome, it's inexpensive and my hair and scalp love it. I use it for my "in between" co-washes when I'm just trying to refresh. I bought two bottles myself.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I found this one before the Avocado version. I love this stuff, the scent is awesome, it's inexpensive and my hair and scalp love it. I use it for my "in between" co-washes when I'm just trying to refresh. I bought two bottles myself.

Yes the smell is really nice! Have you noticed any difference with how your hair responds to the two products ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Yes the smell is really nice! Have you noticed any difference with how your hair responds to the two products ? Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
I haven't actually used the Avocado one yet. I actually bought them because I couldnt find the Orange one and my bottle was half empty and I felt like they would have a similar effect on my hair. I later found the Orange ones and bought two just in case...:)

HopefulOne

I haven't actually used the Avocado one yet. I actually bought them because I couldnt find the Orange one and my bottle was half empty and I felt like they would have a similar effect on my hair. I later found the Orange ones and bought two just in case...:)

What conditioner are you talking about?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I know my thinking is wrong but can someone please explain to me why aren't steps 1 & 3 redundant? Don't they both cleanse/clarify/detox the hair?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

The smell identical so its my guess they work the same.

meka72

I did my bald spot routine this weekend and I slightly adjusted my routine to accommodate my hi po hair. One thing I added was a protein reconstructor. I used Shescentit okra reconstructor and my hair felt like new. I also adjusted my leave in conditioner to an acidic pH. I used diluted Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle and I added citric acid to lower the pH from 7 to 5. I also want to add that after my protein treatment, on my clay step I had more definition. So I'll stick with these adjustments until I'm done with this regimen :yep:.

Would you mind sharing how you've modified MHM to suit your hi-po hair? I'd like to try the regimen but am unsure how exactly to modify it. Would I clarify with ACV and water/conditioner in step 1; deep condition in step 2; mud wash in step 3; and I'm lost after that. Lol.

If anyone else has some suggestions, please feel free to chime in.

faithVA

I know my thinking is wrong but can someone please explain to me why aren't steps 1 & 3 redundant? Don't they both cleanse/clarify/detox the hair?

Remember that this method is created for low porosity hair who has a hard time accepting moisture.

Step 1 removes the gel so that water and conditioner from step 2 can be effective. Cowashing over product is often not effective on low porosity hair and can leave it feeling brittle.

Step 3 detoxes the hair, defines the curl and but at the same time removes the layer of conditioner from step 2 so the leave in can absorb. Not removing the conditioner can cause the leave in to just sit on top of low porosity hair.

faithVA

I was able to put my hair up into flat twist in 30 minutes. That's progress. This will allow me to do the regimen every 3 days. Styling time was prohibiting me from doing it before.

Now I need to practice shortening everything so I can be finished in two hours.

I will wash again on Thursday.

deborah11

The clarifying step is helpful to remove any of the styling products. It can help to allow the conditioner and moisture penetrate the hair as you were stating. This is critical for low porosity hair but not as critical for others. Some people can rinse and cowash with no issue.

You have to decide for your hair, if rinsing the gel and applying conditioner right after is effective enough to allow moisture in. If you aren't getting enough moisture in step 2, then the clay can definitely make your hair feel much dryer.

You want to get as much moisture in step 2 as possible. Maybe you can do a comparison. Do half your hair with step 1 and step 2 and the other half with just step 2.

These are just suggestions. Whatever helps you figure out what is really works for you is what should be your next step.

What are you using for your step 2 conditioner? TJTT may be the problem. I may need a more moisturizing conditioner for that step.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Remember that this method is created for low porosity hair who has a hard time accepting moisture.

Step 1 removes the gel so that water and conditioner from step 2 can be effective. Cowashing over product is often not effective on low porosity hair and can leave it feeling brittle.

Step 3 detoxes the hair, defines the curl and but at the same time removes the layer of conditioner from step 2 so the leave in can absorb. Not removing the conditioner can cause the leave in to just sit on top of low porosity hair.

So if I'm only doing the regimen every 3 days and CW the other days, I'm essentially not removing the gel from step 5 thus not getting any moisture in? My hair hasn't looked or felt this nice since before BC...could it be that my coated strands are giving the illusion of hydrated hair? I cannot imagine having to completely strip my hair of all product everyday in order to get moisture in after using gel. I just BC at 6 months post and I believe I have that super dry scab hair on top with softer coils growing in so I need lots of moisture at all costs. faithVA

Today with flash
ForumRunner_20150105_234415.jpg

Without Flash
ForumRunner_20150105_234616.jpg

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
What are you using for your step 2 conditioner? TJTT may be the problem. I may need a more moisturizing conditioner for that step.

Not necessarily. From how I understand it, you're removing all traces of your step 2 conditioner out in the clay step 3 so that your leave-in in step 4 can penetrate your strands.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Would you mind sharing how you've modified MHM to suit your hi-po hair? I'd like to try the regimen but am unsure how exactly to modify it. Would I clarify with ACV and water/conditioner in step 1; deep condition in step 2; mud wash in step 3; and I'm lost after that. Lol.

If anyone else has some suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
meka72 these are the steps that I'm going to do once I'm done with the bald spot regimen.
Step 1: ACV rinse or conditioner with lemon juice to clarify
Step 2: DC with 2 oz acidic conditioner, 2 oz liquid aminos, 4 oz of water
(I haven't tried this yet but found this recipe on MsDeekay blog)
(Add Protein conditioner when necessary for step 2 and follow with moisturizing DC full strength to balance my hair & omit the liquid aminos if using protein conditioner)

Step 3: Rhassoul clay, water, 1/4 tsp acv, with no oil or honey
Step 4: Leave-in conditioner
Step 5: Botanical Gel & seal with butter cuz gel isn't enough to seal in the moisture for my hi po hair.

faithVA

[USER said:
deborah11;20969175[/USER]]What are you using for your step 2 conditioner? TJTT may be the problem. I may need a more moisturizing conditioner for that step.

I have a few conditioners for step 2.

My favorite is Naturelle Grow's Herbal Blends. But I also have Curls Curl Ecstasy, all 3 of the Jessicurl conditioners, Curl Rehab Curl Junkie and probably something else :lol: I primarily use the Curls Ecstasy when I'm cowashing and the NG Herbal Blends when I DC.

faithVA

[USER=323671 said:
KiWiStyle[/USER];20969243]So if I'm only doing the regimen every 3 days and CW the other days, I'm essentially not removing the gel from step 5 thus not getting any moisture in? My hair hasn't looked or felt this nice since before BC...could it be that my coated strands are giving the illusion of hydrated hair? I cannot imagine having to completely strip my hair of all product everyday in order to get moisture in after using gel. I just BC at 6 months post and I believe I have that super dry scab hair on top with softer coils growing in so I need lots of moisture at all costs. faithVA

Today with flash
View attachment 292167

Without Flash
View attachment 292169

Do you need to cowash between doing the regimen? Can you not just rewet your hair?

Everyone's hair is different. But if you are low porosity and you put on gel and then put conditioner on top of it, it is quite likely that your cuticles are sealed enough by product that very little water gets into your strands during cowashing.

You can try rinsing your hair very well to see if that helps before cowashing.

If low porosity heads could just cowash and use clay, PinkeCube's method would not have even been necessary. We would have just used AketaFitGirls or DanaB's. But the whole removal of build up before cowashing and before the leave-in are what change the game for most of us.

I'm wondering why you are doing your hair so often though. With your hair so short you should be able to get 2nd and 3rd day hair with just a slight rewet. Cowashing in between shouldn't be necessary.

snoop

Does that mean that of I'm not using gel that I wouldn't necessarily need the bs rinse in step 1? I hate gel and decided to skip this step.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Do you need to cowash between doing the regimen? Can you not just rewet your hair?

Everyone's hair is different. But if you are low porosity and you put on gel and then put conditioner on top of it, it is quite likely that your cuticles are sealed enough by product that very little water gets into your strands during cowashing.

You can try rinsing your hair very well to see if that helps before cowashing.

If low porosity heads could just cowash and use clay, PinkeCube's method would not have even been necessary. We would have just used AketaFitGirls or DanaB's. But the whole removal of build up before cowashing and before the leave-in are what change the game for most of us.

I'm wondering why you are doing your hair so often though. With your hair so short you should be able to get 2nd and 3rd day hair with just a slight rewet. Cowashing in between shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the response. I was doing the 7 day straight regimen but when I missed a few days, I made up for them. Now that I am doing the regimen every 3 days, I CW in an attempt to gain more hydration because the regimen left my strands parched. I also apply moisturizer to soften my hair before bed. Let's say I rewet for 2nd or 3rd day hair, based on what you said, the water wont penetrate to hydrate anyway, is it just refresh? I also try to get some sort of definition to because my scarf gives me major helmet head and rewetting separates any sort of clump I had before. This is so complicated for me :-(.

faithVA

[USER=373223 said:
snoop[/USER];20969823]Does that mean that of I'm not using gel that I wouldn't necessarily need the bs rinse in step 1? I hate gel and decided to skip this step.

If you are low porosity you need step 1. If you are not sometimes you can skip step 1.

This is me speaking and not Pinkecube's philosophy, I think it is OK to use a gentle cleanser for step 1 whether it be a cowash cleanser or mixing 3 parts conditioner with 1 part shampoo. I have also used conditioner mixed with castille soap. Anything that can remove the product but not dry out the hair is useful. PinkeCube does not recommend this because cowash cleansers, castile soap, black soap, etc can leave a film.

However, with that said, modifications can slow down progress. That's my disclaimer :lol: It's just a matter of how much.

I don't use gel either. I am using a thick butter but it works for me. I alternate between using a lot of different things for step 1.

I believe you said your hair was defined to the root, if you have been skipping step 1 and it is working for you then keep going for it. You will know when you need to clarify.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
If you are low porosity you need step 1. If you are not sometimes you can skip step 1.

This is me speaking and not Pinkecube's philosophy, I think it is OK to use a gentle cleanser for step 1 whether it be a cowash cleanser or mixing 3 parts conditioner with 1 part shampoo. I have also used conditioner mixed with castille soap. Anything that can remove the product but not dry out the hair is useful. PinkeCube does not recommend this because cowash cleansers, castile soap, black soap, etc can leave a film.

However, with that said, modifications can slow down progress. That's my disclaimer :lol: It's just a matter of how much.

I don't use gel either. I am using a thick butter but it works for me. I alternate between using a lot of different things for step 1.

I believe you said your hair was defined to the root, if you have been skipping step 1 and it is working for you then keep going for it. You will know when you need to clarify.

I'm clarifying using the ACV option and will use Camille Rose Curlaide Moisture Butter for step 5 instead of gel this week.

Smiley79

This is the best thing I ever read! It's like the light bulb went on in my head. The first day of the MHM I did the Cherry Lola treatment and my hair felt like nothing I ever experienced before. :yep: Thereafter I used ACV for my Clarifying step. I will try Baking soda tonight and see if I notice a difference. My hair just might love the BS.

Smiley79

This is the best thing I ever read! It's like the light bulb went on in my head. The first day of the MHM I did the Cherry Lola treatment and my hair felt like nothing I ever experienced before. :yep: Thereafter I used ACV for my Clarifying step. I will try Baking soda tonight and see if I notice a difference. My hair just might love the BS. And now I understand why my hair felt SO moisturized/hydrated after I did the Cherry Lola treatment. So basically my goal is to open up my hair to accept moisture. Thanks faithVA

faithVA

Thanks for the response. I was doing the 7 day straight regimen but when I missed a few days, I made up for them. Now that I am doing the regimen every 3 days, I CW in an attempt to gain more hydration because the regimen left my strands parched. I also apply moisturizer to soften my hair before bed. Let's say I rewet for 2nd or 3rd day hair, based on what you said, the water wont penetrate to hydrate anyway, is it just refresh? I also try to get some sort of definition to because my scarf gives me major helmet head and rewetting separates any sort of clump I had before. This is so complicated for me :-(.

I think the main issue is finding out why your hair is parched. I think you need to drop the mud step for now and do a gentle cleanser for step 1 and get your hair back to what you think it should feel like. You won't be able to troubleshoot the method until then.

If you don't want to do that, then just cowash for a bit. But don't mix the two methods for now.

And as someone else said you may need a different conditioner for step 2. Does your hair feel soft and hydrated after the conditioner?