2015 APL/BSL Challenge

GGsKin

1. Current hair length
My hair is growing in layers. When pulled, the front reaches my top lip and the back reaches my collar bone.
2. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed
Natural
3. Transitioning Goal Month
Dec 2015 for at least my lower layers to reach APL.
4. Current Reggie and styling choices
No heat. MHM at least once a week, unless I am doing Intensive GHE (my longest stint so far has only been 2 weeks. Wigs are my current PS and I do large canerows underneath.
5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL?Post a beginning picture. I don't plan on changing much as most of my routine is brand new. I've dusted my ends (unstretched) since joining this challenge and will do this as necessary.
I will post a beginning pic soon. Always forget to take one on wash day.

Attachments

• 2015-01-17_14.35.02.jpg
    2015-01-17_14.35.02.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair is doing well despite the air being cold and wet almost daily. I have been moisturizing with Neutrogena silk touch cream and I sealed with argan oil.

I get my hair done again in about 2 weeks so I am in maintenance mode with my blowout. I cross wrap nightly and I usually bun during the day.

Leo24Rule

kupenda discounting weekends I counted 10 days including the first January 1st & 2nd. If business was closed the first week of January then 8 days. I just didn't think it would take so long.

Anyhoo...I received confirmation. So, I feel better now.

PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed, what did you change and how did you come to that decision? Was it look and feel or just on a whim?

It was partially because of moisture retention and partially laziness, I started cowashing/washing nightly and I now deep condition my hair while im in the shower 1x-2x week, I put the deep conditioner on, clip it up, wash my body, then rise it out. I also do a mild protein treatment one a week (in the same fashion as I do the deep conditioner except with a plastic cap). Those small changes helped with breakage, my hair is alot softer, less disrespectful and now I only spend about 3-4 hours a week on my hair.

Leo24Rule

Since I'm out of a moisturizer and trying to experiment with perfecting my hair regimen. Heck I don't know what I'm doing...I'll admit that! I used some of my sisters Pink Styling Lotion...(shhh) Yep, I went back to the old school method there. And then I applied Hemp grease on top, braided my hair in a ponytail, and baggied overnight.

ckisland

I was in a rush yesterday and my bed was awful, so I used my Giovanni condish.
Yep I picking up another bottle this weekend :lol: . Giovanni is my beau-thang :love3: . My hair is so soft and not frizzy :grin:

I think I might put some small or mini twists in this weekend. I need a change of pace.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay guys I just couldn't do the dark hair so I colored it. Heres a pic of the hair this morning very dark and the rest I'm sure you can tell it's been colored lol...oh and I'm loving wigging it so much! I get to play around with the extensions and do things I would not do to my natural hair if I still wanted to keep it. It's so much easier to put on my wig and go. My hands are out of my head so even better. Only oil my scalp at night and dont touch my head until wash day.

View attachment 293433

View attachment 293435

View attachment 293437

View attachment 293439

View attachment 293441

kupenda

I attempted my first blow out and sorta flat iron today. It was aight lol. Im going to touch up the crown tonight and wear my hair straight again tomorrow. In a bun. Im not interested in leaving my hair exposed to this cold

ETA Im not so sure Vanilla Silk is good for my hair anymore. This is the second time ive gotten lack luster results, even after using heat and letting it sit overnight. Ugh

Last edited:

youwillrise

Current hair length: back - APL, sides - almost APL, front - past bottom lip

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: natural

Goal Month: december - figure i'll play it safe. hoping to be BSL in back and APL in the other parts.

Current Reggie and styling choices: currently wearing mini twists (my own hair) and will continue to wear this style for as long as i can stand it. will be deep conditioning once a week and condition washing once a week. loc method moisturizing.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? stop being lazy lol. be consistent.

Post a beginning picture: i will post a picture when i take these twists out. dont know when that will be.

jasmyne14

I haven't touched my hair not once this week , as I am suffering from tonsillitis so I am literally stuck in bed but I hope to give my hair some loving next week when I feel better .

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I haven't touched my hair not once this week , as I am suffering from tonsillitis so I am literally stuck in bed but I hope to give my hair some loving next week when I feel better .

Aww sorry to hear hun...hope you feel better soon!

Eta- and yes tackle that head when you're up to it

PlainJane

I used heat last night smh. I need to go to heat rehab. But my hair did look amazing though since it had been roller set earlier this week and I used my curling wand. I picked up some Aussie moist 3 minute so I'm going to give it a try some time this weekend.

jasmyne14

Thank you ladies , Im dreading seeing the state of my hair. I know it's going to be as dry as the desert

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I want to join this challenge.

Current hair length: My longest layer is grazing my collarbones.

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural, heat trained, heat-damaged, whatever you wanna call it but those straight ends are not budging till I reach BSL.

Goal Month: Let's say December 2015 I want to be past APL. Maybe not BSL yet but past APL.

Current Reggie and styling choices: I DC/shampoo once a week, sometimes cowash in the middle of the week if i sweat a lot in the gym. I typically wear weaves maybe 75% of the time. When I am not in a weave, my styling choices vary, but it's usually a wet bun, a flexirod set, or flatironed hair that can easily be put in a bun. Frankly, I retain well with heat and my ends look great after going almost 2 months with a regimen of DC'ing and flatironing weekly. My regimen is pretty much the same in a weave: DC/shampoo once a week.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Stay in weaves as much as possible. Easiest way to retain length and remain cute for me.

Post a beginning picture: I will have to wait until I take down my weave, so i can do this in 4 months. I will look through my phone to see if i have one, but i doubt it. i'm such a different person this time around (shaved my head almost 2 years ago), i barely check my length like that.

Leo24Rule

While your resting up to get better why don't you have someone do your hair (mother, sis, friend, cousin)? Get well soon!

jasmyne14

Because everyone was either at work or too busy and they don't want to go near me while I'm sick , in case they get ill themselves but it's ok I'll manage

GGsKin

I've just finger detangled my hair about to embark on a round of MHM. Here's my length check starter pic::)

Attachments

• 2015-01-17_14.35.02.jpg
    2015-01-17_14.35.02.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 42

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I bought a full lace unit from one of the ladies here for my sister for her birthday. It came in the mail and its beautiful. I colored the wig black at the roots and lighter on the rest (original color is a 2 but my sis hair is a black 1b). Anyway i threw some loose wand curls in it. Anyway I just tried it on her last night but just as a fitting. I really didn't do any leave out or blending yet.

View attachment 293675

View attachment 293677

View attachment 293679

View attachment 293681

I also finished up a wig I was working on that I was waiting for the closure to come in. Bought the hair and closure from aliexpress. Its a wavy texture. I custom colored this hair as well. Here's pics of me constructing the wig few weeks ago when I got the hair and colored it.

View attachment 293683

And then yesterday when I completed the unit with closure. I threw some tighter wand curls in it as well.

View attachment 293685

View attachment 293687

I hve one more unit to make using the ivy flipover method on top as I donot have a closure for. This is a curly hair that I colored as well.

View attachment 293693

View attachment 293695

View attachment 293689

View attachment 293691

Eta- last pics not in order. The pics of me is the unit I finished last night. It saved in wrong spot.

traceedeebee

I bought a full lace unit from one of the ladies here for my sister for her birthday. It came in the mail and its beautiful. I colored the wig black at the roots and lighter on the rest (original color is a 2 but my sis hair is a black 1b). Anyway i threw some loose wand curls in it. Anyway I just tried it on her last night but just as a fitting. I really didn't do any leave out or blending yet.

View attachment 293675

View attachment 293677

View attachment 293679

View attachment 293681

I also finished up a wig I was working on that I was waiting for the closure to come in. Bought the hair and closure from aliexpress. Its a wavy texture. I custom colored this hair as well. Here's pics of me constructing the wig few weeks ago when I got the hair and colored it.

View attachment 293683

And then yesterday when I completed the unit with closure. I threw some tighter wand curls in it as well.

View attachment 293685

View attachment 293687

I hve one more unit to make using the ivy flipover method on top as I donot have a closure for. This is a curly hair that I colored as well.

View attachment 293693

View attachment 293695

View attachment 293689

View attachment 293691

Eta- last pics not in order. The pics of me is the unit I finished last night. It saved in wrong spot.
Awesome! You have a gift.

youwillrise

ive had these minitwists in for a whole 7 days already...well, tonight it'll offifcially be 7 days lol

ive been moisturizing/sealing the ends both in the am and pm. trying to keep those ends hydrated and protected. ive been wearing them down for the most part. so i really need to stay on top taking care of the ends.

been alternating as i am doublebutter cream and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie for moisture...and using a mix of castor, olive & coconut oils.

gonna condition wash and deep condition probably tomorrow. i would do it tonight, but im going to the city and wont be back until late and doubt ill feel like it lol. no work tomorrow, so, thatll be fine.