protein treatment 2 weeks after relaxer=bad idea?

blessedandlucky

i did this and now my hair is breaking/shedding and i don't know why. i washed it again used a dc and it's still happening.

i used aubrey organic's gbp conditioner and then did a deep conditioner with ntm recovery mask the first time and noticed that my hair was drier than usual and nothing helped. i was surprised it was so dry b/c i always prepoo with sweet almond oil. so, i washed again and used my regular shampoo (abba pure moisture) and another conditioner without any protein (mop extreme moisture). and, still i continue to break. when i comb, hair comes out. i usually just bun everyday except for valentine's day and early this week when i had an interview.

any thoughts or ideas?

i guess you're not supposed to use protein immediately after a relaxer?? is this correct? when do when you suggest i do a protein treatment?

thanks for reading and responding.

sqzbly1908

Hi B & L!!

Hmmm...GPB is a mild protein condish and 2 weeks is long enough to wait to use a protein condish...shucks, I would do a protein condish 2-3 days after a relaxer and have not had any issues...

I am wondering if you are having some porosity issues as you are using some good products...

pink gator

Wow.

Did you clarify?

Seems like you have some buildup that prevents the moisture from getting in.

When I have breakage, despite DC-ing faithfully, I clarify. And it works, too.

Hope that helps.

gymfreak336

You might need to clarify. You used GPB and then followed with NTM mask. Then the next wash you did a oil prepoo and washed with a mild shampoo. GPB is a protein conditioner but it also can moisturize so you might not have needed to follow it.
How long did you leave it on? How long did you leave in the NTM mask?

blessedandlucky

thanks for responding, ladies. i appreciate it.

can you tell me more about porosity issues?i'll do a board search as well.

any recommendations for a clarifying shampoo? one that isn't too harsh?

i left the gpb on for about 10 minutes and the ntm mask for about 10 minutes.

pink gator

thanks for responding, ladies. any recommendations for a clarifying shampoo? one that isn't too harsh?

I use an inexpensive bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying; I'll use that up and buy something a little "less" harsh. But it works well for me. I read that Kenra makes a really nice one.

I use only one sudsing of that and follow up with a more moisturizing poo. But then I make sure to DC afterward for at least 20 minutes.

blessedandlucky

thx for the detail, pink gator. i'm in a bit of rush so i went to target and picked up some nexxus aloe rid - their clarifying shampoo. i was looking for suave but didn't see any. so, i'll do what you suggest, wash once and use my abba pure moisture shampoo and dc.

janeemat

I have used protein 3-5 days following my relaxer without any problem. You just need to follow by a moisturizing conditioner. Did you have any problems before the protein treatment? Could you be overprocessed? If so, protein would be idea to strengthen your hair back. Hopefully you will get it under control.

lizjoseph

Are you sure it's breakage you are experiencing and not just normal shedding? You said that you bun everyday- do you comb through you hair everyday? Remember that you hair sheds constantly. If you are not combing or brushing through that to get rid of the shed hairs, then you will definitley see a build up of shed hair from between the time of your last wash and the next one.

Just want to put that out there. :)

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Hi B & L!!

Hmmm...GPB is a mild protein condish and 2 weeks is long enough to wait to use a protein condish...shucks, I would do a protein condish 2-3 days after a relaxer and have not had any issues...

I am wondering if you are having some porosity issues as you are using some good products...

You wait 2-3 days.... giiiirl, I dc with it immediately after I relax!!:grin:

I have not had any problems.

blessedandlucky

I have used protein 3-5 days following my relaxer without any problem. You just need to follow by a moisturizing conditioner. Did you have any problems before the protein treatment? Could you be overprocessed? If so, protein would be idea to strengthen your hair back. Hopefully you will get it under control.

i didn't have a problem before and i'm really surprised this is happening now. my hair doesn't generally break or shed like this. i'm not overprocessed. i didn't relax after i was almost 12 weeks post. i did follow with a moisturizing conditioner both times i washed - once ntm mask and the next time mop extreme moisture.

blessedandlucky

Are you sure it's breakage you are experiencing and not just normal shedding? You said that you bun everyday- do you comb through you hair everyday? Remember that you hair sheds constantly. If you are not combing or brushing through that to get rid of the shed hairs, then you will definitley see a build up of shed hair from between the time of your last wash and the next one.

Just want to put that out there. :)

maybe that's it. it's just freaking me out because when i do comb my hair comes with it. thx.

sqzbly1908

LOL...Girl everytime I see your name - "Top Notch - not the most but the less..."(lol)

I do a protein before I neutralize and then do a moisturizing after I neutralize -since "Protein is my Friend" I will definitely try it after my next retouch or just mix it up...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
GET POROSITY CONTROL!!! :yep::yep:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
LOL...Girl everytime I see your name - "Top Notch - not the most but the less..."(lol)

I do a protein before I neutralize and then do a moisturizing after I neutralize -since "Protein is my Friend" I will definitely try it after my next retouch or just mix it up...

:grin: Is that a commercial? I've that name since my vein days in high school!

cicilypayne

Okay I'm no expert but I think you got relaxer trouble not protein trouble chances r the relaxer was old, not mixed well, the neutrilizer was not used or something to that effect. I will do a apple cider vinegar rinse ASAP. then use a moisturizer then a mild protein like aphogee 2 minute:yep:

butterfly3582

I usually do it 2-3 days after and follow up with a DC that includes Roux prosity (love this stuff)

Off subject topnotch your growth is amazing.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
^^^...what she and Ciclypayne said. The Roux Porosity Control is meant to bring the PH back to your hair and fix problems associated with porous hair. It can't hurt.

aja1121

Exactly, it's best to restore the protein and moisture immediately after a relaxer. So no, you did not do it too soon. The other suggestions were right on point. Clarify or Chelate first and then if that doesn't help, try the Porosity control.

blessedandlucky

Exactly, it's best to restore the protein and moisture immediately after a relaxer. So no, you did not do it too soon. The other suggestions were right on point. Clarify or Chelate first and then if that doesn't help, try the Porosity control.

i'm going to clarify tonight and will let everyone know how it goes. thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and responses.

blessedandlucky

whew!!!! my hair is back! i'm sooo happy. so, i used the aloe rid and followed it with abba pure moisture and then conditioned the hell outta it and proceeded as usual. it came out great, feels great and looks great. who knew that clarifying would make such a difference. it makes sense though b/c my daily moisturizer has some cones in it and my deep conditioner does too. i'm thinking that the protein conditioner, even though it is mild, made my hair dry because it had so much build-up. my efforts at moisturizing were not working at all. now, my hair feels like it should.

thank you soooo much, ladies. i really appreciate it. i'm still fairly new and didn't even think about clarifying. thanks again!

ellebelle88

Wow, I have to get me some of that aloe rid. I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo and that thing is harsh. HARSH, I tell ya.

pink gator

whew!!!! who knew that clarifying would make such a difference. it makes sense though b/c my daily moisturizer has some cones in it and my deep conditioner does too.

thank you soooo much, ladies. i really appreciate it. i'm still fairly new and didn't even think about clarifying. thanks again!

Yep, clarifying does wonders! Glad it worked for you! :yep:

pink gator

Wow, I have to get me some of that aloe rid. I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo and that thing is harsh. HARSH, I tell ya.

And that it is!!! LOL! I actually bought it a couple years ago to get some sticky Pantene coating off my Italian Yaki and been using it since.

I just use a dime-sized drop. Anything more would be abrasive! LOL!