Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

MsDee14

Ladies, are regular braidouts really practical for retaining our relaxed ends? I've been thinking, and it seems like and awful lot of manipulation to rebraid every night and unbraid every morning. Wouldn't that result in significant tangling on wash day? What are you ladies using as a regular style while transitioning?

I think that may be too much manipulation to re-braid nightly. Maybe you can do braid-n-curls or twist-n-curls instead? That way you can pineapple your hair nightly and preserve the style for almost up to a week.

My transition style are twists with my own hair, but when I do wear my hair out, I either ponytail roller-set it and rock the curls, do braid-outs which only last 2 days(then I bun after) and I do braid-n-curls that last up to 4 days.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Ladies, are regular braidouts really practical for retaining our relaxed ends? I've been thinking, and it seems like and awful lot of manipulation to rebraid every night and unbraid every morning. Wouldn't that result in significant tangling on wash day? What are you ladies using as a regular style while transitioning?

i'm about 10 months post and i have not done any braidouts.....

i but my hair in a bun mostly. i also wear half wigs if i want a change.

i deep condition and co wash twice a week and then i air dry in a ponytail and bun up the ends. that's my staple style for now. my hair would not be happy with me twisting it nightly.

daviine

newbeginnings2010 said:

newbeginnings2010

My thoughts exactly a few weeks ago. I stopped doing braidouts temporarily. I will resume when I figure out how to maximize the moisture in my hair and slow down the breakage. Braidouts seem to be too much manipulation for dry, fragile hair.

Btw, I saw your post in the other thread and I wanted to say that I did notice we were at similar points in our transition.I tried to post about it a few days ago but somehow I must have messed up because it never went through. When was your last relaxer? Mine was 11/12/11.

daviine

newbeginnings2010

I'm doing something but I don't know if its bunning. Do people keep their hair in the same bun all week because I can never do that. I always end up playing with my new growth and then messing up the all the trouble I went to of trying to smooth it down.

I use the scarf method to tie/smooth the hair down. It never really looks smooth just like super wavy so I wear a headband to cover up the new growth. Then I just pin up the relaxed ends. I tried to use like a super cute clip or pin. I really don't like idea of wearing a headband and a clip.

I just started doing that about two weeks ago though. I discovered that style by accident because I was trying to Caruso the back but it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it so I pinned it. This just reminded me know that I should keep trying to master that. I think it will be cute if I can get my hair to cooperate.

newbeginnings2010

@newbeginnings2010

I'm doing something but I don't know if its bunning. Do people keep their hair in the same bun all week because I can never do that. I always end up playing with my new growth and then messing up the all the trouble I went to of trying to smooth it down.

daviine

:lachen:I'm sorry, I had to laugh hard at the bolded because that is so me! I just looove my new growth so much that my bun never stays smooth. Headbands and hair accessories are also my new BFFs right now. I like the braidouts because they keep my new growth so smooth, but if they're going to cause me to lose my length later on, I'll only do them occasionally. Do you think bantu knotting nightly would be just as bad? Anyone feel free to answer.

Rae81

I had to have a talk with my hair today because it showed off big time yesterday when I washed it. I let my hair know that I was not happy that it decided that no matter what it was going to stay a tangled mess. It's been nine months and yesterday I was ready to relax my hair.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Meemee6223

Rae81 said:
I had to have a talk with my hair today because it showed off big time yesterday when I washed it. I let my hair know that I was not happy that it decided that no matter what it was going to stay a tangled mess. It's been nine months and yesterday I was ready to relax my hair.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

:lol:

I know what u mean! I looked long and hard at my hair last night. I am 8 months post as of April 20 and my hair has fought me most of the way but every time I think about a relaxer, the thought of mixing that concoction and slandering it on my hair and praying this won't be the one that makes me go bald like the ladies on youtube.... There's no way I'm going back to a relaxer!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

daviine

I miss not knowing what to do with my hair. At this point, I'm throwing anything in my hair. It will probably yield the same result as carefully planning what I'm going to put in my hair;; a HAM. Maybe I'll get lucky though and something will work...like my own personal hair lottery.

Gonna try not to cut or relax until July 1. Then August 16....then.....who knows?

Rae81

Today while washing my hair I noticed I have more new growth then I thought and that my hair is retaining some length. So maybe I won't have to transition as long as I want. The downside to seeing that my hair has gotten longer is that its going to be harder to cut

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Just checking in!

I've noticed that the longer my natural hair gets, the easier the transition is becoming...but the more anxious in getting to cut the rest off :lol:

I can now see the difference in textures, tighter curls in the back and sides, and loose ones in the front.

I'm at work watching YT videos contemplating whether I should wait the whole year or only 10 months before I BC.

A856

Just checking in!

I've noticed that the longer my natural hair gets, the easier the transition is becoming...but the more anxious in getting to cut the rest off :lol:

I can now see the difference in textures, tighter curls in the back and sides, and loose ones in the front.

I'm at work watching YT videos contemplating whether I should wait the whole year or only 10 months before I BC.

Totally agreed....I've cut a few inches last year...thinking about cutting more, but afraid of the major shrinkage:spinning:

ScorpioLove

hey ladies
i've attempted transitioning before. lasted 8 months but my mom was practically begging me to perm my hair cause it looked "crazy" and tangles were awful.
i really don't like perming my hair, i want to try and transition again.

if i can get over the issues i had the first time 1. tangles 2. style challenged
i think i can transition successfully this time.

im only 3.5 months post but i hope to do a 3 year transition

**is there a thread with the useful links to threads specifically for transitioners?

WriterGirl

Checking in at 15 months.

This will probably be it for me ladies. I had another "mini-chop" session with the scissors -- I couldn't stay away :lol:.

I have about 6-7 inches of natural hair --- about collar bone length stretched. I can put my hair in a small puff.

I have about an 1-2 inches left of relaxed hair and I didn't BC because I know it's psychological and chickened out.

I get my Senegalese twists on 5/19 for my Hawaii trip and so I will BC then. :yep:

That will give me a much deserved break and then I can revel in being fully natural!

newbeginnings2010

Ladies, I know many both natural, relaxed, and transitioning have said this, but I would like to reiterate that Shea Moisture is NOT a good product line for me and it is VERY drying. I was about to give in and give my roots a good, hard blow dry, but I really think it's the product. I think I can get some use out of the conditioner because it works just fine as a prepoo, but it's an AWFUL leave-in.

For now, I'm going back to my tried and true cone, Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat and sealing with Africa's Best Herbal oil. This worked really well to moisturize and lay down my relaxed and natural air dried hair in a smooth bun at 5 months post today. When I run out of what's left of the Butter Treat, I may try something cone-free, but until then I'm sticking with what works. For now, my hair likes cones!

Last edited:

daviine

Which Shea Moisture product? I have a few here but haven't tried them all. I'm so confused by the directions and/or lack of directions on the product. It can be a leave-in or a conditioner? Some products seem to do the same thing. I don't know--maybe I'm just nitpicking.

newbeginnings2010

@daviine
I have the line in the yellow-orange packaging. I have the entire line except the masque, which I tried and hated in the past. On my bottle the conditioner says it can be left in, but it's awful either way. I'm just glad it helps with detangling my hair before a wash because otherwise it would be in the garbage, wasted money.

WriterGirl

newbeginnings2010 I had to stop the Shea Moisture shampoo too as well. It may have something to do with the sea kelp. My hair is protein sensitive and maybe that ingredient had something to do with it. After a while, my hair started to get really dry and my protein/moisture balance was off.

As for cones? Girl, my hair loves some cones. I ain't gonna stop using them. :lol:

ResultsMayVary

How are you all combating thin ends (when styling)? My new growth is so thick that my damaged BKT ends are beginning to look see through in comparison when wearing braid/twist outs. I want to just cut them off but out of mere frustration more so than actual wanting them gone :nono:

Last edited:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Hello @qtslim83

Have you thought about mini-chopping or gradually cutting an inch at a time leading up to the end of the transition?

^^I co-sign this! Cut a inch every other month and it'll go much easier.

:wave: hi ladies!

I've been mini-chopped twice already. The first time about 3-4 inches and the second time 2 weeks ago, about 1 1/2 inches. Even with all the chopping I'm still a little past APL in the back. I'm probably going to go ahead and chop another couple of inches this weekend :grin:

My friends and co-workers are all saying the same thing: Women out here would love to have hair as long and thick as yours and here you go chopping it all off :rolleyes:

How are you all combating thin ends (when styling)? My new growth is so thick that my damaged BKT ends are beginning to look see through in comparison when wearing braid/twist outs. I want to just cut them off but out of mere frustration more so than actual wanting them gone :nono:

Since I'm close two years. I've been a ninja about them :lachen: I've been snipping them off.

ResultsMayVary, I usually put my ends on perm rods or tuck them into a bun.

I can't wait to BC! I just need to decide whether I want to do it:
a) The day I graduate from college (once I get home obviously, but probably not since we'll be going out to eat etc).
b) A random day afterwards?
c) Hold out until June 2nd so I can be an even 26 months?

[/the musings of a neurotic person] :drunk:

Last edited:

Rae81

I love this stuff. It has a lot of slip and detangles my hair real good

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120501_192327.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120501_192327.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 54

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'd love to see my hair's progress. And at the same time, I don't even want to know what my relaxed ends are looking like right about now. :nono: To peek or not to peek. That is the question. :look: