Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I'm 33 weeks post today.
Wearing the usual bun. I washed and slicked my hair down with gel Saturday night. Haven't touched it since. Thankfully my scalp isn't bothered by infrequent washing.

daviine

I am still very confused by how y'all keep buns in so long. I play in my hair way too much. Plus how do you sleep? Do you have to slick your edges down again every day?

I finally started taking biotin today. I started with 1 mg. I'll up it next week if I remember. Then I'll up it again afterwards.

I am still very confused by how y'all keep buns in so long. I play in my hair way too much. Plus how do you sleep? Do you have to slick your edges down again every day?

I finally started taking biotin today. I started with 1 mg. I'll up it next week if I remember. Then I'll up it again afterwards.

@daviine

The gel keeps my hair down for a few days. It'll likely look rough in a couple more days. Lol. I haven't been playing in my hair lately.

The bun is small. I sleep with my hair wrapped up.

This Revlon gel stylish brush has worked well for me. My hair stays down longer since I bought it about a month ago.

Leslie_C

daviine Im confused too lol...I have to redo mine daily bc even by the end of the day it looks crazy. But I do kind of messy buns. I dont like a lot of gel, it bothers my scalp and makes it itch. Maybe flax seed gel would be ok.

Candice C...Thanks for the pic of the brush....is it hard bristled? My thing is I need hairpins/bobby pins to secure my bun and I take them out when I get home in the evenings bc it kind of hurts my head a little by the end of the day. I do my buns by making a puff (a tight puff to slick it down, but I loosen it some) and pinning the ends around the base...it fees good to release it at the end of the day lol. I think I can get away with just smoothing the outer layer and redoing my bun's in the mornings to cut down on manipulation...but my hair is so dry I feel like I need to M&S daily. Is your hair dry and brittle when you take it down after the week?

@daviine Im confused too lol...I have to redo mine daily bc even by the end of the day it looks crazy. But I do kind of messy buns. I dont like a lot of gel, it bothers my scalp and makes it itch. Maybe flax seed gel would be ok.

@Candice C...Thanks for the pic of the brush....is it hard bristled? My thing is I need hairpins/bobby pins to secure my bun and I take them out when I get home in the evenings bc it kind of hurts my head a little by the end of the day. I do my buns by making a puff (a tight puff to slick it down, but I loosen it some) and pinning the ends around the base...it fees good to release it at the end of the day lol. I think I can get away with just smoothing the outer layer and redoing my bun's in the mornings to cut down on manipulation...but my hair is so dry I feel like I need to M&S daily. Is your hair dry and brittle when you take it down after the week?

@Leslie_C The brush is firm, but not hard. I think it works well because the bristles are close together.

I've mentioned before, but didn't mention in my latest post that the back part where I place the bun is braided with extension hair (multiple braids.) Like a protective style within a protective style. The rest of my hair covers it. That help keeps the bun in place too I'm sure.

I'll be playing in my hair, moisturizing it by Friday night. Lol. I'll break out the headband at that point to keep my hair down. If it feels too dry I'll wash it. At this point I'm able to go every two weeks washing my hair.

JJamiah

I moisturized and rebraided my hair back into my large big momma braids LOL, and put a clip on it and wore it out :giggle: someone actually said my hair looked nice. I :look: and said thanks and laughed

Eclipse

I'm 36 weeks post today. It seemed that as I was going to the salon every 2-3 weeks to get my hair pressed, my stylist was becoming more impatient with my hair. At my last visit, she didn't the take the time to properly detangle before blow-drying and basically did it with the paddle brush; I knew it was time for me to find another transitioning method. I finally decided to try wigs out. I really do not like the wig look so I ended up cutting the part out, like I saw on you tube. It came out really cute and is similar to my normal style. I'm loving this solution because I have direct access to my hair daily and can co-wash as often as I need to. Definitely a keeper! I think I'll be able to transition as long as I want with this method.

Last edited:

daviine

Nice match @Eclipse. So beautiful-- your wig and your hair. :D

My normal style lately is HAM and there is no wig to match that look. Seriously though, i wanted a straight wig but it would have to be a full wig. With a straight half wig I'd have to flat iron or blow dry my edges to get it to blend with the wig. So I got a curly half wig and it is so big to me. I've never worn my hair that curly but I figured I'd get used to big hair but now I'm not so sure about the wig. Plus my husband laughed at me so I don't know anymore.

I'd love to transition partially with wigs but I have to get my nerve up and get a good-looking wig like yours.

Last edited:

Eclipse

daviine said:
Nice match Eclipse. So beautiful-- your wig and your hair. :D

My normal style lately is HAM and there is no wig to match that look. Seriously though, i wanted a straight wig but it would have to be a full wig. With a straight half wig i'd have to flat iron or blow dry my edges to get it to blend with the wig. So I got up a curly half wig and it is so big to me. I've never worn my hair that curly but I figured I'd get used to Big hair but now I'm not so sure about the wig. Plus my husband laughed at me so I don't know anymore.

I'd love to transition partially with wigs but I have to get my nerve up and get a good-looking wife like yours.

Thanks Diviine !! My husband laughs at me as well. He even put in on and started running around laughing at me while I was chasing him. LOL

Getting up the nerve was really hard; I just try not to focus on it.

shortt29

I'm 36 weeks post today. It seemed that as I was going to the salon every 2-3 weeks to get my hair pressed, my stylist was becoming more impatient with my hair. At my last visit, she didn't the take the time to properly detangle before blow-drying and basically did it with the paddle brush; I knew it was time for me to find another transitioning method. I finally decided to try wigs out. I really do not like the wig look so I ended up cutting the part out, like I saw on you tube. It came out really cute and is similar to my normal style. I'm loving this solution because I have direct access to my hair daily and can co-wash as often as I need to. Definitely a keeper! I think I'll be able to transition as long as I want with this method.

The first two pics are of my self-made 'u-part' wig and the third is of my last salon visit.

Your hair and the wig look great!!!! I wish you were close to help me wig it :ohwell:

daviine

Eclipse said:
Thanks Diviine !! My husband laughs at me as well. He even put in on and started running around laughing at me while I was chasing him. LOL

Getting up the nerve was really hard; I just try not to focus on it.

My husband did the same. I posted about it a few days ago. I didn't chase him though. I pulled out the relaxer :look: and then we got in an argument... You don't even want to know...

Now he's like, "Aren't you going to wear your wig?". Whatever dude.

Ohhh and ummmm .... I'm seriously considering texturizing Thing 1 and Thing 2 if I can't figure them out.

MsDee14

My husband did the same. I posted about it a few days ago. I didn't chase him though. I pulled out the relaxer :look: and then we got in an argument... You don't even want to know...

Now he's like, "Aren't you going to wear your wig?". Whatever dude.

Ohhh and ummmm .... I'm seriously considering texturizing Thing 1 and Thing 2 if I can't figure them out.

daviine Can you post a pic of thing1 and 2 if you haven't done so already. I want to see what you're working with to see if we can come up with other options besides the texturizer.

daviine

I thought I'd share this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxpPOmHXMX4 link to a u-part wig tutorial for afro hair.

I started watching it, but when I saw the materials she was pulling out I knew I was out of my league. But someone else here might find it useful.

MsDee14 Let me see if I have any. I tried to take some yesterday but I couldn't get a clear shot. My hair isn't really combed today so they don't stand out. They're all just part of one big happy afro puff that is my hairline, lol.

ChristmasCarol

You are officially my idol.
:worship2:

I am trying to go at least 36 months (I'm on month 14). Please post pictures when you're done! Also, how long was your hair after your last relaxer? Is the relaxed part still the same length as before you started transitioning or is most of it gone?

ezina

Time will fly by! I no longer think of my hair as "transitioning". After I BC'd a part my nape after about 18 months, my curiosity was satisfied and I could continue transitioning without the itch to cut. I just pretend I'm natural, lol.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your ?s...

My hair was full SL after my last relaxer. My nape and perimeter are all-natural, but I still have about 3-4 inches of relaxed hair left in the crown. When I chop in a few months, I'll be left with full MBL natural hair - which is right on target for 3 1/2 years growth - retaining 6 or 7 inches per year and then subtracting an inch or two for trims.

I'll def post pics when I finally LC (little chop)!!!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Exactly! But the more I read the reviews the more I think I can work with this flat iron. People swear it's better than a CHI. We'll see... Damn, these kinky twists!

Leave them in Ms.Lady LOL

The bun that I have been rocking this week has been in since Friday or Saturday. I slick the edges down and throw on a head scarf everynight and add a lil more gel in the AM if I sleep really bad that night. At the max I will redo my bun 2x/wk.

I started taking Biotin also when taking it since June 5 or 6 @ 5mg

chrisanddonniesmommy :wavey:

If you don't mind answering, how many inches of relaxed hair do you have left and how long is it when fully stretched?

Took one look at the pictures and thought you were natural... good job!:clapping:

I have about 4 or 5 inches in the front (if that) and about 3 or 4 in the back and crown. I only notice the inches when I'm twisting or untwisting. I know I can probably get it done and over with by cutting. But, just in case, I will wait it out; so, my hair's not completely uneven.

When stretched, I'm bsl.

Last edited:

Meemee6223

ZebraPrintLover said:
Leave them in Ms.Lady LOL

LOL, I will. These twist drive me crazy, though. I wash once a week but my scalp starts to feel irritated at about 5 days after I wash it. From there it's mayhem until I wash it. I don't think I will get twists again... I guess it's the twists that irritate my scalp. I dunno.

ResultsMayVary

9th month..
How do you guys handle breakage
(if any) ? My nape is almost completely natural all due to breakage so down styles (braidouts, twist outs, etc) don't really look "right" :ohwell: I wear a bun with the back going up in two big flat twists e v e r y d a y

Last edited:

Caramelangel247

ResultsMayVary said:
9th month..
How do you guys handle breakage (if any) ? My nape is almost completely natural all due to breakage so down styles (braidouts, twist outs, etc) don't really look "right" :ohwell: I wear a bun with the back going up in two big flat twists e v e r y d a y

My nape does the same thing. It has been okay lately since I've started Bunning my hair. I think this is happening to me because the cotton in my shirt is drying out my fragile ends.

If I don't want to do a bun I just twist and pin my ends right at the bottom of my hair line so it looks like it is down but my ends don't touch my shirt.

Maybe a little TLC when you apply leave in conditioner and evoo to seal the back better. Or I've seen cute styles on instagram where they twist up the back or bun in the back and leave the front down, or slick back the side and leave the top curly.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
tomorrow is wash day....I will be adding my DC on my dry hair before going for my morning walk.

JJamiah

Going to wash and wear a curl former set this weekend.

I have been wearing braid outs. Finally got the hang of hem.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Month 12: the shrinkage is crazy. I think I need to change my regimen because my hair is starting to drive me crazy. Maybe I need to co-wash more often.
A few days ago I was thinking to relax or texlax again and my SO talked me out of it. What keeps me going is thinking, right I've come this far so might as well finish it. That and visualising me rocking an all natural braid-out in October 2014 :)

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
ezina

Time will fly by! I no longer think of my hair as "transitioning". After I BC'd a part my nape after about 18 months, my curiosity was satisfied and I could continue transitioning without the itch to cut. I just pretend I'm natural, lol.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your ?s...

My hair was full SL after my last relaxer. My nape and perimeter are all-natural, but I still have about 3-4 inches of relaxed hair left in the crown. When I chop in a few months, I'll be left with full MBL natural hair - which is right on target for 3 1/2 years growth - retaining 6 or 7 inches per year and then subtracting an inch or two for trims.

I'll def post pics when I finally LC (little chop)!!!

Wow. Wow omgosh wow. I am toooo impressed. Natural MBL? What!!? You'd better grow on girl! and in 3 1/2 yrs? Wow, I am truly impressed and enthused about your upcoming chop.