Daily Devotions

blazingthru

The Visit of the Wise Men 12/27/2012

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem
- Matthew 2:1

God wanted the people to know about the coming of Christ to the earth. The priests should have taught the people to look for the Saviour; but they themselves did not know of His coming.

So God sent angels to tell the shepherds that Christ was born, and where they might find Him.

} So, too, when Jesus was presented at the temple, there were those who received Him as the Saviour. God had preserved the lives of Simeon and Anna, and they had the joyful privilege of testifying that Jesus was the promised Messiah.

} God meant for others, as well as the Jews, to know that Christ had come. In a country far to the east were wise men who had studied the prophecies concerning the Messiah, and who believed that His coming was near.

The Jews called these men heathen; but they were not idolaters. They were honest men, who wanted to know the truth, and to do the will of God.

God looks upon the heart, and He knew that these men could be trusted. They were in a better condition to receive light from Heaven than were the Jewish priests, who were so full of selfishness and pride.

These wise men were philosophers. They had studied the handiwork of God in nature, and had learned to love Him there. They had studied the stars, and knew their movements.

They loved to watch the heavenly bodies in their nightly march. If a new star should be seen, they would welcome its appearance as a great event.

On that night when the angels came to the shepherds of Bethlehem, the wise men had noticed a strange light in the sky. It was the glory which surrounded the angel host.

When this light faded away, they had seen in the heavens what looked like a new star. At once they thought of the prophecy which says, "There shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel." Numbers 24:17. Was this star a sign that the Messiah had come? They determined to follow it, and see where it would lead them. It led them into Judea. But when they came near to Jerusalem, the star grew so dim that they could not follow it.

blazingthru

The Three Wise Men contd 12/28/2012

Where is He that is born King of the Jews?
- Matthew 2:2

Supposing that the Jews could at once guide them to the Saviour, the wise men went into Jerusalem, and said, "Where is He that is born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east, and are come to worship Him.

"When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judea: for thus it is written by the prophet." Matthew 2:2-5.

Herod did not like to hear of a king who might some day take his throne. So he took the wise men by themselves, and asked when they first saw the star. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying: "Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found Him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship Him also."

When the wise men heard this, they started again on their journey. "And, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

"When they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary His mother, and fell down, and worshiped Him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto Him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh." Matthew 2:6-11.

The most precious things they had, the wise men brought to the Saviour. In this they set an example for us. Many give presents to their earthly friends, but have none for the heavenly Friend who has given them every blessing. We should not do this. To Christ we should bring the best of all we have--of our time, money, and our love.

We may give to Him by giving to comfort the poor, and to teach people about the Saviour. So we can help to save those for whom He died. Such gifts Jesus blesses.

blazingthru

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol?
It is a sin for a Christian to drink intoxicating beverages. It’s also a sin for a Christian to give an intoxicating beverage to someone else.

The Bible says, “Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to [him], and makest [him] drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness! Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD’S right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing [shall be] on thy glory” (Habakkuk 2:15, 16)

Alcohol causes massive health, mental, moral, and spiritual problems for individuals and society at large. As the result of alcohol consumption, more marriages have been destroyed, children and spouses have been abused, and lives have been lost in automobile accidents. About half the people in prison can trace their crime back to alcohol consumption.

The Bible warns, “Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things” (Proverbs 23:31-33). It’s best not to play with fire.

blazingthru

Jesus Presented in the temple 12/29/2012

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- Revelation 3:5

Joseph and Mary were Jews, and followed the customs of their nation. When Jesus was six weeks old, they brought Him to the Lord in the temple at Jerusalem.

This was according to the law which God had given to Israel, and Jesus was to be obedient in all things. So God's own Son, the Prince of Heaven, by His example teaches that we should obey.

Only the first-born son of each family was thus presented at the temple. This ceremony was to keep in memory an event that had taken place long before.

When the children of Israel were slaves in Egypt, the Lord sent Moses to set them free. He bade Moses go to Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and say:

"Thus saith the Lord, Israel is My son, even My firstborn: and I say unto thee, Let My son go, that he may serve Me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn." Exodus 4:22, 23.

Moses carried this message to the king. But Pharaoh's answer was, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go." Exodus 5:2.

Then the Lord sent fearful plagues upon the Egyptians. The last of these plagues was the slaying of the first-born son of every family, from that of the king to the lowliest in the land.

The Lord told Moses that every family of the Israelites must kill a lamb, and put some of the blood upon the door-posts of their dwellings.

This was a sign, that the angel of death might pass over all the houses of the Israelites, and destroy none but the proud and cruel Egyptians.

This blood of the "Passover" represented to the Jews the blood of Christ. For in due time, God would give His dear Son to be slain as the lamb had been slain; so that all who should believe in Him might be saved from everlasting death. Christ is called our Passover. (1 Corinthians 5:7.) By His blood, through faith, we are redeemed. (Ephesians 1:7.)

So as each family in Israel brought the eldest son to the temple, they were to remember how the children had been saved from the plague, and how all might be saved from sin and eternal death. The child presented at the temple was taken in the arms of the priest, and held up before the altar.

Thus it was solemnly dedicated to God. Then after it was given back to the mother, its name was written in the roll, or book, that contained the names of the first-born of Israel. So all who are saved by Christ's blood will have their names written in the book of life.

blazingthru

Part 2 12/30/2012

God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
- James 4:6

Joseph and Mary brought Jesus to the priest as the law required. Every day fathers and mothers were coming with their children, and in Joseph and Mary the priest saw nothing different from many others. They were simply working people.

In the child Jesus he saw only a helpless infant. Little did the priest think that he was then holding in his arms the Saviour of the world, the High Priest of the heavenly temple. But he might have known; for if he had been obedient to God's Word, the Lord would have taught him these things.

At this very time there were in the temple two of God's true servants, Simeon and Anna. Both had grown old in His service, and He showed them things that could not be made known to the proud and selfish priests.

To Simeon had been given the promise that he should not die until he had seen the Saviour. As soon as he saw Jesus in the temple, he knew that this was the promised One.

Upon the face of Jesus there was a soft, heavenly light; and Simeon, taking the child in his arms, praised God, and said:

"Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word: for mine eyes have seen Thy salvation, which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people; a light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy people Israel." Luke 2:29-32.

Anna, a prophetess, "coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of Him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem." Luke 2:38.

So it is that God chooses humble people to be His witnesses. Often those whom the world calls great are passed by. Many are like the Jewish priests and rulers.

Many are eager to serve and honor themselves, but think little about serving and honoring God. Therefore He cannot choose them to tell others of His love and mercy.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, pondered the far-reaching prophecy of Simeon. As she looked upon the child in her arms, and recalled what the shepherds of Bethlehem had said, she was full of grateful joy and bright hope.

Simeon's words called to her mind the prophecy of Isaiah. She knew that of Jesus were spoken these wonderful words:

"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined."

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:2, 6.

blazingthru

"In the last days ... men shall be ... lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God." 2 Timothy 3:1-4.

As the time of their probation was closing, the antediluvians gave themselves up to exciting amusements and festivities. Those who possessed influence and power were bent on keeping the minds of the people engrossed with mirth and pleasure, lest any should be impressed by Noah's last solemn warnings. Do we not see the same repeated in our day? While God's servants are giving the message that the end of all things is at hand, the world is absorbed in amusements and pleasure seeking. There is a constant round of excitement that causes indifference to God and prevents the people from being impressed by the truths which alone can save them from the coming destruction.

The world has gone crazy for pleasure. Only a small percentage of the citizens of our large cities attend church services regularly, but they jam pleasure resorts by the thousands. America is spending billions each year for pleasure and only "peanuts" (in comparison) for God. Pleasure-mad Americans waste billions of hours in front of the TV set in direct fulfillment of 2 Timothy 3:4

blazingthru

so I wanted to comment on the passage above, Right now I am feeling the weight of the world on me.

My divorce is almost at an end. I am scared to death, my mother is so ill seems like every time she gets better she is very sick again. She can't tell us that she is not sick, she doesn't even know. its heart breaking. No job insight its so easy to get off focused and on to things that are pleasure seeking because it provides some release, only you find yourself still seeking pleasure weeks and weeks later. I am minded of luke
which I will post and I am learning to let things go daily. have my time in the morning, pray without ceasing. Pray all the time, I need to pray before I go to the BR things are that bad.
yBlessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled.
Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake. 23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger.
Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
26 Woe unto you, hwhen all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the ifalse prophets.
27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. 30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And nas ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32 oFor if ye love them which love you, what pthank have ye? for qsinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But slove ye your enemies, and do good, and rlend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and tye shall be the children of uthe Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. 36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

blazingthru

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
(Genesis 2:18)

He who gave Eve to Adam as a helpmeet, performed His first miracle at a marriage festival. In the festal hall where friends and kindred rejoiced together, Christ began His public ministry. Thus He sanctioned marriage, recognizing it as an institution that He Himself had established. He ordained that men and women should be united in holy wedlock, to rear families whose members, crowned with honor, should be recognized as members of the family above.

Christ honored the marriage relation by making it also a symbol of the union between Him and His redeemed ones. He Himself is the Bridegroom; the bride is the church, of which, as His chosen one, He says, "Thou art all fair, My love; there is no spot in thee." Canticles 4:7. [Song of Solomon]

Christ "loved the church, and gave Himself for it; that He might sanctify and cleanse it; . . . that it should be holy and without blemish." "So ought men to love their wives." Ephesians 5:25-28.

The family tie is the closest, the most tender and sacred, of any on earth. It was designed to be a blessing to mankind. And it is a blessing wherever the marriage covenant is entered into intelligently, in the fear of God, and with due consideration for its responsibilities.

Those who are contemplating marriage should consider what will be the character and influence of the home they are founding. As they become parents, a sacred trust is committed to them. Upon them depends in a great measure the well-being of their children in this world, and their happiness in the world to come. To a great extent they determine both the physical and the moral stamp that the little ones receive. And upon the character of the home depends the condition of society; the weight of each family's influence will tell in the upward or the downward scale.

blazingthru

01/01/2013
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
(Philippians 2:4)

Every association of life calls for the exercise of self-control, forbearance, and sympathy. We differ so widely in disposition, habits, education, that our ways of looking at things vary. We judge differently. Our understanding of truth, our ideas in regard to the conduct of life, are not in all respects the same. There are no two whose experience is alike in every particular. The trials of one are not the trials of another. The duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing.

So frail, so ignorant, so liable to misconception is human nature, that each should be careful in the estimate he places upon another. We little know the bearing of our acts upon the experience of others. What we do or say may seem to us of little moment, when, could our eyes be opened, we should see that upon it depended the most important results for good or for evil.

blazingthru

A friend of mines Died. He died 12/31/2012 he didn't wake up. I was stunned and floored I saw him at church last week he was fine. He was smiling and being his usually cheerful self and then he went home and went to bed one night and did not wake up. To me and so many others it was a wakeup call. HE was young he was fine. he was doing well. now he is gone. I said to myself, do I leave things undone, have I said I love you to my family and to my friends, was I kind to someone I did not know. NOW we are dying young, we are not lingering as the older generation we go without warning. So again, Pray without ceasing. Pray for your family members don't' utter an unkind word (okay that I am working on) Be faithful in all that you do. THis is for me, i hope it helps others, I am having a tough time dealing with his death. mostly for his wife, who is always always giving encouraging messages to everyone on marriage and marriage relationships, she was in love they only been married for five years. He is gone now. She said she will see him again.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol?
It is a sin for a Christian to drink intoxicating beverages. It’s also a sin for a Christian to give an intoxicating beverage to someone else.

The Bible says, “Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to [him], and makest [him] drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness! Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD’S right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing [shall be] on thy glory” (Habakkuk 2:15, 16)

Alcohol causes massive health, mental, moral, and spiritual problems for individuals and society at large. As the result of alcohol consumption, more marriages have been destroyed, children and spouses have been abused, and lives have been lost in automobile accidents. About half the people in prison can trace their crime back to alcohol consumption.

The Bible warns, “Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things” (Proverbs 23:31-33). It’s best not to play with fire.

This is so true that it's literally 'piercing'...

Thank you blazingthru for sharing your devotions. You are true blessing and I mean this sincerely.

Happy New Year angel... to you and your family. :flowers:

Shimmie

Staff member
A friend of mines Died. He died 12/31/2012 he didn't wake up. I was stunned and floored I saw him at church last week he was fine. He was smiling and being his usually cheerful self and then he went home and went to bed one night and did not wake up. To me and so many others it was a wakeup call. HE was young he was fine. he was doing well. now he is gone. I said to myself, do I leave things undone, have I said I love you to my family and to my friends, was I kind to someone I did not know. NOW we are dying young, we are not lingering as the older generation we go without warning. So again, Pray without ceasing. Pray for your family members don't' utter an unkind word (okay that I am working on) Be faithful in all that you do. THis is for me, i hope it helps others, I am having a tough time dealing with his death. mostly for his wife, who is always always giving encouraging messages to everyone on marriage and marriage relationships, she was in love they only been married for five years. He is gone now. She said she will see him again.

:bighug:

Blaz, I'm sorry about your friend. Thank you for sharing the reminder to work on love...

Shimmie

Staff member
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
(Genesis 2:18)

He who gave Eve to Adam as a helpmeet, performed His first miracle at a marriage festival. In the festal hall where friends and kindred rejoiced together, Christ began His public ministry. Thus He sanctioned marriage, recognizing it as an institution that He Himself had established. He ordained that men and women should be united in holy wedlock, to rear families whose members, crowned with honor, should be recognized as members of the family above.

Christ honored the marriage relation by making it also a symbol of the union between Him and His redeemed ones. He Himself is the Bridegroom; the bride is the church, of which, as His chosen one, He says, "Thou art all fair, My love; there is no spot in thee." Canticles 4:7. [Song of Solomon]

Christ "loved the church, and gave Himself for it; that He might sanctify and cleanse it; . . . that it should be holy and without blemish." "So ought men to love their wives." Ephesians 5:25-28.

The family tie is the closest, the most tender and sacred, of any on earth. It was designed to be a blessing to mankind. And it is a blessing wherever the marriage covenant is entered into intelligently, in the fear of God, and with due consideration for its responsibilities.

Those who are contemplating marriage should consider what will be the character and influence of the home they are founding. As they become parents, a sacred trust is committed to them. Upon them depends in a great measure the well-being of their children in this world, and their happiness in the world to come. To a great extent they determine both the physical and the moral stamp that the little ones receive. And upon the character of the home depends the condition of society; the weight of each family's influence will tell in the upward or the downward scale.

I love this message. Marriage is indeed my Ministry and reading this entire message just blessed my heart so much.

The true meaning of Marriage can never be redefined. Thank you Blaz once again for sharing these wonderful posts. I may be in / out of the forum less frequently, however I will indeed look forward to reading your devotions which are indeed devoted with love for God.

Blessings Dear Blaz.... :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
so I wanted to comment on the passage above, Right now I am feeling the weight of the world on me.

My divorce is almost at an end. I am scared to death, my mother is so ill seems like every time she gets better she is very sick again. She can't tell us that she is not sick, she doesn't even know. its heart breaking. No job insight its so easy to get off focused and on to things that are pleasure seeking because it provides some release, only you find yourself still seeking pleasure weeks and weeks later. I am minded of luke
which I will post and I am learning to let things go daily. have my time in the morning, pray without ceasing. Pray all the time, I need to pray before I go to the BR things are that bad.

Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled.

Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake. 23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger.
Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
26 Woe unto you, hwhen all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the ifalse prophets.

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. 30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31 And nas ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32 For if ye love them which love you, what thanks have ye? for qsinners also love those that love them. 33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. ..

35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and rlend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and tye shall be the children of uthe Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Blaz... you shall indeed blaze through all of this and you shall renew your strength and rise up with wings as eagles.

I'm praying for you, indeed me and many, many others who love you so dearly. :Rose:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Blazin', I'm so sorry to hear about your friend... you, his wife and family are in my prayers.... your devotions, the messages ..do not fall on deaf ears.

blazingthru

Shimmie, Laela,

Thank you both so much, Your words have really touched my heart and lifted me up. Shimmie you are the most encouraging person I know. Thank you for always being a support even if you don't always agree with me. You have tried to see my point of view and I have always respected that about you. Love you my sister. I have grown so much from your words of wisdom, I endeavor to be as wise and as thoughtful as you have been. Laela you are a powerful sister and I enjoy your post, we don't always agree but we are all growing in Christ and hopefully from one another thank you from my heart. I appreciate your post. I hope these devotions will bless everyone, I need to keep focused and these help me so much. God bless you both in this New Year. Thank God for every day we have...

blazingthru

What does the Bible say about masturbation?
While the Bible doesn’t specifically mention masturbation, we can find a clear principle about the appropriate sexuality and how this practice isn’t in God’s will. In Matthew 5:28, Jesus teaches that when a man lusts in his heart, he has already committed the act of adultery. He also says that out of the heart proceed impure thoughts that defile a man (Matthew 15:19, 20).

Masturbation is fornication in the biblical sense. The word “fornication” in scripture means “immorality.” The “works of the flesh,” listed in Galatians 5:19-21, include fornication. Also, listed is “uncleanness” which means “impurity,” and “lasciviousness,” which is “unrestrained lust.” All three include the act of masturbation. “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” Of course, this means, “unless they repent.” When a person asks for forgiveness and forsakes any sin, he is at once accepted of God (1 John 1:9).

When we are in doubt, we should ask ourselves, “What would Jesus do?” Jesus never married, but we know He was subject to the same passions and temptations as we. He had to subdue and control His inherit passions, for He was without sin.

blazingthru

What does the Bible say about divorce and remarriage?
If Jesus had left lots of loopholes in the gospel for divorce, by our natural evil bent, people would abuse the exceptions. God intended marriage to be indissoluble — and the foundational unit of all society.

Since the fall, people have found any reason to broaden the door for divorce, way beyond the Bible. And even though a couple might be legally divorced by the laws of the land, they might not be divorced in the sight of God. According to the higher law, they are not free to remarry.

Basically, by the words of Jesus, the scriptures teach that there are no grounds for divorce except marital unfaithfulness or death. “But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery” (Matthews 5:32).

There is also one more exception. “But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace” (1 Corinthians 7:16.

Clearly, in these passages, the innocent party is free to remarry. The purpose for divorce in the Bible is to dissolve the marriage and render the innocent party free to remarry. Otherwise, why divorce?

blazingthru

1/2/2013
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
(Philippians 2:4)

Every association of life calls for the exercise of self-control, forbearance, and sympathy. We differ so widely in disposition, habits, education, that our ways of looking at things vary. We judge differently. Our understanding of truth, our ideas in regard to the conduct of life, are not in all respects the same. There are no two whose experience is alike in every particular. The trials of one are not the trials of another. The duties that one finds light are to another most difficult and perplexing.

So frail, so ignorant, so liable to misconception is human nature, that each should be careful in the estimate he places upon another. We little know the bearing of our acts upon the experience of others. What we do or say may seem to us of little moment, when, could our eyes be opened, we should see that upon it depended the most important results for good or for evil.

blazingthru

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
(Philippians 2:2)

Many have borne so few burdens, their hearts have known so little real anguish, they have felt so little perplexity and distress in behalf of others, that they cannot understand the work of the true burden bearer. No more capable are they of appreciating his burdens than is the child of understanding the care and toil of his burdened father. The child may wonder at his father's fears and perplexities. These appear needless to him. But when years of experience shall have been added to his life, when he himself comes to bear its burdens, he will look back upon his father's life and understand that which was once so incomprehensible. Bitter experience has given him knowledge.

The work of many a burden bearer is not understood, his labors are not appreciated, until death lays him low. When others take up the burdens he has laid down, and meet the difficulties he encountered, they can understand how his faith and courage were tested. Often then the mistakes they were so quick to censure are lost sight of. Experience teaches them sympathy. God permits men to be placed in positions of responsibility. When they err, He has power to correct or to remove them. We should be careful not to take into our hands the work of judging that belongs to God.

The conduct of David toward Saul has a lesson. By command of God, Saul had been anointed as king over Israel. Because of his disobedience the Lord declared that the kingdom should be taken from him; and yet how tender and courteous and forbearing was the conduct of David toward him! In seeking the life of David, Saul came into the wilderness and, unattended, entered the very cave where David with his men of war lay hidden. "And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the Lord said unto thee, . . .

I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. . . . And he said unto his men, The Lord forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the Lord's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord." The Saviour bids us, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Remember that soon your life record will pass in review before God. Remember, too, that He has said, "Thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: . . . for thou that judgest doest the same things." 1 Samuel 24: 4-6; Matthew 7:1, 2; Romans 2:1.

blazingthru

Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee: For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others.
(Ecclesiastes 7:21-22)

We cannot afford to let our spirits chafe over any real or supposed wrong done to ourselves. Self is the enemy we most need to fear. No form of vice has a more baleful effect upon the character than has human passion not under the control of the Holy Spirit. No other victory we can gain will be so precious as the victory gained over self.

We should not allow our feelings to be easily wounded. We are to live, not to guard our feelings or our reputation, but to save souls. As we become interested in the salvation of souls we cease to mind the little differences that so often arise in our association with one another. Whatever others may think of us or do to us, it need not disturb our oneness with Christ, the fellowship of the Spirit. "What glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God." 1 Peter 2:20.

Do not retaliate. So far as you can do so, remove all cause for misapprehension. Avoid the appearance of evil. Do all that lies in your power, without the sacrifice of principle, to conciliate others. "If thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee; leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." Matthew 5:23, 24.

If impatient words are spoken to you, never reply in the same spirit. Remember that "a soft answer turneth away wrath." Proverbs 15:1. And there is wonderful power in silence. Words spoken in reply to one who is angry sometimes serve only to exasperate. But anger met with silence, in a tender, forbearing spirit, quickly dies away.

blazingthru

1/4/2013

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
(Ephesians 4:1-3)

Under a storm of stinging, faultfinding words, keep the mind stayed upon the word of God. Let mind and heart be stored with God's promises. If you are ill-treated or wrongfully accused, instead of returning an angry answer, repeat to yourself the precious promises:

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21.

"Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. And He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday." Psalm 37:5, 6.

"There is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known." Luke 12:2.

"Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but Thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place." Psalm 66:12.

We are prone to look to our fellow men for sympathy and uplifting, instead of looking to Jesus. In His mercy and faithfulness God often permits those in whom we place confidence to fail us, in order that we may learn the folly of trusting in man and making flesh our arm. Let us trust fully, humbly, unselfishly in God. He knows the sorrows that we feel to the depths of our being, but which we cannot express. When all things seem dark and unexplainable, remember the words of Christ, "What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter." John 13:7.

Study the history of Joseph and of Daniel. The Lord did not prevent the plottings of men who sought to do them harm; but He caused all these devices to work for good to His servants who amidst trial and conflict preserved their faith and loyalty.

So long as we are in the world, we shall meet with adverse influences. There will be provocations to test the temper; and it is by meeting these in a right spirit that the Christian graces are developed. If Christ dwells in us, we shall be patient, kind, and forbearing, cheerful amid frets and irritations. Day by day and year by year we shall conquer self, and grow into a noble heroism. This is our allotted task; but it cannot be accomplished without help from Jesus, resolute decision, unwavering purpose, continual watchfulness, and unceasing prayer. Each one has a personal battle to fight. Not even God can make our characters noble or our lives useful, unless we become co-workers with Him. Those who decline the struggle lose the strength and joy of victory.

Laela

^^ awesome Word! The development of Christian grace requires conflict, and time....

blazingthru

"And the stars shall fall from heaven." Matthew 24:29.

The great star shower took place on the night of November 13, 1833. It was so bright that a newspaper could be read on the street. One writer says, "For nearly four hours the sky was literally ablaze."* Men thought the end of the world had come. Look into this. It is most fascinating, and a sign of Christ's coming.

*Peter A. Millman, "The Falling of the Stars," The Telescope, 7 (May-June, 1940) 57.

For further commentary on this event please continue reading:

Stars Fall From Heaven
In 1833, the last of the signs appeared which were promised by the Saviour as tokens of his second advent. Said Jesus, "The stars shall fall from heaven." Matt. 24:29. And John in the Revelation declared, as he beheld in vision the scenes that herald the day of God: "The stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig-tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind." Rev. 6:13. This prophecy received a striking and impressive fulfillment in the great meteoric shower of November 13, 1833. That was the most extensive and wonderful display of falling stars which has ever been recorded; "the whole firmament, over all the United States, being then, for hours, in fiery commotion. No celestial phenomenon has ever occurred in this country, since its first settlement, which was viewed with such intense admiration by one class in the community, or such dread and alarm by another." "Its sublimity and awful beauty still linger in many minds. . . . Never did rain fall much thicker than the meteors fell toward the earth; east, west, north, and south, it was the same. In a word, the whole heavens seemed in motion. . . . The display, as described in Professor Silliman's journal, was seen all over North America. . . . From two o'clock until broad daylight, the sky being perfectly serene and cloudless, an incessant play of dazzlingly brilliant luminosities was kept up in the whole heavens."

"No language indeed can come up to the splendor of that magnificent display; no one who did not witness it can form an adequate conception of its glory. It seemed as if the whole starry heavens had congregated at one point near the zenith, and were simultaneously shooting forth, with the velocity of lightning, to every part of the horizon; and yet they were not exhausted--thousands swiftly followed in the track of thousands, as if created for the occasion." "A more correct picture of a fig-tree casting its figs when blown by a mighty wind, it is not possible to behold."

On the day following its appearance, Henry Dana Ward wrote thus of the wonderful phenomenon: "No philosopher or scholar has told or recorded an event, I suppose, like that of yesterday morning. A prophet eighteen hundred years ago foretold it exactly, if we will be at the trouble of understanding stars falling to mean falling stars, in the only sense in which it is possible to be literally true."

Thus was displayed the last of those signs of his coming, concerning which Jesus bade his disciples, "When ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors." Matt. 24:33. After these signs, John beheld, as the great event next impending, the heavens departing as a scroll, while the earth quaked, mountains and islands removed out of their places, and the wicked in terror sought to flee from the presence of the Son of man.

Many who witnessed the falling of the stars, looked upon it as a herald of the coming Judgment,--"an awful type, a sure forerunner, a merciful sign, of that great and dreadful day." Thus the attention of the people was directed to the fulfillment of prophecy, and many were led to give heed to the warning of the second advent.

blazingthru

1/5/2013
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
(Proverbs 17:22)

We need not keep our own record of trials and difficulties, griefs, and sorrows. All these things are written in the books, and heaven will take care of them. While we are counting up the disagreeable things, many things that are pleasant to reflect upon are passing from memory, such as the merciful kindness of God surrounding us every moment and the love over which angels marvel, that God gave His Son to die for us. If as workers for Christ you feel that you have had greater cares and trials than have fallen to the lot of others, remember that for you there is a peace unknown to those who shun these burdens. There is comfort and joy in the service of Christ. Let the world see that life with Him is no failure.

If you do not feel lighthearted and joyous, do not talk of your feelings. Cast no shadow upon the lives of others. A cold, sunless religion never draws souls to Christ. It drives them away from Him into the nets that Satan has spread for the feet of the straying. Instead of thinking of your discouragements, think of the power you can claim in Christ's name. Let your imagination take hold upon things unseen. Let your thoughts be directed to the evidences of the great love of God for you. Faith can endure trial, resist temptation, bear up under disappointment. Jesus lives as our advocate. All is ours that His mediation secures.

Think you not that Christ values those who live wholly for Him? Think you not that He visits those who, like the beloved John in exile, are for His sake in hard and trying places? God will not suffer one of His truehearted workers to be left alone, to struggle against great odds and be overcome. He preserves as a precious jewel everyone whose life is hid with Christ in Him. Of every such one He says: "I . . . will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee." Haggai 2:23.

Then talk of the promises; talk of Jesus' willingness to bless. He does not forget us for one brief moment. When, notwithstanding disagreeable circumstances, we rest confidingly in His love, and shut ourselves in with Him, the sense of His presence will inspire a deep, tranquil joy. Of Himself Christ said: "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father hath taught Me, I speak these things. And He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." John 8:28, 29.

blazingthru

I have a close friend I am exhausted by her trials, she does not try to see God's hand in it she only sees the negative. SHe doesn't see it could have been so much worst then it is. She is still working, Still shopping and buying whatever she wants, folks could only dream of those days. I want to shop again, but now I only want to buy things I can give away. I found some inexpensive yarn, I really wanted to buy it I thought of so much I could make but 32 dollars at this point in my life is a lot of money. I spent 8 times that on yarn some time ago and didn't blink. Now its just a wish. But I look at my pile and say well I can make something with it and give to friends and strangers, I am grateful for what I have and I wish I could get her to find joy in what she already has and see how she can bless someone else. So I will listen to her but I will not comment on the failures I will only speak of the positive, perhaps then she can see the joy in her life, I am not happy with my current situation but I find joy every single day.

Laela

I understand.. it can be difficult, and at times frustrating, interacting with others who are not grateful or even know how to be grateful... gratefulness heals any heart condition.. It's an open secret, but everyone must come to that realization on their own...even if it takes years. I'm dealing with this with my young relatives now.. all you can do is pray for the best for them, and have the patience of Job in the meantime. lol

I have a close friend I am exhausted by her trials, she does not try to see God's hand in it she only sees the negative. SHe doesn't see it could have been so much worst then it is. She is still working, Still shopping and buying whatever she wants, folks could only dream of those days. I want to shop again, but now I only want to buy things I can give away. I found some inexpensive yarn, I really wanted to buy it I thought of so much I could make but 32 dollars at this point in my life is a lot of money. I spent 8 times that on yarn some time ago and didn't blink. Now its just a wish. But I look at my pile and say well I can make something with it and give to friends and strangers, I am grateful for what I have and I wish I could get her to find joy in what she already has and see how she can bless someone else. So I will listen to her but I will not comment on the failures I will only speak of the positive, perhaps then she can see the joy in her life, I am not happy with my current situation but I find joy every single day.

blazingthru

He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
(Luke 16:10)

The most careful cultivation of the outward proprieties of life is not sufficient to shut out all fretfulness, harsh judgment, and unbecoming speech. True refinement will never be revealed so long as self is considered as the supreme object. Love must dwell in the heart. A thoroughgoing Christian draws his motives of action from his deep heart love for his Master. Up through the roots of his affection for Christ springs an unselfish interest in his brethren. Love imparts to its possessor grace, propriety, and comeliness of deportment. It illuminates the countenance and subdues the voice; it refines and elevates the whole being.

Life is chiefly made up, not of great sacrifices and wonderful achievements, but of little things. It is oftenest through the little things which seem so unworthy of notice that great good or evil is brought into our lives. It is through our failure to endure the tests that come to us in little things, that the habits are molded, the character misshaped; and when the greater tests come, they find us unready. Only by acting upon principle in the tests of daily life can we acquire power to stand firm and faithful in the most dangerous and most difficult positions.

We are never alone. Whether we choose Him or not, we have a companion. Remember that wherever you are, whatever you do, God is there. Nothing that is said or done or thought can escape His attention. To your every word or deed you have a witness--the holy, sin-hating God. Before you speak or act, always think of this. As a Christian, you are a member of the royal family, a child of the heavenly King. Say no word, do no act, that shall bring dishonor upon "that worthy name by the which ye are called." James 2:7.

Study carefully the divine-human character, and constantly inquire, "What would Jesus do were He in my place?" This should be the measurement of our duty. Do not place yourselves needlessly in the society of those who by their arts would weaken your purpose to do right, or bring a stain upon your conscience. Do nothing among strangers, in the street, on the cars, in the home, that would have the least appearance of evil. Do something every day to improve, beautify, and ennoble the life that Christ has purchased with His own blood.