AMAZING FACT: DEVOTION

blazingthru

Crowing Communication

AN AMAZING FACT: Roosters do not always crow at the crack of dawn. Some will crow any time during the day. A rooster crows to protect his hens and ward off enemies, and they are very territorial. Since they are active during the day, they are most rambunctious in the morning when their testosterone level is highest.
“Cock-a-doodle-doo” is the phrase we often think of when a rooster jumps up on a fence post at the crack of dawn to welcome the new day. But lots of other things can set off a rooster to crow, such as a train passing by or a car starting. A cockerel (another name for rooster) is also very protective of his hens and will be quick to fight off any intruders.

Crowing roosters can sometimes be such a bother to neighbors that people look for ways to quiet their “fowl” talk. Locking him up at night, sealing off the cracks in the henhouse that let light in, or using blackout curtains are a few ways to fool him into holding back the crowing. Caponizing (neutering) a rooster will also sometimes help.

There is a familiar story in the Bible about a rooster crowing. Peter was told by Jesus in the upper room that he would deny Christ three times. Peter vehemently rebuked Jesus, saying, “If I have to die with You, I will not deny you!” (Mark 14:31). But it happened in the courtyard of the high priest—Peter denied Christ. “A second time the rooster crowed. Then Peter called to mind the word that Jesus had said to him, ‘Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times.’ And when he thought about it, he wept” (Mark 14:72).

How sensitive are we to God’s call to our hearts when we sin or deny Christ? How tuned in are we to the Holy Spirit’s whisper? Would we hear the Lord wooing us if we heard a rooster crow?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
- John 10:4

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Blaz, this is a beautiful and powerful message.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm reading your messages / devotions (I've subscribed to your thread and they come into my home email each day and they are truly a blessing. So are you, Dear Sister, so are you. :yep:

God bless you beyond your heart's deepest prayers.

:bighug:

blazingthru

Lifting the Needy

AN AMAZING FACT: According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, about 925 million people in the world are undernourished—that’s one in seven. Poor nutrition kills at least 5,000,000 children every year.

Starvation is only one of the heart-wrenching problems that affect the poor and the needy. Clean drinking water and proper medical care are two more critical needs, and there are many others.

Psalm 113 says that God “raises the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy out of the ash heap, that He may seat him with princes” (vs. 7, 8). This shows the great value God places on the poor. The Bible says, “Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?” (James 2:5). The people who suffer in poverty are as important to God as the rulers of the nations. They are just as surely His children.

It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the sad statistics, even to be stunned into inaction. After all, what can one person do against such widespread tragedy and desperation? The truth is we can all do something, at least in some small way, to alleviate the suffering in the world.

Love for God obligates us to act. As ambassadors for Christ, we must continue His work of lifting up the needy with our love.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Who is like unto the LORD our God, who dwelleth on high, Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth! He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill; That he may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people.
- Psalms 113:5-8

blazingthru

Which Prisoner?

AN AMAZING FACT: The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the developed world. The most recent statistics (2009) show 743 inmates for every 100,000 people. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 7.2 million people were on probation, in jail or prison, or on parole—or about 3.1 percent of all adults.
At the end of 2009, there were about 2.3 million inmates in the United States. The three states with the lowest ratio of prisoners per population were Maine, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. The states with the highest ratio were Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma.

There are different types of facilities to hold inmates. Local city and county jails hold less serious offenders. Prisons hold more serious offenders and range from minimum security to supermax facilities, which house the most dangerous criminals. Prison population charts look fairly level with moderate increases from the 1920s to the 1970s. But in the 1980s until today, the graph spikes upward very quickly.

At Jesus’ trial before Pilate, a prisoner named Barabbas was brought out. This hardcore criminal did not forget to pay a parking meter; he had been incarcerated for murder and was likely a member of the violent Jewish party called the Zealots. Pilate felt the pressure of the crowd, who wanted him to unjustly convict Jesus. He remembered the Jewish custom of releasing a prisoner during Passover, and he gave the mob a choice between Jesus and Barabbas.

The guilty man was set free, and the righteous Man was condemned. The true prisoner was unchained, and the One without fault was bound. The murderer got off and the Life Giver got put in. The one who truly deserved death, Barabbas, represents you and me. He was released so that the One who did not deserve death could take on the penalty of sin so that we could be set free.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.
- Mark 15:15

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I truly enjoyed this Word!

Which Prisoner?

AN AMAZING FACT: The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the developed world. The most recent statistics (2009) show 743 inmates for every 100,000 people. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 7.2 million people were on probation, in jail or prison, or on parole—or about 3.1 percent of all adults.
At the end of 2009, there were about 2.3 million inmates in the United States. The three states with the lowest ratio of prisoners per population were Maine, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. The states with the highest ratio were Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma.

There are different types of facilities to hold inmates. Local city and county jails hold less serious offenders. Prisons hold more serious offenders and range from minimum security to supermax facilities, which house the most dangerous criminals. Prison population charts look fairly level with moderate increases from the 1920s to the 1970s. But in the 1980s until today, the graph spikes upward very quickly.

At Jesus’ trial before Pilate, a prisoner named Barabbas was brought out. This hardcore criminal did not forget to pay a parking meter; he had been incarcerated for murder and was likely a member of the violent Jewish party called the Zealots. Pilate felt the pressure of the crowd, who wanted him to unjustly convict Jesus. He remembered the Jewish custom of releasing a prisoner during Passover, and he gave the mob a choice between Jesus and Barabbas.

The guilty man was set free, and the righteous Man was condemned. The true prisoner was unchained, and the One without fault was bound. The murderer got off and the Life Giver got put in. The one who truly deserved death, Barabbas, represents you and me. He was released so that the One who did not deserve death could take on the penalty of sin so that we could be set free.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.
- Mark 15:15

blazingthru

Adoption

AN AMAZING FACT: Steve Jobs, the founder and former CEO of Apple, was adopted as a baby.
From Aristotle to Johan Sebastian Bach to Gerald Ford, many famous people have been adopted. Perhaps no adoptee is more relevant to today’s culture, however, than Steve Jobs. As the founder and former CEO of one of America’s most valuable companies, Jobs is widely considered around the world as the leading innovator.

But it wasn’t always easy for him. His unwed birth parents were both graduate students in California—his dad Syrian and his mom American. Unable to take care of him, his mother made arrangements for him to be adopted during her pregnancy by a lawyer and his wife. When plans fell through shortly before he was born, because the first couple decided they wanted a girl instead, Jobs’s birth mother was forced to hand him over to another couple, neither of whom had a college degree. In fact, his dad didn’t even have a high school education. His mother agreed to give him to Paul and Clara Jobs, contingent upon them promising to send Steve to college some day. They made good on their promise, and 17 years later Steve enrolled in college—only to drop out six months later.

The rest is history. Along with a close friend, Steve went on to start Apple Computers at age 20. Apple is the leading technology brand in the world and flirts with the title of most valuable company in America—switching back and forth with Exxon-Mobile. And all this has been accomplished by a man who was put up for adoption by a mother who couldn’t take care of him.

One of the Bible’s favorite salvation themes is adoption. Though we were once in bondage and estranged from Christ, Paul says that we have been adopted into the family of God and we are now His sons and daughters. (See Galatians 4:1–7.) And since we are adopted into God’s family, we can attain to even greater heights than Steve Jobs!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- Romans 8:15

blazingthru

Fixed to a Cross

AN AMAZING FACT: The word “crucifixion” comes from the Latin meaning “fixed to a cross.” It was an ancient method of execution in which the victim’s hands and feet were bound and nailed to a cross. It was one of the most horribly painful and disgraceful methods of capital punishment, and as such was primarily reserved for traitors, captive armies, slaves, and the worst of criminals.

Many Christians carry the symbol of the “cross” stamped on their Bibles or hanging around their necks. But few have explored the depths of the horror of this form of execution. Crucifixion most likely began with the Persians, but later spread to the Assyrians, Scythians, Carthaginians, Germans, Celts, and Britons. Under Alexander the Great, Roman crucifixions became commonplace.

The Romans usually had the victim beaten and tortured, and then they forced the captives to carry their own cross to the crucifixion site. After binding the hands and feet and nailing the criminal with crude iron nails to the wooden cross, a small platform was placed under the feet to allow the victim to lift himself up for an agonizing breath, thus prolonging suffering and delaying death. Unsupported, the victim would hang entirely from nail-pierced wrists, severely restricting breathing and circulation. At times mercy would be shown by breaking the victim’s legs, causing death to come quickly. As a deterrent to crime, crucifixions were usually conducted in highly public places, with the criminal charges posted on the cross above the victim’s head.

Jesus was crucified with these posted words: “THE KING OF THE JEWS” (Mark 15:26). He was executed in a highly visible place. People mocked him. They laughed at Him, scorned Him, and wagged their heads. “He saved others,” they said, “Himself He cannot save” (v. 31). How true. Jesus chose to stay on that wooden cross in order to “save others.” Will you receive Him as your Savior?
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Galatians 2:20

blazingthru

The Heavens Are the Lord’s

AN AMAZING FACT: Our Milky Way Galaxy is part of what astronomers call the “Local Group,” which also includes the Andromeda Galaxy, the Triangulum Galaxy, and approximately 30 smaller galaxies. The Andromeda Galaxy, also known as M31, is our nearest neighboring spiral galaxy and is close to 2,500,000 light-years away. It can be seen from Earth’s Northern Hemisphere.
One of the greatest blessings on Earth is the ability to look up into the night sky and gaze upon the beautiful, creative masterpiece that we call the universe. But when we do this, we really have a very weak concept of what we are looking at (even the astronomers among us). There are more mysteries about the cosmos, it seems, than there are stars. Even of our home galaxy we know very little. Nevertheless, stargazing is an awe-inspiring activity. Our hearts are drawn to the Creator as we marvel at such stunning work.

A well-known psalm of David says, “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?” (Psalm 8:3, 4). It’s mind-blowing to realize that the God who knows every intricate detail of such a massive universe cares for us. He who placed and maintains each star and planet and galaxy—and knows them all by name—this same Creator God is very interested in the details of each of our lives because He loves us so much.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Ye are blessed of the LORD which made heaven and earth. The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD's: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.
- Psalms 115:15-16

blazingthru

Shimmie,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. It really means a great deal to me.

Blaz, this is a beautiful and powerful message.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm reading your messages / devotions (I've subscribed to your thread and they come into my home email each day and they are truly a blessing. So are you, Dear Sister, so are you. :yep:

God bless you beyond your heart's deepest prayers.

:bighug:

blazingthru

The Tallest Tree

AN AMAZING FACT: The world’s tallest standing tree is a Coast Redwood at 379.1 feet tall, located in Redwood National Park in California. The stoutest tree in the world (the girth of the tree) is an African Baobab, with a circumference of 52 feet. The largest tree (in volume) is a Giant Sequoia named General Sherman located in Sequoia National Park in California.

There has been much debate over which is the tallest tree in the world. This partly comes from poor methods of measuring and much exaggeration. Perhaps the simplest and most accurate way to measure giant trees is by climbing to the top and dropping down a tape measure. Historical claims of trees growing to 490 or 500 feet tall are now disregarded as unreliable and/or attributed to human error.

The northern coast of California seems to be the ideal location for tall trees to grow. In fact, of the 10 tallest trees in the world, three are in California and one is in Oregon (a Coast Douglas Fir measuring 326 ft.). Yet there are also four record-breaking trees in Tasmania, Australia. The other two countries with the tallest trees are the Philippines and Borneo.

Jesus was crucified on a wooden cross, sometimes referred to as a tree (1 Peter 2:24). When Christ died, it was as if a mighty tree had fallen. “And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last” (Mark 15:37). Actually, something did fall. “Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom” (v. 38). This refers to the inner veil that separated the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place in the sanctuary. Only the High Priest could enter beyond the veil to speak with God on behalf of the Lord’s people. The rending of this curtain signified that the old order of ceremonies and sacrifices had passed.

Jesus’ death on the “tree” of Calvary opened a new era when people could approach God directly through Christ in the heavenly sanctuary. We may now reach new heights because the tallest Tree had been cut down.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
- Galatians 3:13

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I love that!

Jesus’ death on the “tree” of Calvary opened a new era when people could approach God directly through Christ in the heavenly sanctuary. We may now reach new heights because the tallest Tree had been cut down.

blazingthru

The Biggest Cup

AN AMAZING FACT: Baskin-Robbins holds the Guinness World Record for the largest cup of ice cream ever made. It weighed in at 8,865 pounds!
In celebration of its 60th birthday, Baskin-Robbins decided it would create the world’s largest cup of ice cream. On September 13, 2005, the company made an 8,865-pound cup of ice cream at its Canton, Massachusetts, headquarters.

Which one of their 31 flavors did they use? Vanilla, of course! Though that is a huge cup of tasty ice cream, it is nowhere near the size of a cup of something else the Bible mentions. The author of Psalm 116 praises the Lord for “all his goodness to” him (v. 12 NIV). And in return, he says that he will “take up the cup of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord” (v. 13).

Could there be any cup in the universe that is bigger? The “cup of salvation” is big enough for everyone to take from, for God “desires all men to be saved” (1 Timothy 2:4). And Christ has certainly made the way for all to be saved, because as He sweat drops of blood in the garden of Gethsemane, He finally took up that cup after pleading with His Father to take it from Him (Matthew 26:36–46). Only it wasn’t 8,865 pounds of vanilla ice cream that He tasted; instead, as He lifted that cup to His quivering lips, the author of Hebrews says that He “tasted death for everyone” (Hebrews 2:9).

Thus, there is no reason why any of us should be lost! Christ has tasted death for every man and every woman and now invites us to drink from the biggest cup in the universe—the cup of salvation. Will you respond to His invitation?
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
- 1 John 2:2

blazingthru

The Brightest Light

AN AMAZING FACT: “The Torch” claims to be the world’s brightest flashlight. It is currently being tested by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most powerful flashlight, with 4,100 lumens of “raw light power.” It is supposedly 100 lumens brighter than the previous record holder. It burns so hot that it can ignite paper, melt plastic, and even cook an egg. All yours for only $149!
Ever since the invention of the light bulb, mankind has continued to make more powerful and brighter lights. One of the brightest lights in the world (claimed by its owners) is the tip of Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas, which contains a fixed-position spotlight that points directly upward. Its beam is supposedly 42.3 billion candlepower.

But you don’t need to go to Las Vegas to find the brightest light in the world. David writes in 2 Samuel 22:29, “For You are my lamp, O Lord; the Lord shall enlighten my darkness.” From the first day of Creation when God proclaimed, “Let there be light” (Genesis 1:3), to the final book of Revelation, which tells us, “There shall be no more night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light” (Revelation 22:5), there is a clear association between our Lord and light.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life” (John 8:12). Then in John 12:36, Christ admonishes us, “While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of the light.”

The Word of God, the Bible, is also referred to as light. In fact, David says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105). You do not need the world’s most powerful flashlight to find your way to heaven. God provides the light you need through the Bible. Turn on your light every day.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- 1 John 1:7

blazingthru

Don’t Bite

AN AMAZING FACT: Americans report about 16 shark bites, 8,000 venomous snakebites, 400,000 cat bites, 5 million dog bites, and 70,000 human bites each year. Of these, human bites are the most likely to cause infection because of the types of bacteria that live in our mouths.
To “backbite” means to say mean, slanderous, or spiteful things about people when they are not present—to talk about them behind their backs. This can be far more malicious than common gossip, and more damaging to our souls. Paul warns, “But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!” (Galatians 5:15).

Backbiting is always destructive. It can wreck friendships and dissolve marriages. It can tear apart a church community. As Christians, backbiting is something we always want to avoid. If we ever find ourselves as part of a conversation attacking another person, the best thing to do is walk away. Or if we know the accusation to be untrue, we might even speak up in defense of the person.

If we really love our neighbors as ourselves, if we have the fruit of the Spirit, if we belong to Christ, backbiting can have no part in our lives. Instead, we must “through love serve one another” (v. 13).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
- Galatians 5:14-15

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
- Galatians 5:22-24

blazingthru

David’s Dream Team

AN AMAZING FACT: The 1992 U.S. men’s Olympic basketball team, nicknamed the “Dream Team,” was the first American Olympic team to feature active NBA players. It was considered one of the strongest team in any sport and beat opponents by an average of 44 points each game. It won the gold against Croatia in the summer games in Barcelona.
Some of the famous names of this team include Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. In June 1992 the team made its debut in Portland, Oregon, where they easily beat the Cubans 136 to 57 and prompted their coach, Miguel Calderon Gomez, to say, “You can’t cover the sun with your finger.”

Fans and opposing players all welcomed the Dream Team to the Olympics and wanted their pictures taken with them. But not everyone liked them. They received death threats and were guarded by soldiers with Uzis. The team was elected to Basketball’s Hall of Fame in 2010.

In the Bible, we find a “dream team” in the Old Testament. David had his “mighty men,” 37 in all, who were powerful warriors with stories of great victory. God used these soldiers to give Israel victory over its enemies. These are men who fought lions and single-handedly dispatched hundreds of Philistines. Three men broke though a stronghold of Philistines at Bethlehem just to get a drink of water for David.

But victory does not go to men; the glory goes to God. Many times in the Bible you will read, as in 2 Samuel 23, “So the Lord brought about a great victory” (v. 12). David’s dream team knew where all the power came from for beating the enemy—strength comes from the Lord. When we face our own enemies, we can be part of a dream team of heavenly hosts who will fight for us.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them; For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.
- Deuteronomy 20:3-4

blazingthru

God Speaks

AN AMAZING FACT: Albert Einstein did not learn how to talk until after the age of two.
It’s hard to believe that the man who many consider to be one of the most brilliant geniuses—if not the most brilliant genius—in the history of the world had trouble learning how to talk. But such was the case with theoretical physicist Albert Einstein. His parents were so worried, in fact, that they consulted a doctor about the problem. The problem didn’t end after he began to finally talk, however. He was so quirky and slow in his speech that family members dubbed him “der Depperte,” or, “the dopey one.”

When he did make sense in his speech, he still left people perplexed. Upon seeing his sister Maja for the first time after her birth, he immediately asked, “Yes, but where are the wheels?”

We can be thankful that God has no such problem when it comes to speaking or making sense. This reality caused the psalmist to joyfully proclaim, “I called on the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place” (Psalm 118:5). We need not fear that God will not hear us when we cry out or that He will not respond with a voice of truth and peace.

This doesn’t mean, of course, that God will always respond to us instantly or even in the way that we want. But we can rest in the assurance that He will speak on our behalf and that His words are powerful enough to bring about amazing things.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
- Isaiah 55:10

blazingthru

Asking for Wisdom

AN AMAZING FACT: In the 17th century people began calling the third molars “the teeth of wisdom.” Later, this was shortened to “wisdom teeth.” The name has some basis in fact, since these teeth tend to appear during the transition into adulthood and by the time a person’s brain reaches its full development, which is about 25 years of age.
Solomon started out his kingship with the right attitude. He knew he needed discernment in order to be a good king, and he knew only God could provide it. Bowing before the Lord, he humbly prayed for wisdom, referring to himself as “a little child.”

In the same sense, we are all little children. We desperately need wisdom and guidance from our heavenly Father for all aspects of our lives. And God is glad to give it to us. “If any of you lacks wisdom,” the Bible tells us, “let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5). Here’s a promise we could claim every day!

Paul prayed that the early Christian believers would receive “the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him [Jesus]” (Ephesians 1:17). And we know that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 9:10). Knowing and honoring Christ is where wisdom begins.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.
- 1 Kings 3:7

Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?
- 1 Kings 3:9

blazingthru

Beautiful Buildings

AN AMAZING FACT: The Taj Mahal (meaning “crown of buildings”) is a mausoleum located in Agra, India. It was built in 1653 by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is often recognized as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world.
Myths and legends surround the construction of the Taj. As one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, there is great interest in this amazing structure. We know it took about 22 years and 22,000 people to construct the building. Some estimate that in today’s dollar, it cost about $100 million to construct. Apparently 1,000 elephants were used to transport building materials during construction. The architecture skillfully combines Persian, Islamic, and Indian styles.

The materials used to adorn the Taj Mahal include 28 different varieties of semi-precious and precious stones with exquisite inlay work. Depending on which time of day you view the tomb, you will see different colors—pink in the morning, white in the day, and golden in the moonlight. The pillars surrounding the Taj are slightly tilted outwards so that in the event of an earthquake they will fall away from the tomb itself.

The most beautiful temple in the world built in ancient times was surely Solomon’s temple. His preparations are described in 1 Kings chapters 4 and 5. His labor force was 30,000 strong. His father, David, had already assembled a large store of materials. But we find Solomon working with Hiram, king of Tyre, to obtain a large harvest of timber (cedar and cypress logs). Huge stones were quarried, and Solomon paid them well.

Solomon probably would have been unhappy to know that this temple was named after himself. When writing to Hiram, he states, “And behold, I propose to build a house for the name of the Lord my God” (1 Kings 5:5). Even the king of Tyre responds, “Blessed be the Lord this day,” giving thanks and glory to God (v. 7). The temple, which represents the life and work of Jesus, was to always point heavenward. Christ now stands in the heavenly sanctuary, alive and serving us. He is not dead in a tomb in Palestine.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
- Exodus 25:8

blazingthru

Sweeter Than Honey

AN AMAZING FACT: Honey is the only food that doesn’t spoil.
Honeybees collect a thin, sweet liquid called nectar. Nectar spoils easily, but once ripened into honey, it becomes a stable, high-density, high-energy food. Honey contains more than 20 complex sugars. Small amounts of other substances are also present in honey—flavoring materials, pigments, acids, and minerals—but sugar makes up the majority. This high sugar content is what prevents honey from spoiling. If not sealed in a comb or jar, honey absorbs moisture from the air and eventually crystallizes, but crystallized honey is still usable if melted back into a liquid.

Honey has many internal and external uses. It’s a short-term energy booster (although similar to refined sugar, it might come with a corresponding “carb crash”); it treats a sore throat; it enhances vitamin A absorption; it strengthens the colon; it helps remove parasites; local honey can help treat seasonal allergies; and some say a little honey every day even boosts the immune system. Externally, honey is valued in natural skincare as a moisturizer and acne fighter. Thanks to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties, honey helps clean and heal minor wounds.

Whether or not he knew the sweet substance’s complexities since revealed by modern science, David knew its value when he compared it to God’s law. God’s versatile law applies to every life situation you might find yourself in. And like honey, God’s law doesn’t go bad!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
- Psalms 19:9-10

blazingthru

Out of the Desert

AN AMAZING FACT: During the first Gulf War, a small team of U.S. Navy SEALS created a diversion so convincing that it completely fooled the Iraqi army. About a dozen SEALS stormed the beaches of Kuwait and created such havoc that Iraqi generals believed the U.S.-led attack was coming from the sea. Iraq sent the majority of their army to repel this fake attack—only to find they had been duped as the main U.S. force came through the Saudi Arabian desert! Within hours the war was over, and it all started with less than 20 soldiers!
We don’t think of the desert as a place where exciting things happen, but don’t be fooled like the Iraqi army. Deserts are places on our planet characterized by little rain or plant growth. Specifically, they receive less than 10 inches of water per year. They are mostly made up of sand, rocks, and gravel. Deserts cover about one-fifth of all the land in the world. The largest hot desert in the world is the Sahara in North Africa. It covers 3.3 million square miles. Others have names and nicknames like “Death Valley,” “The Empty Quarter,” and “The Place of No Return.”

But did you know that deserts are only second to tropical rain forests in the variety of plants and animals that live there? Even though they have a reputation for supporting little life, they have high biodiversity, including animals that remain hidden during daylight hours to control body temperature.

One of God’s greatest soldiers in the Bible was John the Baptist. This prophetic “voice in the wilderness” grew up in the desert. The Bible says, “So the child grew and became strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his manifestation to Israel” (Luke 1:80). Many scoffed at this “wild man” from the desert, but John caught the attention of a growing number of leaders. His message cut deep. His voice rang true. And he eventually introduced the greatest figure in history, Jesus the Lamb of God.

Don’t be surprised at what God can bring out of the desert!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
- Isaiah 40:3

blazingthru

Beyond the Honeymoon

AN AMAZING FACT: The honeymoon was an accepted practice of Babylon weddings as early as 4,000 years ago. For a month after the nuptials, the bride’s father supplied his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer, and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the “honey month”—or what we know today as the “honeymoon.”
Not all marriages find the first month after the wedding to be the sweetest. At odds with Pope Clement VII’s refusal to annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragón, King Henry VIII sent a delegation to the Vatican in an effort to patch up the political differences between himself and the pope. The Earl of Wiltshire led the delegation—he also took his dog.

As was customary, the earl prostrated himself before the pope and was about to kiss the pontiff’s toe. The pope, always willing to receive the homage, thrust his foot toward the earl, but the earl’s watching dog mistook the action and went to defend his master. Instead of a kiss, the pope received a bite on the toe!

This so enraged the Swiss Guard that they instantly killed the poor dog. Terribly angered, the earl stormed away and refused to proceed with the mission to reconcile England with Rome. After the earl’s return, King Henry took permanent steps to separate the Church of England from the jurisdiction of Rome. The Anglican Church was born.

Paul speaks of a union between a bride and groom as a depiction of Christ and the church. The mutual submission and sweet love between a husband and his bride will live beyond the honeymoon when there is a sacrificial love that goes beyond self. “Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband” (Ephesians 5:33). Let the special attentions of the honeymoon continue beyond the first month and into the rest of your married lives.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
- Deuteronomy 24:5

blazingthru

A Still Small Voice

AN AMAZING FACT: The highest wind speed ever recorded on earth occurred at Barrow Island, Australia. During typhoon Olivia, the wind reached 253 miles per hour.
For more than 60 years, the Mount Washington Observatory in New Hampshire boasted that it had recorded the fastest wind speed on Earth. In 1934, the observatory recorded a wind speed of 231 miles per hour. But in 1996, during typhoon Olivia, Barrow Island in Australia recorded a wind speed of 253 miles per hour. The amazing—and somewhat puzzling thing—is that it took the World Meteorological Organization 14 years to recognize a new record had been set. As they were scouring through some old data, they came across the record-setting wind speed.

It didn’t take long for news to spread about the new record. And the Mount Washington Observatory reluctantly conceded that the data had to be recognized, though they were still suspicious of why it took 14 years for the new record to be declared. Of course, whether it is 253 or 231 miles per hour, we wouldn’t want to be facing such powerful winds!

Interestingly, the prophet Elijah faced some very strong winds after escaping from evil Jezebel and waiting to hear from God. He also faced an earthquake and fire. But 1 Kings gives us some interesting insight into God’s glory and power. There we read that God was not in the wind, not in the earthquake, not in the fire. Instead, He spoke to Elijah in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:12).

This is how God prefers to speak and interact with us. He doesn’t want to overwhelm us with grandeur. He doesn’t desire to impress us with splendor. He wants to come close and converse with us as with a friend.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
- Psalms 46:10

blazingthru

God’s Body Armor

AN AMAZING FACT: Kevlar is a synthetic fiber developed in 1965 and was first used commercially in the early 1970s as a substitute for steel racing tires. It has a high tensile strength-to-weight ratio, making it five times stronger than steel. It is used for making a variety of items such as canoes, racing sails, and bicycle tires. It’s most well-known application is in body armor.
When Stephanie Kwolek first invented poly-paraphenylene terephthalamide, the solution was a cloudy substance that was usually thrown away. But she decided to persuade the technician she was working with, Charles Smullen, to test the solution. They were amazed to find the solution did not break like nylon. Her supervisor and lab director realized her discovery was significant because it opened the door to a new field called polymer chemistry.

In body armor, Kevlar fibers actually “catch” a bullet in a multilayer web of woven fabrics. Different layers in the weave perform different tasks. The “engaged fibers” absorb and disperse the energy of the impact, transferring it to other fibers at “crossover points” in the weave of the body armor. Of course, if you don’t wear the vest, it won’t protect you. The Department of Justice estimates that 25 percent of state and local police are not issued body armor. Of the 1,200 officers killed in the line of duty since 1980, more than 30 percent could have been saved by body armor. The risk of dying from gunfire is 14 times greater for an officer not wearing body armor.

Paul writes, “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Ephesians 6:11). The bullets we face are not ballistic missiles from guns. We need body armor that cannot be pierced by Satan because “we wrestle not against flesh and blood” (v. 12). God offers you something stronger than poly-paraphenylene terephthalamide. Take time today to put on the protective gear that will withstand the most powerful fire of the enemy.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- Ephesians 6:13

blazingthru

The Beauty of Persistence

AN AMAZING FACT: In the late 1800s, engineer Washington Roebling and his father set out to build a bridge from New York to Long Island. This was highly criticized as “impossible.” After a construction accident paralyzed Washington and killed his father, the project was stopped, but Washington never gave up. Although he could only move one finger, he worked out a way to communicate instructions to his wife; she translated these for engineers who again started working on the bridge. After 13 years, the Brooklyn Bridge was completed.

Human persistence is a noble quality.

Consider Henry Ford, who went broke five times before he founded the Ford Motor Company. Thomas Edison’s teachers called him “too stupid to learn anything,” and he was fired from his first two jobs. Dr. Seuss’s first book was rejected by 27 different publishers. Beethoven’s music teachers thought he was hopeless as a musician and composer. Before becoming prime minister at age 62, Winston Churchill was defeated in every election. Abraham Lincoln was demoted during his military service, was not very successful at business, and lost many runs for public office. But these people all persisted and eventually achieved success.

As motivating as human persistence can be, however, God’s persistence is greater and more inspiring. Because of the persistence of His love for us, He will complete the good work that He has begun in us. He will not give up on us. As long as we seek His help with an honest heart, He will never turn us away.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.
- Philippians 1:3-7

blazingthru

download.jpg

images.jpg

God’s Fishermen

AN AMAZING FACT: Researchers studying walleye vision found that orange is the color most visible to walleyes, followed by yellow and yellow green. Surprisingly, red is the least visible color. No wonder you find so many orange and chartreuse lures in the tackle boxes of savvy walleye anglers.
Another interesting fact about walleye fish is that a sudden decrease in light level triggers them to bite. That explains why the fish usually turn on just as the sun is disappearing below the horizon and the light intensity is rapidly decreasing. It also accounts for the biting that starts when the dark clouds preceding a thunderstorm roll in.

The very best time to catch a trophy walleye is five to seven weeks after the fish have completed spawning. That’s when the big females, famished after not having eaten for nearly two months, go on the prowl for food. And with the natural supply of baitfish at its annual low, they’re likely to hit almost anything you throw at them.

Maybe you can’t think of anything more boring than fishing, but many of Jesus’ first disciples were fishermen. The first time they heard Jesus, He asked them to push their boats out into the lake and let down their nets. Inside they laughed, “What does He know about fishing? You don’t catch much fish in the daytime!” But they agreed to do it anyway. “And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking” (Luke 5:6).

Peter appropriately responded to the amazing catch of fish. “When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying ‘Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!’” (v. 8). Jesus replied, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men” (v. 10). The proud fisherman was not ready to serve the Master fisherman until he was humbled. We are best prepared to go fishing when we recognize our limitations and listen to the Creator of fish and men.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.
- Luke 5:11

Last edited:

blazingthru

Brought Back to Life

AN AMAZING FACT: During the Middle Ages, individuals with leprosy were often required to witness their own funerals.
Ever since Bible times, people with leprosy have been stigmatized. They have been labeled “unclean” and banished from contact with other human beings, often sent to leper colonies to live out a sad, lonely, and miserable existence. This is because many believed that leprosy is highly contagious and that lepers were being punished by God for their sins.

Perhaps the most unfortunate treatment toward lepers came during the Middle Ages, when many were actually required to witness their own funerals. The infected person was brought before a priest and declared dead. This was often done while the leper stood in an empty grave as friends and family mourned. The “funeral” ended by having a shovel full of dirt tossed upon the living leper, signifying finality.

You can imagine the psychological effect this would have on someone who tragically came down with leprosy! For all intents and purposes, the person was “dead.” The Bible also takes a very negative view of leprosy. This is because leprosy served as an illustration of what it looks like to be spiritually dead.

Fortunately, the Bible also shares a number of glorious stories about individuals who were mercifully cured of this dreadful disease. Not surprisingly, many of them reacted with overwhelming joy. And this serves as a picture of the gospel. Though all of us have been dead in our sins, the Bible teaches that God “made us alive together with Christ … and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:5, 6).
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
- Ephesians 2:4-6

blazingthru

Bowing the Knee

AN AMAZING FACT: The largest and most complicated joint in the human body is the knee. It is a mobile pivotal hinge joint that permits flexion and extension. It is capable of slight turns that change the whole movement of the rest of the body. At birth babies do not have a conventional kneecap, but a growth formed of cartilage. It becomes a normal kneecap for girls at age three and for boys at age five.
It is much easier to reach the ground when you are kneeling. Bending over to pick up an object on the floor can stress your lower back. If you spent a couple of hours weeding your garden by bending over, you would feel the horrible results the next morning.

Kneeling also demonstrates submission, reverence, and obedience. Humility can be demonstrated by a kneeling posture. The apostle Paul writes, “Let this mind be in your which was also in Christ Jesus. … He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross” (Philippians 2:5, 8). Paul practiced humility himself by referring to himself as “the least of the apostles” (1 Corinthians 15:9). It took great humility for Christ to take the form of a “bondservant” and come “in the likeness of men” (Philippians 2:7).

On a visit to the Beethoven museum in Bonn, a young American student became fascinated by the piano on which Beethoven had composed some of his greatest works. She asked the museum guard if she could play a few bars on it; she accompanied the request with a lavish tip, and the guard agreed. The girl went to the piano and tinkled out the opening of the “Moonlight Sonata.” As she was leaving she said to the guard, “I suppose all the great pianists who come here want to play on that piano.”

The guard shook his head. “Paderewski [a famed Polish pianist] was here a few years ago and said he wasn’t worthy to touch it.” It is much easier to reach God when you are kneeling. Bow on your knees before the Lord today and remember who is most worthy of praise.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
- Ephesians 3:8

blazingthru

The 10 Best Tips for Resisting Temptation

Ever since the entrance of evil into our world, every person seeking to serve God has felt the battle between two opposing masters—and Satan is always ready to exploit our physical and emotional desires to sever our relationship with God (Isaiah 59:2). But God has called us to holiness—that is, to separate ourselves from sin. “As He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct” (1 Peter 1:15). Of course, without supernatural aid, we are powerless to resist the evil desires of the carnal heart, but we do have an active part to play in serving God … so here are 10 practical tips to help you overcome temptation.

#1 Remember the Reward God Has in Store for You
Eyes has not seen, nor ear heard, 
nor have entered into the heart of man 
the things which God has prepared for those who love Him” (1 Corinthians 2:9). It is much easier to resist temptation if you believe you are really saved. But caution—if you mistakenly think you can work your way into being saved, you will actually erode your ability to resist evil.

#2: Believe in the Badness of Sin
“So that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful” (Romans 7:13). Don’t be deceived when the devil portrays sin as something to be desired. Go back about 2,000 years to Calvary and see what sin did to Jesus. You need to come to the place where you love God so much that you would rather die than grieve Him.

#3: Get Ready to Flee
Few speed records are broken when people run from temptation. Sometimes temptation comes through a door deliberately left open. If you accidentally spilled kerosene all over your clothes and somebody lit a match nearby, where would you go? As far away as you could, as fast as possible! That should be our attitude toward temptation. “Flee fornication” and “flee from idolatry” (1 Corinthians 6:18; 10:14).

#4: Don’t Follow the Crowd
“Everybody’s doing it, so it must be okay.” The devil loves “lemming logic.” By letting the crowd dictate our values, we become like the crowd—and the crowd is usually wrong. “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction” (Matthew 7:13). Christians have to think for themselves and resist peer pressure. It’s okay to be different.

#5: Plan to Stay Busy
An idle person tempts the devil to tempt him. When God told Adam, “In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread,” it was intended to be a blessing for man to stay out of trouble (Genesis 3:19). Sin begins in the mind. If we stay focused on doing something good, we don’t have time to think about evil. Commit to being involved in serving Jesus through witnessing or serving the poor.

#6: Have a Plan
It’s always good to be prepared. Proverbs 22:3 teaches, “A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished.” If you have an area of temptation you know will drag you down, take whatever advance measures of prevention you can to keep from being overcome.

#7: Know Your Limitations
“Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall” (1 Corinthians 10:12). We must not trust in our own strength—be very cautious when thinking you have a handle on a certain temptation and say, “It won’t bother me anymore. I’m strong enough.” That’s when we are especially in a position to fall.

#8 Overcome Evil with Good
We leave ourselves open to sin when we fail to fill the vacuum left by forsaken bad habits. The secret is to learn to “eat what is good” (Isaiah 55:2). “Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21). If someone has insulted or cruelly used you, do not retaliate with evil but kindness.

#9 Care for Your Health
Jesus said, “The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41). Temptation often comes not at our strongest moments, but during our weakest. Most marital arguments occur at the end of the day when one or both spouses are tired and hungry. So get enough sleep and exercise and eat good food. Avoid sensitive discussions or demanding tasks during volatile times.

#10: Recognize Your Only Escape
“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13). We don’t have to rely on our power; we can rely on God’s strength! When you are tempted, go to God in prayer for His strength.

By God’s grace, you can resist every temptation. Constant prayer with God will go a long way! But remember that if you do fall, don’t give up. Many people who fall down, stay down, but God can help you recover lost territory, and He will save you from future temptations. The Christian life is often a progressive one. “My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1). Don’t let past failures be an excuse for future compromise. Instead, give thanks to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:57). Ask Him for overcoming power—and take it one day at a time.

blazingthru

Junk or Jesus?

AN AMAZING FACT: America’s largest landfill is Apex Regional Landfill, 20 miles northeast of Las Vegas. It has over 3,199,653 tons of garbage.

Talk about a lot of trash! The Apex Regional Landfill takes in over 9,000 tons of trash a day. Back in 2007, it was getting as much as 15,000 tons of trash a day. And, spanning 2,200 acres, the dump could keep taking trash at the same rate for the next 200 years.

It’s hard to believe, but this particular landfill is just one of many landfills that contribute to America’s burgeoning trash industry. All told, the trash industry in America does about $50 billion worth of business a year!

Perhaps just as hard to believe is what the apostle Paul considered to be trash. In Philippians 3:8 he says that he considered all things to be “as garbage” compared to gaining Christ and knowing Him (NLT). And Paul had a lot to cling to, humanly speaking. He was born into the right family, trained at the best institutions, and was zealous for law keeping. He had a lot going for him. Yet in the grand ledger of his life, he counted all his accomplishments as “debits” and knowing Jesus as a “credit.”

This is because he saw a vision of Jesus that made everything else in the world fade. He had been saved from his former life of persecuting God’s people. He had been redeemed from trying to earn his own salvation by performing good works. He had been granted a new heart and a new life. Thus everything else in this world was utter trash in Paul’s estimation.

What about us? Have we caught the same vision that Paul caught—thus causing all else in life to leave us dissatisfied in light of God’s glory and grace?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
- 1 Corinthians 2:2