HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

youwillrise

i love castor oil, i probably use too much because im heavy handed with EVERYTHING. im doing better, though. trying not to overdo it.

youwillrise

just got back from walgreens and getting the shea moisture ointment. maaaaaaaaaaaaan this stuff IS hard to get out of the tube. sheesh.

youwillrise

hmmm. i think this shea moisture baby ointment miiiiight actually work for me as a regular sealant. by regular i mean in a non-LOC moisture kind of way? i did use it with LOC last night with my shower and i was kinda iffy at first.

when i woke up my hair was kind "eh"

this morning, i sprayed my hair with plain water and then put more of the butter/ointment on top and ive been feeling my hair all day and it feels pretty good. my hair is kind of gunky, so i think i'll need a good deep cleansing before i can really tell though. i dunno. i think it might work for me, but im not saying a total 'yes' yet. i'll try it this weekend on cleaner hair. i think im going to try it with water as the moisturizer only...see if it can seal moisture in well with just that.

youwillrise

so ive been using the shea moisture ointment...and at first i wasnt really completely sure...it was kind of iffy

but i really like it. ive been using it consistently and it does a great job of sealing and keeping my hair smooth.

it's actually been a fairly good hair winter so far.

southerncitygirl

i moisturize my hair with any of these claudie's products:
murumuru-acai butter
balancing ends insurance
quinoa-coffee balancing
isha hair cream

i seal with 3 or more of the following:
evco
evoo
castor or jbco
kukui
meadowfoam
sapote
hemp

i have been sealing the last 2-3 inches of my hair with west african shea butter at least 3 days a week. i just started last week and i see a huge difference.....i put it on my radiator to melt. when i don't have shea i'll use castor this way. i see a huge difference in my ends and its only been a week. thx for sharing Bublin

Ash25 this maybe of interest to ya

jesusislove1526

It is so dry these days, I have been using strictly castor oil to seal with and on my scalp. Generally during the spring and summer, I use a castor/grapeseed/evoo mix on my scalp and ends. I use the LOC method with water, Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil cream and castor oil, but I think I may try using my cowash conditioner on my ends before the oil sometimes.

Last edited:

WantNatural

I love Crisco for sealing my hair. I focus heavily on the ends and then apply to the length of my hair. It's a keeper!

deedoswell

I've just found this thread and it is very interesting. I have had shedding when I run my fingers through my hair the morning after M&S. I just may have try this LOC method.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I heard that fine hair doesnt enjoy heavy products. But does this method work for any fined hair ladies?

Yep. I don't think that it's necessarily that fine hair doesn't enjoy it I think it's just a matter of preference.

I don't think I've read once on lhcf that fine hair does not like greaSE. I think it's the women that don't like the grease. for whatever reasons it's gotten a bad rap.

my hair loves grease and not the thim pommade in the op. It likes heavy petrolatum. I always retain so much more when I use it.

coolsista-paris

youwillrise

i have fine strands and my hair responds well...i probably use more than i should, but still...ive found that just using regular oils dont work as well for me. the heavy sealing definitely helps....especially in the colder months.

coolsista-paris

DarkJoy
youwillrise

I think ill give it à try. Especially on my ends. I need better rétention here. on my reggie i dc overnight and rinse wash thé next day. I always blow dry (its every 15 days).

When i blow dry i use ic fantasia heat serum which has silicones in it apparenly. I apply other blow dry then add à little s curl.

Should i seal with my magic cocunut grease after thé s curl??

Does moisture still enter if i moisturize days after using the grease with petroloneum ?

This whole moisture ,loc thing is confusing me.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy
@youwillrise

I think ill give it à try. Especially on my ends. I need better rétention here. on my reggie i dc overnight and rinse wash thé next day. I always blow dry (its every 15 days).

When i blow dry i use ic fantasia heat serum which has silicones in it apparenly. I apply other blow dry then add à little s curl.

Should i seal with my magic cocunut grease after thé s curl??

Does moisture still enter if i moisturize days after using the grease with petroloneum ?

This whole moisture ,loc thing is confusing me.

coolsista-paris you can seal after you blow dry, I suppose.

Generally, I use grease when my hair is moist from water to do twist out styles. I just put a little on the length and ends mostly--however I have a sulfur containing grease for my scalp and my growth takes off! In general, grease holds my style a little longer and keeps it moist without any additional products for ~3days (unless I feel like adding oil).

It also helps on straight styles. My fine hair is wispy and is always flying all over my head if I straighten and the style lasts as long as it takes me to step outside in the breeze :spinning:. The weight of grease is good if you have that problem. Just a fingerful is enough!

I feel like moisture does get in AFTER the grease has worn out of my hair--around that 3 days.Generally I'll co-wash again anyway and start over.

Silicons break my fine hair (when grease doesn't). So I can't answer that particular question about silicons and grease together.

itismehmmkay

I love grease. I'm interested in trying it for my rollersets now. I'm not doing no flowy-wearing-out rollersets. I plan to just grease them down and make them stiff curls for my headband anyway. So a lil grease beforehand might make for an even softer and more set rollerset. I've been looking for a heavier leave-in anyway.

coolsista-paris

coolsista-paris you can seal after you blow dry, I suppose.

Generally, I use grease when my hair is moist from water to do twist out styles. I just put a little on the length and ends mostly--however I have a sulfur containing grease for my scalp and my growth takes off! In general, grease holds my style a little longer and keeps it moist without any additional products for ~3days (unless I feel like adding oil).

It also helps on straight styles. My fine hair is wispy and is always flying all over my head if I straighten and the style lasts as long as it takes me to step outside in the breeze :spinning:. The weight of grease is good if you have that problem. Just a fingerful is enough!

I feel like moisture does get in AFTER the grease has worn out of my hair--around that 3 days.Generally I'll co-wash again anyway and start over.

Silicons break my fine hair (when grease doesn't). So I can't answer that particular question about silicons and grease together.

Wow.i also have natural 4b fine hair. So im.wondering if my fantasia ic heat serum (with silicons) is doing bad to my hair.without me.realizing à thing. Oh my :-/

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
coolsista-paris if the 'cones aren't drying or breaking off the ends then don't worry about.

Mine consistently stays dry with silicones in conditioners and styling agents. It also starts to break within hours with silicone conditioners. I found this out experimenting these last 6 months. No wonder I couldn't get past sl my whole life!

But not everyone is so sensitive. Go cone free for a month and then reintroduce them and see.

Aggie

^^^Cones have an averse effect on my hair ONLY IF I don't clarify my hair in a timely fashion. If I am not using much products with cones, I can clarify once every 3 weeks but if I am using them, then I would have to clarify once every 10 days or so. I don't mind though because my clarifying shampoo is sulfate-free anyway.

I have been feverishly working at getting sulfates out of my hair regimen. I have only 2 bottles of sulfate shampooos still left in my stash (1 Redken Smooth Down and 1 Kerastase Bain Substantif) and when those are done - no more sulfate poos for me.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

I used castor oil (jbco) this go round on the last 2-3 inches of the hair. My ends are still feeling nice:yep:.

i moisturize my hair with any of these claudie's products:
murumuru-acai butter
balancing ends insurance
quinoa-coffee balancing
isha hair cream

i seal with 3 or more of the following:
evco
evoo
castor or jbco
kukui
meadowfoam
sapote
hemp

i have been sealing the last 2-3 inches of my hair with west african shea butter at least 3 days a week. i just started last week and i see a huge difference.....i put it on my radiator to melt. when i don't have shea i'll use castor this way. i see a huge difference in my ends and its only been a week. thx for sharing @Bublin

@Ash25 this maybe of interest to ya

coolsista-paris

Thanks ladies.
I dont find my hair dry at all.
The only time i use cônes is when i blow dry every 15 days. My heat serum. Ic fantasia. ive had no problems with dryness. When my balance is right i have no breakage .

PlainJane

Where was I in 2012 when this thread was circulating?
I'm starting to experiment with grease as a heavy sealant and I'm liking the results so far.
Anyone else still heavy sealing?

Angelbean

I still heavy seal...not as much in the summer but come fall I will be breaking out all my pomades and greases!!

coolsista-paris

Where was I in 2012 when this thread was circulating? I'm starting to experiment with grease as a heavy sealant and I'm liking the results so far. Anyone else still heavy sealing?

i was before relaxing. im trànsitionning and i will surely be using grease!

that leaves my hair soft!

felic1

I would like to thank the people that pulled up this old thread. I read the whole 36 pages last night. It was an informative and interesting read:yep: