Hi everyone, introducing myself!

I've been lurking on the old boards, this one and even LHL, most questions I had were answered by reading the threads. Now I'm in a rut. The longest my hair has been was a little past bra strap, and I got bored and kept cutting it. Now I want to grow it out again, but I don't want to use a relaxer anymore. What products can I use to smooth my hair so that it is manageable? I've considered pressing and even braids, even though I really don't want braids. I just want to go round without looking like heat miser until I can get it where it was. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

G

Re: Hi everyone, introducing myself!Wraps!

The wrap on Natural Hair (Illustrations)

Rear view:
http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/straight_up/experiment_under_wraps/mvc-011f.html

Side view:
http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/straight_up/experiment_under_wraps/mvc-010f.html

Wrap other side:
http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/straight_up/experiment_under_wraps/mvc-012f.html

wrap and after:
http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/straight_up/experiment_under_wraps/ This is a wonderful pictorial illustration to give an idea on what I was saying,

Natural hair pics: http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/straight_up/

Misschichi PRINT IMMEDIATELY
February 22 2002 at 5:53 PM
No score for this post Mahalialee4 (no login)

Picture your head as a giant roller. Picture your wet har parted at the right fornt in a diagonal part. Now that you have the picture clear in your mind proceed. You are going to be very good at doing this wrap!
Clockwise wrap starting at right front diagonal part begin your sections of which there should be 8, evenly all around your head in nice parts. When you have finished, give yourself a hand. REMEMBER
The wrap should look neat and should be pinned at regular intervals, Make sure the pins are plastic tipped on the end. Remember, as you pull out a clip, replace it with a large pin to prevent losing the neatness of your wrap. You can wrap your hair wet. If you wrap it dry, you can do it with the plastic caps for a deep moisturizer or without to retain the set you already have. If you do it with the caps, your hair may come out looking like you just had a fresh perm. Mahaliailee4 Bonjour. When wrapping the front sides and back of head, evenly smooth your wet or dry hair with your hands as you go, but do not pull hair too taut. Be sure to secure ends well in the wrap to avoid crinkly crisp ends.

YOUR HEAD IS A GIANT ROLLER………DIAGRAM Mahalialee4

Section hair into about 8 equal sections starting at a part in right front of head. (Diagonal part) Hold in place with large metal clips. Then begin at the left front part and begin wrapping the hairr around your head (think of a giant roller!!!), removing and replacing clips as you go. May take 12-16 clips. Then take large long bobbi pins and replace the clips with the pins, smoothing with your hand as you go. When you are finished, your head should look like a ball of cotton, with the the strands all going in one direction, clockwise, and lying snugly against the scalp. Make sure that the ends are pinned down. Check the back with a hand mirror. Then add your silk scarf. Tie in the back and then in the front, taking care not to place too much pressure on the temple area or tie too tightly. Your silk scarf is your best friend!

If you desire to moisturize hair without losing the straightness, just do the above and put on about 5-6 caps (plastic shower caps) over the scarf, and leave on overnight or three hours minimum for maximum straightness. Take the shower caps off for about 1-1/12 hours before you take off the silk scarf and remove the pins. By then your hair should be swinging. If hair is not as straight as you like, repeat, but wrap in the opposite direction. The more you repeat it the straighter it gets. If you decide you like the crinkly straight look, think Lisa Nicole Carson, you should only need to do it once, and be sure that you do a hot oil treatment at least once a week, and oil the ends as needed. Mahalialee4 Bonjour.

When I am wrapping at the back, I stick a clip upside down or pointing down to hold the sections that are wrapped in place so it does bulk or bunch up. All of my parts are on an angle and I start the parts from an imaginary dot in the toop of my head. If my hair was spread out all around me, it would be a round pie shape. (You know how the slices all come into a point in the middle of the pan) butI part at an angle to get a smoother, snugger wrap. So try beginning every part from an imaginary point at the top of your head, and there should not be any extra hair left over. I pin from the bottom in the front, but always add at least 3 extra pins at the top of the sections in the back. I hope this helps. Let me know how this works for you. Bonjour

Re: Natural straightening methods? My Techniques:
March 26 2002 at 3:48 PM
No score for this post Mahalialee4 (Login Mahalialee4)

YOU ONLY USE A COMB FOR PARTING.SMOOTHING IS DONE WITH YOUR HANDS ONLY.

Technique One- Roller Wrap Natural Hair:
Picture your head as a giant roller. Picture your wet hair parted at the right front in a diagonal part. Now that you have the picture clear in your mind proceed. You are going to be very good at doing this wrap!
Clockwise wrap starting at right front diagonal part begin your sections of which there should be 8, evenly all around your head in nice parts. When you have finished, give yourself a hand. REMEMBER
The wrap should look neat and should be pinned at regular intervals, Make sure the pins are plastic tipped on the end. Remember, as you pull out a clip, replace it with a large pin to prevent losing the neatness of your wrap. You can wrap your hair wet. If you wrap it dry, you can do it with the plastic caps for a deep moisturizer or without to retain the set you already have. If you do it with the caps, your hair may come out looking like you just had a fresh perm. Mahaliailee4 Bonjour. When wrapping the front sides and back of head, evenly smooth your wet or dry hair with your hands as you go, but do not pull hair too taut. Be sure to secure ends well in the wrap to avoid crinkly crisp ends.
Section hair into about 8 equal sections starting at a part in right front of head. (Diagonal part) Hold in place with large metal clips. Then begin at the left front part and begin wrapping the hairr around your head (think of a giant roller!!!), removing and replacing clips as you go. May take 12-16 clips. Then take large long bobbi pins and replace the clips with the pins, smoothing with your hand as you go. When you are finished, your head should look like a ball of cotton, with the the strands all going in one direction, clockwise, and lying snugly against the scalp. Make sure that the ends are pinned down. Check the back with a hand mirror. Then add your silk scarf. Tie in the back and then in the front, taking care not to place too much pressure on the temple area or tie too tightly. Your silk scarf is your best friend!

If you desire to moisturize hair without losing the straightness, just do the above and put on about 5-6 caps (plastic shower caps) over the scarf, and leave on overnight or three hours minimum for maximum straightness. Take the shower caps off for about 1-1/12 hours before you take off the silk scarf and remove the pins. By then your hair should be swinging. If hair is not as straight as you like, repeat, but wrap in the opposite direction. The more you repeat it the straighter it gets. If you decide you like the crinkly straight look, think Lisa Nicole Carson, you should only need to do it once, and be sure that you do a hot oil treatment at least once a week, and oil the ends as needed. When I am wrapping at the back, I stick a clip upside down or pointing down to hold the sections that are wrapped in place so it does bulk or bunch up. All of my parts are on an angle and I start the parts from an imaginary dot in the toop of my head. If my hair was spread out all around me, it would be a round pie shape. (You know how the slices all come into a point in the middle of the pan) butI part at an angle to get a smoother, snugger wrap. So try beginning every part from an imaginary point at the top of your head, and there should not be any extra hair left over. I pin from the bottom in the front, but always add at least 3 extra pins at the top of the sections in the back. I hope this helps. Let me know how this works for you. Mahalialee4.

Technique Two:

I shampoo in the shower. Aussie Moist Shampoo for this one. Do not manipulate the hair. Part hair down the middle. Apply shampoo to scalp and squeeze through to the ends of each side of your parted hair.Rinse Hair well.Squeeze Dry: Then I part it straight down the middle front to back. I apply my Amalaika Leave In from Body Shop; I take my cut off pantyhose sections (black) ...looks cool and make two ponytails. (Indian Style). I then wrap cutoffs around the length of each low ponytail. It takes a total of 4 cutoffs for each side. I wrap my hair in a silk scarf with the tails stacked on top of each other at the back and tie the scarf. It drys over nite or less. The next day I take off the cuffs )LOL)and I do not comb or brush. Then I use LaCoupe Straightening Balm that contains no alcohol and take a tiny dab of pure shea butter and do the pony tail cuff thing all over again. After this, I only take it down to oil the ends with a dab of shea butter. It is less hassle for me than a wrap and gets the hair just as straight only I end up with more body and my hair is fluffier. I can then separate it with my fingers and brush it gently no problem as the hair is detangled from the leave in, balm and shea butter. This is great for growing it out with a minimum of fuss if you want to rinse your hair every nite or shampoo every 3rd day. I think that you will like both techniques.
Hope this helps!

Allandra

Welcome to the LHCF.

soulchild

Welcome honeylove! You may want to try using a serum. There was a post here recently on that topic. Good luck on going natural.

Peachtree

I'll try to help ya', but I'll need sum hair info from u...

How long is it now that u've cut it?
How much new growth do u have?
What is ur regime (if u have one)?
How do u typically style it?
What current products do u use (& how do u use them)?