Is it better to be natural and flat iron for straight hair or go relaxed?

is it healthier to be low-mani relaxed or flat ironed-natural?

• being low-mani relaxed gal rocking rollersets is best

Votes: 43 16.5%
  • being natural and flat ironing when you get the urge is healthier

Votes: 122 46.9%
  • both are equally bad

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • both are fine

Votes: 71 27.3%

• Total voters
C

cieramichele

I say being natural and flat ironing with MOISTURE BLOCK to prevent damage! :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have thought about this question too a few weeks ago when I was contemplating relaxing my hair. But then I thought more about it, and decided not to relax my hair for the simple fact that I went natural to get away from chemicals. Like Pinkskates said, I like having the option of wearing my hair straight whenever I feel like it and not have to worry about chemicals. At the same time, I don't like the time it takes to get my hair straight with heat, but I'm not someone that's trying to keep my hair straight indefinitely.

xxBlackRosexx

I have thought about this question too a few weeks ago when I was contemplating relaxing my hair. But then I thought more about it, and decided not to relax my hair for the simple fact that I went natural to get away from chemicals. Like Pinkskates said, I like having the option of wearing my hair straight whenever I feel like it and not have to worry about chemicals. At the same time, I don't like the time it takes to get my hair straight with heat, but I'm not someone that's trying to keep my hair straight indefinitely.

sO glad you decided not to relax, your hair is stunning gurl.:grin:

genesis132

great question, op. When I was natural for 4 years, I probably only straightened my hair with a flat iron about 2-3 times. I did feel that it defeated the purpose of being natural IMO. It was just too much trouble for ME to straigthen and then have it revert in 2 hours...but that's MY experience. So, I'd say relax if a straight look is what your looking for 90% of the time..but if you take care of your hair in it's natural state, heat is okay.

fluffylocks

If i were straightening my hair all/most of the time as a natural, i think that my hair would be healthier, and i would save more time if i relaxed and woere rollersets....

I think relaxing is a one time damage thing, and that you can maintain your hair, get your moisture and protein levels constant, and you can have the straight hair with low damage methods

I think that heat is damaging, and espeically if your going to be doing this constantly, and that its harder to keep moisturie levels up, keep your hair strong ect. if your constantly using lots of heat to straighten.

ajoyfuljoy

I've really enjoyed reading all the responses in this thread and everyone's stories!

I decided to keep relaxing for now. I'm very low mani with my relaxed hair and I have a routine that works for me. I've also found a new relaxer that I love (silk elements for sensitive scalp) and a new relaxer routine (add olive oil, protein and only process for 16 minutes with and hoping for a reduction in time in the future).

I'm maybe 2-3 inches from blunt cut APL (I'm 6 feet tall so it's taking a while), so I'm just enjoying the journey and letting it do what it do!

Last week I had a twisty curly hairdo that I loved, this week I'm bunning and next week I'll be rollersetting. I still have options. We all do. That's one great thing about having kinky hair!

Last edited:

cocoberry10

I think it depends on your hair (individually)

I know women who have been able to press their hair for the last 10+ years with no problem, and have achieved healthy, thick, lush hair and little breakage, even though they are using a fair amount of heat.

On the other hand, I know just as many women who relax and their hair is long and healthy too.

Some people's hair does better in a relaxer and others need their natural hair for it to be at its best!

BostonMaria

I actually do both... I rollerset, then use the flatiron to smooth out the edges.

I don't know if its "better" to be natural and do these things, but IMHO I just feel like why should I pay somebody to put something in my hair to achieve the same look I can do for free at home? Plus I get to wet my hair and have curly hair again. I can't have straight hair for more than 2 days or I start getting anxious and want my naps back LOL

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
This is exactly the reason why I'm considering transitioning. Your hair is so pretty and I would love that type of versatility.

I actually do both... I rollerset, then use the flatiron to smooth out the edges.

I don't know if its "better" to be natural and do these things, but IMHO I just feel like why should I pay somebody to put something in my hair to achieve the same look I can do for free at home? Plus I get to wet my hair and have curly hair again. I can't have straight hair for more than 2 days or I start getting anxious and want my naps back LOL

Transformer

I don't know. I'm under my Pibbs rollersetting my natural hair NOW! My roots might have a date with the flatiron in another 30 minutes.

thaidreams

I think they are both equally bad since they both can (if not well taken care of) put a great deal of strain on the hair. If you take the time out to nurture your hair I think it could do well either way.

TemiLnd

I wouldnt say its better to do either. I was natural till I was 20 and I hated the flat iron so i stayed away and just blow dried with a comb attachment. Then i relaxed and have lots of breakage etcc (mostly due to lack of knowledge). Now im transitioning and I avoid heat as much as possible.
I think once im fully natural, I will get blow out twice a year - summer and bday...

STLCoverGirl

I totally agree. I do think if you take care of your hair, whether relaxed or natural, your hair can be healthy while using heat.

Last edited:

Ms. Syl

Both are fine; all choices depends on personal preference and the knowledge of ones own hair needs. I am relaxed because it is easy for me to care for my hair since it is thick (except for my thinning crown) and coarse. I was natural for 1 year and although I got it pressed with a straightening comb by a stylist, it didn't last long because I perspire a lot and I had many "bad hair days". I prefer the straight look for my hair. I did , however ,stop dyeing since I thought that the two processes was too much for my hair. Thus, I am much happier with my hair nowadays.:yep:

lilvudufly

I wore a perm from age 12 until age 27. The perm worked for me with the styles that I liked. It wasn't until I actually wanted to focus on healthy long hair that I realized I wanted my natural hair back. That is my story but I have seen plenty of relaxed ladies with beautiful hair so I think it comes down to maintenance.

jennboo

Imo, in terms of the outcome...it is better to be natural and flat iron. Pressed natural hair looks so much healthier, full, thick, and shiny. Relaxed hair usually looks limp to me and lacks the ooomph factor of straightened natural hair.

However, both (relaxers and heat) are damaging over time.

Relaxers may be the better choice if you perspire easily/frequently, like to wash your hair very frequently, and prefer to wear your hair straight all the time.

RedVelvet310

IMO I think it's best to be natural and straighten... there are actually a lot of salons out there that would do this professionally for naturals (and they do their best to not damage the hair). I have a friend that does this and hair hair is beautiful AND thick.. people always think its permed.

TrustMeLove

Imo, in terms of the outcome...it is better to be natural and flat iron. Pressed natural hair looks so much healthier, full, thick, and shiny. Relaxed hair usually looks limp to me and lacks the ooomph factor of straightened natural hair.

However, both (relaxers and heat) are damaging over time.

Relaxers may be the better choice if you perspire easily/frequently, like to wash your hair very frequently, and prefer to wear your hair straight all the time.

I actually don't agree with this statement due to proof by way of LHCF. This website is full of relaxed ladies...and most (not all) of their heads of hair look no where near limp.

Now in some cases, like mine my relaxed hair was limp. No body except for right after I came from the salon. I have very fine strands that is why the relaxer was a no go for me and even my press hair is very fine, but TONS OF BODY. :grin::grin:

Now, I personally would suggest natural and flat iron. In my REAL LIFE folks I see...well..to be blunt I don't know anyone with healthy hair who has a relaxer. I know a lot of pressed (pressed probably 80% of the time) folks with very long tresses and some of them even have color.

But, I KNOW that relaxed folks can have healthy long hair as proof from LHCF.

jennboo

I actually don't agree with this statement due to proof by way of LHCF. This website is full of relaxed ladies...and most (not all) of their heads of hair look no where near limp.

Now in some cases, like mine my relaxed hair was limp. No body except for right after I came from the salon. I have very fine strands that is why the relaxer was a no go for me and even my press hair is very fine, but TONS OF BODY. :grin::grin:

Now, I personally would suggest natural and flat iron. In my REAL LIFE folks I see...well..to be blunt I don't know anyone with healthy hair who has a relaxer. I know a lot of pressed (pressed probably 80% of the time) folks with very long tresses and some of them even have color.

But, I KNOW that relaxed folks can have healthy long hair as proof from LHCF.

Hi, thanks for your opinion :yep:.

Misshairdiva

I did an experiment on my hair trying to get it to grow. Before I went natural, I spent a year of only relaxing my fine hair with the kiddie relaxers every 3 to 4 months. I would only wash,condition, and bun. 11 months later no length. I then found this forum, and stop putting the relaxers in my hair, now 11 months later and I have atleast 4 inches of length that I was able to grow and keep.
I guess it depends on your hair type. During the spring/summer I wash and go. Winter, let my curly fine hair air dry, and then flat iron with shea butter.

Sugar Brown

I think this depends on how your hair reacts to heat, chems, etc. and how much patience or time you have on your hands.

My hair was nice when it was relaxed but I had split ends for days and I was stuck at APL. My natural hair is healthy and thriving but I think flat ironing is a hassle.

To answer the question, I think it's better to be natural and flat iron if you know how to do it right. But, if I wanted mostly straight hair I would just relax.

empressri

Eh....IMO relaxing was an unhealthy option for me so I stopped, but I also learned that there are some serious cons to flat ironing all of the time. For instance, when I wanted to wear my hair in it's natural state, I learned that some of my hair had been damaged by the heat and wouldn't revert!!! But at that time, I didn't know what else to do with my hair, so I would just flat iron it after each wash.

Now I wear it straight twice a year but I also get my trims at that time.

My bff has a relaxer and it left some scabs on her scalp so I wish she would stop and flat iron instead cause it would be BETTER for her scalp, but baby steps lol. I got her using some of my products for now.

Casarela

IMHO,

I think it depends in which state you manage your hair the BEST in terms of moisture and whatnots. As for myself, having a perm in my hair just makes it look so limp and my hair would look lifeless.

However, I remember that when my hair thrived a its best which means was in a healthy state and growing w/o setbacks was when I was texlaxed because my hair is fine BUT dense. I had no issues to tackle in terms of single strand knots . It was easy to get it straight by rollersetting only and rock it curly 80% of the time. Why did I go natural? because I cannot rely on a stranger regardless of how long ive known her to do my hair especially putting chemicals in my hair.

However, do I bother to do my hair straight? Naw, because its just not what I want. Each to its own as long as you take care of your hair your good too go.