Thin/Low Density Crown area, What are:

Ivonnovi

1. Your go to styles?
Mine is a low bun; or hair combed back (my version of a comb-over)

2. Your strand thickness, condition?
Mine strands are fine, and sparsley populated, and usually dry. Moisture and end retention are my main concerns while I coax my dormant hair follicles back into action.

3. Product usage?
I've discovered that less product works better for me. Especially for curl definition.
I try to flatiron every 4-6 weeks, Thermal protectors are minimally OK for me. I'd rather just use grapeseed oil and call it a day.

4. Do you have a routine or products that have improved the area?
Prenatal vitamins combined with regular scalp massages have helped. I actually have a scalp massager, it's heaven with a handle.

ETA pictures of Where I'm at now and a pic of my hair with Sisterlocks before the last year's take-down (Yes, they can be unraveled)

Attachments

• scalp massager.jpg
    scalp massager.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 260
  • scalpClose.jpg
    scalpClose.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 167
  • scalpDistant.jpg
    scalpDistant.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 164
  • aftChop2.jpg
    aftChop2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Ivonnovi

:bump:
Almost 200 views with out any replies?,,, I know some of y'all share my pain (I'm very self-conscious about my crown thats why I took my locks down. Let's talk and post and share!

BonBon

I have a few thin/fragile spots on my crown.

Its weird because I sent my hair off for analysis and they said they couldnt see any thinning issues and my bulbs were healthy. Possibly that I will always be lower density in that area but I will be working on keeping as much on my head as possible in 2015

I have started with JBCO and will soon add essential oils such as mint, lavender and rosemary. Bentonite clay scalp masks on wash day. I have come off the contraceptive pill as it was messing with my hormones. I shall see what happens and decide what to do from there.

Anaisin

I have a really thin/fine front and crown and lower medium density. I just wear wng's & wng buns, when my hair seems to thin from the buns I wears mini braids/twists. Haven't mastered straight hair yet

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wear my hair down or in a bun. My hair is low density all over, but the crown seems the thinnest to me. I use Neutrogena silk touch cream as a leave in and I seal with argan oil. I have been massaging my scalp and using mn to help with thickness. So far I think it's working. I will get my hair straightened tomorrow and I can monitor my crown's progress

Ivonnovi

Thank you all for your replies, can we share some pictures to show what we're working or starting with?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I will take a pic of my thin spot tomorrow. It's more noticeable when my hair is straight. I barely notice it when I wear it natural

spacetygrss

I have lower density in the crown. For me, it's definitely genetic as every woman on my Mom's side, regardless of hair type, natural state of the hair, etc gets it with age. I've been able to maintain mine to a decent point by regular massage with stimulating oils, low manipulation, avoidance of heat, etc. I've used rogaine off and on (it does seem to help---I'll probably be more Consistent now that the foam is available for women now). It's really only noticeable if I put my hair in big twists, although I can definitely feel the difference, especially when I pull my hair into a ponytail.

ETA: my thinner area is only about 1 square inch right at the crown. I think that it's so small because I was expecting it because of family history so was able to jump on it right away. I also think that being natural helps a lot. My mom kept relaxing her hair even when she first noticed hers and ended up with a very large area. It stopped getting larger when she finally gave up relaxers. She saw a dermatologist, had her scalp tested, etc and it's female pattern baldness.

Last edited:

spacetygrss

I have lower density in the crown. For me, it's definitely genetic as every woman on my Mom's side, regardless of hair type, natural state of the hair, etc gets it with age. I've been able to maintain mine to a decent point by regular massage with stimulating oils, low manipulation, avoidance of heat, etc. I've used rogaine off and on (it does seem to help---I'll probably be more Consistent now that the foam is available for women now). It's really only noticeable if I put my hair in big twists, although I can definitely feel the difference, especially when I pull my hair into a ponytail. ETA: my thinner area is only about 1 square inch right at the crown. I think that it's so small because I was expecting it because of family history so was able to jump on it right away. I also think that being natural helps a lot. My mom kept relaxing her hair even when she first noticed hers and ended up with a very large area. It stopped getting larger when she finally gave up relaxers. She saw a dermatologist, had her scalp tested, etc and it's female pattern baldness.

Just realized that it looks like I only have a tiny area of low density from this post. The entire crown hair is actually lower density (if 10 is perfectly dense, my crown is a 6 or 7). However, I inly have a tiny spot that is scalps.

OP, have you been to a dermatologist?

Ivonnovi

Just realized that it looks like I only have a tiny area of low density from this post. The entire crown hair is actually lower density (if 10 is perfectly dense, my crown is a 6 or 7). However, I inly have a tiny spot that is scalps.

OP, have you been to a dermatologist?

Naw, I have not. I'm certain that it's due to hereditary and my former habit of relaxing every 4-5 weeks for y-e-a-r-s.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I tried to get a good pic of my crown, but it was hard doing it by myself. This is how it looks

Attachments

• 20141223_194021.jpg
    20141223_194021.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 122

Ivonnovi

The Scalp Massager is supposed to improve blood flow and circulation. This increased blood flow should lead to better internal nutrition to the follicles and better hair growth.

shar0503

I have bad thinning at my crown. I do scalp massages every other night. I also learned that my crown loves moisture especially water. I spray it every night with water. I had micro locks and cut then all off in April 2014. My hair is growing pretty good. Still thin. I also have fine bumps that come if I go too long without washing my hair. My follicles are very pronounced so when I do scalp massages I put a warm to hot wash cloth on that area to open the pours, then I use any oil to do my scalp massage, then afterwards, i put a cool cloth on that area to close the pours. It feels amazing and it helps the oil to penetrate quicker.

faithVA

Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner. I think you caught me during the holidays.

I would agree with shar0503 about the moisture, more specifically water. The best thing for my scalp is a full dose of water every 3 days and no more than 4. The crown is the first parts of the scalp to dry out and the hair there tends to be drier. This dry hair then sucks even more moisture out of the crown.

Giving the scalp more water more often has been the most beneficial. I have also done oil blends with essential oils and I do mud detox on my scalp often. However, without the water those things were only party effective.

I can't credit any type of massage because I rarely do a scalp massage outside of washing my hair.

I documented my journey in my blog. And I have my crown pictures in my album.

faithVA

I have bad thinning at my crown. I do scalp massages every other night. I also learned that my crown loves moisture especially water. I spray it every night with water. I had micro locks and cut then all off in April 2014. My hair is growing pretty good. Still thin. I also have fine bumps that come if I go too long without washing my hair. My follicles are very pronounced so when I do scalp massages I put a warm to hot wash cloth on that area to open the pours, then I use any oil to do my scalp massage, then afterwards, i put a cool cloth on that area to close the pours. It feels amazing and it helps the oil to penetrate quicker.

hmm, I'm going to remember that hot towel on the crown. That sounds like a good idea. I've just been putting on oil and baggying to increase the heat.

Ivonnovi

I decided that till spring I'll do 6 weeks HMH (hide my hair) and 6 weeks what-ever-goes styling with my hair. During the entire time I will be using an essential oil blend and regular massages to encourage growth while taking prenatal vitamins.

I placed a picture in the following link of my current crochet braids, they are parted so that I can easily access and pamper (treat) my crown area.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=20985237#post20985237

I'm hoping to see increase growth stimulation (new hairs) after 6 weeks.

sugarbaybie

Ivonnovi I read where one girl who has a family history of it resolved hers by buying caffeine and placing in her shampoo and conditioner.

• Also use an anti hair loss vitamin like a dht blocker.
  • Also try nizoral 1% or 2% on that area. apply to scalp only and follow up with a rich moisturizing conditioner to the hair because it's REALLY drying.
  • Also a massager to that area. Put on your night stand and use 5-10 mins before going to sleep.
  • Try essential oils to the scalp area there. I'm trying this. Several are antiandrogenic so I cant see them not working. Rosemary. Lavender. And Neem oil. You can add a carrier oil to keep them from burning and help absorption. Jojoba oil is said to be closest to natural scalp oil and absorbs very well.
  • Also don't forget MSM with some vit C. It works very well to slow and prevent further fall out.
  • Don't forget to go and get blood work. These things will thin your hair.
- low iron AND iron stores. (even if iron is ok mk sure to ck iron stores)
- thyroid issues high or low
- low vitamin D
- low magnesium
- low b vitamins or biotin

Hisbeloved

Have any of you tried liquid gold hair growth oil? I've only been on it for 3 weeks but I think I'm about to be a believer. My thin spots from relaxers and bald spots from weaves are starting to fill in.